Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,380 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by bontango
  • Topic is favorited by 114 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240420_121107900 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20240419_182939364 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7153 (resized).jpeg
    V2.1.1-manual-Screenshot 2024-03-01 084702 (resized).png
    V2.1.1-Screenshot 2024-03-01 083536 (resized).png
    IMG_20240115_132957064 (resized).jpg
    20240113_012302 (resized).jpg
    lamp_gnd (resized).png
    solenoid_gnd (resized).png
    20240107_095759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131532014_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131527557 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#119 3 years ago

Debating building a couple of these vs the ballyfa version. Has anyone messed with both? The remote testing features on the lisy sound nice, but having an instant boot on the ballyfa version appeal.

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from matiou:

FYI I ordered 5 BallyFA boards from JLCPCB and will likely need only 1 or 2... So if someone in the US is interested, I'll sell some at cost.

Id be interested in 2

1 month later
    #237 3 years ago

I do need some for eightball deluxe, but my understanding is that there are only 6 digit available for bally?

#239 3 years ago

If I can use it in ebd I would be down for a set to build. I have a set of wolfpacs to build for my flash gordon, but the colors were pretty limited.

1 week later
    #280 3 years ago

Im guessing you haven't gotten the boards yet? Been building wolfpacs and upsizing is a no go because the leds wouldn't fit next to each other.

#286 3 years ago

Oh I am jealous. Need to finish my wolfpacs for Flash Gordon, but really want to try these in EBD. Got my cyclones in for my two Bally FA boards. Tomorrow the sd cards in and then they will be ready to test.

1 week later
    #316 3 years ago

Bally fa testing neither work. Each has different display output. Both have just cross detection light on. So one is showing the correc game selected, but never counts down on the coin display. One is wrong, issue follows the fpga. Pulled the fpga chips. Found that despite being bathed in flux the top pads didn't take any solder. I noticed issues when i got these. Debating taking a hammer to them or pulling everything and redoing them. Cheap chinese garbage for the win.

20210201_195801 (resized).jpg20210201_195801 (resized).jpg20210201_195919 (resized).jpg20210201_195919 (resized).jpg

#317 3 years ago

Can anyone recommend a good seller for these? I don't think they will work anymore.

20210201_203700 (resized).jpg20210201_203700 (resized).jpg
    #321 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

I've had more problems with reliable sellers than the devices themselves. I've had 3 sellers flake out on me so far, but every FPGA that actually arrived has worked well.
    Seems like the prices on these are going up if you, like me, refuse to buy the cheapest one on ebay anymore. I can't find one for under $20 from a seller that doesn't seem too good to be true.

These were covered in flux when i got them. They had solder bridging pins. Despite being covrred in flux they did not want to take new solder. I ordered 2 off amazon this time. 22 each but if they work idc.

1 month later
    #462 3 years ago

Finally got replacement altera chips in. Still not working. About to throw the towel in on this and sell them as someone elses headache

Ebd free play will not boot on either board when i test. Alltek works 100 percent.

One fpga seems like it failed to program or is bad. Issue follows the fpga. Other fpga has this on both boards. Zero cross detection lights. Nothing else happens.

20210329_210731 (resized).jpg20210329_210731 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #468 3 years ago

Is anyone able to download the ballyfa sd card image? Link does nothing for me.

2 weeks later
    #493 2 years ago

Have a question on the ballyfa board. Have it tested in an ebd, works.

Putting it in a Flash Gordon that was dead. Board boots, shows the info on the displays, never counts down, info on the displays turns off.

On the board itself I get an initial green flash and then several flashes, then the green light stays off. Is this an error code similar to an original bally? If so, is there a list as to what the flashes mean?

#495 2 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

It is exactly the same code as with Bally. I assume BallyFA is missing the zero cross as
    this is the only error which causes BallyFA to stop working.
    BallyFA shows a valid zero cross with the 'zero cross' LED, so if I'm right this LEd will be off with your Flash gordon but ON with your ebd.
    For a quick test you can start your Flash Gordon with Dip1 of S2 set to ON.
    BallyFA then will emulate the zero cross, but this mode is intended only for testing on the bench!
    If the error was the zero cross you will get displays and can play a game, but the controlled lamps will not work properly!

Thank you for that. Will test it.

1 year later
    #1121 1 year ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

3 items,
    anyone want to get in on my lisy system 7 order? will all parts ( 2 parts out of stock header pins) $80 per board to my door and assume another 10-20 with in the USA
    same goes with lisy 80, about to order 5, i only need one same deal as above should be about $25 shipped from china to my door and another 10-20 to your door.
    all at cost, just trying to spread the love.
    JLC cannot build cyclone's from scratch right now main IC is out of stock from intel.

I need to look at the list 7 first but might want one. I plan on doing the all in one for my 80s or I'd be interested in yours.

3 months later
    #1188 10 months ago

Did something happen to the sd card image for the willfa board? When I try to download it I get failed no file.

Edit: looks to be the link from the main willfa page. If you go to the repo it works fine.

Also, looks like Quartus II Programmer and SignalTap II is no longer available on intels website. I tried downloading the web version, but it doesnt have the driver the usb blaster so didn't try to do anything with it. Anyone got a copy of the original installer?

#1190 10 months ago
    Quoted from bontango:

link was broken, I corrected it. Thanks for letting me know

Its not easy to find anymore, I need to update my doc
    In downloadcenter klick on
    Quartus® II Web Edition Design Software Version 13.1 for WindowsIntel® Quartus® II Web Edition Design Software Version 13.1 for Windows
    on the following page select 'Additional Software' to see the download link for the programmer
    hope that helps[quoted image]

That did the trick.

Game runs, but I only get the commas on the display. Need to figure out if I am using the wrong chips or if I have an issue with the fpga.
    Not sure if any of the other populated chips are required, but I have these in their sockets notched correctly.
    SN74HC138NE4
    CD74HC244EE4

#1192 10 months ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Chips are OK, do you have the SN138 in the 'other' direction?
    What HW release do you use? Early releases had sometimes problems ith the blanking signal for the displays.

1.03, bought this off of songofsixpence unfinished so guessing this is old stock.

The 138 are notched toward the right as is called out by the silk screening above the sockets.

Found the post on the WILLFA7 thread. Ordering a replacement resistor. Pulled R40 and T10 while I wait.

4 months later
    #1223 5 months ago
    Quoted from Nds777:

I have a non operational gottlieb 80b (Hollywood heat). I would like to install a lisy mpu and display. Since the minimum order of each is 5, what does everyone do with the extras? Sell them here? Anyone have extras that they aren’t going to use?

You have to order 5 bare boards, but only 2 of those have to be assembled. I just eat the cost of the 3 bare boards.

Or, if its something I am likely to use down the road, sit on the extras.

1 month later
    #1265 3 months ago
    Quoted from bontango:

I admit that the information in the manual how to prepare roms for the SD card is a bit vague
    Each file with rom information for GOsof need to be 4K of size.
    For example for your totem you need to add 1K of data in between the sound and the 6530 file to fill up to 4K
    ( e.g. from here https://lisy.dev/swrep/soundboards/GOSOF/SD_image/1K )
    to create it you can use the command below
    copy /b 429.snd + 1K + 6530sys1.bin + 1K totem.bin
    hope that helps
    Ralf

I am also building a GOSOF as we speak for Haunted House.

HH has two sound files each being 2k.
    669-s1.snd
    669-s2.snd

Should I combine the files into 1 file of 4k? If so does it matter what it is named?

Do I leave them separate, but add 2k on each file to make each one 4k?

#1272 3 months ago

If anyone has left over boards for either the Bally or Gottlieb Tester kits let me know. Don't really want to order multiples, but wouldn't mind having them.

1 week later
    #1292 3 months ago

Working on a Pic Programmer and a bit stumped.

If I power it on after inserting the sd card the error light is locked on. The PI activity light does nothing.

My pi is hard soldered on. I tried it in another raspberry pi zero 2, no activity. If I try in an older pi 3b I get the red light and green indicator flashes in a random way.

32 GB Micro Center Micro SD Card
    Also tried a 64 GB Team Micro SD Card

I have tried both image 1 and 2, both seem like the pi is not booting? I can read the cards contents in my pc after burning the image.

#1294 3 months ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Micro Center Micro SD cards are hit and miss. Some work and others you will have issues with. I've had a couple fail.

Just tried flashing a Team 64 GB card that I had successfully been using in my Tilt Audio Board.

Same result.

#1298 3 months ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Which program do you use for flashing the card?
    My programmer is based on Raspberry Pi and have other SD cards requirements then my FPGA boards.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/raspberry-pi-microsd-cards

Balenea etcher

#1306 3 months ago

I dont have a mini hdmi cable on hand for testing, but I tested the existing sd card in my pi 3b hooked up to a monitor. It runs. Stop at a lisy login: prompt.

#1310 3 months ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Found the reason! The image for the PIC programmer is an old one which do not support the 'new' Pi zero 2
    I will create a new one based on the current lisy image, let you know ...

I wondered. Tilt Audio had the same issue, but the creator is mia. Someone on the forum had to create one for it.

3 weeks later
    #1314 74 days ago

bontango

I have a question about the GOSOF speech files. Someone on here has brought up using flipprojets.fr 669-4 game file on a lisy mpu, but how about their haunted house speech prom on a GOSOF board?

Due to licensing I'd have to buy the rom and then copy it to the gosof board, but the speech files are not played from there. I am assuming they are stored as an mp3 for the DFPlayer Mini. In theory then couldn't you replace the speech files with anything you wanted? When they are played are the sounds limited to the same duration as the originals or does it just play the file? How hard is it to find the naming convention to make a different speech capable prom work?

The reason I ask is while speech on haunted house would be neat, the speech generated from the SC-01 speech chip does not fit the tone of the game. Being able to replace just the speech could open up some real possibilities.

#1320 71 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

OK ... that should work 'out of the box' with the latest LISY image.
    You just need to change the 'Mame Name' in /lisy/lisy80/cfg/lisy80games.csv
    For original Haunted House its 'hh' at the moment.
    You find supported 'rom combinations' in the pinmame source code in gts80games.c
    https://github.com/vpinball/pinmame/blob/master/src/wpc/gts80games.c
    Have a look and search for Haunted House, for the speech mod done by flipprojects the following lines are important
    INIT_S80(hh_4, dispNumeric2, SNDBRD_GTS80SS_VOTRAX)
    GTS80_1_ROMSTART ("669-4.cpu", CRC(8724cdf8) SHA1(9c8d7433ea14b8b50014deb7574c9d5043a794cc))
    GTS80SS22_ROMSTART("669-4-s1.snd", NO_DUMP, // unreleased by the Flipprojets guys so far
    "669-4-s2.snd", NO_DUMP)
    GTS80_ROMEND
    #define input_ports_hh_4 input_ports_hh
    CORE_CLONEDEFNV(hh_4,hh,"Haunted House (rev. 4 unofficial Votrax speech MOD)",1982,"Flipprojets",gl_mGTS80SS,0)
    For this you have to name your zip file 'hh4.zip' and include 669-4.cpu, 669-4-s1.snd and 669-4-s2.snd in it.
    LISY will not load the snd files, but I guess it will come up with an error if missing.
    Then change 'hh' in lisy80games.csv to 'hh4'
    thats it!
    wish you success

I need to build my cpu board but will try this in the next week or two hopefully.

#1322 65 days ago

I have not. I need to order the parts to build you pop boards. I ordered 20 of those boards 6 months ago, but just haven't had time.

1 week later
    #1328 57 days ago

Built my GottFA80_PLus only to realize i am a part short.

I do have to ask, why not add a dedicated ground attachment to it and the GOSOF? I realize I can solder one on and the FA80_Plus has multiple ground attachments via plugs, but just found it odd.

1 month later
    #1365 9 days ago

Just assembled two disp80 credit displays and getting nothing. Original display works fine. Used a 5261aw for the led. Its common cathode but wondering if it is wrong?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805466764518.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.4.6cc7f19cz3pgnz&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

This is running off a pascal board. I tested this in another game with 7 digit displays and my disp80 7 digits work in it, but not the 4 digit. Gonna just order the recommended locn led digits.

Also, got a good source for the led digits for 6 digit displays? The link on your website is bad.

#1379 3 days ago

I did. I took a hammer to it. I had hard soldered the pi zero in and the usb slot broke so it wouldnt run. I desoldered it and pulled a trace. Ran a jumper, but from that point on I could not get the programmer to detect the pic chip. Honestly, I am wasting more time on it than its worth so I am just going to buy one.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-lisy-a-replacement-mpu-for-gottlieb-bally-amp-stern?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.