Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 633 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Royflipper
  • Topic is favorited by 103 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3467 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6635 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2511 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3020 (resized).jpg
    648baf4cb833a945fe2e20dd6a1c512fc9511a1c (resized).jpg
    vhd (resized).jpg
    cbrpk (resized).jpg
    sketches2 (resized).jpg
    Revolver Concept (resized).png
    sketches (resized).jpg
    Portrait_Matador_Color (resized).jpg
    SECRET-PONCHOS-MW-ensemble-1000 (resized).jpg
    b8b9df8a13f5a418b01810f7fa98a8a9c32f778f (resized).png
    plungers (resized).jpg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    Assembled board2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#615 4 years ago

I don't wanna tell anyone how to do their project, but a suggestion....check out this project:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156300.200.html

It's basically taking a typical skee-ball and gutting the electronics and replacing with a PC. Framework sounds similar to .NET but is supposedly possible on Mac and Linux as well as Windows and *should* be possible to make run on an RPi. So you get pretty graphics and a fairly easy multi-platform setup on relatively cheap hardware. You also get wifi and such which means it's very easy to do high score uploads, networked versions of the game, etc. You know, down the road.

Should be relatively simple to do the hardware using mostly things from the DIY 3D printer community.

This is the kind of project I like to follow but probably won't ever have time to monkey with. That said, my other input is simply this: ICB/ZP, while neat and somewhat collectible, also have value on the market *mostly* due to rarity. If you've ever owned one you would know the sad truth and that is that it's actually a pretty easy game to master and then get COMPLETELY bored with.

So I *personally* wouldn't bother with a clone unless you have and plan to implement ideas for making it more interesting. One would be timed modes, which would be *somewhat* more interesting for the advanced player, but I have a feeling even that would get boring after a while. In thinking about it, to me the only thing I've come up with that might make it MUCH more interesting would be adding doors that open and close to the playfield rather than just having holes. Then the difficulty level and possible paths can change dynamically (some). Just my thoughts...

Another idea is one or more fixed location "stoppers" that could be raised on the bar to divide the bar into segments. And then multiple balls end up on each segment. Combine this with some sort of network mode and multiball setup where you're trying to get a ball to a target before a player on a different machine does and that causes the OTHER player to get an additional ball to deal with (sort of like how two player Tetris sends your completed line to the other player as an incomplete line). I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Obviously you don't start implementing this game with ALL these ideas at once, but thinking about how you might extend it in the future will keep you from boxing yourself into a hole with the code quite as much, too.

--Donnie

#619 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I haven't owned Ice Cold Beer, but I wonder why it is I can keep playing a game like Ms. Pac-Man, Tapper, or Track & Field. It's the same thing every time, but I always get a rush trying to beat my high score. When we were talking about the western theme, I thought it would have been super cool to have Tapper as a video mode. We had also talked about a quick draw type game where you'd be testing your reflexes.

Trust me, it's not the same. Video games usually have *some* amount of randomness to them that makes each game at least a tad different. With ICB you get so good at home and the game is so simple that mastery of it becomes boring. You might keep one a while because you have friends that don't get to play it as much and enjoy the hell out of it, but at best all you can do is "show off" a little by being able to just sleepwalk through it. It's really just too simple after you master the control of the ball, and that mastery is just not that hard if you aren't having to plow quarters into it.

--Donnie

#621 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I wasn't doubting that. More just pointing out that we need to focus on making sure we include elements that will maintain a level of replay value. I'm not quite sure what that is exactly, but I really thing we can figure it out.

Oh, gotcha.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about, too. Software alone can help, but I really think a dynamic playfield is the best answer. Something with holes that can open and close.

--Donnie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-ice-cold-beer-type-game?tu=djb_rh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.