Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,380 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by bontango
  • Topic is favorited by 114 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240420_121107900 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20240419_182939364 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7153 (resized).jpeg
    V2.1.1-manual-Screenshot 2024-03-01 084702 (resized).png
    V2.1.1-Screenshot 2024-03-01 083536 (resized).png
    IMG_20240115_132957064 (resized).jpg
    20240113_012302 (resized).jpg
    lamp_gnd (resized).png
    solenoid_gnd (resized).png
    20240107_095759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131532014_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131527557 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hockeymutt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#191 3 years ago

Wanted to say a huge thanks to you, for making this open source! I was not only able to get a black hole revived from a barn, but was also able to use my phone with the lisy web browser as a troubleshooting tool. Had a gi/ switch short and was able to troubleshoot easily with this. Had one minor issue with getting bad Roms but was easy enough to fix with your help!

I hope you have Williams in mind!

Also any update on the gottlieb displays?
    448E6655-1E60-4D6A-B642-B1878F9E1112 (resized).jpeg448E6655-1E60-4D6A-B642-B1878F9E1112 (resized).jpegFECE4FE7-9090-456D-819E-F0DD20CE9901 (resized).jpegFECE4FE7-9090-456D-819E-F0DD20CE9901 (resized).jpeg

#193 3 years ago

Awesome! Also you have the gerber file for the led insert?

#202 3 years ago

@bontago any plans for Bally or gottlieb driver boards? I’m about to mess with some pcb design software for driver boards and might bounce some ideas off you

#205 3 years ago

Just ran into an issue with mine, have had this this system 80 board working like a charm for weeks now, was doing some gi troubleshooting. Turned the game on and off and got stuck at wait for pi. Checked for leds and no switch led.

Things noted switch pic18f was super hot, and now my lisy green led is dim?

Tried booting with usb and keep getting error

Any help would be great!

#206 3 years ago

Edit can no longer get lisy to boot almost seems as if the pi is freezing. Also found the 47k network array had had a short on 2 switches replaced that with no joy. I can’t also run a debug

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

There was a problem in the past with Linux version of LISY, on some devices the I2C bus was not recognized
    resulting in the error indication with the two LEDs blinking.
    What LISY version do you use?
    Use latest 5.27-4, as since 5.27-1 there was another bug with LISY_control not working!

The switch PIC is very sensitive against Lamp and/or Solenoid Voltages.
    I guess you did accidently connect the switchmatrix to Lamppower.
    You need to replace the Switch PIC and do a new flashing.

That was it thanks! Now have enough PICs to build about 8 boards. Thanks for the assistance

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Digikey is out of stock of the Bourns 4609X-101-332LF (3.3k) bussed resistor networks and the 4609X-101-563LF (56k) bussed resistor networks. They say more stock is coming in 16 weeks! So I've had to get the 332LF substitutes on ebay and overpay. The 563LF I can sub the 4610X-101-563LF (10 pins instead of 9) and cut off the end pin.

I had to goto mouser a few weeks back

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/4609X-101-563LF?qs=Y%252BBfgPVcerTdtuQqhwttmQ%3D%3D

365 in stock, I think I grabbed 10 last time since it was cheaper for 10 then 2

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I would order from mouser, but they don't take Paypal. Digikey and Jameco accept Paypal.

That’s bight they don’t, didn’t even think about that.

Quoted from bontango:

I had started a 'combi LISY80 board' design with power supply and driver board included
    but not finsihed yet because of other ideas/projects.
    So yes, happy to discuss best driver board design ...

That’s brilliant! I’ve been doing some digging is see that almost all are using mofset, and saw your lisy home is based off lisy 80 so in theory if I or we could get the output to pins set up we could essentially just use that boards general structure and get all in puts and out puts routes for card connectors? Would be great to seat a 50 pin idc connector to hook up both boards together and ditch the interconnect.

Also started to do some digging into using micro controllers to control banks of lights and do away with some transistors but that’s way above my pay grade.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Just now saw this thread. Following.

Welcome it’s a great set up, after building a lisy80 have ordered almost very gerber Ralf has published. It’s rock solid stuff

#232 3 years ago

If any one needs, sound cards, lamp testers, pic programs, or gottlieb power supply or -35 boards let me know can do them at cost plus shipping. Or if some does a bulk order for some display pcbs can go that route as well.

13B04493-DB2B-47C4-9BA1-81CF8F50FF14 (resized).jpeg13B04493-DB2B-47C4-9BA1-81CF8F50FF14 (resized).jpeg

#234 3 years ago

Hey everyone about to do a decent sized order for displays if you’d like to get on it please let me know.

Bally
    Gottlieb 6 digit
    Williams 6-9
    11ab 4 square like seen on data east, swords of fury etc

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from matiou:

For the Williams displays, which boards are you referring to ?

Ones used on high speed etc top row alpha bottom 7 digit

#238 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I do need some for eightball deluxe, but my understanding is that there are only 6 digit available for bally?

Nope we can add 7 digits to the order and believe I can use 7 digits in a 6 digit game just need to look into it

#241 3 years ago

Really enjoying this, kinda put “fun” back into restoring

B0A470AB-A0B2-400D-87D9-F1E922EC961D (resized).jpegB0A470AB-A0B2-400D-87D9-F1E922EC961D (resized).jpeg
    #253 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I've got ten of those pop bumper driver boards built. Now I am waiting for parts to build the PIC programmer so I can program the PIC chip on them.
    It would be nice to install some on system 1 games to improve the pop bumper function. One thing to note about these pop bumper bumper boards: you can adjust (via jumper blocks) the pulse duration to the coil as well as the debounce time period for the spoon switch. That makes these boards more versatile than the originals. Also includes a test switch, a five volt power indicator LED, and a coil voltage indicator LED. I used a TIP102 transistor instead of the TIP120.

I used a tip120 as well, what I had on hand.

Also if anyone in the USA needs a complete diy kit Including mpu with sound card (minus PIC’s and pi... PIC where around $4 a chip and all mine are accounted for ) I have a ton of spares of everything and went overboard on mouser. Will throw in some extra spares so you will have those on hand.

I can also assemble the board as well, just trying to recoup some cost back.

#254 3 years ago

Sent an email to Ralf, jlc found an error with the smd placement on 4 items.

967DA660-F113-4126-93C2-C4CD0FEB8D3C (resized).png967DA660-F113-4126-93C2-C4CD0FEB8D3C (resized).png
    #256 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Problem solved, had an e-mail exchange with hockeymutt, reason was a wrong order.
    Make sure you order the BOM and CPL file matching the Gerber File and
    check the JLC preview of the assembled components, if something went wrong you will easily see it there.
    Also check if ALL components from the BOM are confirmed, if not pls. let me know!
    Sometimes JLC do change their internal component library and the BOM needs to be adjusted.

Thanks for that catch! Long day coupled with multiple items.

#262 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

PLEASE NOTE:
    Today I got two of my JLC orders rejected with the following comment:
    "We noticed your files are in Gerber X2 format but currently JLCPCB is still not ready for Gerber X2 (We are working on to support Gerber X2, but not fully done yet). If we use current CAM tools to convert the X2 file, there is high risk of lossing traces and get deformed pads. Some customers already received defective boards with Gerber X2 files. "
    In the past JLC did convert my X2 Gerber into the 'old format' they need without problems.
    I will convert all of my Gerber Files into the format needed by JLC now, but that will take some time!
    If you are planing to order at JLC with my Gerber files I recommend you wait a few days!
    Ralf

Hey Ralf! Jlc took just (last night) took all your files with no problem, and all my stuff is in production
    Even the most recents.

#269 3 years ago

bontango i have the ball bowler roms for the bally conversion ball bowler games i can send to you to add to the list.

#272 3 years ago

It’s like shuffle alley but with a 4” ball, essentially the same Roms with some minor tweaks. Not sure on the pinmame I’ll look into it

#275 3 years ago

If anyone in the USA needs 7 segments I have close to 100 common cathode, in 1” color is white with black back ground. Went with white to make any color I felt needed with a filter. Pricing will destroy mouser at $.75 a cube

#277 3 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Great price. I thought this display needed 0.8" LEDs?

Same mounting and pitch just slightly bigger, I’ll post a picture up to compare to an old board

#279 3 years ago

Here’s the 1” in comparison to a gottlieb

4E82C51B-402E-4155-A5A9-BCB4BBBCB076 (resized).jpeg4E82C51B-402E-4155-A5A9-BCB4BBBCB076 (resized).jpeg

And to a system 11

C0E07BBF-275B-4F35-8119-8DCDC23199D5 (resized).jpegC0E07BBF-275B-4F35-8119-8DCDC23199D5 (resized).jpeg
    #282 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Im guessing you haven't gotten the boards yet? Been building wolfpacs and upsizing is a no go because the leds wouldn't fit next to each other.

Should be here by Friday I’m hoping. Judging by the data sheet I was provided they should be the same foot print. But if they’re not I’ll be building a bunch of segmented clocks with Arduinos.

Also if anyone is looking for a us based manufacturer for segments here’s a company based out of ny, amazon has them but anything ic, resistor, etc I’ve gotten from amazon has been junk. Was sent 5 cd1450 and to save on packaging they sandwiched the chips together. Needless to say they didn’t work.

https://www.lc-led.com/Catalog/department/36/category/49/67

#285 3 years ago

Files worked great! Time to get to work

B638A593-FF9A-49CA-8A38-8120183618DA (resized).jpegB638A593-FF9A-49CA-8A38-8120183618DA (resized).jpeg
    #290 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

What’s that big board?

System 11 displays

1 week later
    #294 3 years ago

If anyone needs a set of gottlieb displays got my original ones working, smd assembled. Also have 4 credit displays up for grabs

3 weeks later
    #384 3 years ago

bontango any good source for black hole sound files? ive built your sound hat and would like to use it. but all pinmame rooms have the .snd file but not converter can covert it and no media player will play it

#400 3 years ago

bontango thanks again for all this work! How’s the sound board coming along mine just took dump!

#412 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Small Problems reported with BH ( one voice and music when the ball goes to the small playfield), but overall it is working good.
    I will upload Gerber and BOM for latest HW version over the weekend, so you can order soon.
    Software Image1 for Mars - Volcano - Black Hole - Devil's Dare is ready, other images will follow over time.

thanks again ralph, you saved my black hole. my speech board toasted itsself and had the phat sound card from your build site all ready to go threw that in. Over thought the use of it but figured it out! wasted a week trying to repair the original when i had a solution at my disposal. not bad for a total of $20.

#414 3 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If you feel like parting with your original board let me know. Would be interested as a project to repair.
    Robert

hey robot prob going to keep it, i know the sc-01 is fine and working i could trigger pheoms just had a latch issue. \

#416 3 years ago

Any idea why all segments are locked on on “e” on a credit? Checked the wiring and all good.

Also would the sound phat, even with jumper I can’t adjust volume. Pot is all to left and at boot getting “lisy volume is at 180%)
    B17E3603-CE95-4C34-98E7-4E7C48E2665C (resized).jpegB17E3603-CE95-4C34-98E7-4E7C48E2665C (resized).jpeg

5 months later
    #665 2 years ago

Ralf, finally got around to building a 35 board. I get random numbers on the displays. When hooked up to the hotspot lisy thinks it’s pink panther even tho S2 is set to on on rest off (eight all)

All Roms are on the Sd for Bally none for gottlieb

#668 2 years ago

That’s the funny part this is a lisy35 board,

Quoted from bontango:

You said 'Pink Panther', so I guess you are talking about a LISY80, not about a LISY35?
    What random numbers do you get? If you have an 'old' LISY80 HW Version ( pre 6.0 ) you need
    to program the display PIC with another Software version!
    Due to Copyright the Gottlieb roms are NOT included in my Image.
    For the 'misinterpreted' S2 dip switch I would double check orientation of the diodes and the resistor arrays.

5F893EF8-256A-4315-B2BE-7C42F482DD4B (resized).png5F893EF8-256A-4315-B2BE-7C42F482DD4B (resized).png
    1 week later
    #677 2 years ago

Thanks for the help got that sorted now having issues were I’m getting no lamps, and solenoids not working cross detector is always lit

#684 2 years ago

Thanks for the help, built this board over the course of a month, over a 9 months ago. Grabbed the wrong resistor, didn’t have the 1.5m ohm but had 2m and it solved all my issues

1 year later
    #1116 1 year ago

bontango thanks again!
    Gen1 Bally displays came out awesome

10B3B1F3-2691-4893-953C-7A34F609E1FF (resized).jpeg10B3B1F3-2691-4893-953C-7A34F609E1FF (resized).jpeg46F19CFC-3065-44B7-AC29-A00A7C486E79 (resized).jpeg46F19CFC-3065-44B7-AC29-A00A7C486E79 (resized).jpeg
    #1117 1 year ago

3 items,

anyone want to get in on my lisy system 7 order? will all parts ( 2 parts out of stock header pins) $80 per board to my door and assume another 10-20 with in the USA

same goes with lisy 80, about to order 5, i only need one same deal as above should be about $25 shipped from china to my door and another 10-20 to your door.

all at cost, just trying to spread the love.

JLC cannot build cyclone's from scratch right now main IC is out of stock from intel.

1 week later
    #1123 1 year ago

bontango any thoughts to adding a ribbon cable connector on both driver board and mpu to eliminate the interconnect harness?

#1125 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Which of the MPUs are you thinking about?
    There are several with integrated driver board :
    https://lisy.dev/willfa7.html
    https://lisy.dev/gottfa1_plus.html
    https://lisy.dev/gottfa80_plus.html

thanks! never see that on the site before!!

2 weeks later
    #1134 1 year ago

Built a sys 80 power supply. Only getting 3.5 volts at the 5v test point. Looks like the lmXxx is what handles the 5v. I must have screwed something up. ill figure that out.

old power supply in( verified everything) LISY80 in, game boots get game 34 (alien star) tries to load rom, then get ERR 10, followed by NO LAN and some other stuff on the displays. Ive seen this before on my black hole and it was ROM related. But can't remember if it was how it was label or how it was thrown in the ROM folder.

EDIT: was an adult for once, check my rom and grabbed the unzipped file. game is working great thanks!

2 weeks later
    #1140 1 year ago

any chance you'll design a set of williams 3-7 displays?

#1144 1 year ago
    Quoted from bontango:

not on my list at the moment, did you check DIY displays from Amoksolderer?
    https://github.com/AmokSolderer/APC/tree/master/DOC/Hardware

I have actually, sent you an email a few months ago about his system 11. As much as I appreciate his contributions, the layout isn’t friendly as you
    Need to sand down the segments for all his displays. And his board layout is very cluttered having capacitors over ic chips, and being double sided assembly, connectors in random spots

#1146 1 year ago
    Quoted from bontango:

I think the main problem is that standard 1" LEDs are a bit too wide and need to be sanded, where
    0.8" standard LEDs are too small compared to the original ones.
    In case you have a proposal for a 'fitting' LED display I can have a look

That would be great! He actually uses .8 in all of his designs and still requires the sanding. They’re just space to close.

#1148 1 year ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Sorry, my fault, its not 1" LEDs, so: " ... the 0.8inch are a bit too wide where 0.56inch would be too small .."
    For the 7digit version you need smaller 0.8 inch LEDs, however a 6digit version will fit, would that help?

no problem! figured as much! 7 digit was what i was really after, if we could alter it with out the sanding im 99% sure there would be no issues seeing the full display even with .8's. .8's are what rotten dog, wolfpack and xpin are using on all displays for williams.

#1150 1 year ago
    Quoted from bontango:

I think they are not using the standard LEDs but special ones which have a housing which is 16,8mm wide (instead of 20mm)
    You can order these 'somewhere in China' but usually need to order 500pcs or so in minimum
    I have uploaded the PCB layout of my Bally 7digit display
    https://lisy.dev/swrep/Displays/Bally/7digit/bally_7digit_1_32_PCB.PDF
    The Bally display do use seven standard 0.8inch LEDs, so you can print that out and check with Williams

i will get on this and report back, thanks for the help!

8 months later
    #1243 4 months ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Actually a great question…that was probably the reason! I did not have it on free play. Thank you.
    Edit- would self test not work without credits?

re-flash the switch chip, had a similar issue and flashed my switch ic with the solenoid flash. Re-flashed and game fired up. If that doesnt fix it check your resistor network values for the switches, Had one go bad randomly.

edit: looks like your missing the bally green LED. might need to investigate that. but that could also be related to the "flashing"

#1245 4 months ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Thanks for the suggestion hockeymutt. Which LED is missing?

the one in the center of the board marked "bally" it under the triple tree.

#1247 4 months ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

You’re right, that LED was off. It’s been a little bit since I’ve used the LISY35 so familiarity has faded.
    I recall one of my PICs was impossible to program in its correct slot and had to rename a file and program it in a different slot. Gonna need to look into it, thanks again.

Glad I could help! Also I believe this led flashes like a Bally game and Ralf coded it to relate the flashes like in the original mpu. So might point you in a direction

#1250 4 months ago
    Quoted from pb456:

I bought five WillFA7 boards, I'll only use 4 - anyone have a WillFA11 board that they'd trade me?
    I'll make sure the WillFA7 board is completely populated, I won't be including a Cyclone IV with it.

willing to sell one of those 7's? maybe by you some mooses tooth?!

1 week later
    #1257 4 months ago
    Quoted from loneranger:

Does anyone have the sound files for Eight Ball Deluxe to use with the PHAT sound board?

they should be in the main file.

#1260 3 months ago

Anyone have a spare 7 board? Will gladly pay you for it.

Also have 2 spare gottlieb credit displays for free if anyone needs them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hockeymutt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-lisy-a-replacement-mpu-for-gottlieb-bally-amp-stern?tu=hockeymutt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.