Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 633 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Royflipper
  • Topic is favorited by 103 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3467 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6635 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2511 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3020 (resized).jpg
    648baf4cb833a945fe2e20dd6a1c512fc9511a1c (resized).jpg
    vhd (resized).jpg
    cbrpk (resized).jpg
    sketches2 (resized).jpg
    Revolver Concept (resized).png
    sketches (resized).jpg
    Portrait_Matador_Color (resized).jpg
    SECRET-PONCHOS-MW-ensemble-1000 (resized).jpg
    b8b9df8a13f5a418b01810f7fa98a8a9c32f778f (resized).png
    plungers (resized).jpg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    Assembled board2 (resized).png
    There are 633 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.
    #601 4 years ago

I am in need of CNC Files to rebuild a ICB cabinett .... someone can help out ?!

3 months later
    #602 4 years ago

Here we go! Found this posted in the office ICB thread

Someone is making cabs

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=384191&highlight=ice

3 weeks later
    #603 4 years ago

Hello! It looks like I stumbled upon this thread a bit late, but wanted to chime in to say that this project looks really cool and I'm impressed with how it's progressing collaboratively. I'd be happy to contribute to this project in any way I can (my background is in software development, although my Python experience is limited).

I also would like to share that my team at 56k Games has been working on a PC adaptation of Ice Cold Beer, which will be released in early-access on Steam later this year. It includes recreations of Zeke's Peak and Ice Cold Beer (we've partnered with Taito to license their original IP) alongside dozens of new levels featuring several unique game mechanics. You can find more information on the "coming soon" page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093800/Zekes_Peak/

If anyone in this thread is interested in testing the game before it is released, please feel free to reach out to me directly. We're always eager for feedback, especially from folks who are already familiar with the game.

#604 4 years ago
    Quoted from Evan-56kGames:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093800/Zekes_Peak/
    If anyone in this thread is interested in testing the game before it is released, please feel free to reach out to me directly. We're always eager for feedback, especially from folks who are already familiar with the game.

Here are my three ideas. If these were included I'd be willing to pay a decent amount for your game.

1) Ability to extend the display full screen on a vertical monitor.
    2) Ability to adjust input so joysticks can be used.
    3) Ability for users to create their own levels. Provide a template and let them create and share their own challenges with the community.

#605 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Here are my three ideas. If these were included I'd be willing to pay a decent amount for your game.
    1) Ability to extend the display full screen on a vertical monitor.
    2) Ability to adjust input so joysticks can be used.
    3) Ability for users to create their own levels. Provide a template and let them create and share their own challenges with the community.

Great ideas! I really just want this to work with home built cabinets. Like how virtual pins work, need to make sure two joysticks and a few buttons can adapt in, usb encoder support or button mapping I suppose.

But that will allow people to start making cabinets with monitors, saving space and having lots of game choices!

1 week later
    #606 4 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback lpeters82 and @northvibe! Based on feedback from this community, we're prioritizing our efforts to support a full-screen vertical resolution and configurable joysticks (anything which can be connected to a PC via input-mapping). These features are already partially working, and we anticipate that they'll be fully functional on time for our early access release on October 11.

#607 4 years ago

I rec'vd my Control Panel Overlay.
    Thank You
    Kerry

2 months later
    #608 4 years ago

Is this project still progressing? Is there code available?

#609 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Is this project still progressing? Is there code available?

It has not progressed beyond what has been posted here. I believe there are links in posts here to the git repository that houses code that's available.

#610 4 years ago

This is probably the only way I’m going to end up with an icb... If there is anything I can do to help let me know. I know someone with an icb If measurements or anything are needed.

#611 4 years ago

I think I'm going to pick this up. I'm working with a friend from a design perspective and I'll pickup the coding. I'll look through the thread for the link. Hopefully it'll be a good start.

#612 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I think I'm going to pick this up. I'm working with a friend from a design perspective and I'll pickup the coding. I'll look through the thread for the link. Hopefully it'll be a good start.

I’m considering doing the same. While I have written in Python for awhile I would choose .NET as I could debug and push updates faster.

#613 4 years ago

I'd be willing to help where I can, but in this process I've mostly helped generate ideas up until this part.

#614 4 years ago

Thanks. I'm wrapping up a few projects now and will be able to seriously look into this starting in January. .Net would be nice. An Arduino does seem like the best option right now. But I can't say for sure until after I conplete the requirements stage.

#615 4 years ago

I don't wanna tell anyone how to do their project, but a suggestion....check out this project:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156300.200.html

It's basically taking a typical skee-ball and gutting the electronics and replacing with a PC. Framework sounds similar to .NET but is supposedly possible on Mac and Linux as well as Windows and *should* be possible to make run on an RPi. So you get pretty graphics and a fairly easy multi-platform setup on relatively cheap hardware. You also get wifi and such which means it's very easy to do high score uploads, networked versions of the game, etc. You know, down the road.

Should be relatively simple to do the hardware using mostly things from the DIY 3D printer community.

This is the kind of project I like to follow but probably won't ever have time to monkey with. That said, my other input is simply this: ICB/ZP, while neat and somewhat collectible, also have value on the market *mostly* due to rarity. If you've ever owned one you would know the sad truth and that is that it's actually a pretty easy game to master and then get COMPLETELY bored with.

So I *personally* wouldn't bother with a clone unless you have and plan to implement ideas for making it more interesting. One would be timed modes, which would be *somewhat* more interesting for the advanced player, but I have a feeling even that would get boring after a while. In thinking about it, to me the only thing I've come up with that might make it MUCH more interesting would be adding doors that open and close to the playfield rather than just having holes. Then the difficulty level and possible paths can change dynamically (some). Just my thoughts...

Another idea is one or more fixed location "stoppers" that could be raised on the bar to divide the bar into segments. And then multiple balls end up on each segment. Combine this with some sort of network mode and multiball setup where you're trying to get a ball to a target before a player on a different machine does and that causes the OTHER player to get an additional ball to deal with (sort of like how two player Tetris sends your completed line to the other player as an incomplete line). I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Obviously you don't start implementing this game with ALL these ideas at once, but thinking about how you might extend it in the future will keep you from boxing yourself into a hole with the code quite as much, too.

--Donnie

#616 4 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

It's basically taking a typical skee-ball and gutting the electronics and replacing with a PC.

That's a super cool concept. I love the idea of adding better code to a game like skee-ball (or Ice Cold Beer). I hope others feel the same. While I think the new game should include a "classic" mode, I hope we can go well beyond that.

Quoted from djb_rh:

If you've ever owned one you would know the sad truth and that is that it's actually a pretty easy game to master and then get COMPLETELY bored with.

I haven't owned Ice Cold Beer, but I wonder why it is I can keep playing a game like Ms. Pac-Man, Tapper, or Track & Field. It's the same thing every time, but I always get a rush trying to beat my high score. When we were talking about the western theme, I thought it would have been super cool to have Tapper as a video mode. We had also talked about a quick draw type game where you'd be testing your reflexes.

#617 4 years ago

You could always use MPF as well (http://missionpinball.org/). There are plenty of available hardware platforms including support for Raspberry PIs: http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/dev/hardware/index.html. Let me know if you have any questions.

#618 4 years ago

Anyone is welcome to reference what's there and migrate it to something else, if needed, but an entire working game can be made from what's there, at least with regards to the software and suggested hardware combinations.

My issue is lack of cabinet plans that I can cut on my CNC machine and lack of desire/time to design them on my end.

I am way into 3D printing and design now, so there are definitely applications for that in this project that are not developed.

#619 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I haven't owned Ice Cold Beer, but I wonder why it is I can keep playing a game like Ms. Pac-Man, Tapper, or Track & Field. It's the same thing every time, but I always get a rush trying to beat my high score. When we were talking about the western theme, I thought it would have been super cool to have Tapper as a video mode. We had also talked about a quick draw type game where you'd be testing your reflexes.

Trust me, it's not the same. Video games usually have *some* amount of randomness to them that makes each game at least a tad different. With ICB you get so good at home and the game is so simple that mastery of it becomes boring. You might keep one a while because you have friends that don't get to play it as much and enjoy the hell out of it, but at best all you can do is "show off" a little by being able to just sleepwalk through it. It's really just too simple after you master the control of the ball, and that mastery is just not that hard if you aren't having to plow quarters into it.

--Donnie

#620 4 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

Trust me, it's not the same. Video games usually have *some* amount of randomness to them that makes each game at least a tad different. With ICB you get so good at home and the game is so simple that mastery of it becomes boring. You might keep one a while because you have friends that don't get to play it as much and enjoy the hell out of it, but at best all you can do is "show off" a little by being able to just sleepwalk through it. It's really just too simple after you master the control of the ball, and that mastery is just not that hard if you aren't having to plow quarters into it.
    --Donnie

I wasn't doubting that. More just pointing out that we need to focus on making sure we include elements that will maintain a level of replay value. I'm not quite sure what that is exactly, but I really thing we can figure it out.

#621 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I wasn't doubting that. More just pointing out that we need to focus on making sure we include elements that will maintain a level of replay value. I'm not quite sure what that is exactly, but I really thing we can figure it out.

Oh, gotcha.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about, too. Software alone can help, but I really think a dynamic playfield is the best answer. Something with holes that can open and close.

--Donnie

#622 4 years ago

Imagine having a screen like P3 pinball near the bottom of the playfield. You could play all kinds of games where the ball is interacting with the screen. I think it would be fun to play games like Breakout, Pong, and Space Invaders. Basically combine the physical elements with the digital elements. Then again that's probably getting pretty complex.

#623 4 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

Oh, gotcha.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking about, too. Software alone can help, but I really think a dynamic playfield is the best answer. Something with holes that can open and close.
    --Donnie

I can think of a lot of software ways to add random elements to your targets and the way you move the slider. Moving holes and flaps seems significantly harder.

Maybe a fixed optical sensor for a power up of some kind?

#624 4 years ago

Glad to see this thread is getting some recent activity! Last year I followed user input from what was posted here on these forums and on other places online. I used my 3D printer for a lot of this project and there are still some parts I'd like to modify, but it works good enough to make me happy and to bring the joy of ICB to people who come to visit.

I'd be happy to provide the project files, parts lists, circuit board diagrams, images, etc to help anyone else build their own! I can also share my Python code and explain how everything functions, but there are bugs in the code that I still need to fix....

I use DC gear motors and a pulley-belt mechanism to move the rod ends up and down. The ball is detected through the holes by IR transmitter and receiver LEDs (the wiring for that took forever and many beers were drank during that tedious process, you'll notice plenty of painters tape used to hold down the wires). There's no score-keeping and there's also no sensor to detect if the ball went through a non-target hole, so it's an "honors system" game. A RaspberryPi does all the computing.

IMG_3020 (resized).jpgIMG_3020 (resized).jpgIMG_2511 (resized).jpgIMG_2511 (resized).jpgIMG_3467 (resized).jpgIMG_3467 (resized).jpgIMG_6635 (resized).jpgIMG_6635 (resized).jpg
    #625 4 years ago
    Quoted from harry-icb:

Glad to see this thread is getting some recent activity! Last year I followed user input from what was posted here on these forums and on other places online. I used my 3D printer for a lot of this project and there are still some parts I'd like to modify, but it works good enough to make me happy and to bring the joy of ICB to people who come to visit.
    I'd be happy to provide the project files, parts lists, circuit board diagrams, images, etc to help anyone else build their own! I can also share my Python code and explain how everything functions, but there are bugs in the code that I still need to fix....
    I use DC gear motors and a pulley-belt mechanism to move the rod ends up and down. The ball is detected through the holes by IR transmitter and receiver LEDs (the wiring for that took forever and many beers were drank during that tedious process, you'll notice plenty of painters tape used to hold down the wires). There's no score-keeping and there's also no sensor to detect if the ball went through a non-target hole, so it's an "honors system" game. A RaspberryPi does all the computing.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome job!

3 weeks later
    #626 4 years ago
    Quoted from harry-icb:

I use DC gear motors and a pulley-belt mechanism to move the rod ends up and down. The ball is detected through the holes by IR transmitter and receiver LEDs (the wiring for that took forever and many beers were drank during that tedious process, you'll notice plenty of painters tape used to hold down the wires). There's no score-keeping and there's also no sensor to detect if the ball went through a non-target hole, so it's an "honors system" game. A RaspberryPi does all the computing.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is incredible... Great work, harry-icb

I would love to build one of these.
    I'm a total beginner with the hardware portion, but it seems like a fun hobby project to pick up - plus, I already have a 3D printer which has been collecting dust for a couple years.

I'd be eternally grateful for any additional details you can share.

I can't explain how excited I am right now, haha.

#627 4 years ago

What do you reckon the approximate cost to build would be? Seems like a cool project!

#628 4 years ago

That's really cool! It'd be easy enough to make a "trough switch" to detect run-scoring balls right?

#629 4 years ago

gino and RonSS : All the parts were probably between $100-150....it was pretty cheap! The expensive part is all the time it takes to build and if you need to purchase any tools (3D printer, soldering iron, drill bits, etc). I can upload the 3D part design files to give you a place to start with--there are some improvements that I'd like to make to the designs but haven't gotten around to it yet. I also should have some drawings of the circuitry that I can upload along with the code.

Chalkey yeah if you are talking about detecting if the ball didn't get through the correct target-hole and ended up back at the ball-return area, there are probably a few viable options for adding something (mechanical switch, IR transmitter-receiver, etc).

#630 4 years ago

For anyone interested, I've created a Github repository for this project. I uploaded the Python code here and will add some of the hardware files later (3D designs, BOMs, circuit diagrams, etc). If anyone wants to contribute to the project you can submit a Pull Request on this Github repository and I'll incorporate your updates so others can benefit as well

https://github.com/hhelmric/IceColdBeer-FullBuild

#631 4 years ago

Thanks for the info Harry,

While I'm not certain I'll go all in on this project, it is intriguing, and I do have a friend that can do wonders with wood and building stuff, so I may make this a buddy project.

Thanks!

#632 4 years ago

I think I’m going to go for it. Although my plan is to build more of a replica using used/new/fabricated parts. First I need to come up with a playfield then I’ll get serious about it. If anyone would sell me one or even a cnc file let me know. Thanks

9 months later
    #633 3 years ago

Does somebody know how much ICB machines are produced?

Can’t find anything about it!

There are 633 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-ice-cold-beer-type-game/page/13?hl=sulakd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.