Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,380 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by bontango
  • Topic is favorited by 114 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240420_121107900 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20240419_182939364 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7153 (resized).jpeg
    V2.1.1-manual-Screenshot 2024-03-01 084702 (resized).png
    V2.1.1-Screenshot 2024-03-01 083536 (resized).png
    IMG_20240115_132957064 (resized).jpg
    20240113_012302 (resized).jpg
    lamp_gnd (resized).png
    solenoid_gnd (resized).png
    20240107_095759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131532014_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131527557 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 4 years ago

The LISY is a good idea, but it needs to be packaged with everything you need: boards, parts, and roms. Without that, I'm out.

9 months later
    #40 3 years ago

Does this board use any surface mount components?

3 months later
    #103 3 years ago

If a person orders the LISY1 and LISY80 pcbs from jlcpcb, do they cut the slots in the edge connectors just like the original Gottlieb system 1 and system 80 boards have?

Also, does LISY1, LISY80, and LISY35 provide a free play function?

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Just looked... jeepers they dropped the price on those things. pi zero w w/no header pins is $10 from canakit, dang. You're right....well the lisy just got cheaper

The drawback is most distributors limit the raspberry pi zero w to one per customer. I might be needing to buy 15 of those suckers and I'm trying to find a distributor where I can buy 15 of them and not have to pay $30 each.

#132 3 years ago

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a boatload of LISY boards and accessories. It was fairly easy to order the boards from JLCPCB.com once I got registered (and they accept Paypal). Their prices are very reasonable plus they have new customer discounts and bonus coupons. Here's what I've got ordered and on the way:

(5) LISY1 cpu boards

(5) LISY80 cpu boards

(5) LISY35 cpu boards

(10) GOPOP pop bumper driver boards

(5) Pic Programmer boards

For parts to build these with, so far I've ordered 15 Raspberry pi Zero WH (with header pins installed) and put in an order with Reichelt.de for enough parts to build the five LISY35 boards to start with. Took me only ten minutes to order the boards from JLCPCB, but over an hour and a half to order all the LISY35 parts from Reichelt (their website responds very slowly). Still don't know what the final bill is from them as they have to "check the routes" for pricing before they let me pay for the order. Says they use DHL for shipping and Reichelt accepts Paypal.

There is a minimum order policy of 5 boards at JLCPCB.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from koji:

Wow.. awesome man.
    I just received my boards in the mail:
    5x LISY35, 5x LISY80 and 5x Phat.
    ** Note with regard to the pic programming, If I understand correctly, you can actually use the LISY board to program it as well?
    But I am wondering about the motivation to order from Reichelt? being US based, Digikey or mouser should save $? [ Note that I ordered $100 CAD from each for free shipping ]. I find that mouser is slightly less expensive (in general), but digikey is WAAAY better packaged... so it's a toss-up.
    Digikey arrived 30 minutes before mouser too

The PIC for the pop bumper driver needs to be programmed on a programmer.

I ordered from Reichelt because the LISY website already had things setup for it. The bad news is Reichelt just emailed me that they are only shipping via DHL Sea Freight and the order would take 45 days to reach the USA. So I canceled the order and will likely try Digi-Key since I already have an account with them (and they accept Paypal). I want to be able to order all the parts from one distributor where possible to save on shipping charges. I now have two HifiBerry mini amps sound cards on the way and my 15 Raspberry pi Zero WH will ship today.

It does take a while to order from DigiKey so I will have to wait for some spare time to put an order together.

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Just to note that at the moment it looks like that the software for GOPOP has some bugs, I have different
    feedback. For some users the boards working perfect, others have problems with stuck coils.
    So be cautious! I'm working on that, feedback which helps me to solve the problem is welcome.

Perhaps maybe it would be better to be using a TIP102 instead of TIP120 transistor?

#138 3 years ago

Right now, the LISY35 BOM does not have any Digikey or Mouser part numbers, just generic numbers. I'd like to see Digikey parts list for the LISY35 so I can get the parts ordered.

I've already put in an order with DigiKey for enough parts to do the five LISY1 boards. They had everything except the 4609X-101-332LF-ND resistor arrays which show out of stock and a 16 week backorder time. With shipping and tariff charges added on, my LISY1 board parts came to $214.73 from Digikey to do the five LISY1 boards. Took me about an hour to put the order together.

#140 3 years ago

Found the display module for the Pic Programmer unit. The BOM calls it out as TC1602A or PM 2X16-6B. These displays seem to be acceptable replacements:

Digikey # 2544-AMC1602AR-B-Y6WFDY-ND

Jameco Electronics # 2295423 (a.k.a. # 1602A) and it's only $4.95

My LISY1 parts are on the way from Digikey. I just now placed another order with Digikey for doing five of the LISY80 boards. However, Digikey was out of stock on one of the capacitor values and one of the resistor arrays.

The next order I put in to Digikey will likely be for the pop bumper driver boards and the PIC Programmer parts. I'll probably order the display module from Jameco because they have the lowest price.

#142 3 years ago

Thanks, that helped alot. However, I did find you left off the Digikey number for the 2N7000 transistors. It is # 2N7000FS-ND.

#144 3 years ago

I've put my order in to Digikey a couple of hours ago for the LISY35 parts, but the Digikey website/order section kept freezing up and I don't know if my paypal went through. My account at paypal does not show the order being deducted from my account. The previous two Digikey orders showed up right away. I can't believe how expensive the parts are for the LISY35. To do five of the boards is (with shipping, tariffs, and sales tax) $300.

#147 3 years ago

My latest Digikey order finally went through and has now shown on my paypal account as completed. The orders I placed with Digikey on the 9th and yesterday the 10th (for the LISY1 and LISY80 boards) are both scheduled to arrive on the 14th. If I do any more LISY35 boards, I'm certainly going to purchase the parts elsewhere as Digikey was a bit on the pricey side (higher than I expected).

JLCPCB has sent me an email stating my circuit boards are finished and have been shipped.

#148 3 years ago

DHL just sent me a text that my LISY boards will be delivered this week. Yay!

#149 3 years ago

Digikey part numbers and quantities for the pop bumper driver board:

1 D1 LED 3mm Green 732-5008-ND
    1 D2 LED 3mm Yellow 732-5010-ND
    1 IC1 PIC18F13K22-I/P controller PIC18F13K22-I/P-ND
    1 IC socket 20 pin 3M5465-ND
    1 K1 Molex 6 pin .156 header WM50008-06-ND
    1 K2 Pin header 2 rows 2x08 use Jameco Electronics # 109568
    2 Jumper open top black 952-2881-ND
    1 R1 Resistor 10k 1/4 watt 10KQBK-ND
    1 R2 Resistor 1k 1/4 watt 1.0KQBK-ND
    1 R3 Resistor 2k 1/4 watt 2.0KQBK-ND
    1 R4 Resistor 270 ohm 1/4 watt 270QBK-ND
    1 S1 Switch, Pushbutton EG1829-ND
    1 T1 Transistor TIP102 497-2546-5-ND

If you want to install snap in black board standoffs, use 2 of the Marco Specialties # 03-8022-5 standoffs.

#157 3 years ago

I plan on assembling some LISY boards on Christmas day since I live alone.

#161 3 years ago

My first batch of parts to do the LISY80 boards showed up today from Digikey. There is enough parts to build 5 of the boards. Still waiting for the orders to arrive for the LISY1 and LISY35 boards and the pop bumper driver boards. Also still waiting for the raspberry pi computers and the sound cards to arrive.

#164 3 years ago

My LISY boards from JLCPCB.com arrived today. It's been exactly one week from the time I placed the order to receiving the finished bare pc boards at my residence. The quality of worksmanship looks good. Boards were well packed and certainly traveled very well and safely from China. I will definitely use them again in the future. The boards are shrink wrapped and adhered to the bubbly plastic. Plus they put a pack of silica gel in there too.
    Lisy board stack (resized).JPGLisy board stack (resized).JPGLisy box (resized).JPGLisy box (resized).JPGLisy packaging (resized).JPGLisy packaging (resized).JPGLisy pop bumper boards (resized).JPGLisy pop bumper boards (resized).JPGLisy pop bumper ten pack (resized).JPGLisy pop bumper ten pack (resized).JPGLisy shrink wrap (resized).JPGLisy shrink wrap (resized).JPG

#166 3 years ago

That's only for Gottlieb games. He's got clearance for Bally/Stern games.

#172 3 years ago

I've gone ahead and ordered 30 of the PHAT sound cards bare pc boards from JLCPCB today. They should arrive day after Christmas. Also bought some PAM8403 modules and PCM5102 modules. This is so I can build some sound cards for the LISY boards.

I need the part numbers for the two speaker terminal connectors and the large black plastic connector (I think it's 40 pins) which allows this board to plug onto the LISY boards. I need to order these and I don't have the part numbers. There doesn't seem to be a Bill of Material for this board on the LISY website.

#180 3 years ago

Nope, I didn't get anything else with my order. However, I still have another order coming in next week.

#181 3 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

This is so cool to see all this activity with the LISY products!

Yeh, once I saw the pcb prices at JLCPCB, I decided to give the LISY boards a try.

#188 3 years ago

I've been able to cross reference Digikey part numbers for the PHAT sound board:

Digikey # ED2635-ND for the 2 position speaker terminal blocks.

Digikey # S7074-ND for the 2x6 female socket header (12 pins total, with solder terminals).

Digikey # S7075-ND for the 2x7 female socket header (14 pins total, with solder terminals).

#189 3 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

kenlayton where did you order 15 of the rpi zeros? All places I have seen they limit to one per customer.

I sent you a PM detailing where I bought them. The only problem right now is the RPI zeros are stuck in the post office at the point of origin since the 11th. They haven't budged an inch yet. Plus I have a Digikey parts order also stuck in limbo since the 11th.

#195 3 years ago

The original boards are 40 years old technology. The new LISY boards can do more, are smaller, and have free play built in.

#197 3 years ago

No, I used the Digikey BOM shown on the LISY website. For many items, Digikey was more expensive plus shipping was high. However, in general, Digikey had everything in stock except for a resistor array and a capacitor.

Today, my Digikey order for the LISY35 boards showed up after being stuck in limbo in the post office since the 11th. Also today my order from Jameco Electronics showed up (which I just placed 4 days ago). This order has the LCD displays to do five of the PIC Programmer modules. One thing I noticed on the PIC Programmer pc board is there are no anode or cathode markings for the LEDs on it.

I've got one LISY80 board nearly complete and four others halfway done. Still waiting for the 15 raspberry pi zero computers to show up (still in limbo in post office). I've been notified by DHL my LISY PHAT sound boards will arrive from JLCPCB on Monday.

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

LISY would be a great boon to Game Plan owners.

Or Bally home models.

Or even the Allied Leisure/Fascination machines or Atari pinballs.

#212 3 years ago

The LISY 35 board will take you much more time to assemble than the LISY1 and LISY80 boards.

#215 3 years ago

Digikey is out of stock of the Bourns 4609X-101-332LF (3.3k) bussed resistor networks and the 4609X-101-563LF (56k) bussed resistor networks. They say more stock is coming in 16 weeks! So I've had to get the 332LF substitutes on ebay and overpay. The 563LF I can sub the 4610X-101-563LF (10 pins instead of 9) and cut off the end pin.

#220 3 years ago

I would order from mouser, but they don't take Paypal. Digikey and Jameco accept Paypal.

#224 3 years ago

From Mouser's own HELP page about forms of payment:

Payment Terms

Accepted Currencies

AUD - Australian Dollar
    BGN - Bulgarian Lev*
    CAD - Canadian Dollar
    CHF - Swiss Franc
    CZK - Czech Koruna*
    DKK - Danish Krone
    EUR - Euro
    GBP - Pound Sterling
    HKD - Hong Kong Dollar

HUF - Hungarian Forint*
    IND - Indian Rupee*
    ILS - Israeli Shekel*
    JPY - Japanese Yen
    KRW - Korean Won*
    MYR - Malaysian Ringgit*
    NOK - Norwegian Krone
    NZD - New Zealand Dollar
    PHP - Philippine Peso*

PLN - Polish Zloty*
    RMB - Renminbi
    RON - Romanian Leu*
    SEK - Swedish Krona
    SGD - Singapore Dollar
    THB - Thai Baht*
    TWD - New Taiwan Dollar*
    USD - US Dollar
    ZAR - South African Rand

*BGN, CZK, HUF, IND, ILS, KRW, MYR, PHP, PLN, RON, THB & TWD are only available when paying by AMEX, Visa, MasterCard. More terms are available when ordering in United States Dollar (USD).

Credit Cards

American Express
    MasterCard
    VISA

Net 30

Net Terms Can be established for businesses, schools and government agencies. Credit limits are dependent upon references and Dun & Bradstreet Ratings. You can obtain a credit application online.

Cash on Delivery

COD is only available from certain carriers within the United States. All COD fees charged by the carrier apply. Not available when shipping via the US Postal Service or using your own freight account number.

Prepaid Wire Transfer/Proforma Invoice

Mouser can accept funds wired to our bank. We will contact you with the total amount which will include shipping charges, applicable taxes and wire transfer fees. We will reserve stock for your order for 10 business days on orders awaiting funds. Orders will be canceled after 15 business days if funds have not been received.

Nowhere does it say anything about Paypal. Also, nowhere is the Paypal logo.

1 week later
    #244 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Really enjoying this, kinda put “fun” back into restoring
    [quoted image]

I've got ten of those pop bumper driver boards built. Now I am waiting for parts to build the PIC programmer so I can program the PIC chip on them.

It would be nice to install some on system 1 games to improve the pop bumper function. One thing to note about these pop bumper bumper boards: you can adjust (via jumper blocks) the pulse duration to the coil as well as the debounce time period for the spoon switch. That makes these boards more versatile than the originals. Also includes a test switch, a five volt power indicator LED, and a coil voltage indicator LED. I used a TIP102 transistor instead of the TIP120.

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Been following along and interested! Looks like these use surface mount components. When ordered do they come with those parts already installed?

In general, yes. You still need to install connectors yourself.

#247 3 years ago

Some conventional resistors, an axial electrolytic capacitor, a trimpot, the LED displays and some jumper terminals still need to be installed. The surface mount IC chips, a bunch of surface mount resistors are already installed by the board maker. In general, this way the time you need to spend assembling these will be considerably quicker. The drawback is future service is more difficult because of the surface mount ICs if one should go bad. But remember, you are no longer using the high voltage to operate these displays. Only 5 volts is needed to operate them.

3 weeks later
    #301 3 years ago

The red LEDs next to each of the PIC chips should be lit. The PIC chips need to be programmed (so they know what their function is) first before you use the board for it's first time.

#323 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnord:

Anyone have an extra Lisy35? I don't need 5

My current inventory of extra LISY bare circuit boards I don't need:

(2) LISY35

(2) LISY80

(2) LISY1

2 weeks later
    #336 3 years ago

That symbol is for the ANODE lead of the LED.

#347 3 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I just built the LISY PIC programmer since my programmer doesn't have support for the PIC chips used on the LISY projects. It boots and runs but only seems to have the HEX files for the LISY1, 35, and 80 boards. Is the firmware for those the latest? If not do I just copy the newer .hex files into the /lisy/picpgm directory? Can I also add the hex files for the pop bumber driver and the Bally tester/display to the same directory so I can program those PIC chips?
    I see that the latest LISY35 and LISY80 can program the PIC chips directly which is pretty awesome. Just looking for ways to easily program the PIC chips for the other LISY projects.
    Robert

When I click on the hex file for the pop bumper driver board on the LISY website, it opens up as a text file. I can't get this file onto the PIC Programmer board. I want to be able to program the PICs on those pop bumper boards so I can actually use them in a machine.

#370 3 years ago

On the pop bumper boards, I make the friction lock face the same direction as the original Gottlieb boards did.

3 weeks later
    #427 3 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

Anyone know of a way to get more than one Pi Zero ordered besides buying the kits from the jungle? TIA.

I've purchased 18 of them from pishop:

https://www.pishop.us/product/raspberry-pi-zero-wireless-wh-pre-soldered-header/

1 month later
    #491 2 years ago

The leftmost hole is pin 1. I've built several of these boards.

2 months later
    #637 2 years ago

Are the wires on the outhole coil connected correctly? Is the diode present on the coil?

3 weeks later
    #650 2 years ago

Ever thought about doing a LISY Bally 6803 system board?

1 month later
    #686 2 years ago

Yes, I have two extras of the LISY 1 and 1 extra of the LISY 80 board.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-lisy-a-replacement-mpu-for-gottlieb-bally-amp-stern?tu=kenlayton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.