Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,380 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by bontango
  • Topic is favorited by 114 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240420_121107900 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20240419_182939364 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7153 (resized).jpeg
    V2.1.1-manual-Screenshot 2024-03-01 084702 (resized).png
    V2.1.1-Screenshot 2024-03-01 083536 (resized).png
    IMG_20240115_132957064 (resized).jpg
    20240113_012302 (resized).jpg
    lamp_gnd (resized).png
    solenoid_gnd (resized).png
    20240107_095759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131532014_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131527557 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grangeomatic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 3 years ago

Just wanted to comment on the LISY project that I've recently completed. I bought some LISY80 boards from JLCPCB (5 of them for $30 shipped), bought enough components to build 3 boards from Digikey (about $110 total, did NOT include the Pis). Built up my first board (soldering was pretty simple) and fired it up with a Pi that I had laying around.
    It didn't work right away. Turned out the version of LISY I had downloaded didn't work well with my version of full-sized Pi, but I contacted bontango via PM, and he walked me through it. Ralf was VERY helpful and patient. I now have two LISY boards running, one in my TX Sector and one in my Black Hole. It's a great project!

I will likely look into a Bally board for a backup. Once Ralf recommended the JLCPCB option instead of Aisler.net, the price came WAY down and made it a bit of a no-brainer for me. If you've got a board that's not working and don't mind a little tinkering, I fully recommend the LISY project to keep your older games going!

Jeff

2 months later
    #71 3 years ago

I’ve currently got BallyFA running in Paragon, KISS and Flash Gordon. Pretty simple assembly, and they’re all running well. I’ve been working with Ralf on some very minor issues, but overall I’m very impressed.
    I see the GottFA is now active, too. Way to go Ralf!

Jeff

#73 3 years ago

Ralf recommended this, so that’s where I went:
    ebay.com link: Micro SD Card Shield Wireless Control for D1 Mini ESP8266 WiFi WeMos Module
    Couldn’t find the same thing anywhere else, and not for so cheap.

I bought a few, enough to match the JLC board order, since they’re so cheap. They take a little while to arrive, but no big deal.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

. What was the cost on a board?

I built my BallyFAs for about $50-$60 each, overall.

#79 3 years ago

Yeah, I was looking into that a little yesterday. When I couldn’t find the diode array on digikey, I decided to stop.

#86 3 years ago

JLCPCB is cheap, but I’d be surprised if the LISY35 SMD totals out at $15 for 5. I bought 5 LISY80 board (no SMD) for $30 shipped and 5 BallyFA boards (with SMD) for about $60 shipped, so that part might be a little off.
    Also, I’d recommend the zero W. It’ll come in handy if you need to troubleshoot, and the LISYcontrol over your Wi-Fi is 100% worth the extra $5.

2 weeks later
    #155 3 years ago

“The LISY club”...
    I like the sound of that. I’ve got some LISY80 boards running, and some BallyFA, as well. Great project. Can’t praise Ralf enough.

Jeff

1 month later
    #289 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Files worked great! Time to get to work
    [quoted image]

What’s that big board?

#291 3 years ago

I guess I should’ve been more specific...
    Where’d you get that Sys 11 display board from?

#293 3 years ago

I've been doing my best to keep up with the APC project (I got in on ThatOneDude 's group buy), but didn't notice the Sys 11 display. I'll have to see how useful a Sys11a display board would be to me...

1 week later
    #296 3 years ago

They will work fine.
    A little larger than needed, but as long as they fit through the hole, they’ll be fine.

Jeff

#319 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Can anyone recommend a good seller for these? I don't think they will work anymore.
    [quoted image]

I've had more problems with reliable sellers than the devices themselves. I've had 3 sellers flake out on me so far, but every FPGA that actually arrived has worked well.

Seems like the prices on these are going up if you, like me, refuse to buy the cheapest one on ebay anymore. I can't find one for under $20 from a seller that doesn't seem too good to be true.

#322 3 years ago

Yeah, my last one was Amazon. I only ordered if they had the quick delivery time, meaning they were at least domestic. But all that have arrived looked and worked great. Good luck

2 months later
    #498 2 years ago

First question: are there credits in the game?

It's booting and running in attract mode properly...

#501 2 years ago

As mentioned in the Black Hole club thread, try pressing and holding the start button for a couple/three seconds. Thats how "free play" works on LISY, I believe.

2 weeks later
    #543 2 years ago

I ran the LISY80 in my TX Sector and had no issues with the sounds. Besides the longer boot up time, I saw zero difference when playing the game. And I've had my TX for something like 25 years, so I'd say I'm pretty familiar with it.

#545 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I was looking for a solution that didn't cut the sounds like the original does.
    Do you run the pHat sound card or the original sound card ?

Ahh, ok.
    I ran the original sound board.

4 months later
    #691 2 years ago

Have you tried the LISY connect that let's you modify the virtual dip switches for that game?

1 month later
    #708 2 years ago

Just wanted to say that I had two machines (Bally KISS and Paragon) at MGC this past weekend. They were both running BallyFA boards, and they both ran perfectly, from what I’m told. I didn’t get a single complaint, and almost every time I checked them out, they were being played.
    Nice work bontango !

#713 2 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

thanks for the feedback, and please do not forget to send me pictures from the event

Crap, I know I said I’d get pics, but I didn’t only bring these two games, I brought 6 others for a total of 8. Let’s just say it was more work than I had planned for...
    And as such, I forgot to take any pics of my games. Sorry.
    There are lots of general pics in the official unofficial MGC thread.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grangeomatic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-lisy-a-replacement-mpu-for-gottlieb-bally-amp-stern?tu=grangeomatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.