Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 633 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Royflipper
  • Topic is favorited by 103 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3467 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6635 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2511 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3020 (resized).jpg
    648baf4cb833a945fe2e20dd6a1c512fc9511a1c (resized).jpg
    vhd (resized).jpg
    cbrpk (resized).jpg
    sketches2 (resized).jpg
    Revolver Concept (resized).png
    sketches (resized).jpg
    Portrait_Matador_Color (resized).jpg
    SECRET-PONCHOS-MW-ensemble-1000 (resized).jpg
    b8b9df8a13f5a418b01810f7fa98a8a9c32f778f (resized).png
    plungers (resized).jpg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    Assembled board2 (resized).png
    There are 633 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

Any idea of the pulley size on the stock ICB?
    Also, a diameter measurement on both parts of the telescoping rods would be helpful. Is there an obvious bump from one rod to the other when playing or was the larger taper down slightly at end? If tapered, a DIY scenario is going to require some sanding/filing.

Quoted from XXVII:

I'll take a look when I get home. I won't be able to get a precise measurement on the rods because all I have at hand is a ruler.

Quoted from Fortytwo:

The rods don't have any taper. Just a fit between them both.

Verifying Fortytwo's statement. I just checked my machine and there's no taper. The larger of the two rods seems to be 3/8" in diameter.

The pulley wheel diameter is about 1.75". The thickness is 1cm, with an inner groove of 8mm. The center of the top pulley wheel is separated from the center of the bottom pulley wheel by 28".

The guide rail is 0.25" in diameter, and it seems to be 28" in height.

Quoted from Fortytwo:

Don't over think this. It's not a precision machine expensive linear bearings are not nessassary. A nylon chunk with a hole would be more than enough. It's not fast moving to require a bearing.

I agree. If the weight, reliability, or quality of the bearings become an issue, I recommend we go with the hole in the block method. I think the piece that connects the pulley to the telecoping rod should be 3D printed, whether in full or with screw points for these cheap bearings winteriscoming has found.

#152 7 years ago

IMG_6136_zps2427d580_(resized).jpgIMG_6136_zps2427d580_(resized).jpg

#153 7 years ago

We've talked about addressable string lights. I kind of like these LED strips. They're made to be cut and have solder pads where you could potentially cut them to mount them pretty flush with the back of the PF at all of your lit holes and then connect them back together with wire at the solder pads.
    These require 4 wires between them, and need 2 pins from the RPi (rather than 1 from some other options I guess), but claim to be fast.
    https://www.adafruit.com/products/2239
    These are pretty well reviewed and only require 3 wires between them and only 1 pin on the RPi. I think there are timing restrictions as a result, but they're cheap and if they can be made to work, that's a lot of lights for the price.

I did a little searching around for a good light solution a few days ago, and what I've been thinking is using FadeCandy from Adafruit to control the lights:
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/1689

Plugs in by USB, and it takes the 3 pin WS2812 lights from your Amazon link and any others made to that specification, including those string lights I linked earlier, and the RGB ring someone else linked. You don't need to worry about potential timing problems, because this thing can operate 8 separate strips of 64 RGB LEDs, so 512 RGB pixels. You can add more FadeCandy PCBs for even more lights, but I think 512 would already light up my entire house, haha.

#154 7 years ago

At this point I'm seeing what Le Chuck has done at BYOAC and thinking that's basically what we're aiming for:
    http://s479.photobucket.com/user/vonjett/media/Space%20Base/BackofPF1_zpsc6063ed9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8
    A part of me wants to experiment and figure this stuff out, but he's already got a solution for movement and a rod, so it might be worth waiting for him to release the info. Anyone who's a member of BYOAC care to PM and ask if he'd share info on the telescoping rod and pulleys?

BYOAC has new accounts' permissions locked down hard. I didn't have permission to private message other users, or even view their profiles. Wouldn't matter though, because he said in his response to me:

Once complete everything will go open source, the reason we aren't do releases as we go is because things are still in flux and I personally don't want to put out bad poop, have someone spend money, get ahead of me only to find out it doesn't work as advertised. Plans, parts lists, music, code, the works.

So we're not going to get that specific information from him until the new machine is done.

#155 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

The larger of the two rods seems to be 3/8" in diameter.

That's bigger than I thought it would be. The biggest at McMaster Carr is 9/32" for aluminum, which is actually kind of close and might read as 3/8" with a tape measure.

#156 7 years ago

You could detect every hole on the game using no switches. instead make a grid of beams like a IR touchscreen and then you know what hole has been entered by what pair of row/column sensors has been broken first.

Next I would not recommend using lead screws for the bar. this will give no play in the bar unless you design something into it to compensate. The original system used the rubber bands because they would give and slip on the pulley if they needed to prevent the telescopic rod from getting bent or dented by a ball wedging between a hole and the bar.

And I would not use analog sticks as the digital ones are what made the game hard.

Just my $0.03

Also didn't read page 2 or 3 so if I repeated some things sorry.

#157 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

You could detect every hole on the game using no switches. instead make a grid of beams like a IR touchscreen and then you know what hole has been entered by what pair of row/column sensors has been broken first.

A grid of detectors and emitters has been suggested a few times, but I don't think it's viable. The problem is that your emitters need to have laser-like accuracy because their beams need to travel a relatively long distance, at least 20" in each dimension, and they will probably have to be spaced out 1" or less from each other because of how clustered some of the holes are.

Quoted from Pugsley:

Next I would not recommend using lead screws for the bar. this will give no play in the bar unless you design something into it to compensate. The original system used the rubber bands because they would give and slip on the pulley if they needed to prevent the telescopic rod from getting bent or dented by a ball wedging between a hole and the bar.

That's a good point that I don't know that we considered yet (I didn't), but we've already decided to go back to the pulley method.

Quoted from Pugsley:

And I would not use analog sticks as the digital ones are what made the game hard.

Already decided on digital joysticks.

Quoted from Pugsley:

Yeah, you're going to miss some stuff that way and maybe give outdated advice.

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

» YouTube video
    Just my $0.03

I'm in the same boat. I haven't had a chance to read two pages of posts to catch up. I will though. Love the idea. I would also state the cabinet construction of the original ICB was crap material. A flat pack would be better than the original. I think the general beer references work well (sound pack). And one could get custom wraps made for playfeild or cab to suit favorite brand.

Once a plan is made many people can get into sourcing the parts decals sound packages. Would be a fun group project. I did just build a house and remember 500 her and 500 the add up. So let's not go Cadillac on every part if not needed.
    My .03. (Like the inflation)
    FortyTwo

#159 7 years ago

The game was fun and hard enough with just the 10 holes. I'm still n for two or three per level that randomly changes each time.
    So a max of 30 lights and switch.
    In respect to optos for the boards. Someone should ask Hans at Starcraft. He was saying to get pre made custom boards was pretty cheap. The smaller the better. Like a horseshoe.
    Fortytwo

#160 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

I would also state the cabinet construction of the original ICB was crap material. A flat pack would be better than the original.

This is true. I think the original cabinet is built out of particle board.

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I did a little searching around for a good light solution a few days ago, and what I've been thinking is using FadeCandy from Adafruit to control the lights:
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/1689
    Plugs in by USB, and it takes the 3 pin WS2812 lights from your Amazon link and any others made to that specification, including those string lights I linked earlier, and the RGB ring someone else linked. You don't need to worry about potential timing problems, because this thing can operate 8 separate strips of 64 RGB LEDs, so 512 RGB pixels. You can add more FadeCandy PCBs for even more lights, but I think 512 would already light up my entire house, haha.
    » YouTube video

Is there a significant advantage to using the FadeCandy over just wiring directly to the RPi? I haven't looked into it but we're going to need to agree on this so that we don't have to come up with alternate code.

Also, I'm diving in with an RPi 3. It's likely going to be overpowered for this application, but I'm not seeing earlier versions on Amazon for cheaper and from what I can tell the RPi Zero doesn't seem like it will be as convenient (and never available at the advertised price), but we may very well end up with code that's portable to either, especially if lights and switches are done over USB. I'll add one to my order when I get something from Adafruit.

I've got that, a strip of lights, 2 servos, and 2 2-way joysticks on order, so can start to play around with code to control them, using keystrokes as inputs for holes.

I haven't landed on a suitable LCD yet, but I know cheap ones like 5" big are out there.
    Here's one with a touch screen and HDMI input for $30:
    https://www.amazon.com/Elecrow-Display-Monitor-800x480-Raspberry/dp/B013JECYF2/ref=sr_1_1

Here's a $20 with no touch screen and composite input:
    https://www.amazon.com/ePathChina%C2%AE-TFT-LCD-Digital-Monitor-Display/dp/B00CZ85YVU/ref=sr_1_1
    I don't think we want a touch screen, though.

#162 7 years ago

A little late to the party, but I had an idea about the holes for the vertical playfield. To make them more visually interesting, you could drill the holes a bit larger then stick a plastic tube in the hole (that would accomidate the ball), sand the end of the tube to make it frosted, then light it with LEDs.

Do that with multiple holes, and you could indicate variable targets and also put on some light shows.

#163 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A little late to the party, but I had an idea about the holes for the vertical playfield. To make them more visually interesting, you could drill the holes a bit larger then stick a plastic tube in the hole (that would accomidate the ball), sand the end of the tube to make it frosted, then light it with LEDs.
    Do that with multiple holes, and you could indicate variable targets and also put on some light shows.

Yeah, that's in the plans.

Quoted from XXVII:

I was thinking the outlines of the holes could be illuminated as rings rather than a bulb in the back of the hole. On the Taito machine, the holes, especially Hole 1 is kind of hard to see lit up because the bulb is behind the hole and far enough back to allow the ball to pass between it and the playfield. It's a little confusing for new, tall players at first because they have no idea what their goal is supposed to be.
    I'd like to see every hole, not just the targets, lightable as rings with RGB LEDs. That would give you the opportunity to do things like animate a path across the playfield to the next goal, for instance. With my X-Men example, you could easily make Wolverine claw slices across the playfield, or draw an X across the whole thing, etc.
    The way it could be done is to press the LED against a ring (tube, really) made of thick white, slightly translucent plastic. The plastic ring would act as a diffuser to spread the LED light throughout itself.

#164 7 years ago

Is there a significant advantage to using the FadeCandy over just wiring directly to the RPi? I haven't looked into it but we're going to need to agree on this so that we don't have to come up with alternate code.

I've only had a cursory look at FadeCandy, so I can't speak with any sort of authority on its merits over anything else. I don't know that it's necessarily the best option available, but I do think we need some sort of interface board like this with a supporting Python library for light management vs. wiring LEDs directly into the RPi. Maybe not necessary for vanilla ICB builds with only 10 holes to light in a single color, but games like ours that would light every hole in RGB are probably going to need it, especially for complex light shows. ICB has 83 holes; FadeCandy could easily support an RGB LED on all of them.

FadeCandy simplifies the process of interacting with a large number of RGB LEDs. It also has some integrated processing features that automatically enhance the colors (temporal dithering for color correction and depth) and it has a lot of code examples for how to operate it. FadeCandy is also compatible with the Mission Pinball Framework, in case we decide we are going to program our game using that system (if it can support that).

Also, I'm diving in with an RPi 3. It's likely going to be overpowered for this application, but I'm not seeing earlier versions on Amazon for cheaper and from what I can tell the RPi Zero doesn't seem like it will be as convenient (and never available at the advertised price), but we may very well end up with code that's portable to either, especially if lights and switches are done over USB. I'll add one to my order when I get something from Adafruit.
    I've got that, a strip of lights, 2 servos, and 2 2-way joysticks on order, so can start to play around with code to control them, using keystrokes as inputs for holes.
    I haven't landed on a suitable LCD yet, but I know cheap ones like 5" big are out there.
    Here's one with a touch screen and HDMI input for $30:
    amazon.com link »
    Here's a $20 with no touch screen and composite input:
    amazon.com link »
    I don't think we want a touch screen, though.

I haven't started thinking about displays much yet. I was almost thinking maybe we should start the vanilla code with a segmented LED display, but realized that would probably be more expensive than using one of these touch screens and just emulating the look of segmented LEDs. I wouldn't worry if the screen has touch interface built-in, we simply won't connect it and pretend the functionality is not there. I was thinking for my game that I would use an automobile rearview mirror with an ultra widescreen LCD built-in, which would be closer to the ratio of a pinball DMD.

#165 7 years ago

I'm in for one!

#166 7 years ago

I just had a brain storm concerning the lit holes and using plexi tubes to conduct light.
    One could make the tubes longer, maybe a half inch. Then drill two holes in the tail across from each other. We could then glue in or push in the LED shape ir opto set. The style sega used in their trough. Either a tight fit or a dab of glue will hold it.
    A jig could be made for a mill or drill press to bore the holes correctly.
    Even a third hole on top for the LED.

Then we glue them into the board, sand the who,e thing, apply vynal overlay that could slightly cover the gap lines like key lines.

#167 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

I just had a brain storm concerning the lit holes and using plexi tubes to conduct light.
    One could make the tubes longer, maybe a half inch. Then drill two holes in the tail across from each other. We could then glue in or push in the LED shape ir opto set. The style sega used in their trough. Either a tight fit or a dab of glue will hold it.
    A jig could be made for a mill or drill press to bore the holes correctly.
    Even a third hole on top for the LED.
    Then we glue them into the board, sand the who,e thing, apply vynal overlay that could slightly cover the gap lines like key lines.

I'm on board with something like that. Then you can avoid PCB manufacturing altogether and just solder to the leads on the components. The benefit is that the extended pipe would also provide protection for the components from the ball falling from a hole above.

What are the holes sizes we're aiming for? I want to check out what options there are for clear pipe/tubes. We'd just have to stick to whatever sizes we can acquire.

Here's impact-resistant polycarbonate tubing:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-polycarbonate-hollow-tubing/=13h89jk

#168 7 years ago

So the standards we need to nail down are:
    Controls sticks - Digital
    Switch input - HID standard USB keyboard input (IPAC, hack a keyboard, anything else as long as it reads as keystrokes over USB)
    Addressable RGB LED standard - the kind with 3 wires
    RGB LED controller - FadeCandy
    Display - LCD via HDMI or Composite
    Motors - Continuous Servos

These would directly impact the way it needs to be coded, so I'm trying to exclude things that wouldn't. For example, the code doesn't care how we sense a ball (IR transmitter, switch, other) as long as it reads as a digital input. Also, as long as they used servos and it resulted in the rod moving the same direction as we code for in a pulley setup, someone could come up with their own linear motion setup without pulleys (rack and pinion for example).

Any other standards that would impact code?

#169 7 years ago

What are the holes sizes we're aiming for? I want to check out what options there are for clear pipe/tubes. We'd just have to stick to whatever sizes we can acquire.

I'm in the process of mapping out the coordinates of the holes on my cabinet, but they are all one of three sizes: target holes have diameters of 3/4", the rest of the holes have diameters of either 1" or 1 1/8". These measurements would be the inner diameters of the tubes we buy so that we don't change the gameplay.

#170 7 years ago

So the standards we need to nail down are:
    Display - LCD via HDMI or Composite

I'd recommend connecting by HDMI. It will be a little more expensive for the monitor, but I think to connect composite on RPi requires a separate dongle, so that narrows the price difference a little bit. Aside from that HDMI is going to allow using the maximum clarity and full resolution of the LCD panel.

These would directly impact the way it needs to be coded, so I'm trying to exclude things that wouldn't. For example, the code doesn't care how we sense a ball (IR transmitter, switch, other) as long as it reads as a digital input.

I think the IR detectors' output is analog. I don't think we'd be able to connect them to an I-PAC.

#171 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I think the IR detectors' output is analog. I don't think we'd be able to connect them to an I-PAC.

This IR detector is digital, unlike the Sparkfun model. https://www.adafruit.com/products/2167

#172 7 years ago

why a RPi? this game is simple enough that an arduino should be able to do it unless you want to do fancy animations or something on a big display?

#173 7 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

why a RPi? this game is simple enough that an arduino should be able to do it unless you want to do fancy animations or something on a big display?

Yeah, fancy animations and stuff is why. I already own an Ice Cold Beer, so just a replication of the existing game is of little interest to me. I want light shows and sound effects and video screens, and Arduino won't cut it for all that. RPi might be overkill for just an ICB replica, but the base code being written for that rather than Arduino means that winteriscoming and I won't have to rewrite everything again for RPi when we go to build our custom features. Might as well start with what we already know we're going to use.

#174 7 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

Yes, I don't want any limitations for future expansion. I'm personally not setting out to re-create Ice Cold Beer. I want to expand on the concept as much as possible, while hopefully increasing enjoyment.

I want easy to use USB interfaces, easy LCD interface, easy Python script (end user can pop the SD card into their laptop and edit the text or edit it directly on the RPi without needing any IDEs or drivers for their computer), and overall ease of expansion.

For the best RPi, we're talking $40. For a game build like this, that's not much added to the final cost over an arduino and I'd argue will be easier for most non-technical people to wire up and get going.

Quoted from XXVII:

I'd recommend connecting by HDMI. It will be a little more expensive for the monitor, but I think to connect composite on RPi requires a separate dongle, so that narrows the price difference a little bit. Aside from that HDMI is going to allow using the maximum clarity and full resolution of the LCD panel.

I don't know that the video output standard will impact code much, if at all. If we plan for hi-res, I think it will be able to scale down accordingly. Composite on the RPI 3 comes out of the 3.5mm jack and does require an adapter cable, but HDMI is going to require an HDMI cable, so that might be a wash cost-wise. I can't say with certainty at this point, but I don't think that's going to have a great impact, so I think yo can go with what works for you.

#175 7 years ago

if you are going to go with an rpi because you want fancy video you should definitely go HDMI, 1080p vs 480i should be a no brainer

#176 7 years ago

Another idea for sensing balls would be to set up a grid of IR transmitter/receivers behind the playfield.

Quoted from XXVII:

A grid of detectors and emitters has been suggested a few times, but I don't think it's viable.

P^3 uses an approach like this, and has very good accuracy, I believe.

BTW, creating custom circuit boards is not as hard or has expensive as you may think.

#177 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

BTW, creating custom circuit boards is not as hard or has expensive as you may think.

Any recommendations on manufacturer and software to build the PCB? I assume we could get by with 1 layer, and I could do some prototype testing by cutting PCBs on my CNC machine.

Something we'll need to keep in mind is that we want a one size fits all solution, so if we're designing a PCB to go around a hole, it needs to accomodate the largest hole size and still work for the smallest. Ideally it wouldn't restrict hole placement too much so that 2 holes with sensors could still be pretty close to each other.

#178 7 years ago

Any recommendations on manufacturer and software to build the PCB? I assume we could get by with 1 layer, and I could do some prototype testing by cutting PCBs on my CNC machine.
    Something we'll need to keep in mind is that we want a one size fits all solution, so if we're designing a PCB to go around a hole, it needs to accomodate the largest hole size and still work for the smallest. Ideally it wouldn't restrict hole placement too much so that 2 holes with sensors could still be pretty close to each other.

And the pcb if your going through the trouble should also hold the light.

I know the clear tube is a cool idea but what about a foil or reflective paint on the hole and a bright led shooting down from the top.
    Would make assembly and cost easier. Of course blinking would help to see it.

Second displays are cheap for RPI plus there are a lot of resources for them. I'm game for that as controller. Where will the display go? In the playfeild like the original? I say in the flat pack leave a small hole and let the user source and cut to fit what they can get avalible.

It would be behind the glass so a touch would be pointless. Unless its users for service mode and tests.

#179 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

And the pcb if your going through the trouble should also hold the light.

That has the potential to be a little more complicated depending on the lights you use. The LED strip I ordered has each LED as essentially its own tiny PCB with solder pads, so through hole soldering isn't going to work to mount them to the PCB. It might require a hole in the custom PCB the size of the LED's PCB and you'd just bridge the solder pads. However designing around this specific LED would basically dictate that everyone has to use this kind. It might just be easier to keep the LED separate since it already has solder pads.

#180 7 years ago

For those who subscribe to Prime for the quick shipping, I noticed you can source FadeCandy on Amazon with Prime shipping for a few dollars more than the one on Adafruit.
    https://www.adafruit.com/products/1689

Trying to keep the number of vendors and shipping costs down, I think we might be able to order most parts from Amazon and McMaster Carr. Mouser or Digikey (my preference) might come into play once we figure out ball sensor components.

Both McMaster Carr and Digikey are super quick to ship orders in my experience, though both are kind of daunting sites where you really have to know how to find what you're looking for.

#181 7 years ago

Any recommendations on manufacturer and software to build the PCB?

I used pcbway.com for the manufacturing. A few of the home-brew guys have used them. They turned it around in a couple of days. Shipping was about half the total cost. The price per board drops significantly the more you make. I don't think there is much, if any, price difference between 1 and 2 layer boards.

There are lots of software choices, especially if you are using windows, I use a Mac, and ended up using osmondpcb which is free. Did not take long to figure out the software and the only issue I ran into was having a missing 'mechanical' layer, the first time I sent the files to pcbway.com. I did have a more knowledgeable friend look it over and advise me on best practices for routing the traces.

The whole process was easier than I expected. Fortunately I got the design right on the first try. A few things I would tweak, but nothing that made the boards not usable. I'll be posting more info on the RGB LED boards I created in my casino home-brew thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/casino/) sometime in the next week, when I start to mount them on the playfield.

#182 7 years ago

That has the potential to be a little more complicated depending on the lights you use. The LED strip I ordered has each LED as essentially its own tiny PCB with solder pads, so through hole soldering isn't going to work to mount them to the PCB.

You can get the addressable RGB LEDs in through hole style

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12986

#183 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I'm in the process of mapping out the coordinates of the holes on my cabinet, but they are all one of three sizes: target holes have diameters of 3/4", the rest of the holes have diameters of either 1" or 1 1/8". These measurements would be the inner diameters of the tubes we buy so that we don't change the gameplay.

Hmm... a PCB that works for 1 1/8" is going to be kind of large around a 3/4" hole, so much so that it would potentially impede the placement of other holes near a 3/4" hole.

Hole_PCB_scale_(resized).jpgHole_PCB_scale_(resized).jpg

#185 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

You can get the addressable RGB LEDs in through hole style
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12986

Neither of those are very cost effective to be worth designing around. Sure if we decided on a low number of lit holes, but I think XXVII and I are hoping that even if we don't have them as targets, each hole will be lit, so they can be incorporated into light shows, such as animating a path to the target, etc.

This strip gets you 150 LEDs with incorporated PCBs with solder pads for less than $30 shipped (about 20 cents each).
    https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-WS2812B-Individually-Addressable-Waterproof/dp/B00ZHB9M6A/ref=sr_1_1

#187 7 years ago

ICB uses a 5/8" ball, right?

Here are 5/8" nylon balls that could be easily dyed with Rit Dye to match your theme:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#9613k26/=13hd37o

Pack of 10 for $6.54.

Lower weight compared to a steel ball would likely impact gameplay, but I wonder how significantly.

And 5/8" marbles could be fun (marbles were suggested earlier by XXVII):
    https://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Player-Marbles-Portable-Container/dp/B016B3E2QC/ref=sr_1_1

#188 7 years ago

Those are cool, too. At the end of the day, it would really be up to the person building it to decide how they want to approach LEDs as long as they use the same protocol. I personally am going with the cheaper bulk LEDs, with the trade-off that they're not going to be as convenient to mount. I suppose a well designed PCB could accommodate a few of the available options.

By far the easiest option would be to go with one of the off-the-shelf string (not strip) lights and plan holes around the length between the bulbs on the string, and just staple the wires to the pf such that a bulb illuminates each hole.

#189 7 years ago

For those who go with the strip LED lights, ribbon cable might be nice as the wiring to route across the pf from light to light and keep a low profile. You'd just need a strand of 3 to go from one light to the next.

This example is 40 wires wide at about 40 inches for $5.19:
    https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-Width-Colorful-Flexible-Ribbon/dp/B00BWFY6JI/ref=sr_1_5

A couple of those would probably be sufficient.

#190 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

This IR detector is digital, unlike the Sparkfun model. https://www.adafruit.com/products/2167

Digikey has a category called "Optical Sensors - Photo Detectors - Logic Output":
    http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/sensors-transducers/optical-sensors-photo-detectors-logic-output/1967050

I think this is the category we want for digital inputs.

I haven't done enough research to know if we want NPN or PNP. I'm sure those more knowledgeable are laughing at me right now. What needs to happen is while the sensor is sensing the light, it needs to give the input pin a low state. When the light beam is broken, it needs to give the input pin a high state. That way we're only getting input when a ball passes through the beam. Though I think some of that will depend on your input device... is it supposed to be sinking a pin or sourcing it? The microcontroller I want to use could be configured for either case. Any idea what an IPAC needs?

Also, as mentioned before, we want IR transmitter/receivers so that other light (like our RGB LEDs) has less potential to interfere.

#191 7 years ago

Just got caught up on the topic. Nice progress. I'm perfectly fine with the Raspberry Pi. This might be a bit dumb, but what about adding the camera module to take a picture with your high score. I also appologize because my technical skills on some of this stuff are a bit lacking. I might need to ask a lot of questions as we are proceeding. I hope that's okay.

#192 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Just got caught up on the topic. Nice progress. I'm perfectly fine with the Raspberry Pi. This might be a bit dumb, but what about adding the camera module to take a picture with your high score. I also appologize because my technical skills on some of this stuff are a bit lacking. I might need to ask a lot of questions as we are proceeding. I hope that's okay.

A camera could be fun for those who want it. I think the RPi3 has a built in camera port. I doubt it would be that difficult to implement with some additional code during the high score portion. I personally wouldn't want that feature, but I can see how others would.

I don't mind any kind of questions. We can't all start off as experts.

I may not personally be able to answer, but I can try. I know based on my previous projects that I can accomplish what we've set out to do. Whether or not I go about it the most efficient way is up for debate... I certainly wasn't aware of some of these options we've locked down as a standard for this project before starting it. I'm not an EE or expert programmer. Many who participate on this board could design and code circles around me all day.

I'm hoping to have fun learning during this process as much as I want to have a fun game as the end result.

#193 7 years ago

Yeah, looking at the Raspberry Pi 3 is what gave me the idea for the camera. It's a $15 part.

#194 7 years ago

I haven't done enough research to know if we want NPN or PNP. I'm sure those more knowledgeable are laughing at me right now. What needs to happen is while the sensor is sensing the light, it needs to give the input pin a low state. When the light beam is broken, it needs to give the input pin a high state. That way we're only getting input when a ball passes through the beam. Though I think some of that will depend on your input device... is it supposed to be sinking a pin or sourcing it? The microcontroller I want to use could be configured for either case. Any idea what an IPAC needs?
    Edit: quick google search says PNP for sourcing and NPN for sinking.

For the I-PAC, will transistors be necessary? Forgive my electronics naivety, but I figured you could plug the IR sensor's data pin into one of the I-PAC's inputs and then connect the sensor's power pin to an external 5V power source, then share the ground with the I-PAC, and it would just work without any other components (maybe a resistor).

Edit: Based on this example, it looks like my thought process wouldn't work. Bummer. https://learn.adafruit.com/ir-breakbeam-sensors

Second edit: Haha, okay I understand now. The IR sensor IS a transistor itself. I suppose for I-PAC, we would need it to operate the opposite of a microswitch. When IR is detected, the circuit should be open. When the IR is not detected, the the circuit should be closed.

#195 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

The IR sensor IS a transistor itself.

You got it!

Quoted from XXVII:

When IR is detected, the circuit should be open. When the IR is not detected, the the circuit should be closed.

Right. Though I think we need to figure out what's happening in the I-PAC, too. Either a switch is grounding (sinking) a pin that's normally high on the controller or it's putting voltage to one (sourcing) that's normally low. My guess is that it's sinking the pins since they're made for arcade cabinets and if I recall correctly switches in arcade cabinets tend to have a shared ground between them, so when you hit the switch you're grounding the pin on the arcade PCB. This is based on my limited experience wiring an arcade control panel, but I could be wrong and it should probably be verified what the I-PAC is doing with a switch. That will determine the IR sensor we need to have as our standard. I caveat all the above statements with the admission that I could be wrong about what I'm saying.

#196 7 years ago

I added up what I've paid so far and I'm already $200 into this project.

That's including:
    -150 RGB LED strip light
    -power supply for LED strip lights (might need some more?)
    -FadeCandy PCB
    -RPi3
    -Set of 3 Micro USB cables
    -2 short shaft 2-way joysticks
    -32 GB micro SD card
    -cheapo bearing blocks
    -2 servos
    -2 sets of ribbon cable
    -A set of 5 cheapo pulleys I wanted to see if I could get to work

Still need screen, USB HID keyboard interface for switches, and IR sensors/emitters, but need to figure out which ones we need first and then experiment with them before committing, and some other stuff I'm not thinking of at the moment.

#197 7 years ago

I think we need to figure out what's happening in the I-PAC, too. Either a switch is grounding (sinking) a pin that's normally high on the controller or it's putting voltage to one (sourcing) that's normally low. My guess is that it's sinking the pins since they're made for arcade cabinets and if I recall correctly switches in arcade cabinets tend to have a shared ground between them, so when you hit the switch you're grounding the pin on the arcade PCB. This is based on my limited experience wiring an arcade control panel, but I could be wrong and it should probably be verified what the I-PAC is doing with a switch. That will determine the IR sensor we need to have as our standard.

I can't make an assumption on the I-PAC, but there is a shared ground for all the pushbuttons. I assume the answer could be found with a multimeter? One probe on ground, the other on an input pin. If there is current, then it is normally LOW and when the button is pressed it becomes HIGH; if there is no current, then it is normally HIGH and when the button is pressed it becomes LOW. Is this correct? I have an I-PAC, and I believe I have a multimeter somewhere that I can dig up.

#198 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I can't make an assumption on the I-PAC, but there is a shared ground for all the pushbuttons. I assume the answer could be found with a multimeter? One probe on ground, the other on an input pin. If there is current, then it is normally LOW and when the button is pressed it becomes HIGH; if there is no current, then it is normally HIGH and when the button is pressed it becomes LOW. Is this correct? I have an I-PAC, and I believe I have a multimeter somewhere that I can dig up.

I believe if it's a shared ground you could only be sinking a pin that's normally high.

Edit: Removed potentially bad info that's not relevant to the issue we're trying to solve.

#199 7 years ago

Edit: Comment removed - potentially bad info that doesn't appear to be relevant to the issue we're trying to solve

#200 7 years ago

I'm going to take the safe path and remove any potentially bad info I might have given. It might be worth it to not to dig into NPN and PNP. Let's just figure out what works for what we need. I've gotten myself too confused figuring out the transistors and really don't think it's ending up being applicable to phototransistors.

Here's a video example explaining phototransistors:

He shows that simply by placement in the circuit you can set it in either state, either high or low when light is detected and the opposite when not detected.

Also, I'm not entirely sure we need one of the logic output receivers. Those are looking considerably more expensive and I believe you can get ones, like in the video, that have enough of a contrast between light detected and not detected state to be read as digital high and low.

In the case of the I-PAC, where normally a microswitch would be grounding the pin and putting it into a low state, I think we'd want to wire a phototransistor such that it would be high in a lit state and low in an unlit state.

There are 633 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-ice-cold-beer-type-game/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.