Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 523 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by Zigzagzag
  • Topic is favorited by 69 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5A4A3EE3-3352-44BD-9BA4-CF229A82088F (resized).png
    910D5E37-A305-485F-A8DD-983C3CF5E5BD (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    67440503-EA37-487A-A853-A988D87D53B5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    681CE130-5F43-4CC7-A27A-D8142767A5B9 (resized).png
    20210416_095654 (resized).jpg
    20210329_210731 (resized).jpg
    AF389830-57DA-4493-B000-BA6F794D1106 (resized).jpeg
    B17E3603-CE95-4C34-98E7-4E7C48E2665C (resized).jpeg
    F4AA4952-EB20-4756-8330-5A2DC475DC38 (resized).jpeg
    D07BFC80-C725-4229-9317-900D4A0E1C67 (resized).png

There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
    #501 6 days ago

As mentioned in the Black Hole club thread, try pressing and holding the start button for a couple/three seconds. Thats how "free play" works on LISY, I believe.

#502 6 days ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

As mentioned in the Black Hole club thread, try pressing and holding the start button for a couple/three seconds. Thats how "free play" works on LISY, I believe.

I did, no joy

#503 6 days ago

Finished my LISY35 build and flashing the PICs but running into a problem.

Successfully flashed the display PIC (got green D6 LED afterward), but when I selected the next PIC using S3 and removed the jumpers, the D2 Error LED light above the display PIC lit up.

Moved ahead and flashed the other two PICs and the red D8 LED is also on.

Rebooted out of ‘simple flasher’ setting into default setting of S1. The Pi LED comes on for 10-15 seconds every 30 seconds but the D2 and D8 red LEDs are still on.

Any suggestions? Thx
    910D5E37-A305-485F-A8DD-983C3CF5E5BD (resized).jpeg

#504 5 days ago
    Quoted from Bospins:

When it goes into attract mode, a relay fires on and off every two seconds - the gate on the upper pf moves back and forth. the coin switches and the start button don't have any effect, the dip switch is set to free play.

Just looking for some direction on where to start...I'm no stranger to pins but this is my first LISY and first System 80. Thanks in advance for any direction!!

Black Hole need to 'know' that all three balls are in the game. You may want to use 'LISY_control' or the Gottlieb switch test to check if the game does recognize the outhole ( Sw 15) and in the ball trough (SW 25) correctly.

#505 5 days ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Finished my LISY35 build and flashing the PICs but running into a problem.

Successfully flashed the display PIC (got green D6 LED afterward), but when I selected the next PIC using S3 and removed the jumpers, the D2 Error LED light above the display PIC lit up.

Moved ahead and flashed the other two PICs and the red D8 LED is also on.

Rebooted out of ‘simple flasher’ setting into default setting of S1. The Pi LED comes on for 10-15 seconds every 30 seconds but the D2 and D8 red LEDs are still on.

Any suggestions? Thx

These LED do not indicate an error but are just 'activity LEDs'. They are initially ON at boot and went OFF/ON with each command LISY is sending to this PIC. Did you also flash the 'switch PIC'? The LED near the switch PIC should also be ON at boot time and go OFF/ON with each switch activity

#506 5 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

These LED do not indicate an error but are just 'activity LEDs'. They are initially ON at boot and went OFF/ON with each command LISY is sending to this PIC. Did you also flash the 'switch PIC'? The LED near the switch PIC should also be ON at boot time and go OFF/ON with each switch activity

bontango thanks for the reply and support. I had the LED number wrong above. Here's what I have with trying to re-flash:

Display PIC flashed successfully with green D6 blinking afterward and red D2 activity light on steady.

Switch PIC flashed successfully with green D6 blinking afterward and red D8 activity light on steady.

Solenoid/Lamp PIC gave D4 error light blinking and D3 activity LED is OFF.

Edit- would you suggest swapping a different PIC from one of the other circuits to see if the solenoid/lamp PIC is the issue? I don’t have any spares.

Thx

#507 5 days ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

bontango thanks for the reply and support. I had the LED number wrong above. Here's what I have with trying to re-flash:
    Display PIC flashed successfully with green D6 blinking afterward and red D2 activity light on steady.
    Switch PIC flashed successfully with green D6 blinking afterward and red D8 activity light on steady.
    Edit- would you suggest swapping a different PIC from one of the other circuits to see if the solenoid/lamp PIC is the issue? I don’t have any spares.
    Thx

I had an issue programming one PIC and swapped it out. The other one programmed in that spot. Worth trying.

#508 5 days ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

I had the same problem programming that PIC with my 35 board. I had to use my LISY80 board to program. Put it back in my 35 and it worked fine in my Skateball.

#509 5 days ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I had an issue programming one PIC and swapped it out. The other one programmed in that spot. Worth trying.

Quoted from yfz450:

I had the same problem programming that PIC with my 35 board. I had to use my LISY80 board to program. Put it back in my 35 and it worked fine in my Skateball.

Swapped suspect Solenoid/Lamp PIC to different socket (Switches) and it does program. The original Switches PIC put into Solenoid/Lamp socket will not program and gives an error. Don't have a different way to program that Solenoid/Lamp PIC. What's next to check?

#510 5 days ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Swapped suspect Solenoid/Lamp PIC to different socket (Switches) and it does program. The original Switches PIC put into Solenoid/Lamp socket will not program and gives an error. Don't have a different way to program that Solenoid/Lamp PIC. What's next to check?

If the problem follows the PIC then it could be something odd with that. Do you have any extra PIC chips?

I just put another PIC in my board and it was fine. The PIC that I had issue with I used the LISY programmer to directly program that flaky PIC for one of the LISY testers

#511 5 days ago

If the problem follows the PIC then it could be something odd with that. Do you have any extra PIC chips?
    I just put another PIC in my board and it was fine. The PIC that I had issue with I used the LISY programmer to directly program that flaky PIC for one of the LISY testers

Sorry if I was unclear. The problem does not follow the PIC.

Cannot program either PIC in the Solenoid/Lamp socket.

So it's similar issue that yfz450 had.

#512 5 days ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Sorry if I was unclear. The problem does not follow the PIC.
    Cannot program either PIC in the Solenoid/Lamp socket.

You had a different issue than I did then.

I would triple check for solder bridges, questionable solder connections, and verify the correct value and placement of all components. Is a SIP resistor pack installed backwards? Things like that are easy to overlook.

#513 5 days ago

i would remove the flash card from your PI and put it in your computer. Find your PIC file for the SOL and rename the file to match one of the PIC files that does work, you will have to rename that file also so it dont try to use it. Then put the chip into the socket that the file was renamed to, and program.

rename: DISPLAY file to DISPLAY.old
    rename: SOL file to match DISPLAY file
    place flash card back into your PI

place IC in Display socket and program
    place newly programmed IC into SOL socket.

#514 5 days ago

You had a different issue than I did then.
    I would triple check for solder bridges, questionable solder connections, and verify the correct value and placement of all components. Is a SIP resistor pack installed backwards? Things like that are easy to overlook.

Also, this^^^^

I had the exact same issue. Maybe the solder mask for the resistor sip is wrong? I was too lazy to check the schematic and programmed it in my LISY80, but seems fine in my skateball.

#515 5 days ago

I'll triple check my work and try the programming as suggested. Thanks!

#516 4 days ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

I had the exact same issue. Maybe the solder mask for the resistor sip is wrong? I was too lazy to check the schematic and programmed it in my LISY80, but seems fine in my skateball.

What HW version do you used, latest one? With my 'old' LISY35 board flashing the solenoid PIC is working.
    Will check my schematics and see what changed ...

As a workaround you can rename the files on the SD as described OR use the webutility
    with the 'simple flasher' and flash the PIC in the display socket with the solenoid hex file.

#517 4 days ago

Yes the latest HW version, but it did flash in my 80 board with the same sd card.

#518 4 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

What HW version do you used, latest one? With my 'old' LISY35 board flashing the solenoid PIC is working.
    Will check my schematics and see what changed ...
    As a workaround you can rename the files on the SD as described OR use the webutility
    with the 'simple flasher' and flash the PIC in the display socket with the solenoid hex file.

Mine is the latest LISY35. I’ll try the renaming later today. Thank you.

5A4A3EE3-3352-44BD-9BA4-CF229A82088F (resized).png
    #519 4 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

just FYI, will try to check this weekend ...

0.2 is the latest one, I noted your suggestions and will see what I can do in 0.3

1/4W should be fine for R46, where do you see the 1/2Watt call?

Just curious if you ever had an opportunity to take a look at the Bally tester code for the lamp section? Trying to find out if something is wrong on my build or if something needed to be tweaked in the firmware. When using the lamp test there were only a handful of lamps lit compared to using a real Bally or Stern MPU.

Also, besides a timed mode that there is now having a more manual mode where the forward and back single step and turn on/off a lamp or fire a solenoid. Some may find that a useful feature.

#520 4 days ago

Figured out how to see the files, renamed and was able to get the solenoid/lamp PIC programmed.

Placed the board in my Harlem Globetrotters On Tour and it works perfectly.

Thank you for the assistance!

#521 1 day ago

I have just assembled a GottFA80 for my Genesis.
    Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to boot.

I have programmed the FPGA according to the manual - it seemed to be successfull reporting 100% and a green bar.
    I have formatted the SD-card using the SD-card image and it mounts as GOTTFA (or something similar).
    I have concatenated 4 x PROM2 + 1 x PROM1 to a single file which I have then copied to the SD-card.

Dips 1-32 are set the same as the original MPU board.
    Dips 33-40 are all off.

On start I see a flash of the red SD-card LED for 1/8 of a second.
    The red LED on the FPGA board stays on.
    Green LED is on.
    Yellow led stays off.
    The game doesn't boot and displays show either nothing or garbage.

Where should I go from here in troubleshooting ?

#522 14 hours ago

Ok, I have some reaction using a 32GB Alunx SD-card on my GottFA80.
    I have tried a 256MB Alunx, 256MB FFFAS, 32GB Sandisk - no reaction from the game.
    Using the 32GB Alunx I have the yellow led working.
    The game seems to enter some fluctuating attract mode - the playfield lamps light up but the speed goes up and down.
    No display, no sound, no reaction to start button or other buttons.

Has anybody experienced anything similar ?

Addendum : second card I assembled worked fine (same parts from Reichler and Aliexpress), so I'm assuming I have done something wrong when soldering.

#523 10 hours ago

So my Genesis with a new GottFA80 doesn't play sounds in attract mode even with dip switch 7 on.
    Sounds in game work fine.

Is this normal ?

There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside