16371742940994646543293548737052 (resized).jpg
16371742711027226299469432029104 (resized).jpg
Mylar_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_6879 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_224614 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_215405 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_205327 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_202751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

A very small iron with a smooth flat disk iron plate.

You have some serious balls! Good job.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

That’s my theory also. Seems (in my opinion) when the industry went to high speed direct wood printers these issues started creeping up. (Or pooling up). The clear no mater how soft needs to bond to something fixed.

The clear should not be soft like it is! If the artwork is debonding, that is a separate issue being made worse by the soft clearcoat...not the other way around. We have seen the debonding before on games with hard clear coat. Look at the issues with WoZ before they started putting mylar in the pop bumper areas.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

f as witnessed on my game the art is coiling up with the clear leaving only fresh virgin wood you don’t think there might be an art bonding possible issue?

I didn't say that. To be more clear (excuse the pun), I'm saying there are two separate issues. First is the soft clear and second is the debonding. The soft clear may be making the art debond issue much worse but they are still two separate issues. A nice hard clear over that same art that is not well bonded will most likely cover, protect and prevent art debond as long as it doesn't chip.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Considered getting one of those surface hardness testers to verify if the clear is actually getting harder and to what percentage over testing with my nail or wood screw poke.

At work we use Shore hardness testers whenever we are using epoxies, RTVs or potting material. A small sample is put into a tiny plastic cup and allowed to cure right next to the location which the material is installed. That way it cures in the same temperature and humidity as the work location. Once 24 hours has passed we use a Shore A or Shore D tester depending on the material hardness. If the sample doesn't pass the specified hardness, we know the material did not cure properly and we have a problem.

For clear coat, I would think this would be Shore-D, but the problem is the clear is very thin and you might basically be testing the wood underneath. Best case would be to test at an area of pooling where the clear is thicker. That is the most likely location that the clear has not cured properly. Even still, this is probably not a great applications for a hardness tester...

The playfield suppliers should be keeping sample cups of each material they use for later testing. If not, everyone involved should go read up on ISO 9001.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

From what I can tell, none of these companies are ISO certified! If they are, I would like the contact information for the company that audits them. Their internal processes are obviously failing or not being adhered too. If they were to become ISO certified, they would be selling a quality product and these issues would go away.

Yeah I didn't figure they were certified. A company like JJP or Stern really should be at least compliant with the basic ideas of ISO. No need to spend the money on certifications that no one is requiring.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-playfield-post-repair-and-chip-proofing-how-to-all-brands?tu=John_I and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.