16371742940994646543293548737052 (resized).jpg
16371742711027226299469432029104 (resized).jpg
Mylar_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_6879 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_224614 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_215405 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_205327 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_202751 (resized).jpg
There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 4 years ago

PinballSTAR thanks for you candidness I have a NIB on order and I appreciate you not shipping machines I have asked my distributor to not ship mine until they know why this is happening. They have agreed. I do not like that a washer is placed under a post and I believe that is a mistake. I agree that if you have a machine and this is the issue proceed with caution. Where I am having difficulty is these companies are not giving much if any information to distributors let alone directly to customers.

John

#102 4 years ago

I really appreciate the high signal-to-noise ratio on this thread, thanks guys. Has anyone removed a metal washer and seen it pull up clear or art? I’m going to replace mine with PETG, and I wonder if sooner is better than later.

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I really appreciate the high signal-to-noise ratio on this thread, thanks guys. Has anyone removed a metal washer and seen it pull up clear or art? I’m going to replace mine with PETG, and I wonder if sooner is better than later.

In my opinion and from image feedback from others most any rigid washer from steel to PETG will have the same result.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I don’t disagree you should be able to witness Jesus tap dancing on a PF there seems to be an issue so why risk it and you yourself cause more damage. What is the purpose of removing a post at this stage ? Curiosity ? Someone posted about a Stern with their washers sunk into the clear - if you maybe took a post off and that washer came up with it you now have a more serious uncorrectible problem. I’m just saying there no purpose, companies are saying not to, and as a distributor I don’t want my customers risking anything - leave it as is to be able to document what you have. I’m just trying to protect people is all. Frankly I think Dave’s fix is ingenious, but still I wouldn’t do that until the company you may want something you from later says to do it. Don’t void a warranty folks by making more damage. And no company has told me anything along those lines I’m just saying as a customers advocate that’s my advice.

But what about the JJP tech bulletin fix of replacing the thin posts with star posts?
You are required to remove a post in order to replace it.

Also - removing and re-installing posts should NOT void a warranty. That is normal pinball machine maintenance, and is ultimately required to maintain any game properly.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Anyone else think this is a direct print problem art to wood rather than a clear? Seems the art is sliding off the wood and the clear goes with it. No.issues with CGC who screens the playfields.

No issues with CGC other than their clear is also soft based on the dimpling I have on my MBrLE after only a couple hundred plays compared to even a |Stern from 2014 or earlier. I know from other threads the biggest issues appears to be a product of the latest formulation of clear coats used today. Some dimpling is normal however all the manufactures have the same issues and there is no way a game should look like a minefield with craters after a few hundred games.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

But what about the JJP tech bulletin fix of replacing the thin posts with star posts?
You are required to remove a post in order to replace it.
Also - removing and re-installing posts should NOT void a warranty. That is normal pinball machine maintenance, and is ultimately required to maintain any game properly.

I’m probably wrong and don’t speak for Joe (PinballStar) but I think he was simply talking about removing posts to DIY repair or simply investigate until the OEM has come to a solution verdict. I do believe his intentions to speak out were in good intention to protect his and other customers. Fingers crossed they will shed some light on this before the issue progresses to far.

#107 4 years ago

My Wonka had rippling clear under a couple star posts. Not sure when it started but I didn't notice it until Pinside posts made me look. Thankfully, no chipping.

Here is a fix that DOES NOT require heating and special tools:

Disassemble carefully. Twist parts to make sure they are lose as opposed to pulling up which might cause chipping.

Place a large metal flat washer on the rippled post area with the "smooth" edge of the washer down against the clear. I used 3/4"+ washers that were stock on stern games to protect the corners of the slings.

Install the star post and screw and FINGER tighten the post onto the washer. Leave it sit for 10 minutes and finger tighten some more. After several minutes, the clear will be perfectly flat again.

Install the protection of your choice. I used 3/4" rubber washers on the PF followed by a 3/4" PETG washer then the star post. So far so good!

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I really like your idea of adding a rigid washer over the clear rubber washer. Sounds like that would help distribute the pressure on the hollow post. May need to try that on a game. Did you try using the rigid clear acrylic washer with this method at one time to make it less obvious over the metal washer?

I have rubber washers (found both clear and black) at the bottom, then put a clear acrylic over those and then the double star post. I don't think it's entirely necessary, I just removed my rubber ones to check and there is basically no sign that they were there. That's why the kit I am selling doesn't have them. I never used metal ones. The double star posts from Marco have a pretty wide/flat lip on the bottom which seems to spread the load pretty good.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I have rubber washers (found both clear and black) at the bottom, then put a clear acrylic over those and then the double star post. I don't think it's entirely necessary, I just removed my rubber ones to check and there is basically no sign that they were there. That's why the kit I am selling doesn't have them. I never used metal ones. The double star posts from Marco have a pretty wide/flat lip on the bottom which seems to spread the load pretty good.

Thanks. I may see what posts are available if this doesn’t work. So far no sign of failure but time can change things. Thanks

#110 4 years ago

Haven't tried this yet, but am going to order the heating iron and possibly work on my Munsters LE soon. I did find another Amazon link for what appears to be the same product in newer packaging (check out the Item # on both packages... same) at a lower cost.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007TQWK6/ref=psdc_15718561_t1_B07JC7SFNS

Forgive me if this was already mentioned. If not, Dave you might want to update the first post... amounts to about $8 savings I think.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Haven't tried this yet, but am going to order the heating iron and possibly work on my Munsters LE soon. I did find another Amazon link for what appears to be the same product in newer packaging (check out the Item # on both packages... same) at a lower cost.
amazon.com link »
Forgive me if this was already mentioned. If not, Dave you might want to update the first post... amounts to about $8 savings I think.

Hey great find. I assumed it could be found cheaper. The AutoZone by me years ago had them for $5 granted I never assumed I would be using it for pinball repair. lol Odd the things you collect to work on pinball machines. I must have 20 of those free Harbor Freight LED lights now lol. Knock on wood my game still looks perfect after maybe another few weeks of play. Considered getting one of those surface hardness testers to verify if the clear is actually getting harder and to what percentage over testing with my nail or wood screw poke. Waiting to see what the OEM's conjure up for a solution before investing further into test apparatus to verify. Does seem pretty darn hard now though.

#112 4 years ago

Mine came in today from Amazon. I just adjusted the packaging a bit. ; )
Pin Repair Tool (resized).jpgPin Repair Tool (resized).jpg

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Mine came in today from Amazon. I just adjusted the packaging a bit. ; )
[quoted image]

Lol too funny love the creative touch! If you do proceed, do so slowly its really not that hard to do. Best of luck to you!

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Considered getting one of those surface hardness testers to verify if the clear is actually getting harder and to what percentage over testing with my nail or wood screw poke.

At work we use Shore hardness testers whenever we are using epoxies, RTVs or potting material. A small sample is put into a tiny plastic cup and allowed to cure right next to the location which the material is installed. That way it cures in the same temperature and humidity as the work location. Once 24 hours has passed we use a Shore A or Shore D tester depending on the material hardness. If the sample doesn't pass the specified hardness, we know the material did not cure properly and we have a problem.

For clear coat, I would think this would be Shore-D, but the problem is the clear is very thin and you might basically be testing the wood underneath. Best case would be to test at an area of pooling where the clear is thicker. That is the most likely location that the clear has not cured properly. Even still, this is probably not a great applications for a hardness tester...

The playfield suppliers should be keeping sample cups of each material they use for later testing. If not, everyone involved should go read up on ISO 9001.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

At work we use Shore hardness testers whenever we are using epoxies, RTVs or potting material. A small sample is put into a tiny plastic cup and allowed to cure right next to the location which the material is installed. That way it cures in the same temperature and humidity as the work location. Once 24 hours has passed we use a Shore A or Shore D tester depending on the material hardness. If the sample doesn't pass the specified hardness, we know the material did not cure properly and we have a problem.
For clear coat, I would think this would be Shore-D, but the problem is the clear is very thin and you might basically be testing the wood underneath. Best case would be to test at an area of pooling where the clear is thicker. That is the most likely location that the clear has not cured properly. Even still, this is probably not a great applications for a hardness tester...
The playfield suppliers should be keeping sample cups of each material they use for later testing. If not, everyone involved should go read up on ISO 9001.

From what I can tell, none of these companies are ISO certified! If they are, I would like the contact information for the company that audits them. Their internal processes are obviously failing or not being adhered too. If they were to become ISO certified, they would be selling a quality product and these issues would go away.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

From what I can tell, none of these companies are ISO certified! If they are, I would like the contact information for the company that audits them. Their internal processes are obviously failing or not being adhered too. If they were to become ISO certified, they would be selling a quality product and these issues would go away.

Yeah I didn't figure they were certified. A company like JJP or Stern really should be at least compliant with the basic ideas of ISO. No need to spend the money on certifications that no one is requiring.

#117 4 years ago

This is a very good read, thanks to all who contributed!

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah I didn't figure they were certified. A company like JJP or Stern really should be at least compliant with the basic ideas of ISO. No need to spend the money on certifications that no one is requiring.

Quoted from John_I:

I hear you. But, the cost is nothing compared to the benefit they gain from having quality processes in place. And having an outside company to work with, will push you to provide a quality product and streamline your processes. At a minimum, they should be ISO 9001 certified.

Being certified would help alleviate all of the problems they are currently facing and streamline their business. I could walk into one of this facilities and make them more profitable in 12-24 months. It would cut down on waste, reduce required manpower and cut back on warranty issues.

I have personally seen the small business owner adopt the ISO 9001 model and grow their business because of it.

For the small business owner, like spooky, it would set the foundation of a company that will survive recessions and be here decades from now.

Just look at many of the most profitable businesses. They are all certified, one way or another in their respective industries.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Good info. Yes, I was looking at the Shore hardness tester. Granted the results would be less then scientific when probing the raised areas I was simply curious if there was a measurable change from post and pre ironing... lol More for my own curiosity nothing more. Still holding off on buying any tools with hopes the OEM's come up with a plan B of sorts. Theres always hope. Thanks for the info though!

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Lol too funny love the creative touch! If you do proceed, do so slowly its really not that hard to do. Best of luck to you!

You can bet I'm going to try it! : )
I think it's genius. But I will be one of those that buys an extra playfield for their "Forever Pin". ; )

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

You can bet I'm going to try it! : )
I think it's genius. But I will be one of those that buys an extra playfield for their "Forever Pin". ; )

Just an suggestion but as it appears JJP is now randomly offering no cost replacement playfields Please see if you qualify before attempting any fix first! Hate to see you not get what you deserve. If you get a replacement no doubt fix it with no worries then you'll have a spare! Just a suggestion.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just an suggestion but as it appears JJP is now randomly offering no cost replacement playfields Please see if you qualify before attempting any fix first! Hate to see you not get what you deserve. If you get a replacement no doubt fix it with no worries then you'll have a spare! Just a suggestion.

Thankfully my JJP isn't having an issue. But my Beatles has "slight" pooling, and is well past warranty. I got the Iron as a "just in case" measure. : )
Thanks YB!

#123 4 years ago

Unfortunately, the initial pooling on an outlane post on my new Met Premium has morphed into cracking. I know the “iron” method is not going to help with that. If anyone knows the best way to repair this damage and/or prevent it from getting worse I’d appreciate it (assuming Stern doesn’t offer a replacement). Thanks.

935B53B4-7939-4298-9273-DDFF3C88FF71 (resized).jpeg935B53B4-7939-4298-9273-DDFF3C88FF71 (resized).jpeg
#124 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Unfortunately, the initial pooling on an outlane post on my new Met Premium has morphed into cracking. I know the “iron” method is not going to help with that. If anyone knows the best way to repair this damage and/or prevent it from getting worse I’d appreciate it (assuming Stern doesn’t offer a replacement). Thanks.[quoted image]

Sorry I don't think this repair will help much in that scenario as the clear has gone from jelly to hard to cracked. Beyond stopping that one now sadly. First suggestion as you have already done is document everything and submit to both Stern and your supporting distributor. After that best suggestion I can make is to lock that failed area with a piece of mylar offered at many locations including PinballLife and Marco. While it could be suggested to use a drop of water thin super glue I would be afraid your repair could get worse. Sad outcome hope you can get this mended.

#125 4 years ago

Minor sanity update. At this point I have repaired dozens of these now over many machines and so far No sign of further issue or failure. As I am still curious (and bored at times) I opted to order a shore hardness tester to do some Non scientific assessment of if and what this may be doing. Based on my goofy finger nail test it is much harder and not returning. Would love to see a digital value associated with the result to see if its real or simply a soft finger nail. Will report back (for my own interest anyway) this weekend with what I find.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#126 4 years ago

It won't work for the long term.
Look at it 3 months from now, it will be the same.

#127 4 years ago

Some people had PMed asking about getting more of a specific size of mylar ring instead of a pre-made set, so I just updated the mylar ring options in the pinside pin monk store so there's the jjPotC/Wonka set (4 medium rings, 2 small rings) but also 10 packs each of just Small, Medium, and even larger Large rings. Here's a comparison picture of the coverage (they're clear mylar, this is just with the paper backing still on so you can see the sizes easily):

ring-comparison (resized).jpgring-comparison (resized).jpg

I didn't show it in the sample, but if you want more coverage on the slim posts, you can use a medium ring on a slim post so the protection will extend out similar to the way a Large ring does on a star post.

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

It won't work for the long term.
Look at it 3 months from now, it will be the same.

Actually it has been close to three months now on the first game and still good so far. Granted it’s not on route but I suspect at this point the objective of repairing and freezing (with heat) the issue seems very promising this far.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Some people had PMed asking about getting more of a specific size of mylar ring instead of a pre-made set, so I just updated the mylar ring options in the pinside pin monk store so there's the jjPotC/Wonka set (4 medium rings, 2 small rings) but also 10 packs of just Small, Medium, and even larger Large rings. Here's a comparison picture of the coverage:
[quoted image]
I didn't show it in the sample, but if you want more coverage on the slim posts, you can use a medium ring on a slim post so the protection will extend out similar to the way a Large ring does on a star post.

Awesome thanks much #vireland! The ones I used are the same as your medium size and fit/looked perfect for all posts. Really appreciate you offering these to others. Thanks!

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The process itself is rather simple. Plug in the iron and Slowly press down evenly with a gentle pressure. Do Not try to iron the playfield just press straight down! If you iron you could tear or wrinkle the clear further. Also, a little goes a long way as they say. Hold it down for say 5 seconds then move to the next hole. Continue back and forth but avoid cooking the surface. We simply want to re-set the failed clear. Again, Go SLow! We want this fixed not melted lol. As the heater is brass it does not stick or leave any marks as long as you don't try ironing![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great info! I assume you tried this method after getting a replacement playfield from JJP? If not, that is what I call having balls!!!!

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Great info! I assume you tried this method after getting a replacement playfield from JJP? If not, that is what I call having balls!!!!

No I opted to repair it long ago as it seems time does not make this situation better and at the time no OEM was even acknowledging the subject. It’s honestly not as scary as it appears. I think the word Iron makes it sound scary lol. More of a press operation.

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

No I opted to repair it long ago as it seems time does not make this situation better and at the time no OEM was even acknowledging the subject. It’s honestly not as scary as it appears. I think the word Iron makes it sound scary lol. More of a press operation.

Well my friend you did an excellent job!

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sorry I don't think this repair will help much in that scenario as the clear has gone from jelly to hard to cracked. Beyond stopping that one now sadly. First suggestion as you have already done is document everything and submit to both Stern and your supporting distributor. After that best suggestion I can make is to lock that failed area with a piece of mylar offered at many locations including PinballLife and Marco. While it could be suggested to use a drop of water thin super glue I would be afraid your repair could get worse. Sad outcome hope you can get this mended.

Thanks for the suggestions. So far, no response of any kind from Stern or my “supporting” distributor. At the very least, a simple acknowledgement would be nice. Funny how I get a quick response from the distro when I ask about pricing and payment for a new game. Now, not so much.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

As a distributor I'm going to say :
1. This fix looks good and nothing negative to say about it, I admire someone trying their best to help folks... but words of caution...
2. JJP is asking people to NOT remove your posts just yet - too many people are getting curious and may be causing potential damage that doesn't exist or need to be done by removing the posts just yet. Not saying at some point JJP may have some sort of commentary and part of that is to 'remove the posts and do this or that' but as of right now I am advising my customers to not start disassembling your playfield. WAIT for the company to say something... it'll be coming I'm sure.
3. In general, doing stuff to your game and causing damage or manipulating something they do not yet have a fix for (if they will) is something that the warranty doesn't cover - the warranty covers your game as you bought it and like adding mods or things to a game and if you do additional / new damage, that's on you, so again 'wait' until JJP has something to say before you start doing home brew stuff. We have no idea if doing this or some other 'fix' is going to be counter productive to what they are going to say. I don't know - just saying wait, then at that time, if this is the best option - you can always do this.
4. Be patient I'm confident both JJP and Stern are working to figure things out at this time to determine, what happened, how to prevent it, and hopefully how to resolve things for existing customers.
5. All of the above is from me, the distributor, and not from JJP or anything official - just saying what I would tell to my customer if they asked me about this. Right now, we are all just saying 'wait', let them figure things out and comment.
Just trying to be helpful to everyone and cautious here - I think it's great this shows results - but I think it's best to wait for official word from these companies, until then a little patience may be warranted. You don't want to look back and say 'I wish I waited for the companies to say something'. Not everyone is skilled at working on games and I don't want to see anyone causing additional issues at this time. I'm sending this to JJP as well for them to see / evaluate etc... maybe it'll help them which is good.
Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements

I haven’t removed any of my star posts to look but what if one of the Star Posts crack or break. I have had to replace star posts on new games do to cracking with use. An operator or home owner should not have to worry about damaging the clear coat from simple removal of a Star posts. It’s crazy you can’t even remove them.

I think as buyers of these games we just want an answer from these companies of what will be done to remedy the situation as you said. I am also confident something will get eventually done. It would be nice to hear directly from someone from these companies exactly what will be done. I understand this may take some time. Just wish the companies would at least put us buyers mind at ease.

When my Ghostbusters had issues it took time but I was assured I would get a new playfield from Stern. On my recent, NIB purchases there has been too much radio silence. I’m not just talking about JJP, this is a Stern problem as well.

#135 4 years ago

Agree with both PinballSTAR and TomGWI.

You don't want to do something that may effect your remedy with the manufacturer, but on the other hand what happens when you have to replace or move a playfield post for maintenance or repairs.

Many folks may find themselves in a tough spot.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

As a distributor I'm going to say :
1. This fix looks good and nothing negative to say about it, I admire someone trying their best to help folks... but words of caution...
2. JJP is asking people to NOT remove your posts just yet - too many people are getting curious and may be causing potential damage that doesn't exist or need to be done by removing the posts just yet. Not saying at some point JJP may have some sort of commentary and part of that is to 'remove the posts and do this or that' but as of right now I am advising my customers to not start disassembling your playfield. WAIT for the company to say something... it'll be coming I'm sure.
3. In general, doing stuff to your game and causing damage or manipulating something they do not yet have a fix for (if they will) is something that the warranty doesn't cover - the warranty covers your game as you bought it and like adding mods or things to a game and if you do additional / new damage, that's on you, so again 'wait' until JJP has something to say before you start doing home brew stuff. We have no idea if doing this or some other 'fix' is going to be counter productive to what they are going to say. I don't know - just saying wait, then at that time, if this is the best option - you can always do this.
4. Be patient I'm confident both JJP and Stern are working to figure things out at this time to determine, what happened, how to prevent it, and hopefully how to resolve things for existing customers.
5. All of the above is from me, the distributor, and not from JJP or anything official - just saying what I would tell to my customer if they asked me about this. Right now, we are all just saying 'wait', let them figure things out and comment.
Just trying to be helpful to everyone and cautious here - I think it's great this shows results - but I think it's best to wait for official word from these companies, until then a little patience may be warranted. You don't want to look back and say 'I wish I waited for the companies to say something'. Not everyone is skilled at working on games and I don't want to see anyone causing additional issues at this time. I'm sending this to JJP as well for them to see / evaluate etc... maybe it'll help them which is good.
Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements

Why would JJP ship customers free sling post repair kits if that void’s the warranty?

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Why would JJP ship customers free sling post repair kits if that void’s the warranty?

This is a total BS guess from me but I suspect the OEM post repair kit was a solution provided to address the known sharp edge hole punch type original plastic posts. Just a guess. That was the first level issue which highlighted the now to common pooling issue. Hoping to do some Bill Nye hardness testing this week.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Hoping to do some Bill Nye hardness testing this week.

bill-nye-dolph-lundgren (resized).jpgbill-nye-dolph-lundgren (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#139 4 years ago

Just read this thread after finding the issue on a few of the smaller diameter posts on my IMDN pro, has anyone attempted the repair this way on these smaller stern posts? I was surprised there aren't more example photos in this thread of repairs others have carried out.

IMG_20191001_115534541 (resized).jpgIMG_20191001_115534541 (resized).jpgIMG_20191001_115626086 (resized).jpgIMG_20191001_115626086 (resized).jpg
#140 4 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Just read this thread after finding the issue on a few of the smaller diameter posts on my IMDN pro, has anyone attempted the repair this way on these smaller stern posts? I was surprised there aren't more example photos in this thread of repairs others have carried out.[quoted image][quoted image]

My apologies I’ve been meaning to update the thread if only for feedback. To date I have fixed over a dozen games both Stern and JJP. This original Wonka still looks perfect after several months with no further signs of pooling. I waited to post as I am also experimenting with the same process only I added a few minute cure time using a UV lamp directly over the source. Getting mixed readings from the shore hardness tester but it appears to be rock hard after. Just wanted to get some time on the result before posting suggestions.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

To date I have not fixed over a dozen games both Stern and JJP.

Hoping that is a typo for "now"

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Hoping that is a typo for "now"

Lol thanks and fixed. Actually Fixed! Dam spell correct.

#143 4 years ago

I am very tempted to try the "playfield iron" myself. Have you had any failures or any cases where doing it made things worse?

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I am very tempted to try the "playfield iron" myself. Have you had any failures or any cases where doing it made things worse?

Absolutely None! Again its more of a Press than an Iron. Also note as I think some might be thinking this is like a soldering iron. While I wouldn't put it on my bare arm it doesn't get molten hot. The temperature distributes over the plate and the process only takes a few seconds. If you wish to try (as you've always been a Huge help to others) I could even send you some clear mylar washers as I made hundreds and they only cost a few pennies. Let me know and good luck.

#145 4 years ago

I have had mixed results. My "iron" (same brand) got pretty darn hot. It was too hot to hold the plastic handle near the ironing end. I lost perhaps a mm of paint and clear around the hole of where I was pressing, but the overall effect was good. I added a bit of clearcoat to lock things down and then mylar washers.

I did acquire the silicon washers from Titan and really like them on top of the mylar. It is a process, but I want to use my existing playfield as long as I can. I have another one coming from JJP, but want to put off the swap until much later.

Would I use the iron again ... I am not sure. I really appreciate the advice from Yelobird. It was my call. I have no regrets, but mylar and silicon washers might have been good enough for my situation.

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I have had mixed results. My "iron" (same brand) got pretty darn hot. It was too hot to hold the plastic handle near the ironing end. I lost perhaps a mm of paint and clear around the hole of where I was pressing, but the overall effect was good. I added a bit of clearcoat to lock things down and then mylar washers.
I did acquire the silicon washers from Titan and really like them on top of the mylar. It is a process, but I want to use my existing playfield as long as I can. I have another one coming from JJP, but want to put off the swap until much later.
Would I use the iron again ... I am not sure. I really appreciate the advice from Yelobird. It was my call. I have no regrets, but mylar and silicon washers might have been good enough for my situation.

Very true. As noted If the post already dug into the paint and tore it the iron process will only flatten it and cure it. Not really a magic eraser process sadly. Even in my pics you can see while the raised issue is gone the damage from the post is still partially visible. Primary effort is to erase the pooling before the buildup cures and cracks. Wish there was a way to forever erase the damage but sadly that will never be the case. More of a preemptive action to protect your investment. I can complain to Stern or JJP or simply never play the game but that seemed futile.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Very true. As noted If the post already dug into the paint and tore it the iron process will only flatten it and cure it. Not really a magic eraser process sadly. Even in my pics you can see while the raised issue is gone the damage from the post is still partially visible. Primary effort is to erase the pooling before the buildup cures and cracks. Wish there was a way to forever erase the damage but sadly that will never be the case. More of a preemptive action to protect your investment. I can complain to Stern or JJP or simply never play the game but that seemed futile.

... and I wasn't completely clear on my post. I actually had about a millimeter of material come loose after ironing. How attached it was in the first place is another question, but it was all covered by the post anyway so no real damage done. It was just a bit unnerving when more "chips" were created.

#148 4 years ago

Worked like a charm for me - thanks Yelobird! I ironed then applied Mylar rings, and am thinking about adding the titan washers. Couldn’t be easier. Used the iron for about 5 seconds, checked and repeated if necessary. Pooling is completely gone and any impression marks are contained to under the mini-posts. Iron is very hot but after the first try I wasn’t worried at all that it would cause damage. Just don’t press down hard or move around while ironing.

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Worked like a charm for me - thanks Yelobird! I ironed then applied Mylar rings, and am thinking about adding the titan washers. Couldn’t be easier. Used the iron for about 5 seconds, checked and repeated if necessary. Pooling is completely gone and any impression marks are contained to under the mini-posts. Iron is very hot but after the first try I wasn’t worried at all that it would cause damage. Just don’t press down hard or move around while ironing.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I suspected it wasn't terribly difficult but I tend to sway toward risk/reward lol. Doing another WW, Beatles, and POTC this week oh joy...

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I suspected it wasn't terribly difficult but I tend to sway toward risk/reward lol. Doing another WW, Beatles, and POTC this week oh joy...

This is not a wide spread problem , only a small % of playfields have this issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
Machine - For Sale
Islamorada, FL
5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 91.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-playfield-post-repair-and-chip-proofing-how-to-all-brands/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.