(Topic ID: 139667)

DIY playfield art methods?

By winteriscoming

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0029.jpg
    451643.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    2467-01.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

What methods are there for DIY artwork on the playfield for a custom pin? I'm considering how I want to put playfield art on my custom pin.

-The easiest would seem to be a printed overlay, but I don't think that's a route I would go.
    -There is the possibility to have the playfield direct printed, but you have to send it off to someone else and it's not really a DIY option necessarily.
    -There's the potential to DIY layered screen printing, which would be more true to the way PFs were originally done, but is a kind of complex process.

-Then I came up with another idea utilizing a CNC machine:
    My current plan is to build a bigger/better CNC machine than I have. I'm going to make one big enough to cut all parts of a pinball machine.

I got to thinking how the CNC machine could be used to paint the PF with paint pens. If you separated the colors out into specific colored dots or lines, it seems like you could run each color through and have the CNC machine put the dots/lines down in the the appropriate color.

Here's a video of a guy using some kind of Sharpie paint pen in a CNC machine:

Can anyone think of why this method wouldn't work, especially for a one-off?

Are there other methods anyone can think of that would use a CNC machine?

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like ink blotting/bleeding might be an issue.

It could be an issue. I think he was doing it on paper, though. I would think the PF would need to be sealed before ink/paint went down. Maybe that would reduce the bleeding effect?

Maybe if it was just done as dots, it might give a more consistent look.

Who knows. It wouldn't be an expensive experiment if I already had the CNC machine set up.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

90's CAD plotters used a spindle of pens (before inkjets came around). It took a very long time to print if there was a lot of solid or near-solid fills. Registration was sometimes an issue.

That's interesting. I wouldn't be that worried about time for my own purposes. It's not like I'd plan on manufacturing a lot of them. It could take a day per color for all I care as long as it looks good.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

It would be really cool if there was some way to use the CNC to apply art in the same fashion as an inkjet printer.

That would be cool. A CNC machine isn't that functionally different than printer, it would just need the right head and software to drive it.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Build a kit and I'll be a buyer

That kind of thing won't be coming from me! That's for sure.

However, I think there are people out there working on something like that. People like having multi-functional machines. You can already get the parts necessary to turn a CNC router into a 3D printer.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

You would need something more consistent and with a larger capacity. Interesting idea though.

It wouldn't necessarily have to have a larger capacity. For DIY purposes, just replace the pen when it runs out. If it takes 10 pens of one color for a PF, then so be it.

They have different tips available, too. I wonder if that would help with the consistency.

At any rate, I think it's something I want to experiment with when I get a bigger, more accurate CNC machine.

I also want to try out DIY screen printing. I know I'm oversimplifying it in my head, but the steps needed to make that work make sense to me.

#14 8 years ago

The most relavent example I can find is someone using a Sharpie over sealed wood for a skateboard. They did the Yoda outline with a CNC machine anyway. I don't know how feasible regular Sharpies would be for a PF, but it looks like they got pretty good, smooth results.

http://brianzawesomeblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/building-longboards-in-high-school-wood.html

#15 8 years ago

Here's a marker drawing that looks pretty detailed and consistent:

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

If it were me I'd either use a profile-cut printed overlay (cheapest R&D, least wastage) or work with a printer who can print directly onto the wood.

I would probably attempt silk screens first. I like to experiment and build up my skill set even if it's a skill that won't come in handy that often.

I'm currently working on making a custom early solid state and want to make artwork along the lines of early 80s games. I would likely stick to 6 or fewer colors with silk screening in mind.

Quoted from angryjeep:

Do you have art yet? I could print you a test overlay.

I don't have anything yet. Probably a ways off. Just considering options at this point. Thanks for the offer, though!

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

mask + paint

That's an option, too.

So we're saying potentially mask off areas of solid color and airbrush, then follow up and do black by hand? That would certainly be a DIY option for a one-off.

Taking that one step further, it seems like a CNC machine with a plotter knife could be used to cut out masks for the entire pf for every color layer... maybe even a complex black layer... Weeding and transferring the stencil for a complex black layer would be a pain and might end up being more complicated than a DIY silk screen, but still seems possible.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Personally if I was trying it your way I'd do the silkscreen. Sounds like fun, would give the most pro and accurate result, and if you ever wanted to do a couple more it's a method that would scale up.

Assuming I did layered vector art, the complexity with silk screens at the size of a PF, at least in my mind, comes from the need for transparencies to be printed for each layer to use when making the screens, but I would guess is still possible at this size from a professional printer.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Another alternative is a small laser diode tool that is a singular unit that you attach like a pen or router and adjust the height so it is just cutting the mask and not burning the playfield.

Ah, so you're saying lay down the stencil material directly on the PF, laser cut it in place, weed it, spray, remove, dry, repeat with next layer?

A laser product I've been looking at is the L-Cheapo laser. I wonder if it could handle this method.
    http://robots-everywhere.com/re_site/purchase/l-cheapo/

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Thinking on that - if the black is too much of a pain to mask or do by hand, you could use a single silkscreen just for that.

True, but if you're already buying supplies necessary for silk screening to do the most complex screen, why not just do them all as silk screens?

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

Check the Playfield on the lawman project.
    Printed on A3 paper sealed with artist clear to stop fading,lined with thin film double-sided tape and Mylared.
    Down side is planning the gigsaw puzzle to connect the A3 pages
    Upside art can be drawn on paper on the Playfield to size, removed, scanned cleaned up
    and printed to exact size.
    All without having to go to the Printers, who generally know best, don't listen and deem plotting art to an exact size painful.DSC_0078.JPG 451643.jpg

Interesting! And certainly appropriate for DIY!

Thanks for sharing that one.

The nice thing about this method is that I happen to own a Silhouette Portrait that could be used for cutting the pages down into the puzzle-like shapes.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

yes, we had some fun with masking for a custom machine paint job, lay the mask down and then cut while on the job, weeding is always the worst. As for a laser it can be tricky as it needs to be in focus to cut a tight line but the beam intensity to only cut the mask and not your already cut / previously screened playfield.

Hmm, how feasible would it be to use a plotter knife rather than a laser for this method? The knife would potentially cut into the pf, but it would just be around the edges of each color and might not have much of a detrimental effect. Certainly very detailed images would still pose a challenge with the potential for the knife to pull up parts of the stencil.

Quoted from swinks:

hope that helps.

Well, whether or not I have a correct mental image, I think I'm understanding the basic concept, and definitely appreciate the input.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Screenprinting produces the nicest results, but it requires a lot of specialized equipment and the inks you'd need for playfields is super toxic due to the solvent fumes. You could do UV inks but then you need even more specialized equipment. That kind of printing just isn't DIY.
    My studio was about 800 sq/ft. and it was cramped in there doing only 36x45 screens. You'd need screens 4x the size to do playfields.

I've seen a couple screen printing paints for sale. Is there a reason water soluble paint wouldn't work? Acrylics are recommended for restoration work, and I assume work under clear coats.

Here's some acrylic screen printing ink.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-permanent-acrylic-screen-printing-ink/

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Water and wood aren't friends.

Maybe seal it first?

That Dick Blick link lists wood as a suitable substrate for that Speedball acrylic screen printing ink.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Jacquard inks can be used on plastics so if you are thinking to silkscreen plastics too (why not go whole hog) you might look at those.

That's something to consider. The screen printing skill could apply to plastics and glass. If I get the CNC machine I want, I could cut the plastics, too, either with a router (which I've done successfully with my current CNC machine using an appropriate endmill) or that L-Cheapo laser if I were to invest in that.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

anyone who is suggesting silkscreening for a one-off design has not priced this method.

I'll attempt to price it out for a playfield. I'm really not sure on the volumes needed, so just taking a guess. I'm also not sure if I'm selecting compatible inks, emulsion and screens.

Assuming 6 colors, you'd need photo emulsion for 6 screens and then a color of paint/ink per screen.

Maybe a gallon of emulsion could do it? http://www.dickblick.com/products/ulano-fotocoat-fx88-sr-fast-film-emulsion/
    $75

Maybe a quart per color? http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-permanent-acrylic-screen-printing-ink/
    6*$20 = $120

Big enough screen per layer: http://www.dickblick.com/products/orange-monofilament-polyester-screen-fabric/
    6*$25 = $150

Frames for stretching the screen. I would probably make these out of wood, so let's assume I use $10 of wood per frame:
    6*$10 = $60

Sqeegee: http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-50-55-durometer-squeegee/
    $25

Light source for exposure: Let's assume we need multiple for this size. Maybe 4? http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-diazo-light-kit/
    4*$31

Am I missing any required components?

The total for these would be: $461 excluding taxes and shipping

That is pricey, but in the pinball world, not too bad, especially considering the price of a 6 color screen printed PF from CPR, though admittedly they're doing clearcoating, too, so that adds onto the DIY price above. Comparatively it would certainly be easier and cost effective to go with a professional printer who can do direct printing and clearcoat for you.

However, the screenprinting method gives you the potential to produce extras on your own, where some of that cost decreases as more PFs are made, if the screens hold up. After the first PF, the additional costs would just be paint.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

What I would recommend is picking up one of the Speedball starter kits and getting familiar with the process itself before diving into the deep end on large scale printing. Getting nice consistent results is more of an art when you're doing it by hand.

Sure, small scale would be the starting point for learning.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I guarantee you, you will ruin it!

That's granted! A lot of projects I take on where I learn to use a new method end up taking about twice the supplies I plan on when I originally go into it, just because of mistakes in the learning process.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Then you overcompensate because you used so much the first time that the next time you buy too much and get stuck with a bunch of stuff you don't need. I wish I could have my $ back for all of the overage of stuff through the years. I don't even wanna think about what I've spent.

Ha, on top of that I'm not all that organized. I'm guilty of purchasing duplicate tools simply because I can't find one...

I have purchased and lost the same set of driver and drill bits 3 times.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from davideokills:

I can get UV cured ink jet prints done directly to wood but another interesting option would be ink jet to the bottom side of thick poly carbonate and then CNC the holes afterward. With a print to the underside of poly carbonate you could create light masks and have the entire playfield glow in creative ways. It could also eliminate the need for inserts. I love the plexi playfield on my Dragon and it makes me wonder why those didn't take off.
    PM me if you are interested in trying something like this out. It has been something I've wanted to try but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Hmm... Not sure what the plastic is, but Slugfest does something similar where the playfield art is screened on the bottom of the plastic.

Interesting. I wonder how well it would hold up to a bunch of holes and posts and such. Could cracking be a risk?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-playfield-art-methods?tu=winteriscoming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.