(Topic ID: 253917)

DIY: 'LISY', a replacement MPU for Gottlieb, Bally & Stern

By bontango

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_7153 (resized).jpeg
    V2.1.1-manual-Screenshot 2024-03-01 084702 (resized).png
    V2.1.1-Screenshot 2024-03-01 083536 (resized).png
    IMG_20240115_132957064 (resized).jpg
    20240113_012302 (resized).jpg
    lamp_gnd (resized).png
    solenoid_gnd (resized).png
    20240107_095759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131532014_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131527557 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131525512 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131512183_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131514994 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,373 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 28.
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from kickabit:

Are there any plans to make a version of this board for other Classic Sterns? It seems like you could add the SB-100 and/or SB-300 boards onto the FPGA and provide an audio out connector on the board.

Not with the current Cyclone II FPGA as I do not have enough resources left. But I'm working on a version with Cyclone IV which theoretically could also provide a soundboard. This Cyclone IV will be preassembled by JLC on the board, so no need for the extra board and sockets anymore.

#202 3 years ago

@bontago any plans for Bally or gottlieb driver boards? I’m about to mess with some pcb design software for driver boards and might bounce some ideas off you

#203 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

any plans for Bally or gottlieb driver board

I had started a 'combi LISY80 board' design with power supply and driver board included
    but not finsihed yet because of other ideas/projects.
    So yes, happy to discuss best driver board design ...

#204 3 years ago

Hello,

I've finished my LISY80 (v603). I would like to get it working with a Raspbery Pi 3 A+ because of it's higher performance.
    The controller does boot, but when it should start the game the red and yellow LED start to alternate (D2 and D3).
    Things i tried:
    * programming the PIC's on board was no problem,
    * replaced the Pi3 A+ with a Pi zero W and everything works.
    * In debug mode no output.
    Are there some settings on the Pi I need to change or does it just not work with a Pi3 A+
    ( it is been tested on a Gottlieb Time Line, sys80)

#205 3 years ago

Just ran into an issue with mine, have had this this system 80 board working like a charm for weeks now, was doing some gi troubleshooting. Turned the game on and off and got stuck at wait for pi. Checked for leds and no switch led.

Things noted switch pic18f was super hot, and now my lisy green led is dim?

Tried booting with usb and keep getting error

Any help would be great!

#206 3 years ago

Edit can no longer get lisy to boot almost seems as if the pi is freezing. Also found the 47k network array had had a short on 2 switches replaced that with no joy. I can’t also run a debug

#207 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMario:

I would like to get it working with a Raspbery Pi 3 A+ because of it's higher performance.
    The controller does boot, but when it should start the game the red and yellow LED start to alternate (D2 and D3).
    Things i tried:

There was a problem in the past with Linux version of LISY, on some devices the I2C bus was not recognized
    resulting in the error indication with the two LEDs blinking.
    What LISY version do you use?

Use latest 5.27-4, as since 5.27-1 there was another bug with LISY_control not working!

Quoted from hockeymutt:

was doing some gi troubleshooting. Turned the game on and off and got stuck at wait for pi.

The switch PIC is very sensitive against Lamp and/or Solenoid Voltages.
    I guess you did accidently connect the switchmatrix to Lamppower.
    You need to replace the Switch PIC and do a new flashing.

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

There was a problem in the past with Linux version of LISY, on some devices the I2C bus was not recognized
    Use latest 5.27-4, as since 5.27-1 there was another bug with LISY_control not working!

I used 5_26-28, will give it a try with the newest version.
    Thanks alot!

#209 3 years ago

LISY would be a great boon to Game Plan owners.

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

LISY would be a great boon to Game Plan owners.

Or Bally home models.

Or even the Allied Leisure/Fascination machines or Atari pinballs.

#211 3 years ago

#212 3 years ago

The LISY 35 board will take you much more time to assemble than the LISY1 and LISY80 boards.

#213 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

The LISY 35 board will take you much more time to assemble than the LISY1 and LISY80 boards.

I recommend to use my LISY35-SMD preassembled by JLC https://lisy.dev/lisy35-smd.html
    Most of the resistors, capacitors and diodes are already on the board with this version
    Cost for assembling 5 boards is around 20€ ( parts included!)
    As I do provide JLC BOM and the component location file ordering is easy and described here
    https://lisy.dev/media/files/jlc-how-to-order-01.pdf

Just double check that JLC do confirm all the components from the BOM as sometimes they do change their part libraries.
    Let me know in case JLC has changed their library components and I ill try to find replacement parts.

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

That was it thanks! Now have enough PICs to build about 8 boards. Thanks for the assistance

#215 3 years ago

Digikey is out of stock of the Bourns 4609X-101-332LF (3.3k) bussed resistor networks and the 4609X-101-563LF (56k) bussed resistor networks. They say more stock is coming in 16 weeks! So I've had to get the 332LF substitutes on ebay and overpay. The 563LF I can sub the 4610X-101-563LF (10 pins instead of 9) and cut off the end pin.

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the latest 5.27-4 image is too large to fit on an 8GB SD card.

#217 3 years ago

Just now saw this thread. Following.

#218 3 years ago

I have an extra BallyFA 1.12 board from JLCPCB... I can sell it at cost ($18 + shipping).

1.12 is same as 1.03 described on lisy.dev, except the dip switches and the 2 buttons are onboard already (no need to purchase separately).
    ballyfa_e8ddd5dd3af3b4786d0a3e6e2fb1f6b4a8911af6 (resized).jpgballyfa_e8ddd5dd3af3b4786d0a3e6e2fb1f6b4a8911af6 (resized).jpg

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Digikey is out of stock of the Bourns 4609X-101-332LF (3.3k) bussed resistor networks and the 4609X-101-563LF (56k) bussed resistor networks. They say more stock is coming in 16 weeks! So I've had to get the 332LF substitutes on ebay and overpay. The 563LF I can sub the 4610X-101-563LF (10 pins instead of 9) and cut off the end pin.

I had to goto mouser a few weeks back

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/4609X-101-563LF?qs=Y%252BBfgPVcerTdtuQqhwttmQ%3D%3D

365 in stock, I think I grabbed 10 last time since it was cheaper for 10 then 2

#220 3 years ago

I would order from mouser, but they don't take Paypal. Digikey and Jameco accept Paypal.

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I would order from mouser, but they don't take Paypal. Digikey and Jameco accept Paypal.

That’s bight they don’t, didn’t even think about that.

Quoted from bontango:

I had started a 'combi LISY80 board' design with power supply and driver board included
    but not finsihed yet because of other ideas/projects.
    So yes, happy to discuss best driver board design ...

That’s brilliant! I’ve been doing some digging is see that almost all are using mofset, and saw your lisy home is based off lisy 80 so in theory if I or we could get the output to pins set up we could essentially just use that boards general structure and get all in puts and out puts routes for card connectors? Would be great to seat a 50 pin idc connector to hook up both boards together and ditch the interconnect.

Also started to do some digging into using micro controllers to control banks of lights and do away with some transistors but that’s way above my pay grade.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Just now saw this thread. Following.

Welcome it’s a great set up, after building a lisy80 have ordered almost very gerber Ralf has published. It’s rock solid stuff

#223 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Mouser takes Paypal. I used it all 3 times I ordered from them.
    Mike

#224 3 years ago

From Mouser's own HELP page about forms of payment:

Payment Terms

Accepted Currencies

AUD - Australian Dollar
    BGN - Bulgarian Lev*
    CAD - Canadian Dollar
    CHF - Swiss Franc
    CZK - Czech Koruna*
    DKK - Danish Krone
    EUR - Euro
    GBP - Pound Sterling
    HKD - Hong Kong Dollar

HUF - Hungarian Forint*
    IND - Indian Rupee*
    ILS - Israeli Shekel*
    JPY - Japanese Yen
    KRW - Korean Won*
    MYR - Malaysian Ringgit*
    NOK - Norwegian Krone
    NZD - New Zealand Dollar
    PHP - Philippine Peso*

PLN - Polish Zloty*
    RMB - Renminbi
    RON - Romanian Leu*
    SEK - Swedish Krona
    SGD - Singapore Dollar
    THB - Thai Baht*
    TWD - New Taiwan Dollar*
    USD - US Dollar
    ZAR - South African Rand

*BGN, CZK, HUF, IND, ILS, KRW, MYR, PHP, PLN, RON, THB & TWD are only available when paying by AMEX, Visa, MasterCard. More terms are available when ordering in United States Dollar (USD).

Credit Cards

American Express
    MasterCard
    VISA

Net 30

Net Terms Can be established for businesses, schools and government agencies. Credit limits are dependent upon references and Dun & Bradstreet Ratings. You can obtain a credit application online.

Cash on Delivery

COD is only available from certain carriers within the United States. All COD fees charged by the carrier apply. Not available when shipping via the US Postal Service or using your own freight account number.

Prepaid Wire Transfer/Proforma Invoice

Mouser can accept funds wired to our bank. We will contact you with the total amount which will include shipping charges, applicable taxes and wire transfer fees. We will reserve stock for your order for 10 business days on orders awaiting funds. Orders will be canceled after 15 business days if funds have not been received.

Nowhere does it say anything about Paypal. Also, nowhere is the Paypal logo.

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from kickabit:

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the latest 5.27-4 image is too large to fit on an 8GB SD card.

There are big differences in capacity even with the same manufacturer.
    I choosed my 'smallest' 8GB card to make the image, but that will not fit on all 8 GB cards.
    Take a 16GB card to be on the safe side, price is almost the same.

#226 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

From Mouser's own HELP page about forms of payment:
    Payment Terms
    Accepted Currencies
    AUD - Australian Dollar
    BGN - Bulgarian Lev*
    CAD - Canadian Dollar
    CHF - Swiss Franc
    CZK - Czech Koruna*
    DKK - Danish Krone
    EUR - Euro
    GBP - Pound Sterling
    HKD - Hong Kong Dollar
    HUF - Hungarian Forint*
    IND - Indian Rupee*
    ILS - Israeli Shekel*
    JPY - Japanese Yen
    KRW - Korean Won*
    MYR - Malaysian Ringgit*
    NOK - Norwegian Krone
    NZD - New Zealand Dollar
    PHP - Philippine Peso*
    PLN - Polish Zloty*
    RMB - Renminbi
    RON - Romanian Leu*
    SEK - Swedish Krona
    SGD - Singapore Dollar
    THB - Thai Baht*
    TWD - New Taiwan Dollar*
    USD - US Dollar
    ZAR - South African Rand
    *BGN, CZK, HUF, IND, ILS, KRW, MYR, PHP, PLN, RON, THB & TWD are only available when paying by AMEX, Visa, MasterCard. More terms are available when ordering in United States Dollar (USD).
    Credit Cards
    American Express
    MasterCard
    VISA
    Net 30
    Net Terms Can be established for businesses, schools and government agencies. Credit limits are dependent upon references and Dun & Bradstreet Ratings. You can obtain a credit application online.
    Cash on Delivery
    COD is only available from certain carriers within the United States. All COD fees charged by the carrier apply. Not available when shipping via the US Postal Service or using your own freight account number.
    Prepaid Wire Transfer/Proforma Invoice
    Mouser can accept funds wired to our bank. We will contact you with the total amount which will include shipping charges, applicable taxes and wire transfer fees. We will reserve stock for your order for 10 business days on orders awaiting funds. Orders will be canceled after 15 business days if funds have not been received.
    Nowhere does it say anything about Paypal. Also, nowhere is the Paypal logo.

Give it a try. Put something in the cart and see if paypal is not offered. If you want I will order for you and have it shipped to you.
    Trying to help out a fellow collector in this year of 2021!!!
    Mike

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from packie1:

Give it a try. Put something in the cart and see if paypal is not offered. If you want I will order for you and have it shipped to you.
    Trying to help out a fellow collector in this year of 2021!!!
    Mike

I have purchased from Mouser using PayPal. Only downside is you can't add to the order to combine after submitted if you use PayPal. You can add to the order if you use a credit card.

#228 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

There are big differences in capacity even with the same manufacturer.
    I choosed my 'smallest' 8GB card to make the image, but that will not fit on all 8 GB cards.
    Take a 16GB card to be on the safe side, price is almost the same.

I noticed the older image was a bit smaller than this new one and thought it may have been an issue. When I tried four 8GB cards from various manufactures none of them came close to the new size. These were older cards I had laying around so maybe that made a difference. No worries, i'll pickup some 16GB cards.

#229 3 years ago

Looking to order the System 80 Power Supply board from JLCPCB, should I go with 2oz copper option for that board due to some of the current drawn through it?

#230 3 years ago

That one https://lisy.dev/system80-power-supply.html ?
    IMHO not needed, I made the minimum width for the pcb tracks in the 5 Volt section 2mm,
    with 1oz that results in a maximum increase of temperature of 10 Kelvin up to 3.8 Ampere

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

That one https://lisy.dev/system80-power-supply.html ?
    IMHO not needed, I made the minimum width for the pcb tracks in the 5 Volt section 2mm,
    with 1oz that results in a maximum increase of temperature of 10 Kelvin up to 3.8 Ampere

That's the one, thanks for the response!

#232 3 years ago

If any one needs, sound cards, lamp testers, pic programs, or gottlieb power supply or -35 boards let me know can do them at cost plus shipping. Or if some does a bulk order for some display pcbs can go that route as well.

13B04493-DB2B-47C4-9BA1-81CF8F50FF14 (resized).jpeg13B04493-DB2B-47C4-9BA1-81CF8F50FF14 (resized).jpeg

#233 3 years ago

5 x Lisy80's have made it to Melbourne, Australia. I have ordered enough components to make only 2. Happy to give the others away to other Aus Gottlieb owners for free (if you pick up) or for postage cost if you're not close.

Wouldn't be worth international postage I don't think, but if YOU do, I'll send you one of course!

PXL_20210106_074308167 (resized).jpgPXL_20210106_074308167 (resized).jpg
    #234 3 years ago

Hey everyone about to do a decent sized order for displays if you’d like to get on it please let me know.

Bally
    Gottlieb 6 digit
    Williams 6-9
    11ab 4 square like seen on data east, swords of fury etc

#235 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Hey everyone about to do a decent sized order for displays if you’d like to get on it please let me know.
    Bally
    Gottlieb 6 digit
    Williams 6-9
    11ab 4 square like seen on data east, swords of fury etc

For the Williams displays, which boards are you referring to ?

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from matiou:

For the Williams displays, which boards are you referring to ?

Ones used on high speed etc top row alpha bottom 7 digit

#237 3 years ago

I do need some for eightball deluxe, but my understanding is that there are only 6 digit available for bally?

#238 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I do need some for eightball deluxe, but my understanding is that there are only 6 digit available for bally?

Nope we can add 7 digits to the order and believe I can use 7 digits in a 6 digit game just need to look into it

#239 3 years ago

If I can use it in ebd I would be down for a set to build. I have a set of wolfpacs to build for my flash gordon, but the colors were pretty limited.

#240 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Nope we can add 7 digits to the order and believe I can use 7 digits in a 6 digit game just need to look into it

Yes, for Bally I have two versions: a 6digit and a 7digit display. The 7digit Display can OPTIONALLY be used in '6digit' games by
    using the '7digit bootleg' rom version from Okaegi http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_d7.html
    I have integrated the needed components from Okaegi design on the 7digit display, they can be activated with a jumper bank.

No new wiring needed! Just set the jumpers and use the 7digit bootleg rom and your 6digit game will run with 7digit counters.

Both displays using 0.8" 1 digit LEDs which can be ordered in different colors here
    https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32839246195.html
    ( make sure you use the 'common cathod' version)

I will add more documentation and pictures to https://lisy.dev/bally-7digit.html once I did the final test with version 1.0
    Hope I will get the Bally display PCBs within the next days, so stay tuned!

Below a '7digit' Space Invaders with my 7digit displays in red

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #241 3 years ago

Really enjoying this, kinda put “fun” back into restoring

B0A470AB-A0B2-400D-87D9-F1E922EC961D (resized).jpegB0A470AB-A0B2-400D-87D9-F1E922EC961D (resized).jpeg
    #242 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

The 7digit Display can OPTIONALLY be used in '6digit' games by using the '7digit bootleg' rom version
    I have integrated the needed components from Okaegi design on the 7digit display, they can be activated with a jumper bank

Great to see someone finally integrate this feature on their 7-digit LED displays for the simple cost of an extra $1 logic chip

Quoted from bontango:

Both displays using 0.8" 1 digit LEDs which can be ordered in different colors here

The description says they are 20mm wide digit packages. When using 7 digits, how do the edges fit in the backglass display window?

#243 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Yes, for Bally I have two versions: a 6digit and a 7digit display. The 7digit Display can OPTIONALLY be used in '6digit' games by
    using the '7digit bootleg' rom version from Okaegi http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_d7.html
    I have integrated the needed components from Okaegi design on the 7digit display, they can be activated with a jumper bank.
    No new wiring needed! Just set the jumpers and use the 7digit bootleg rom and your 6digit game will run with 7digit counters.
    https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32839246195.html
    ( make sure you use the 'common cathod' version)
    I will add more documentation and pictures to https://lisy.dev/bally-7digit.html once I did the final test with version 1.0
    Hope I will get the Bally display PCBs within the next days, so stay tuned!
    Below a '7digit' Space Invaders with my 7digit displays in red[quoted image]

Been following along and interested! Looks like these use surface mount components. When ordered do they come with those parts already installed?

#244 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Really enjoying this, kinda put “fun” back into restoring
    [quoted image]

I've got ten of those pop bumper driver boards built. Now I am waiting for parts to build the PIC programmer so I can program the PIC chip on them.

It would be nice to install some on system 1 games to improve the pop bumper function. One thing to note about these pop bumper bumper boards: you can adjust (via jumper blocks) the pulse duration to the coil as well as the debounce time period for the spoon switch. That makes these boards more versatile than the originals. Also includes a test switch, a five volt power indicator LED, and a coil voltage indicator LED. I used a TIP102 transistor instead of the TIP120.

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Been following along and interested! Looks like these use surface mount components. When ordered do they come with those parts already installed?

In general, yes. You still need to install connectors yourself.

#246 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

In general, yes. You still need to install connectors yourself.

And LEDs, resistors, capacitors? Any concern about being able to repair them in the future if for example a transistor or IC needs replaced?

#247 3 years ago

Some conventional resistors, an axial electrolytic capacitor, a trimpot, the LED displays and some jumper terminals still need to be installed. The surface mount IC chips, a bunch of surface mount resistors are already installed by the board maker. In general, this way the time you need to spend assembling these will be considerably quicker. The drawback is future service is more difficult because of the surface mount ICs if one should go bad. But remember, you are no longer using the high voltage to operate these displays. Only 5 volts is needed to operate them.

#248 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

But remember, you are no longer using the high voltage to operate these displays. Only 5 volts is needed to operate them.

True, but in standard displays the decoder goes bad and it only ever sees 5 volts. Still tempted..

#249 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I've got ten of those pop bumper driver boards built. Now I am waiting for parts to build the PIC programmer so I can program the PIC chip on them.
    It would be nice to install some on system 1 games to improve the pop bumper function. One thing to note about these pop bumper bumper boards: you can adjust (via jumper blocks) the pulse duration to the coil as well as the debounce time period for the spoon switch. That makes these boards more versatile than the originals. Also includes a test switch, a five volt power indicator LED, and a coil voltage indicator LED. I used a TIP102 transistor instead of the TIP120.

I've done this with regular gottlieb pbdb on system ones and it works great. I didn't know you can adjust the denounce on the pic version so I'll have to try some of these out.

#250 3 years ago

Here goes...

PXL_20210108_061203073 (resized).jpgPXL_20210108_061203073 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,373 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-lisy-a-replacement-mpu-for-gottlieb-bally-amp-stern/page/5?hl=hockeymutt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.