Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 633 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Royflipper
  • Topic is favorited by 103 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3467 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6635 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2511 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3020 (resized).jpg
    648baf4cb833a945fe2e20dd6a1c512fc9511a1c (resized).jpg
    vhd (resized).jpg
    cbrpk (resized).jpg
    sketches2 (resized).jpg
    Revolver Concept (resized).png
    sketches (resized).jpg
    Portrait_Matador_Color (resized).jpg
    SECRET-PONCHOS-MW-ensemble-1000 (resized).jpg
    b8b9df8a13f5a418b01810f7fa98a8a9c32f778f (resized).png
    plungers (resized).jpg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    Assembled board2 (resized).png
    There are 633 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
    #51 7 years ago

I created an account on BYOAC and posted in the Space Base thread asking for guidance from Le Chuck and his partners. Let's hope they see it and provide their help. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140466.msg1581811.html#msg1581811

I looked around a little bit for resources for steppers with Raspberry Pi.

I found this hat (like an Arduino shield): https://www.adafruit.com/products/2348

2348-02_(resized).jpg2348-02_(resized).jpg

Luckily, it can control two stepper motors by itself, and it has all the needed protection and stepper management circuitry built-in. There is also a Python library to simplify interacting with the steppers. According to the video, you can basically just tell it which direction to spin and at what speed. Sounds easy enough. It is designed to be stackable, so you can add another hat on top of it. That will be necessary for the errant ball solenoid. I don't know yet how to drive that. The steppers will require some external power, since the Raspberry Pi cannot provide enough on its own.

Tutorials for everything: how to assemble, wire it up, add external power, and program for it are available here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dc-and-stepper-motor-hat-for-raspberry-pi

It's compatible with these steppers: https://www.adafruit.com/products/324

324-03_(resized).jpg324-03_(resized).jpg

I'd have to assume these are strong enough to move our ICB bar, since these exact steppers are used in CNC machines like the X-Carve.

Adafruit also sells handy mounting brackets for these steppers.
    https://www.adafruit.com/products/1297

1297-00_(resized).jpg1297-00_(resized).jpg

One less piece to have to figure out how to fabricate, thanks to off-the-shelf components.

#52 7 years ago

That's the product I had come across, too, for steppers. They also sell couplers, so a threaded rod of an appropriate size (8mm or 5mm) could be attached to the motor. I see M8 and M5 threaded rods at McMaster Carr. I'm also seeing different options on rigid tubing of different diameters where it seems like it would be feasible to get one that fits inside another.

Any idea what the rod diameters are on ICB and the type of metal? I'm actually wondering if a plastic like Nylon or Derlin would work.

#53 7 years ago

I don't think anything that complicated would be needed to drive the VUK. I'd think a relatively simple circuit using an opto-isolator could be triggered by an output and power it. It would just be a matter of having enough power to drive it. The steppers are 12v, but I'm not sure if a VUK could be driven off of 12v. I guess it would depend on the coil rating. It would suck to have to use some oddball dedicated power supply just for the VUK. Otherwise a cheapish ATX power supply might suffice for everything else.

#54 7 years ago

Promising update from Le Chuck!

Hey everyone, I'm glad to see this still has some interest. It certainly isn't dead but it has been moving slowly for the last year or so. A lot of life changes for several team members that had to be sorted out before work could resume, myself included!

All that said, I will be getting back into this shortly. I'll be fabbing up a second playfield (the first is with IDS) and I'll do a step by step build up on that. I can't put a deadline on anything past that but I'll be starting the playfield in August as soon as I finish the panel I'm building for my boys.

Once complete everything will go open source, the reason we aren't do releases as we go is because things are still in flux and I personally don't want to put out bad poop, have someone spend money, get ahead of me only to find out it doesn't work as advertised. Plans, parts lists, music, code, the works.

As it stands now the only truly custom fabricated bits are on the ball the return (which is simple) and the circuit boards (which is supposedly simple for those in the know but might as well be rocket surgery for me). Everything else is off-the-shelf modded or tooled.

Regular updates to recommence soon. Thanks!

TL;DR: They were able to build nearly everything out of off-the-shelf components, and he will start a step-by-step build detailing the entire process in August.

Definitely keep an eye on the BYOAC thread.
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140466.0

#55 7 years ago

I could perhaps be persuaded to program it...

#56 7 years ago

Very cool project... I'm following it.

BTW: I have a used ICB control panel that I purchased with my ICB a zillion years ago. The one on my game is fine, and this one just sits on the shelf. Any idea of value or demand for it?

Thanks Kerry

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

That's the product I had come across, too, for steppers. They also sell couplers, so a threaded rod of an appropriate size (8mm or 5mm) could be attached to the motor. I see M8 and M5 threaded rods at McMaster Carr.

Sounds like a good solution. Hopefully we can source a rod that is the proper length and won't require any cutting.

I'm also seeing different options on rigid tubing of different diameters where it seems like it would be feasible to get one that fits inside another.
    Any idea what the rod diameters are on ICB and the type of metal? I'm actually wondering if a plastic like Nylon or Derlin would work.

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't check. I also don't have calipers so I'd have to eyeball with a measuring tape. Also, I don't know anything about metals; I don't have a clue what it's made of. Can anyone else that owns ICB chime in?

I like the idea of making the bar out of another material than metal. Colored (or white) bars open up possibilities for blacklight illumination, or simply just better integration with the builder's theme of choice.

I think we need to figure out a good solution for sensing the balls passing through the holes. Taito used switches, Le Chuck uses magnetic sensors, and I can't tell what ICE is doing. I would like to avoid magnetic detection, if possible. If you look at my Taito cabinet photos on the first page of this thread, you'll see pock marks in the playfield glass at the holes where the ball has dinged into the glass over the years. I'd like for it to be possible to opt for a ball of different material, maybe just a marble if the builder wanted. Also would provide options for theme customization.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

Sounds like a good solution. Hopefully we can source a rod that is the proper length and won't require any cutting.

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't check. I also don't have calipers so I'd have to eyeball with a measuring tape. Also, I don't know anything about metals; I don't have a clue what it's made of. Can anyone else that owns ICB chime in?
    I like the idea of making the bar out of another material than metal. Colored (or white) bars open up possibilities for blacklight illumination, or simply just better integration with the builder's theme of choice.
    I think we need to figure out a good solution for sensing the balls passing through the holes. Taito used switches, Le Chuck uses magnetic sensors, and I can't tell what ICE is doing. I would like to avoid magnetic detection, if possible. If you look at my Taito cabinet photos on the first page of this thread, you'll see pock marks in the playfield glass at the holes where the ball has dinged into the glass over the years. I'd like for it to be possible to opt for a ball of different material, maybe just a marble if the builder wanted. Also would provide options for theme customization.

I think the ICE one is using opto-sensors where the ball breaks a beam of light. That would allow for a ball of any material/weight and wouldn't be too pricey to set up. It's basically a combination an infrared LED and a photo-transistor. That's maybe a dollar in parts per hole, and would be arguably easier to get working than leaf switches.

#59 7 years ago

I'm trying to get an idea for BOM, but I keep coming up with additional parts that may end up being too customized if we go with the ICB size... like the glass. What are the dimensions of the glass? Maybe we should shoot for standard pinball glass and just size the game to accommodate?

Quoted from XXVII:

That's going to depend on how long they need to be. At least at McMaster Carr a lot of the rods come in preset lengths. Worst-case you get one longer than needed and buy a $5 small hack saw.

So far, without looking up prices, I have the followings parts in mind:
    -2 stepper motors
    -2 stepper motor mounts
    -RPi stepper motor pcb
    -Raspberry Pi
    -SD Card
    -2 threaded rods
    -2 sets of mounting hardware for threaded rods (likely involves bearings)
    -2 setups for linear motion (rods or some kind of rail for the moveable part that holds the telescoping rod to ride)
    -2 linear motion blocks (either linear bearing block or something else - this is what moves on either side and holds the telescoping rod)
    -1-2 addressable RGB string lights (depending on whether or not you want to light the holes that aren't targets)
    -X number of opto-transistors and pairing infrared LED (one per sensed hole)
    -X number of "switch" input circuits (however many needed to sense all switches/optos and communicate with RPi - there may be off the shelf type of products you could use, but I think a microcontroller solution will be much cheaper at a few dollars in parts - another option might be to hack a USB keyboard)
    -Sheet wood material for cabinet/playfield
    -parts for telescoping rod
    -VUK (for errant ball)
    -circuit to drive VUK
    -8 leaf switches (start, service - could be a small button switch, VUK, 4 limit switches, ball trough switch - could be opto-sensor)
    -front glass
    -control panel (likely made out of sheet wood)
    -control panel overlay
    -cabinet art
    -playfield art
    -front glass
    -glass art? (could relatively easily be done as decals)
    -ball
    -wire, lots of wire
    -power supply (may require multiple - maybe one each dedicated to LED string lights)
    -2 single axis analogue joysticks (analogue so you can control speed of motors)
    -2 analogue to digital circuits to use analogue joysticks with RPi

Edit: a few more
    -t-molding
    -screws
    -glue
    -staples
    -marquee?
    -general illumination lighting
    -tilt sensor assembly?

#60 7 years ago

I'm having a difficult time finding cheap single axis analogue joysticks, let alone any cheap analogue joysticks that are arcade style.

The cheapest viable option I can come up are the parts used in game controllers. They're 2-axis, so it would just be a matter of wiring into the up/down axis. One like this in a case could potentially be mounted from under the control panel. I don't know how feasible it would be to convert one of these to something more arcade-like.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MRZAUC/ref=s9_simh_gw_g147_i1_r

My desire for analogue is so that if you barely push up on the joystick, the respective motor would move slowly and increase in speed as you push the stick all the way in that direction. Using a digital joystick would mean you're either on or off with no speed control.

I'm seeing industrial analogue joysticks at Digikey, but they're super expensive. Ultimarc sells a USB analogue arcade-style joystick, but they're pricey, you'd need 2 and I'm not sure how complicated it would be to access the positional data via Python. It doesn't use potentiometers, so you can't just tap into those for a simple analogue to digital circuit.

#61 7 years ago

I'm trying to get an idea for BOM, but I keep coming up with additional parts that may end up being too customized if we go with the ICB size... like the glass. What are the dimensions of the glass? Maybe we should shoot for standard pinball glass and just size the game to accommodate?

According to Phoenix Arcade, the ICB playfield glass is 33.75"x23.5".
    http://www.phoenixarcade.com/art.htm#ICE_COLD_BEER_

#62 7 years ago

I'm having a difficult time finding cheap single axis analogue joysticks, let alone any cheap analogue joysticks that are arcade style.
    The cheapest viable option I can come up are the parts used in game controllers. They're 2-axis, so it would just be a matter of wiring into the up/down axis. One like this in a case could potentially be mounted from under the control panel. I don't know how feasible it would be to convert one of these to something more arcade-like.

I think we could design our own restrictor plate for standard-shaped arcade joysticks in CAD, then either 3D print ourselves or post on a site like Shapeways to let anyone order a print.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I think we could design our own restrictor plate for standard-shaped arcade joysticks in CAD, then either 3D print ourselves or post on a site like Shapeways to let anyone order a print.

It's not restricting the motion that I'm talking about, but actually using an arcade stick to control a potentiometer instead of leaf switches. Restricting the motion to up/down is something to consider though.

Edit: I've been looking at a standard cheap HAPP arcade stick and think it might be possible to get it to control a mounted potentiometer. This would by far be the optimal method for looks if it can be made to work easily.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

According to Phoenix Arcade, the ICB playfield glass is 33.75"x23.5".
    http://www.phoenixarcade.com/art.htm#ICE_COLD_BEER_

Hmm... I think we might do well to design around a more standard size then. I know standard pinball glass can be had relatively cheap (for what it is). At a local annual arcade expo there's a guy who sells them for $25 each or 5 for $100.

Standard body pinball glass is 21"x43", so a couple inches narrower and about 10 inches taller. The extra height would likely be good if we want more holes. The standard ICB obscures some of the horizontal space with art anyway, so our version could be designed such that the standard playfield glass is what's viewable, with a wood surround obscuring the rest of the horizontal space.

Any idea what a glass shop would charge if we went with the standard ICB size?

I guess DIY cut acrylic could be an option, too:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00520AR9C/ref=twister_dp_update

#65 7 years ago

http://ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html

Maybe not a cheap option but these are analog. $60 each.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

http://ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html
    Maybe not a cheap option but these are analog. $60 each.

Ultimarc sells a USB analogue arcade-style joystick, but they're pricey, you'd need 2 and I'm not sure how complicated it would be to access the positional data via Python. It doesn't use potentiometers, so you can't just tap into those for a simple analogue to digital circuit.

#67 7 years ago

It's not restricting the motion that I'm talking about, but actually using an arcade stick to control a potentiometer instead of leaf switches. Restricting the motion to up/down is something to consider though.
    Edit: I've been looking at a standard cheap HAPP arcade stick and think it might be possible to get it to control a mounted potentiometer. This would by far be the optimal method for looks if it can be made to work easily.

Yeah, I understood, but I think the movement definitely needs to be restricted to up and down, despite whatever input capability. Looks like there are readily available 2-way restrictor plates for Japanese joysticks. There's probably something similar for HAPP/EL as well: https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-gt-2f-2-way-restrictor-plate/

I worry that the programming complexity and especially the added cost of analog joysticks may outweigh their benefits in the end. You already get a surprising amount of refined control and smoothness even on the Taito cabinet with digital joysticks, and even more so on the ICE cab with the motors connected directly to the pulleys.

Due to the nature of controlling a ball on an inclined plane, there's a bit of "lag" and a gradient of speed as gravity pulls the ball at an increasingly faster speed toward the earth. That alone already gives you subtle speed control over the ball; the nature of needing to make more dramatic movements on the edges of the bar to influence the movement in the middle.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I worry that the programming complexity and especially the added cost of analog joysticks may outweigh their benefits in the end. You already get a surprising amount of refined control and smoothness even on the Taito cabinet with digital joysticks, and even more so on the ICE cab with the motors connected directly to the pulleys.

Ok, let's scrap the analogue idea. Certainly digital would be cheaper and easier. Analogue control may not be that useful, as you say, and I recall playing ICB and feeling like movement was pretty smooth. I suppose speed could be set in the test menu or something if you wanted to fine-tune it. It may also just be a matter of controlling it with software to give smooth motion, so that when you push up, it gradually gets up to whatever the top speed is. You could potentially control, via settings, top speed and how quickly it should get up to top speed. Variable speed could also come into play in various game modes.

#69 7 years ago

I suppose speed could be set in the test menu or something if you wanted to fine-tune it. It may also just be a matter of controlling it with software to give smooth motion, so that when you push up, it gradually gets up to whatever the top speed is. You could potentially control, via settings, top speed and how quickly it should get up to top speed. Variable speed could also come into play in various game modes.

That's a good point. I suppose some sort of acceleration could be programmed into the game, and your game mode idea sounds like it could be an interesting dynamic: to switch it to a more extreme movement speed, or alternating one side stronger than the other, etc.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

That sounds great. Any idea yet on price range for one of these units?
    Did you have to fabricate the two rods yourself for your games or were you able to make use of off-the-shelf components to assemble the telescoping rod? OLDPINGUY mentioned potentially using brass rods sold at hobby stores of slightly different diameters. Is this the method you used or were you able to find a different source?

No clue really on pricing. It will be rpi3 based as that is what the code is currently built for we have developed. Plus, lots of good libraries to get a start on joystick function etc. Mini doesn' seem to equate in mini price it seems, all the same hardware b ut smaller cab. We can laser cut our own cabs which helps. I'll post pic of one of my mockups later today I cut last night

#71 7 years ago

Hmm... I think we might do well to design around a more standard size then. I know standard pinball glass can be had relatively cheap (for what it is). At a local annual arcade expo there's a guy who sells them for $25 each or 5 for $100.
    Standard body pinball glass is 21"x43", so a couple inches narrower and about 10 inches taller. The extra height would likely be good if we want more holes. The standard ICB obscures some of the horizontal space with art anyway, so our version could be designed such that the standard playfield glass is what's viewable, with a wood surround obscuring the rest of the horizontal space.

Yeah, wood surrounding the already obscured parts will be necessary considering the thinner glass. The issue becomes the maximum length the bar is able to extend needs to be greater than the hypotenuse of a triangle made from the bar being at its lowest possible point on one side and the highest possible point on the other. If the bar is less, its two parts will just unsheathe themselves and the bar will fall apart. So the taller the playfield becomes, the wider the wood siding and obscured parts become.

#72 7 years ago

These might be a good option for 2-way joysticks. They claim to be adjustable 2/4/8 and they have some kind of adjustable restrictor plate on the bottom. I can't tell by looking how it can be set for 2-way, but if it can, these are well priced at about $11 shipped:
    ebay.com link: New Adjustable 2 4 8 Way Arcade Joystick with RED Ball Handle long shaft

#73 7 years ago

These might be a good option for 2-way joysticks. They claim to be adjustable 2/4/8 and they have some kind of adjustable restrictor plate on the bottom. I can't tell by looking how it can be set for 2-way, but if it can, these are well priced at about $11 shipped:

That's a good price, but I'd recommend short shafts so the ball top won't have to travel as far, which will feel more responsive. To change that one to 2-way, unscrew the green restrictor plate from the joystick, move it to the right, then screw it back in.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

That's a good price, but I'd recommend short shafts so the ball top won't have to travel as far, which will feel more responsive. To change that one to 2-way, unscrew the green restrictor plate from the joystick, move it to the right, then screw it back in.

Ah, there's a short shaft version. A few cents cheaper to boot! I think it will come to less than $20 shipped if you buy 2 at once.
    ebay.com link: New Adjustable 2 4 8 Way Arcade Joystick with RED Ball Handle short shaft

I love that you're thinking about things that aren't even occurring to me at the moment. If we can get a lot of pitfalls out of the way in the concept stage, then hopefully building will be easier.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I was thinking the outlines of the holes could be illuminated as rings rather than a bulb in the back of the hole. On the Taito machine, the holes, especially Hole 1 is kind of hard to see lit up because the bulb is behind the hole and far enough back to allow the ball to pass between it and the playfield. It's a little confusing for new, tall players at first because they have no idea what their goal is supposed to be.
    I'd like to see every hole, not just the targets, lightable as rings with RGB LEDs. That would give you the opportunity to do things like animate a path across the playfield to the next goal, for instance. With my X-Men example, you could easily make Wolverine claw slices across the playfield, or draw an X across the whole thing, etc.
    The way it could be done is to press the LED against a ring (tube, really) made of thick white, slightly translucent plastic. The plastic ring would act as a diffuser to spread the LED light throughout itself.

I didn't end up commenting on this idea, though I think it's great. At least those of us with CNC machines could pretty easily cut circles out of some kind of translucent plastic and they could be inlaid around each hole so that they're flush with the surface. They wouldn't have to be as deep as the playfield. A hole could be made beneath each circle where the LED could be inserted to illuminate it from behind. I'm not sure how small of bulbs you can get in the off-the-shelf addressable string lights, though. Ideally they'd be pretty small so that we could accommodate each hole getting its own ring even when they're pretty close together.

#76 7 years ago

My question is why do you need steppers for this? The only reason you need steppers is for accurate position control, and this game doesn't need that. You put a switch at the top and bottom of the throw so you know TDC and BDC. That's why the current games just have regular motors.

If you want your ramp up speed, just use PWM to drive the motors. Also, just use the cheaper leaf switch / microswitch joysticks. You are making this project way, way more complicated than it needs to be.

#77 7 years ago

Also, if you want the absolutely cheapest controller option, check out the Open Pinball Project - I'm converting an EM for less than $100 because the controllers are $4 each and can be daisy-chained for however many switches, lamps and solenoids you need.

Control everything from a RPi using USB.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507097900/open-pinball-project-open-source-pinball-hardware

https://openpinballproject.wordpress.com/

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

My question is why do you need steppers for this? The only reason you need steppers is for accurate position control, and this game doesn't need that. You put a switch at the top and bottom of the throw so you know TDC and BDC. That's why the current games just have regular motors.
    If you want your ramp up speed, just use PWM to drive the motors.

I can't speak for winteriscoming, but I know very little about electronics and motor systems. I assumed you could PWM a motor to reduce the speed, but I worried that would kill the torque, and I wanted to avoid a complicated and noisy gear situation, like the Taito cabinet. The stepper solution is relatively inexpensive, videos have shown they move how I want, the brackets we found make them easy to mount, and the Python library with included documentation and example code appear to make it as simple to control as a regular motor. That's been my logic on steppers so far.

Quoted from jwilson:

Also, just use the cheaper leaf switch / microswitch joysticks. You are making this project way, way more complicated than it needs to be.

This thread is meant to be a call to the community for ideas on how to accomplish a DIY ICB; we aren't saying that these ideas we're putting forward are the One True Way, we're just throwing them out there to see what seems reasonable and what doesn't, as demonstrated in how we already killed the analog joystick idea through discussion.

Quoted from jwilson:

Also, if you want the absolutely cheapest controller option, check out the Open Pinball Project - I'm converting an EM for less than $100 because the controllers are $4 each and can be daisy-chained for however many switches, lamps and solenoids you need.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507097900/open-pinball-project-open-source-pinball-hardware

This looks really promising. Is there any info on when they will be available outside of the Kickstarter, and a timeline for documentation for us newbies? I love the price, but this seems a little too advanced for me to not have any examples or documentation to work from.

#79 7 years ago

I didn't end up commenting on this idea, though I think it's great. At least those of us with CNC machines could pretty easily cut circles out of some kind of translucent plastic and they could be inlaid around each hole so that they're flush with the surface. They wouldn't have to be as deep as the playfield. A hole could be made beneath each circle where the LED could be inserted to illuminate it from behind. I'm not sure how small of bulbs you can get in the off-the-shelf addressable string lights, though. Ideally they'd be pretty small so that we could accommodate each hole getting its own ring even when they're pretty close together.

That sounds like a good plan. I was thinking the tubes could be 3D printed, and aside from serving as the lit ring, they could have mount points to hold the RGB LED and opto sensors in place. Just print, cover the sides with glue, and push through a hole until flush with the front, then clip in the LED and sensor.

#80 7 years ago

it would be really cool if you used WS2812 rings around the holes to animate it a bit

ex:

RGB-LED-Ring-12-x-WS2812-5050-RGB-LED-with-Integrated-Drivers-Small-Ring_(resized).jpgRGB-LED-Ring-12-x-WS2812-5050-RGB-LED-with-Integrated-Drivers-Small-Ring_(resized).jpg

they are available in all sorts of sizes and have individually addressable LEDs

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'd argue that a standard DC motor setup would be more complex to setup DIY. First you've got to figure out a mounting solution. Then how do you couple the motor to the pulley? Then how to you mount the pulleys? What do you use for a belt?

I have experience with stepper motors, so that's what I want to use. Feel free to build your own with DC motors.

As it is, for stepper motor components, including the shield/HAT for the Raspberry Pi, couplers, and mounts, I think it could be done without being too complex for about $100. Plus there's the benefit of using 5/16" threaded rod you can buy at Home Depot and a standard NEMA 17 sized stepper motor that you could easily replace down the line if needed, but I'd guess a stepper setup would require way less maintenance going forward.

#82 7 years ago

They also sell couplers, so a threaded rod of an appropriate size (8mm or 5mm) could be attached to the motor. I see M8 and M5 threaded rods at McMaster Carr.

Quoted from XXVII:

It occured to me that having a coupler to 8mm would be the way to go for easily accessible threaded rod. You can get out of metric and go with 5/16" threaded rod available at your local big box store. 5/16inch = 7.9375MM

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

That seems pretty cool, but I don't know that it ends up being that cost effective compared to some of the solutions already presented. There isn't a whole lot that needs to be controlled in an ICB type game when compared to a pinball machine. There are addressable string lights available that would eliminate the need for an extra dedicated controller board. As far as digital inputs go, I found a cheap ($5) microcontroller with about 30 inputs that can be daisy chained to add more inputs and can communicate to the RPi over I2C.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

The stepper solution is relatively inexpensive, videos have shown they move how I want, the brackets we found make them easy to mount, and the Python library with included documentation and example code appear to make it as simple to control as a regular motor.

If I'm being really honest, I don't see a reason to involve a computer in this at all - you could directly connect the power through the switches in the joysticks to drive the motors and make the Top and Bottom switches cut power, just like pop bumpers and flippers used to be even on SS machines. I suppose you need to reset the bar to the top when the game ends but that could be wired up easily as well.

I'm a big fan of not making things more complicated than they need to be - much more reliable!

You don't really need a library to drive a pin on an Arduino or RPi to activate a transistor, but then I'm looking at this from my perspective as someone who knows how this stuff works. I'd suggest looking up motor control to get a baseline understanding.

This looks really promising. Is there any info on when they will be available outside of the Kickstarter, and a timeline for documentation for us newbies?

Docs are here: https://sourceforge.net/p/open-pinball-project/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/Docs/

It's available right now. You can email the project leader and ask to get boards, which have complete BOMs all ready to order parts and full documentation online. It's still a little DIY in terms of the quality of docs but once you understand that the controller can control up to four wing boards of any type, and they're all hooked up in a daisy chain, they're really easy to build and use.

Here's a photo of me mocking up my OPP controllers and wing boards for my EM conversion:

Open Pinball Project BoardsOpen Pinball Project Boards

#85 7 years ago

I have experience with stepper motors, so that's what I want to use.

Ahh yes, all you have is a hammer so all you see are nails. Got it.

#86 7 years ago

I've been printing decals, translites, cpos, etc. for the pinball and arcade community for about 5 years. I keep this super affordable for the community to help everyone stay within budget on projects. If I can help let me know as I would be happy to offer any and all services here to keep this project as affordable as possible. I like what I'm reading!

#87 7 years ago

I have experience with stepper motors, so that's what I want to use.

Quoted from jwilson:

Consider that we're not building turnkey kits for people here. These things need to be as straightforward as possible, not just for us design and program, which is also important, but for other people to source the same parts we used and build.

Like has been said earlier, the steppers are a known entity for winteriscoming, seem reasonable to operate for a newbie like me, and are easily mountable in the threaded rod system that we're planning to build.

Quoted from jwilson:

If I'm being really honest, I don't see a reason to involve a computer in this at all

I need a computer in my project because I want to make it more of a multimedia experience than the original ICB. I want RGB LED light shows, sound effects, custom game modes, and a display of some sort. It makes sense for us to build this with a computer base so that people that just want the vanilla ICB experience can put it together with minimal soldering and circuit design, and then for the rest of us, to have a good base to build forward from.

Quoted from jwilson:

I'm looking at this from my perspective as someone who knows how this stuff works.

Right, which isn't our audience. We want an easy to purchase and assemble system from off-the-shelf electronics, not necessarily the best system, just the one normal people will be able to put together with some amount of confidence.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I need a computer in my project because I want to make it more of a multimedia experience than the original ICB.

I just meant you don't need a computer for controlling the drop bar. Obviously you'll need one for the rest of the stuff. Sorry if that was unclear.

The less parts you use, the more reliable it'll be, that's all I'm saying.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I just meant you don't need a computer for controlling the drop bar.

Actually, you still do need a computer. The game auto increments the bar upwards when either joystick hasn't been touched after a certain amount of time. It also more aggressively increments the bar up even while you're actively playing it in the second round after beating it the first time to add to the difficulty. When the ball is lost, the bar has a routine it performs to try to help dislodge it from wherever the game can't find it (lowers all the way down, raises one side all the way up, then raises the other side until the ball hits a switch). It may do other things I can't remember at the moment.

Quoted from jwilson:

The less parts you use, the more reliable it'll be, that's all I'm saying.

That's true, but again, the more limiting. winteriscoming and I have been discussing other possibilities in this thread that would benefit from the computer beyond the vanilla stuff, like spontaneously alternating joystick controls or varying the movement intensity for a game mode.

The steppers are wired directly into the HAT on the Raspberry Pi anyway. This is the simplest way for everything to be connected for us and any other inexperienced person trying to assemble their own. We don't need to worry about blowing circuits with reverse current or H-bridges or anything else. It's just plugin and go.

#90 7 years ago

That's going to depend on how long they need to be. At least at McMaster Carr a lot of the rods come in preset lengths. Worst-case you get one longer than needed and buy a $5 small hack saw.
    So far, without looking up prices, I have the followings parts in mind:
    -2 stepper motors
    -2 stepper motor mounts
    -RPi stepper motor pcb
    -Raspberry Pi
    -SD Card
    -2 threaded rods
    -2 sets of mounting hardware for threaded rods (likely involves bearings)
    -2 setups for linear motion (rods or some kind of rail for the moveable part that holds the telescoping rod to ride)
    -2 linear motion blocks (either linear bearing block or something else - this is what moves on either side and holds the telescoping rod)
    -1-2 addressable RGB string lights (depending on whether or not you want to light the holes that aren't targets)
    -X number of opto-transistors and pairing infrared LED (one per sensed hole)
    -X number of "switch" input circuits (however many needed to sense all switches/optos and communicate with RPi - there may be off the shelf type of products you could use, but I think a microcontroller solution will be much cheaper at a few dollars in parts - another option might be to hack a USB keyboard)
    -Sheet wood material for cabinet/playfield
    -parts for telescoping rod
    -VUK (for errant ball)
    -circuit to drive VUK
    -8 leaf switches (start, service - could be a small button switch, VUK, 4 limit switches, ball trough switch - could be opto-sensor)
    -front glass
    -control panel (likely made out of sheet wood)
    -control panel overlay
    -cabinet art
    -playfield art
    -front glass
    -glass art? (could relatively easily be done as decals)
    -ball
    -wire, lots of wire
    -power supply (may require multiple - maybe one each dedicated to LED string lights)
    -2 single axis analogue joysticks (analogue so you can control speed of motors)
    -2 analogue to digital circuits to use analogue joysticks with RPi
    Edit: a few more
    -t-molding
    -screws
    -glue
    -staples
    -marquee?
    -general illumination lighting
    -tilt sensor assembly?

Why not use an arduino? Cheaper and better suited for this type of project.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Why not use an arduino? Cheaper and better suited for this type of project.

It's not better suited to driving an LCD, is it? Also, I'd prefer to program in Python. I just feel like the price difference isn't substantial enough for me to give up what I know I can easily do with an RPi.

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Feel free to contribute and inform us with links to parts how a DC motor setup is better and cheaper. Or just keep posting "I know more than you" comments...

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

I've been printing decals, translites, cpos, etc. for the pinball and arcade community for about 5 years. I keep this super affordable for the community to help everyone stay within budget on projects. If I can help let me know as I would be happy to offer any and all services here to keep this project as affordable as possible. I like what I'm reading!

That sounds great. What I'd love to end up with are blank templates that people can theme up as they want, and maybe those who are more talented with graphic design could come up with some cool options for us.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Right on! Can you print straight on plexi?

#95 7 years ago

I'm kind of thinking due to the light load, (and assuming we stick to screw rod driven linear motion) we might be able to get away with cheap t-slot and t-slot bearing pads:
    ebay.com link: 80 20 Inc T Slot 10 Series Top Mount UHMW Bearing Pad w Brake Hole Long 6798 N

These bearing pads are less than $3 and would be cheap to replace when they wear out.

Here's a compatible t-slot extrusion at 48" for less than $25 shipped.
    ebay.com link: 80 20 Inc T Slot 10 Series 1 x 5 Aluminum Extrusion Part 1050 x 48 Long N

These are made by 8020 Inc. I know there are cheaper t-slots out there, I'm just not sure if they're compatible with these cheap bearings. I'll dig up some specs on the cheaper ones and try to figure that out.

There are alternatives, but I'm trying to avoid having to fabricate too many custom parts if we can easily use something already available.

#96 7 years ago

That sounds great. What I'd love to end up with are blank templates that people can theme up as they want, and maybe those who are more talented with graphic design could come up with some cool options for us.

I can certainly help with the templates and the artwork when you are ready.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBulbs:

Right on! Can you print straight on plexi?

I can print on plexi for bezels or translite material for marquees.

#98 7 years ago

I'm kind of thinking due to the light load, (and assuming we stick to screw rod driven linear motion) we might be able to get away with cheap t-slot and t-slot bearing pads:
    ebay.com link » 80 20 Inc T Slot 10 Series Top Mount Uhmw Bearing Pad W Brake Hole Long 6798 N
    These bearing pads are less than $3 and would be cheap to replace when they wear out.
    These are made by 8020 Inc. I know there are cheaper t-slots out there, I'm just not sure if they're compatible with these cheap bearings. I'll dig up some specs on the cheaper ones and try to figure that out.
    There are alternatives, but I'm trying to avoid having to fabricate too many custom parts if we can easily use something already available.

I think you forgot to link o 2nd item, curious what it looks like.

Quoted from stpcore:

I can print on plexi for bezels or translite material for marquees.

Rad! I'll be contacting you for our project

#99 7 years ago

ebay.com link » 80 20 Inc T Slot 10 Series Top Mount Uhmw Bearing Pad W Brake Hole Long 6798 N

I have to admit, this is a lot more sturdy of a solution than I was expecting. I assumed for the left and right sides of the cabinet, there would just be a stationary guide rod on the front side of the playfield running parallel to the threaded rod on the back side, and the carriage would have the threaded rod running through the ball screw actuator on the back of it and the guide rod running through a hole toward the front of it. Sort of like the existing system in the Taito cabinet, as in it would keep the guide rod as is, just replacing the pulley system with the threaded rod.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I have to admit, this is a lot more sturdy of a solution than I was expecting. I assumed for the left and right sides of the cabinet, there would just be a stationary guide rod on the front side of the playfield running parallel to the threaded rod on the back side, and the carriage would have the threaded rod running through the ball screw actuator on the back of it and the guide rod running through a hole toward the front of it. Sort of like the existing system in the Taito cabinet, as in it would keep the guide rod as is, just replacing the pulley system with the threaded rod.

You know, that would probably work and could make use of cheap aluminum or steel rod that's readily available.

There are 633 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-ice-cold-beer-type-game/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.