16371742940994646543293548737052 (resized).jpg
16371742711027226299469432029104 (resized).jpg
Mylar_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_6879 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_224614 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_215405 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_205327 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_202751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

To date I have not fixed over a dozen games both Stern and JJP.

Hoping that is a typo for "now"

#143 4 years ago

I am very tempted to try the "playfield iron" myself. Have you had any failures or any cases where doing it made things worse?

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yelobird: Could you please elaborate on the UV light step? Is this done immediately after pressing the area down with the iron? Can the UV light step be done at anytime before mylar and washers?
Can someone post a link to the Titan washers? Are these better than the Lowe's washers that we previously recommended?

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=154

I never tried the Lowe's ones but these are thinner than the gummy ones I got from Amazon.

1 month later
#172 4 years ago

I just wanted to ad that @yelobird's technique worked very well. The ripples flattened right out, I sealed with the vinyl rings from PinMonk and topped with Titan playfield washers.

2 months later
#190 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Every time this thread gets bumped I'm reminded about how annoyed I am that my playfield artwork is chipping off the field. Grr.

Did you try the repair? It really does work and might give you some peace.

2 months later
#199 3 years ago

This playfield iron trick is one of those things that seems to crazy to work, but does.

6 months later
#204 3 years ago
Quoted from kell:

How'd it go? Any tips for those about to attempt?

Be conservative - a few seconds at a time and don't move side to side.
Be aware that the iron seems to get hotter the longer it is plugged in, so be careful not to overdo it.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Hey yelobird, do you know if anyone has used the iron on the playfield BEFORE the pooling started? I have a deposit on a GnR and am wondering if it would be a good preventative measure rather than the wait and see method. Thanks

My head exploded - never try to fix what isn't broken!

#213 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I like to think of it like a cliffy or mylar. Worth a shot if it prevents the pooling in the first place and does not hurt the playfield. If they did this at the factory, then maybe it would help stop the issue from showing up in the first place. I am trying not to go down the rabbit hole.

I absolutely, positively, would NOT recommend heating up the playfield "just in case." I would ONLY do this on already-damaged (pooled) surface, and only in extremely careful short doses.

If you want to pyt down mylar or Titan playfield washers, that would be preventative. Applying heat will do nothing good to an undamaged clearcoat.

I am begging you NOT to do this.

6 months later
#251 2 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Just FYI, the iron caused the clear to crack around one of my posts. It was probably my fault for leaving the iron on too long (everyone else seems to have had great results), but be careful!

Yes,the iron has no thermostat so it just gets hotter and hotter. Unplug it and cool it down frequently. The least heat possible to do the job is what you want.

#259 2 years ago
Quoted from MeesterPieter:

just thinking aloud here but maybe the ironing doesnt only harden the clear enough to not crack up again but may it also make the inking better stick to the playfield? if so this could also be used as a preventive measure in a new game with playfield susceptible to pooling and chipping?

I -strongly- advise against this.

I had some art lifting under a post on Wonka CE - it was otherwise perfect (no pooling etc) and I decided to iron it down as a "pre-emptive" fix.
The first time I did it, it worked. The second time, I overheated it and the clear lifted and cracked.

It's fortunately not in a gameplay area and I bought myself a playfield anyway because we play the everloving crap out of that game, so I'm gruntled.

Let my mistake inform others: never fix what isn't broken, beware the iron heat, only iron if you're pooled and need to do it to arrest damage.

#261 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Agreed. Preemptive just install Mylar we are not making a grilled cheese here! Also, the iron does Not have a temp gauge. Prepare the area Then plug in the iron. It should be overly warm Not lava hot! The only people that said they had an issue let the iron heat for 5 plus minutes then tried to repair. Do not do that! Plug it in and use within 60 seconds. When repaired Unplug it to cool.

Definitely unplug it between applications. It's a very crude device and will just heat and heat and heat.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
12,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-playfield-post-repair-and-chip-proofing-how-to-all-brands?tu=zaphX and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.