Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by HHaase
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMGP4474.JPG
    OptimizedAndAuxExpanderAdaptor.png
    PCBLayouts.png
    216334-i.jpg
    216332-i.jpg
    216329-i.jpg
    216330-i.jpg
    216331-i.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    216333-i.jpg
    MB-07-010.jpg
    20140703_225958.jpg
    20140703_230119.jpg
    20140703_200247.jpg
    20140703_200545.jpg
    20140703_200527.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pac-Fan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 9 years ago

Hey all. Yeah, it was me that posted the thoughts on doing something as an inline-adapter in the other thread along with my prototype. I tried to find some reasonable prices for getting some fabbed, but nothing got me to my target price of $30 shipped, ready to install. (Meaning, I couldn't get the cost of goods down to less than $20 per set of boards not factoring in my time to solder everything in, take orders, ship product, payment fees to even make a tiny profit off them). If the rest of you who do this for a living can do so, more power to you, as I definitely don't have the time to spare to make the net $5 per set for the hour I would invest in each on average soldering, testing, accepting orders, packing, labelling, shipping.

The other problem was finding a "foolproof" way to have the buyer connect to the ground lead for the lamps without picking the wrong connection and blowing things up. That involved another board to interconnect through a AUX Driver board that was readily available on the back of the lamp board in the backbox of some games, but definitely not all. In which case I didn't have the time to research all of the possible permutations and along with selling my Bally game, and seeing others take this effort up, I quit exploring it.

However, oddly enough, I now have 4 OTHER early Stern/Bally pins that friends have got that are asking for the very same ability -- to put LEDs in without investing in the $100 board. So, looks like I have to hand build a few more of my prototypes or teach them how to do it and just inspect their work Or if they wait long enough, purchase it from you guys.

As I posted in the other thread, here was my prototype which worked great in a Bally Vector, and a circuit layout I started with but never completely finished. Good luck with your project!

Optimized (smallest fiberglass size) and with AuxExpander .156 passthru adaptor to get ground wire:
    OptimizedAndAuxExpanderAdaptor.pngOptimizedAndAuxExpanderAdaptor.png

Rough design with prototype pics:
    PCBLayouts.pngPCBLayouts.png
    Installed.jpgInstalled.jpg
    216331-i.jpg216331-i.jpg
    216330-i.jpg216330-i.jpg
    216329-i.jpg216329-i.jpg
    216332-i.jpg216332-i.jpg
    216334-i.jpg216334-i.jpg
    216333-i.jpg216333-i.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pac-Fan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-led-adapter-board-for-classic-bally-or-stern-1?tu=Pac-Fan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.