Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,360 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by RandyW
  • Topic is favorited by 112 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7153 (resized).jpeg
    V2.1.1-manual-Screenshot 2024-03-01 084702 (resized).png
    V2.1.1-Screenshot 2024-03-01 083536 (resized).png
    IMG_20240115_132957064 (resized).jpg
    20240113_012302 (resized).jpg
    lamp_gnd (resized).png
    solenoid_gnd (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20240107_095759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131532014_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131527557 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131525512 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131512183_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131514994 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131444708 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_123947004_HDR (resized).jpg

There are 1,360 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 28.
    #251 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

The description says they are 20mm wide digit packages. When using 7 digits, how do the edges fit in the backglass display window?

Fitting is IMHO good, see picture of Space Invaders in my post #240
    You may want to spend a framing like the original displays have, an ideal opportunity to make something usefull with a 3D printer

#252 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I've got ten of those pop bumper driver boards built. Now I am waiting for parts to build the PIC programmer so I can program the PIC chip on them.

Great that you enjoy my projects, just a few comments on my pop bumper board and the programmer:

I got some feedback from users reporting stuck solenoids with my boards, while others reporting that they work great. I assume the
    reason is around bad grounding, but not 100% sure. Would be interisting to get your feedback.

My programmer can only flash PICs in 'low voltage mode'. The software for GOPOP80 I have on lisy.dev however is in 'high voltage mode'.
    I will issue a 'low voltage mode' version ASAP.

#253 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I've got ten of those pop bumper driver boards built. Now I am waiting for parts to build the PIC programmer so I can program the PIC chip on them.
    It would be nice to install some on system 1 games to improve the pop bumper function. One thing to note about these pop bumper bumper boards: you can adjust (via jumper blocks) the pulse duration to the coil as well as the debounce time period for the spoon switch. That makes these boards more versatile than the originals. Also includes a test switch, a five volt power indicator LED, and a coil voltage indicator LED. I used a TIP102 transistor instead of the TIP120.

I used a tip120 as well, what I had on hand.

Also if anyone in the USA needs a complete diy kit Including mpu with sound card (minus PIC’s and pi... PIC where around $4 a chip and all mine are accounted for ) I have a ton of spares of everything and went overboard on mouser. Will throw in some extra spares so you will have those on hand.

I can also assemble the board as well, just trying to recoup some cost back.

#254 3 years ago

Sent an email to Ralf, jlc found an error with the smd placement on 4 items.

967DA660-F113-4126-93C2-C4CD0FEB8D3C (resized).png967DA660-F113-4126-93C2-C4CD0FEB8D3C (resized).png
    #255 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Sent an email to Ralf, jlc found an error with the smd placement on 4 items.

Problem solved, had an e-mail exchange with hockeymutt, reason was a wrong order.
    Make sure you order the BOM and CPL file matching the Gerber File and
    check the JLC preview of the assembled components, if something went wrong you will easily see it there.

Also check if ALL components from the BOM are confirmed, if not pls. let me know!
    Sometimes JLC do change their internal component library and the BOM needs to be adjusted.

#256 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Problem solved, had an e-mail exchange with hockeymutt, reason was a wrong order.
    Make sure you order the BOM and CPL file matching the Gerber File and
    check the JLC preview of the assembled components, if something went wrong you will easily see it there.
    Also check if ALL components from the BOM are confirmed, if not pls. let me know!
    Sometimes JLC do change their internal component library and the BOM needs to be adjusted.

Thanks for that catch! Long day coupled with multiple items.

#257 3 years ago

New power supply has gotten my 'The Games' back up and running Had an issue at first with 5V not present, turned out I hadn't soldered the surface mount inductor correctly, and needed a bit more heat and solder.

IMG_5691 (resized).jpgIMG_5691 (resized).jpg
    #258 3 years ago

PLEASE NOTE:
    Today I got two of my JLC orders rejected with the following comment:

"We noticed your files are in Gerber X2 format but currently JLCPCB is still not ready for Gerber X2 (We are working on to support Gerber X2, but not fully done yet). If we use current CAM tools to convert the X2 file, there is high risk of lossing traces and get deformed pads. Some customers already received defective boards with Gerber X2 files. "

In the past JLC did convert my X2 Gerber into the 'old format' they need without problems.
    I will convert all of my Gerber Files into the format needed by JLC now, but that will take some time!
    If you are planing to order at JLC with my Gerber files I recommend you wait a few days!

Ralf

#259 3 years ago
    Quoted from matiou:

I have an extra BallyFA 1.12 board from JLCPCB... I can sell it at cost ($18 + shipping).
    1.12 is same as 1.03 described on lisy.dev, except the dip switches and the 2 buttons are onboard already (no need to purchase separately).
    [quoted image]

matiou do you still have this for sale?

#260 3 years ago
    Quoted from noopy:

matiou do you still have this for sale?

nope sorry, sold it!

#261 3 years ago
    Quoted from matiou:

nope sorry, sold it!

If anyone has a Bally (LISY or fpga) board that they want to sell please let me know. I’d rather not buy 5 and only need 1. Thanks!

#262 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

PLEASE NOTE:
    Today I got two of my JLC orders rejected with the following comment:
    "We noticed your files are in Gerber X2 format but currently JLCPCB is still not ready for Gerber X2 (We are working on to support Gerber X2, but not fully done yet). If we use current CAM tools to convert the X2 file, there is high risk of lossing traces and get deformed pads. Some customers already received defective boards with Gerber X2 files. "
    In the past JLC did convert my X2 Gerber into the 'old format' they need without problems.
    I will convert all of my Gerber Files into the format needed by JLC now, but that will take some time!
    If you are planing to order at JLC with my Gerber files I recommend you wait a few days!
    Ralf

Hey Ralf! Jlc took just (last night) took all your files with no problem, and all my stuff is in production
    Even the most recents.

#263 3 years ago

Maybe depending on the technican who makes the check?
    Anyway, I renewed the Gerber Data for Bally and Gottlieb Display just to be on the safe side
    Should work now, but pls. let me know if you facing problems ...

#264 3 years ago

Hi All,
    Recently completed a LISY80 mpu for my Gottlieb Hollywood Heat(system 80B). I am having an odd issue that I believe is related to using a PI 3B. Upon boot up, Phase 1 is as it should be, but when it gets to phase 2, the yellow led and red error led come on, and I just get random numbers and symbols on display. A few seconds later I have green led, and a red error led, but pin goes into attract mode, and you can play just fine with the exception of random numbers/symbols on display. I have tried 3 different SD cards, 2 different places for ROM image, uninstalled/reinstalled latest version of LISY 3 times, reprogramed PICs 3 times, also tried it on another System 80b game(Raven) always the same result. I will have a PI zero here in another day or 2, hoping it is just a glitch with the PI 3B.

#265 3 years ago

Quick Update, Success!! My PI Zero showed up early, installed and game works great. Just guessing, but there must be a code issue between LISY80 for Displays and a PI 3B, or maybe I just have a flaky PI 3B. Aside from this slight hiccup, I am very happy with LISY overall, and plan on diving into many of the other projects on the website. Thanks for these great projects!

#266 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrsodapop:

Just guessing, but there must be a code issue between LISY80 for Displays and a PI 3B, or maybe I just have a flaky PI 3B.

If the red error LEd is reproducible with the PI3B you can make a debug file ( user manual chapter 17) and see what is stated there (or send me the debug file). In general PI3B should working fine, I'm using a PI3B myself for development.

#267 3 years ago

Having the same issue's as mrsodapop but with a Pi3A. Testing on a Raven.

#268 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMario:

Having the same issue's as mrsodapop but with a Pi3A. Testing on a Raven.

Happy to help, but need more information, is the issue only with PI3A, so with PI Zero it is working?

#269 3 years ago

bontango i have the ball bowler roms for the bally conversion ball bowler games i can send to you to add to the list.

#270 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

i have the ball bowler roms for the bally conversion ball bowler games i can send to you to add to the list.

happy to add them if there is an interest from the community.
    Can you give a bit of background information on ball bowler games, they are new to me.
    Also wonder if they are supported by piname, do you know?

#271 3 years ago

Q: for Bally 6 and 7 digit displays, what are the estimated costs for the full BOM and circuit board? Anyone done these?

#272 3 years ago

It’s like shuffle alley but with a 4” ball, essentially the same Roms with some minor tweaks. Not sure on the pinmame I’ll look into it

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

Q: for Bally 6 and 7 digit displays, what are the estimated costs for the full BOM and circuit board? Anyone done these?

At JLC you need to order 5 PCBs from each type in minimum. If you order more the price will lower significantly.
    In additon you need to order the LEDs, here price depends also on numbers but mainly on the color.

For a 'set' ( 1*6digit plus 4*7digit) with a minimum JLC order where you have 4*6digit and 1*7digit 'spare' PCBs afterwards
    plus 34 LEDs and the other components ( Pins, poti, Jumper) plus customs and shipping I would estimate around 150$.

If you go for 5 sets and order 5*6digit and 20*7digit it will go down to less then 100$ per set.

#274 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

At JLC you need to order 5 PCBs from each type in minimum. If you order more the price will lower significantly.
    In additon you need to order the LEDs, here price depends also on numbers but mainly on the color.
    For a 'set' ( 1*6digit plus 4*7digit) with a minimum JLC order where you have 4*6digit and 1*7digit 'spare' PCBs afterwards
    plus 34 LEDs and the other components ( Pins, poti, Jumper) plus customs and shipping I would estimate around 150$.
    If you go for 5 sets and order 5*6digit and 20*7digit it will go down to less then 100$ per set.

I think I already know the answer to this, but it's ok to add an LED display while other displays are traditional gas?

#275 3 years ago

If anyone in the USA needs 7 segments I have close to 100 common cathode, in 1” color is white with black back ground. Went with white to make any color I felt needed with a filter. Pricing will destroy mouser at $.75 a cube

#276 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

If anyone in the USA needs 7 segments I have close to 100 common cathode, in 1” color is white with black back ground. Went with white to make any color I felt needed with a filter. Pricing will destroy mouser at $.75 a cube

Great price. I thought this display needed 0.8" LEDs?

#277 3 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Great price. I thought this display needed 0.8" LEDs?

Same mounting and pitch just slightly bigger, I’ll post a picture up to compare to an old board

#278 3 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:I think I already know the answer to this, but it's ok to add an LED display while other displays are traditional gas?

I think it's ok to mix but remove the wire at pin 1 from J1 of the connector on the LED display. You don't want (or need) high voltage there.

#279 3 years ago

Here’s the 1” in comparison to a gottlieb

4E82C51B-402E-4155-A5A9-BCB4BBBCB076 (resized).jpeg4E82C51B-402E-4155-A5A9-BCB4BBBCB076 (resized).jpeg

And to a system 11

C0E07BBF-275B-4F35-8119-8DCDC23199D5 (resized).jpegC0E07BBF-275B-4F35-8119-8DCDC23199D5 (resized).jpeg
    #280 3 years ago

Im guessing you haven't gotten the boards yet? Been building wolfpacs and upsizing is a no go because the leds wouldn't fit next to each other.

#281 3 years ago

Hello All:
    I got a PM from someone wanting the BOM for the LISY35 from Mouser and Digikey. I checked with Ralf and he said I could post the BOM for anyone else who might need it. I have it on an Excel worksheet if needed. PM me for that.
    Mike

My lisy35 bom.pdfMy lisy35 bom.pdf
    #282 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Im guessing you haven't gotten the boards yet? Been building wolfpacs and upsizing is a no go because the leds wouldn't fit next to each other.

Should be here by Friday I’m hoping. Judging by the data sheet I was provided they should be the same foot print. But if they’re not I’ll be building a bunch of segmented clocks with Arduinos.

Also if anyone is looking for a us based manufacturer for segments here’s a company based out of ny, amazon has them but anything ic, resistor, etc I’ve gotten from amazon has been junk. Was sent 5 cd1450 and to save on packaging they sandwiched the chips together. Needless to say they didn’t work.

https://www.lc-led.com/Catalog/department/36/category/49/67

#283 3 years ago

Just an FYI Besides Digikey and Mouser you might consider Arrow there pricing in usually cheaper for the same part # and if you join the arrowperks program which is free you get free 2 day shipping on orders of $50 or more and free international express shipping i got 100 of these resistors #CFR16J470R in 3 days from japan for less

Another example FA16C0G2A104JRU06 Digikey price .85 arrow .41 and #DS01C-254-L-08BE (20) Digikey 12.58 Arrow 9.98

They don't always have every part but its defiantly worth checking out . i saved over $50 with my latest order

#284 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigfoot53:

Just an FYI Besides Digikey and Mouser you might consider Arrow there pricing in usually cheaper for the same part # and if you join the arrowperks program which is free you get free 2 day shipping on orders of $50 or more and free international express shipping i got 100 of these resistors #CFR16J470R in 3 days from japan for less
    Another example FA16C0G2A104JRU06 Digikey price .85 arrow .41 and #DS01C-254-L-08BE (20) Digikey 12.58 Arrow 9.98
    They don't always have every part but its defiantly worth checking out . i saved over $50 with my latest order

Arrow also has a good selection of higher rated IDC connectors, both .100 and .154. Used them in the past, they were great.

#285 3 years ago

Files worked great! Time to get to work

B638A593-FF9A-49CA-8A38-8120183618DA (resized).jpegB638A593-FF9A-49CA-8A38-8120183618DA (resized).jpeg
    #286 3 years ago

Oh I am jealous. Need to finish my wolfpacs for Flash Gordon, but really want to try these in EBD. Got my cyclones in for my two Bally FA boards. Tomorrow the sd cards in and then they will be ready to test.

#287 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

[quoted image]

I ordered 10 Bally 6 digit displays, have to get the other through-hole parts yet, but excited to see this come to fruition.... Like I need another project LOL

#288 3 years ago

Also, very much looking forward to the Gottlieb Sound + Speech board.... Thanks very much!

#289 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

[quoted image]

What’s that big board?

#290 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

What’s that big board?

System 11 displays

#291 3 years ago

I guess I should’ve been more specific...
    Where’d you get that Sys 11 display board from?

#292 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

Where’d you get that Sys 11 display board from?

This is part of Amoksolderers APC project : https://github.com/AmokSolderer/APC
    There is a link on the bottom:
    6 Additional non APC hardware - just some stuff I designed over the years. Can also be used without the APC

Latest APC version has an integrated LISY on board, have a look at the github page and into the pinside thread
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arduino-pinball-controller

#293 3 years ago

I've been doing my best to keep up with the APC project (I got in on ThatOneDude 's group buy), but didn't notice the Sys 11 display. I'll have to see how useful a Sys11a display board would be to me...

#294 3 years ago

If anyone needs a set of gottlieb displays got my original ones working, smd assembled. Also have 4 credit displays up for grabs

#295 3 years ago

I can't get the 1/4 watt, 470 ohm resistors needed for the LISY80 locally. The guy in the shop told me these ones (1/2 watt, 470 ohm) will be ok.

But I don't trust him! He just wanted my 75 cents!

Is he right though? Will the ones in the photo be ok for R17-R24 ?

PXL_20210129_233217752 (resized).jpgPXL_20210129_233217752 (resized).jpg
    #296 3 years ago

They will work fine.
    A little larger than needed, but as long as they fit through the hole, they’ll be fine.

Jeff

#297 3 years ago

Thanks Jeff!

#298 3 years ago

Here's a video of my first LISY80 start up in my Volcano
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ih5bcj7kipgjkck/PXL_20210130_082441258.mp4?dl=0

PI lights up, but uh oh.... WOOP WOOP WOOP!

I'm actually happy something_ is happening, as this machine has been dead a long time.

Evening here now. Will try to bench debug tomorrow. Any pointers very welcome.

#299 3 years ago

This might help from page 15 of the manual:

Lisy does try to auto detect the underlying type of HW (LISY1/LISY80/LISY35 and its different HW releases) in a very early state. If auto detection fails the pinball will stay in ‘Phase 1’ and LED D2 & D3 (red & yellow) will start blinking. Most likely the error reason is the SMD chip X1, check your soldering!

#300 3 years ago
    Quoted from adfit:

I'm actually happy something_ is happening, as this machine has been dead a long time.

Didi you program the PICs? Independent of the PI you should see 'LISY80' in the display of player 1 right after powering up.

There are 1,360 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-lisy-a-replacement-mpu-for-gottlieb-bally-amp-stern/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.