New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 253917)

DIY: 'LISY', a replacement MPU for Gottlieb, Bally & Stern

By bontango

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    LISY35_SMD (resized).png
    Pic137 (resized).jpg
    882E5278-A259-45A7-AECD-3D1BEC9BDC13 (resized).jpeg
    LISY an dBally; Zerocross compared (resized).png
    IMG_20200809_221913 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200807_194724 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200807_194710 (resized).jpg
    Capture2 (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    IMG_20200723_213726 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200721_152759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200617_115205 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200513_222636 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200508_225001 (resized).jpg
    29FFB850-FDC7-4603-A08F-0D56CA522AE7 (resized).jpeg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 86 days ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Has anyone here done the Bally35 with optional sound? I'm thinking of revamping a Bally Star Trek with up to date music and sound effects and might explore this route.

Any update about your Star Trek project ? The latest Lisy35 version handles internal sounds pretty well (loops, alternative sounds etc...)

#52 86 days ago
    Quoted from matiou:

Any update about your Star Trek project ? The latest Lisy35 version handles internal sounds pretty well (loops, alternative sounds etc...)

Nothing yet, tied up with various other projects at the moment.

1 week later
    #53 77 days ago

Just wanted to comment on the LISY project that I've recently completed. I bought some LISY80 boards from JLCPCB (5 of them for $30 shipped), bought enough components to build 3 boards from Digikey (about $110 total, did NOT include the Pis). Built up my first board (soldering was pretty simple) and fired it up with a Pi that I had laying around.
    It didn't work right away. Turned out the version of LISY I had downloaded didn't work well with my version of full-sized Pi, but I contacted bontango via PM, and he walked me through it. Ralf was VERY helpful and patient. I now have two LISY boards running, one in my TX Sector and one in my Black Hole. It's a great project!

I will likely look into a Bally board for a backup. Once Ralf recommended the JLCPCB option instead of Aisler.net, the price came WAY down and made it a bit of a no-brainer for me. If you've got a board that's not working and don't mind a little tinkering, I fully recommend the LISY project to keep your older games going!

Jeff

1 month later
    #54 31 days ago

I got my LISY35 SMD up and running this week. Thanks to bontango for helping me work out my issue putting the board together.

So far I’m really impressed. I can tell a lot of work has been put into this project. Next I’m going to try to make some new game code for my Stern Pinball.

I have a Mouser BOM to order parts for the LISY35 SMD. I’d be willing to share if you’re interested.

882E5278-A259-45A7-AECD-3D1BEC9BDC13 (resized).jpeg
    #55 30 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

What's missing at the moment are 'shopping lists' for Digikey and/or Mouser, here I'm looking for your support.
    Would be great if 'someone' can provide these based on my shopping list for German supplier 'Reichelt', my BOM and the Digikey shopping list for some older LISY variants.

Is this still needed?

#56 30 days ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Is this still needed?

Yes, in case you have Mouser/Digikey lists please send them to me and I will share them via lisy.dev

#57 30 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Yes, in case you have Mouser/Digikey lists please send them to me and I will share them via lisy.dev

For all boards?
    lisy1, lisy80 and lisy35?

#58 30 days ago

and LISY35 SMD
    that would be great yes

#59 29 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

I'll send you my LISY35 SMD BOM for Mouser. It includes everything except the Raspberry PI Zero since Mouser doesn't really sell them.

#60 29 days ago

lisy webpage updated https://lisy.dev/lisy35-smd.html
    many thanks

#61 28 days ago

Bontango

I want to say thanks for all the work you put into the LISY project and it is clear you have outstanding design skills. Thank you for sharing you work

I had not visited the LISY site lately until
    The most recent postings regarding updated BOM and noticed the work progressing on Sys80/80A LED displays

Is there any hope of getting an updated LED design for the SYS 80B in the future?
    I really dislike the small hard to read displays on 80B but there seems to be no alternatives

Thanks

#62 28 days ago
    Quoted from Oscope:

Is there any hope of getting an updated LED design for the SYS 80B in the future?

Maybe not this year, but next year .... Depends an demand from the people.
    From the size, do you think of that what I did for LISY_Home?
    https://lisy.dev/display-board.html
    If you go on layout you can print it out and look if it would fit to your needs.

1 week later
    #63 18 days ago

Thanks to bontango my Eight Ball Deluxe is alive and well... powered up by LISY35!

Pic137 (resized).jpg

As you can see I miss the Squawk and Talk board... but not an issue... LISY is taking care of the sound instead!

1 week later
    #64 11 days ago

Hi there, general question about the LISY80 if anyone could confirm?

I am trying to figure out if the LISY80 board will also replace the sound board? It's for a Star Race, so no voice effects etc.

I noticed that there is another Sys80 Sound board which replaces just the sound, but also a Phatsound project.

It seems like the main lisy80 replaces the regular sound, but I'm just trying to confirm so I can build and order everthing I need at once etc.

Thank you-

#65 10 days ago
    Quoted from koji:

Hi there, general question about the LISY80 if anyone could confirm?
    I am trying to figure out if the LISY80 board will also replace the sound board? It's for a Star Race, so no voice effects etc.
    I noticed that there is another Sys80 Sound board which replaces just the sound, but also a Phatsound project.
    It seems like the main lisy80 replaces the regular sound, but I'm just trying to confirm so I can build and order everthing I need at once etc.
    Thank you-

I believe there are 3 options for sound with the Lisy80.
    1. using original sounds board (this is the "external" sounds mode)
    2. using emulated sounds from pinmame (requires a sound phat board)
    3. using wav files (also requires sound phat board)

The other board he has on the page (https://lisy.dev/gosof80.html) would replace the sound board, but wouldn't be necessary if you went the phat route.

#66 10 days ago
    Quoted from Zzap:

I believe there are 3 options for sound with the Lisy80.
    1. using original sounds board (this is the "external" sounds mode)
    2. using emulated sounds from pinmame (requires a sound phat board)
    3. using wav files (also requires sound phat board)
    The other board he has on the page (https://lisy.dev/gosof80.html) would replace the sound board, but wouldn't be necessary if you went the phat route.

Awesome thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to confirm.

Thanks!

#67 9 days ago

Just sent over a few digi key bom's. However I'm really interested in this fpga version......

#68 9 days ago

Also Ralf,

Curious if you'd be interested in adding a 40pin "ide" header to the interconnect to adapt to a ni-wumpf or swemmer driver board. It adds a more reliable connection than the edge connector, however they also leave the edge connector there if you check their mpu boards out.

#69 9 days ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Just sent over a few digi key bom's. However I'm really interested in this fpga version......

Are you interested in BallyFA ? I'm planning to order some populated PCBs for it, would you be interested in 1 or 2 (min quantity to order is 5). Anyone else ?

#70 9 days ago
    Quoted from matiou:

Are you interested in BallyFA ? I'm planning to order some populated PCBs for it, would you be interested in 1 or 2 (min quantity to order is 5). Anyone else ?

I would be interested. I just tried to order the lisy35 from JLCPCB and got a very nice email back from them.

"Sorry to bother you, but there is one thing that we want to confirm with you about your SMT order before proceeding.

As shown below, the pads on the PCBs are for thru-hole components, but the components selected are SMD components, so we can't assemble them.

If continue, there will be no components assembled to the boards.

Can we cancel the order and refund to you?

On the other hand, we can not support assemble thru-hole components, yet."

Could you kindly amend the pads to SMD pads and place a new order? Is it possible?

So I am not sure what I did wrong when I ordered but at least they were nice enough to tell me that I screwed up something and wanted to cancel the order.

Please let me know on the boards.
    Mike

#71 9 days ago

I’ve currently got BallyFA running in Paragon, KISS and Flash Gordon. Pretty simple assembly, and they’re all running well. I’ve been working with Ralf on some very minor issues, but overall I’m very impressed.
    I see the GottFA is now active, too. Way to go Ralf!

Jeff

#72 9 days ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

I’ve currently got BallyFA running in Paragon, KISS and Flash Gordon.

Hi Jeff... Great! Quick question... where did you buy the SD card reader to be mounted on the BallyFA ?

#73 9 days ago

Ralf recommended this, so that’s where I went:
    ebay.com link » Micro Sd Card Shield Wireless Control For D1 Mini Esp8266 Wifi Wemos Module
    Couldn’t find the same thing anywhere else, and not for so cheap.

I bought a few, enough to match the JLC board order, since they’re so cheap. They take a little while to arrive, but no big deal.

#74 8 days ago

I was looking at getting the gottlieb fpga for a neighbors jacks to open. But a bally fpga wouldn’t be bad to have around if I get another stern, as a test board. Give me a couple days to think about it. What was the cost on a board? I can see where my hardware engineer recommends for a gerber.

#75 8 days ago
    Quoted from packie1:

I just tried to order the lisy35 from JLCPCB and got a very nice email back from them.

There are two versions of LISY35, the 'normal' DIP version https://lisy.dev/lisy35.html and the SMD version. https://lisy.dev/lisy35-smd.html
    If you want to have most of the components preassembled you need the Gerber of the SMD version.

hope that helps

Edit: the JLC previewer should show you something like this:

LISY35_SMD (resized).png
    #76 8 days ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Curious if you'd be interested in adding a 40pin "ide" header to the interconnect to adapt to a ni-wumpf or swemmer driver board.

can try, but will need schematics of the IDE header and a volunteer for testing.
    However I'm working already on a 'combi board' with driver and power supply included, but this will take some time ...

#77 8 days ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

. What was the cost on a board?

I built my BallyFAs for about $50-$60 each, overall.

#78 8 days ago

I see the GottFA is now active, too. Way to go Ralf!

I recommend waiting with ordering a week or two for next GottFA version, the diode array part is note easy to purchase so
    I will change the layout a bit so that you can use 8 standard diodes instead

#79 7 days ago

Yeah, I was looking into that a little yesterday. When I couldn’t find the diode array on digikey, I decided to stop.

#80 7 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

There are two versions of LISY35, the 'normal' DIP version https://lisy.dev/lisy35.html and the SMD version. https://lisy.dev/lisy35-smd.html
    If you want to have most of the components preassembled you need the Gerber of the SMD version.
    hope that helps
    Edit: the JLC previewer should show you something like this:[quoted image]

Is it worth it? doesn't look like enough parts on it. I really wanted to get as complete a board as possible. Otherwise should i go with the boards and mouser for the components?
    Mike

#81 7 days ago
    Quoted from packie1:

Is it worth it? doesn't look like enough parts on it. I really wanted to get as complete a board as possible. Otherwise should i go with the boards and mouser for the components?

Option 1, the LISY35 SMD version. You get all the resistors, diodes and some chips already assembled on the board you get from JLC. You still have to purchase yourself some through hole components (PIC, connectors, dip switches etc...) and solder them onto the board.
    Option 2, the regular LISY35 version. You get a bare board from JLC. You need to purchase all the components separately and solder them yourself. More work for you.

I took option 2 because option 1 was not available at the time (see my previous posts in this thread)

#82 7 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

can try, but will need schematics of the IDE header and a volunteer for testing.
    However I'm working already on a 'combi board' with driver and power supply included, but this will take some time ...

A combined board would be awesome! That interconnect really can cause some crazy issues, well all the edge connectors can, but I love the idea of moving it to one board to take way possibilities of issues.

#83 6 days ago
    Quoted from matiou:

Option 1, the LISY35 SMD version. You get all the resistors, diodes and some chips already assembled on the board you get from JLC. You still have to purchase yourself some through hole components (PIC, connectors, dip switches etc...) and solder them onto the board.
    Option 2, the regular LISY35 version. You get a bare board from JLC. You need to purchase all the components separately and solder them yourself. More work for you.
    I took option 2 because option 1 was not available at the time (see my previous posts in this thread)

I am not opposed to option 1, will there be a way to see what components I will need to order? First time doing this, I am a little confused on what is on the board and what I need to still order.
    Did you decide on doing the other board? I would be interested in getting one or two of them if you're ordering.
    Mike

#84 6 days ago
    Quoted from packie1:

will there be a way to see what components I will need to order?

You will need all parts from the Mouser List https://lisy.dev/media/files/lisy35_smd_bom_mouser.xls

#85 5 days ago

SO just to make sure I am clear on all that I need. I get the boards from JLCPCB (5 boards at $15.00 with shipping)
    Parts from Mouser for 5 boards ( all components at $153.42 plus shipping)
    5 PI zeros ( 5 zeros at $25.00 plus shipping)

Total $194.00 plus shipping

That will allow me to make 5 boards correct?
    Mike

#86 5 days ago

JLCPCB is cheap, but I’d be surprised if the LISY35 SMD totals out at $15 for 5. I bought 5 LISY80 board (no SMD) for $30 shipped and 5 BallyFA boards (with SMD) for about $60 shipped, so that part might be a little off.
    Also, I’d recommend the zero W. It’ll come in handy if you need to troubleshoot, and the LISYcontrol over your Wi-Fi is 100% worth the extra $5.

#87 5 days ago
    Quoted from packie1:

SO just to make sure I am clear on all that I need. I get the boards from JLCPCB (5 boards at $15.00 with shipping)
    Parts from Mouser for 5 boards ( all components at $153.42 plus shipping)
    5 PI zeros ( 5 zeros at $25.00 plus shipping)

Total $194.00 plus shipping

That will allow me to make 5 boards correct?

Beside the costs for the boards from JLC your calculation is correct.
    15$ is the price for the blank board without preassembled SMD parts and without shipping.
    The price for 5 preassembled boards with shipping is around 60-80$, there are different cost
    for shipping, some do include taxes, some not.

In addition to the gerber files you need to add the BOM and CPL file I do provide on lisy.dev
    Have a look at my 'howto': https://lisy.dev/media/files/jlc-how-to-order-01.pdf

Ralf

#88 2 days ago

Yeah, I was looking into that a little yesterday. When I couldn’t find the diode array on digikey, I decided to stop.

Version 1.0 is online now. https://lisy.dev/gottfa80.html
    You can use the diode array OR seperate standard diodes

pasted_image (resized).png
    #89 1 day ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Version 1.0 is online now. https://lisy.dev/gottfa80.html
    You can use the diode array OR seperate standard diodes[quoted image]

Dang, nice! I may actually look into making one for my neighbors jacks to open. If anyone runs a board for this soon let me know I’d be in for one or two. Otherwise when I get time I’ll snag it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Tx Sector Ramp Set Out of stock
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 26.50
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 7,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 999.00
    $ 9.99
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    Lighting - Interactive
    Cobra Amusements
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 9.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 395.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside