• Latest reply 6 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jason_jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi.

I just bought my first pin ('93 Williams). The seller said, "I need to advise you that your machine is twenty-something years old and will need tending. Regardless of how earnestly you "baby" it, it will malfunction now and then simply from normal play. If you're not going to call a tech over to your home twice a month or so, you'll have to learn to become handy doing small repairs on your own."

All right, fine. I'm up for it! Still, my DIY repair skills are basically limited to mechanical things - cars/bikes/etc. I know very little about electronics. Words like "transducer" or "ohms" or "rectifier" are Greek to me. I am already reading posts related to small repairs here on Pinside, but the learning curve is steep. It will take me time, obviously.

What I want to do is tool up. I want to buy some of the basic tools/parts pin owners have in their work spaces to handle minor repairs. A recommended list from the readers of this thread would be much appreciated. I know I'll need a soldering iron, but beyond that, I'm only guessing. If I need a stash of fuses, just what kinds do I need? What sorts of wire will I need? I realize that even a "basic" kit could be a very long list, but I need to start somewhere, so even a ten-item list would be very helpful.

Note: I don't claim to be an expert "searcher" of archived posts, so it's likely that there are numerous postings with this very information already posted and I just haven't found them. If you happen to know of any, a nudge in that direction would be helpful, naturally.

Thanks for reading/considering my post!

#8 6 years ago

Thank you, all of you, for your helpful responses.

I do now have a short of list of things I should get now, although clearly a full set of pin-repair tools would fill a large tool chest. So, I can't expect to tool up quite like that!

Still, you've been helpful and I have new sources/links to read/study, thanks to you.

I s'pose I'll invest in a small tool box that I'll devote to pin-repair tools. I don't know what kind of functionality a pin-specific mutli-meter should have, but I will look around see what Pinsiders have to say on that.

Again, thank you!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jason_jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-pin-repair-basic-tool-list-sought?tu=jason_jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.