View topic image gallery

05_(resized).jpg
06_(resized).jpg
07_(resized).jpg
03_(resized).jpg
02_(resized).jpg
01_(resized).jpg
04_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Theonlylilo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi everybody! After some indecision I decided to face off my first Makrolon project (...the first and the last ).
I recently restored my Alien Poker, doing some touch-ups with acrylic, protecting them with a sort of Mylar (not the official Mylar but a protective film named Ritrama)... but due to the cupped inserts and to prevent further wear, I decide to cut off my protector (Best Of Pinball doesn't have it for Alien Poker).
So, I first did a preliminary layout on a thin plastic sheet, then I reported the final "drawing" on the Makrolon (the same of BoP - 0,75 mm)
Armed with my Dremel 400 and a lot of patience (Now where I live is very hot and the plastic powder stick to the skin...), I've cut off the final one...
I spent approx 5-6 hours for doing the job... some edges are not defined as a laser cut, and in certain areas the holes are not alligned with the playfield (especially for the bumpers) but I'm really satisfied of the final result
Only the spinner is missing, then it will be 100% complete!!!
Ciaooo

04_(resized).jpg04_(resized).jpg

01_(resized).jpg01_(resized).jpg

02_(resized).jpg02_(resized).jpg

03_(resized).jpg03_(resized).jpg

07_(resized).jpg07_(resized).jpg

06_(resized).jpg06_(resized).jpg

05_(resized).jpg05_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Correct... Makrolon is only the brand. The material is a "compact polycarbonate".
In some points, like the outer borders, I used a simple pair of scissors without troubles.
About Dremel... I used a multipurpose mill Ø 3,2 mm to cut out the big parts (like a Dremel 561 bit), then a little grinding wheel to finish better the lines (Dremel 432 abrasive tape).
I did several attempts with the exacto knife, but it worked well only for the straight cuts.
@jorro: I understood . For the moment the ball flows very fine. To reduce the cut out I had to buy another type of milling bit...
But to be my first attempt, I'm very satisfied... and 9€ instead 119€. Soon I think I/ll buy the protector for my Blackout, in order to see better the differences and to improve my Alien Poker layout.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Theonlylilo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-makrolon-protector?tu=Theonlylilo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.