7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Zambo
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Probes_(resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

I put together this logic probe circuit the other night based on this project...

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/100%20IC%20Circuits/1-100_IC-Ccts.html (about halfway down the page).

I built it inside a sharpie like pen from the dollar store, and I already had the parts on hand. It seems to work just fine and the cost is only 3 or 4 bucks. I will be using it to trouble shoot an Mpu i'm having problems with.

Probes_(resized).jpgProbes_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

where'd the yellow LED go?

#3 7 years ago

That's awesome.

#4 7 years ago

Oh yeah, I found the yellow (pulse) led to be redundant, because the red and green leds flash quickly or stay on steadily when a pulse is detected. I found the buzzer to be annoying too, but you can build it anyway you want.

#5 7 years ago

I'd say you want the pulse LED. I just did a Bally MPU with a bad clock buffer. One clock phase lit up all three LEDs. The other clock phase lit up just the red and green. When i checked with a DMM it said 2.5v which is what i would expect.

The real story when i got the scope out was that the clock phase that only lit up the green and red probe LEDs was a mostly flat line across near 2.5v (bad u15). No yellow pulse LED i may have spun my wheels for longer as to why the MPU was locked up.

Still really neat. Inside a sharpie... thats great. That kit becomes bad ass if someone can add the audible buzzing circuit to it. I think you need two chirpers, one for LOW led and one for HIGH led.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I'd say you want the pulse LED. I just did a Bally MPU with a bad clock buffer. One clock phase lit up all three LEDs. The other clock phase lit up just the red and green. When i checked with a DMM it said 2.5v which is what i would expect.

Good to know... i'll probably make the next one with all three.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-logic-probe-easy-cheap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.