IMG_20191020_143028166 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191020_142426869 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191020_142419549 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191020_122941222 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191020_113343579 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191001_115534541 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191001_115626086 (resized).jpg
bill-nye-dolph-lundgren (resized).jpg

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 5 months ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Just FYI, the iron caused the clear to crack around one of my posts. It was probably my fault for leaving the iron on too long (everyone else seems to have had great results), but be careful!

Yes,the iron has no thermostat so it just gets hotter and hotter. Unplug it and cool it down frequently. The least heat possible to do the job is what you want.

#252 5 months ago
Quoted from Shmilder:

Can someone post a link to the iron. I'm in Australia but can't find one anywhere, here or international.

Just be carefull. Due to the chemicals in the kit I had two irons returned by Aus Customs. Had to ask the seller to remove chemicals and just send Iron to finally get one here.

#253 5 months ago

just thinking aloud here but maybe the ironing doesnt only harden the clear enough to not crack up again but may it also make the inking better stick to the playfield? if so this could also be used as a preventive measure in a new game with playfield susceptible to pooling and chipping?

#254 5 months ago

Putting Mylar washers on my GNR SE this weekend. No pooling on mine. Arrived fall last year.

#255 5 months ago
Quoted from MeesterPieter:

just thinking aloud here but maybe the ironing doesnt only harden the clear enough to not crack up again but may it also make the inking better stick to the playfield? if so this could also be used as a preventive measure in a new game with playfield susceptible to pooling and chipping?

I would not be able to verify that though I suspect the applied ink is not an adhesive layer so likely would not be assisted. If however they are base coating the playfield with a layer of cure Then applying ink then possibly it could assist to adhere there.

#256 5 months ago

Where do you get the Mylar washers?

#257 5 months ago

With all of the continuing playfield issue threads it Sadly appears this problem is still far from resolved at the OEM level. While this repair Does work very well I do want to Strongly suggest a preemptive suggestion to hopefully avoid doing this repair in the first place! When you get your game take 15 minutes to pull the primary posts at the slings and install mylar protectors Before the damage appears! While not a 100% guarantee I feel certain this preemptive measure will drastically reduce the probability. Having the surface bonded as one large layer should help prevent it from spreading independently and reduce the probability of that surface rolling and eventually cracking! Again, just an opinion and yes does not seem fair that we need to service a New machine but it is what it is for now. Good Luck!

#258 5 months ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Where do you get the Mylar washers?

I wanted to Avoid this as I did NOT want this help thread to come across as a Sales thread but due to Soooooo many emails we are going to offer these on our site for as Cheap as we can. No Profit! Just to hopefully entice people to preemptively try to prevent this. Will be listed today.

#259 5 months ago
Quoted from MeesterPieter:

I -strongly- advise against this.

I had some art lifting under a post on Wonka CE - it was otherwise perfect (no pooling etc) and I decided to iron it down as a "pre-emptive" fix.
The first time I did it, it worked. The second time, I overheated it and the clear lifted and cracked.

It's fortunately not in a gameplay area and I bought myself a playfield anyway because we play the everloving crap out of that game, so I'm gruntled.

Let my mistake inform others: never fix what isn't broken, beware the iron heat, only iron if you're pooled and need to do it to arrest damage.

#260 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I -strongly- advise against this.
I had some art lifting under a post on Wonka CE - it was otherwise perfect (no pooling etc) and I decided to iron it down as a "pre-emptive" fix.
The first time I did it, it worked. The second time, I overheated it and the clear lifted and cracked.
It's fortunately not in a gameplay area and I bought myself a playfield anyway because we play the everloving crap out of that game, so I'm gruntled.
Let my mistake inform others: never fix what isn't broken, beware the iron heat, only iron if you're pooled and need to do it to arrest damage.

Agreed. Preemptive just install Mylar we are not making a grilled cheese here! Also, the iron does Not have a temp gauge. Prepare the area Then plug in the iron. It should be overly warm Not lava hot! The only people that said they had an issue let the iron heat for 5 plus minutes then tried to repair. Do not do that! Plug it in and use within 60 seconds. When repaired Unplug it to cool.

#261 5 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Agreed. Preemptive just install Mylar we are not making a grilled cheese here! Also, the iron does Not have a temp gauge. Prepare the area Then plug in the iron. It should be overly warm Not lava hot! The only people that said they had an issue let the iron heat for 5 plus minutes then tried to repair. Do not do that! Plug it in and use within 60 seconds. When repaired Unplug it to cool.

Definitely unplug it between applications. It's a very crude device and will just heat and heat and heat.

#262 5 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I wanted to Avoid this as I did NOT want this help thread to come across as a Sales thread but due to Soooooo many emails we are going to offer these on our site for as Cheap as we can. No Profit! Just to hopefully entice people to preemptively try to prevent this. Will be listed today.

THANK GOD. Nothing will make me happier than someone else offering mylar washers. People were ordering like a Small and a Medium 10 pack before. Now, with this GnR fiasco, people are ordering like ten 10 packs at a time. It's crazy. Tons of backorders because I just wasn't ready for the massive volume spike. More than happy to have you take the Mylar washer mantle.

#263 5 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I went to your site to buy some and could not find them. Just some feedback from a old guy.

#264 5 months ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I went to your site to buy some and could not find them. Just some feedback from a old guy.

Sorry not old I am just Slow... lol I promise to have them up Tonight.

#265 4 months ago

A product we are sad to offer but unfortunately for now you have to protect your investment. These mylar rings can be used after playfield repair using an iron etc. I however STRONGLY suggest using these to protect the playfield post areas BEFORE damage happens! A preemptive solution. Very simple to install and while not guaranteed has proven to mitigate or avoid issues long term which are often not reversible once the damage is done. Take a few minutes to protect your investment! This size was designed to support Both large and small playfield posts. You do Not want anything smaller as the goal is to bond that mass area as one so it stays together and does not pool up or allow the post to bite in or twist the surface area. Kit is sold as a pack of (10) which should be enough for most any game. Free US shipping on this kit!

www.TheModCouplePinball.com

IMG_6879 (resized).jpgMylar_1 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#266 4 months ago

If the iron just hearts up forever, my ghetto heat gun / measuring cup idea is probably better because the heat is so controlled.

See post 192: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-playfield-post-repair-and-chip-proofing-how-to-all-brands/page/4#post-5527572

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside