(Topic ID: 187224)

DIY molex pin remover?

By EvanDickson

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170423_143652036 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

My TOM is 97% dismantled for a proper cleaning and full maintenance. I need to get the old trunk body off, and to do this I need to get the pins out of this connector but I can't find my pin tools anywhere. Anyone have any good DIY tips on how to MacGyver them out without damaging them?

IMG_20170423_143652036 (resized).jpgIMG_20170423_143652036 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Brass tube from hobby shop or hardware store. Slip over and pull out from the other side.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Actually if you still have a radio shack near you they sold the BEST molex pin removal tools.

#4 6 years ago

I got mine from eBay. Cheap China made but works very well. Double ended for both the common sizes of pinball molex.

#5 6 years ago

yeah, I bought a set off ebay also cost 100 but it was worth it

ebay.com link: CRIMP PIN EXTRACTOR removal SET OF 5 for Molex JST AMP JAE HRS Tyco Wurth SS

#6 6 years ago

We used to use old telescoping TV antenna's. "Somewhere" in that antenna, you can find the perfect diameter for nearly any size.

Ed

#8 6 years ago

I just snipped em underneath and put in smaller connectors underneath.

#9 6 years ago

Tiny flathead screwdriver will work

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Tiny flathead screwdriver will work

It will on the .156 & .100 Molex, not on the other styles

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

It will on the .156 & .100 Molex, not on the other styles

dang, that means I need to buy that ripoff tool too!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

dang, that means I need to buy that ripoff tool too!

Yeah, I've got $100 tied up in those damn things.... but when you need'um, you need'um

2 months later
    #13 6 years ago

For future readers -- this HDP kit will not work for 0.062 - 0.093 contacts.
    These are made for HD20 (standard "D" type connectors) and HD22 (high density "D" type connectors). The diameters are completely wrong. And these tend to break *extremely easily*.

3 weeks later
    #14 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

I just snipped em underneath and put in smaller connectors underneath.

Wait, what?

3 months later
    #15 6 years ago

would this item work to remove these? I am looking to solder some of my molex connectors on my Tron and AC/DC for my under cabinet and leg lighting as the connections aren't as solid as I thought it would seem with just the crimping. I need to extract both the male and female ends.

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Remover-Computer-Extractor-Sleeving/dp/B01G46DJVU/ref=sr_1_3

#16 6 years ago

I got this one for $2.35 including shipping and works fine, amazingly it came in just five days after ordering (your milage will vary): ebay.com link: Computer Wire Pin Remover Extractor Tool For 4 Pin Molex Power Connector DG

#17 6 years ago

What size of molex extractor do you use for the trunk plug on TOM? .093?

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bumper:

I got this one for $2.35 including shipping and works fine, amazingly it came in just five days after ordering (your milage will vary): ebay.com link » Computer Wire Pin Remover Extractor Tool For 4 Pin Molex Power Connector Dg

Thanks, ordered one and hope to get it before Christmas

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

We used to use old telescoping TV antenna's. "Somewhere" in that antenna, you can find the perfect diameter for nearly any size.
    Ed

Great idea, but where do you find those antennas anymore? When they broke we threw them out.

#20 6 years ago

Well I ordered the extractor below but the diameter appears slightly too small to get the female ends out. I'm assuming I'm using it correctly by trying to slip it over the pin so it will depress the retaining fins but it just butts up against the end and no amount of wiggling gets it over the pin. Not sure what size to use or what is wrong here as these are the molex connectors that everyone uses on Stern these days. Any suggestions as to what size to get or a 100% reliable place to order?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G46DJVU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

#21 6 years ago

Just received a Wardom brand extractor but cannot for the life of me get any of the female connectors off. The tool slides over the connector and down but it appears that the "barbs" are far to rigid to bend back....
    Anyone have any tips on this???

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Actually if you still have a radio shack near you they sold the BEST molex pin removal tools.

Still available online, fits 0.93, works great, priced at $3.75.
    https://www.radioshack.com/collections/tools-test-equipment/products/radioshack-pin-extractor

@ DrMark12PA , A bit more force might do it. You can press down harder if the connector, or the tool, is supported by a firm surface. The Amazon minimalist tool doesn't look like you can get a firm grip on it.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Biffbar:

Still available online, fits 0.93, works great, priced at $3.75.
    https://www.radioshack.com/collections/tools-test-equipment/products/radioshack-pin-extractor
    @ DrMark12PA , A bit more force might do it. You can press a down harder if the connector, or the tool, is on a firm surface.

#24 6 years ago

I've pretty much pushed as hard as one can short of using a hammer and still no give.... I'm not sure why it isn't working.
    My 0.093" connectors are from Great Plains Electronics...

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I've pretty much pushed as hard as one can short of using a hammer and still no give.... I'm not sure why it isn't working.

Well, maybe wiggle the tool around when it is all the way in, while pushing, and pulling, on the wire side of the connector. Sometimes takes a bit of work to get the sockets out. The "barbs" aren't that tough. The Radio Shack tool is nice as it has a plunger to push the pins out of the housing. Worst case you can dig at the barbs and push them down with dental picks or jewelers screwdrivers, but you shouldn't have to do that when you have the specialized tool.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Push the contact forward as far as possible before using the contact extraction tool This frees up the tangs as much as possible before sliding the extraction tool over them. If the tangs get bent into the connector - there is no amount of force that is going to free these up.

3 weeks later
    #27 6 years ago

I usually mess with them for about 30 seconds using the proper tools, and if they still don't come out, the cutters come out and the whole connector gets replaced.

Then I buy more from GPE

4 years later
    #28 1 year ago

It sounds crazy, but this specific safety pin works wonders (for .100 and .156 pins). I sell them in 1, 2, or 3 packs (starting at $2.99, free shipping). Great tool to have around for when the $25 molex pin remover breaks. And no, they aren't just regular safety pins. These ones are heavy duty, thicker and stronger. Regular safety pins do not work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-molex-pin-remover?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.