Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 633 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Royflipper
  • Topic is favorited by 103 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3467 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6635 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2511 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3020 (resized).jpg
    648baf4cb833a945fe2e20dd6a1c512fc9511a1c (resized).jpg
    vhd (resized).jpg
    cbrpk (resized).jpg
    sketches2 (resized).jpg
    Revolver Concept (resized).png
    sketches (resized).jpg
    Portrait_Matador_Color (resized).jpg
    SECRET-PONCHOS-MW-ensemble-1000 (resized).jpg
    b8b9df8a13f5a418b01810f7fa98a8a9c32f778f (resized).png
    plungers (resized).jpg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    Assembled board2 (resized).png
    There are 633 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.
    #551 7 years ago

Steam Punk is good. Winter has the mechanics goin, hes a mad man. No worries there. Other dudes are talking theme. I see no problem with that.

#552 7 years ago

Theme discussions aren't stalling anything. The theme isn't going to inform the design, at least not at first.

I'm not actively working on the design on my side at the moment. I'm in no rush and hoping XXVII gets his CNC machine up and running as he's been able to knock out designs faster than I can and he's got an ICB there to compare against.

I'd honestly be fine waiting for the Space Base plans to be released.

All said, this is a hobby project. We're not taking preorders or anything, so we're not on any kind of time line to finish. I don't see harm in spit-balling themes until all major contributors agree.

#553 7 years ago
    Quoted from Yellowdog:

The first rule of these types of projects is build something that works. Once you have a working prototype, then start getting creative.

Quoted from Yellowdog:

Once you have the basic machine flipping (dropping?) then it is time to mod it out. If you spend too much time trying to design cool add-ons you won't have anything to add them on to. Build the basic machine. Bulletproof the software. Then pick a theme and get the art.

The proof-of-concept winteriscoming made for the YouTube video is using the playfield I laid out in CAD, cut with his CNC machine, and running software that he and I wrote, on the hardware (Raspberry Pi) and electronics and mechanics (servos, pulley system) we already determined would be used in the final machine. I have already implemented the entire original Ice Cold Beer game in the code. You can play it from start to end, win extra balls, it has an attract mode and a setup menu. There's only so much more of the physical designing of the machine that I can do at a specific level before I get my CNC kit back in the mail. Right now I can't cut anything.

Quoted from Yellowdog:

I like the way the Minions guys are building their pin. They started from a working pin and started to adjust and rework it. They didn't try to create the art and the theme and then go looking for some hardware to slide under it.

I love what those guys are doing and eagerly await their updates every Friday, but trust me that they are shooting from the hip a lot more than we are. First of all, they started with the theme (as in "we're going to build a Minions pin"), then bought a WCS cabinet to gut and transform (it's not just an adjust and rework job), and started drilling out a new playfield before they wrote a single line of code.

We just made it to the stage they started at, where we are trying to figure out a fun theme. Although Ice Cold Beer is obviously simpler than a custom pinball machine, we didn't have the advantage of an existing line of specific hardware (P-ROC, etc.) and software frameworks (Mission Pinball Framework, etc.) already available to build a game like ours. So we figured that stuff out first.

What we're doing right now is not a matter of building cool toys and then just assuming that one day we'll find hardware to slide it under. We've already done a lot of work laying the foundation to determine if this project was even viable for us and now we're ready to start thinking about some of the creative aspects of the project while I wait on my CNC.

Quoted from Yellowdog:

I am afraid you are starting to go off into the weeds.

Here's the thing to consider: the only two programmers and parts designers on this project at the moment are me and winteriscoming. There have been lots of people that have shown interest in the project, but due to lacking the skill-sets or time, there hasn't been a way for a lot of people interested to help out. Thinking up themes, characters, game modes, the name of the game, neat features, and the like are easy ways to engage the rest of the people that want to see this project happen, help hype it up in people's minds, and let them valuably and meaningfully participate in the development process. There's been more post activity and thread favorites in the past week than there was in the whole month before it. Seeing people excited for the project has the added value of motivating me and winteriscoming to continue the build by proving to us it's not all for nothing and hopefully inspire some more programmers and artists to join the project.

#554 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Whitewood, then art.

Already done.
    648baf4cb833a945fe2e20dd6a1c512fc9511a1c (resized).jpg648baf4cb833a945fe2e20dd6a1c512fc9511a1c (resized).jpg

Quoted from jwilson:

Don't pull a JPOP.

How would we? We're not collecting preorders. There's nothing to buy; we're giving the designs away for free.

#555 7 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

hoping XXVII gets his CNC machine up and running

I just ordered the replacement CNC. It took a while for the company to process my return and then issue the refund. I didn't get a notification when I received the refund; a week or two ago, I just happened to see it in my credit card transaction log, but the amount was lower than I expected it to be. I reached out to the company and they realized they didn't refund one of the expensive pieces of the order, so I had to wait for another refund to come through. I just saw this evening in my transaction log that the last of the refund came in yesterday. Hopefully the new CNC gets here soon and I can get it assembled quickly.

#556 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

Already done.

How would we? We're not collecting preorders. There's nothing to buy; we're giving the designs away for free.

I may have missed it in the thread, but when the day comes for this to be a functioning machine, what would be the odds for those of us who aren't as skillfully inclined or have the tools to create from a design be able to purchase a build kit to assemble at home? I think this is fantastic and would love to have one.

#557 7 years ago
    Quoted from princea56001:

I may have missed it in the thread, but when the day comes for this to be a functioning machine, what would be the odds for those of us who aren't as skillfully inclined or have the tools to create from a design be able to purchase a build kit to assemble at home? I think this is fantastic and would love to have one.

winteriscoming had mentioned interest at one point in selling flat packs of the cut wood, and then it would be up to the buyer to source all the rest of the parts that would be used in the machine. We'd of course provide a detailed list of every component and a store link where that component can be purchased directly, but you'd be free to buy it anywhere.

This is partially the reason we've been trying to design everything with generic and off-the-shelf components as much as possible, so people would easily be able to hop on Amazon, Adafruit, McMaster-Carr, or wherever and get all the other components they need without having to wait for custom PCBs to be reprinted or anything elaborate like that.

I haven't decided whether I'd partake in selling flatpacks; I don't know yet if it'd be worth the hassle for me.

#558 7 years ago

W

Quoted from princea56001:I may have missed it in the thread, but when the day comes for this to be a functioning machine, what would be the odds for those of us who aren't as skillfully inclined or have the tools to create from a design be able to purchase a build kit to assemble at home? I think this is fantastic and would love to have one.

Quoted from XXVII:

winteriscoming had mentioned interest at one point in selling flat packs of the cut wood, and then it would be up to the buyer to source all the rest of the parts that would be used in the machine. We'd of course provide a detailed list of every component and a store link where that component can be purchased directly, but you'd be free to buy it anywhere.

I will second that I am eagerly watching and will be interested in buying a kit.

#559 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

About the gun, I'm worried about not being able to design it reinforced enough to keep it from getting broken off the cabinet if someone puts a little weight on it.

You could design it around some L brackets that are sandwiched into the layers and still do a 3 layer gun.

#560 7 years ago

You could design it around some L brackets that are sandwiched into the layers and still do a 3 layer gun.

Yeah, this has been the only thing I've been certain should be done, no matter how many layers. The problem though is if the three layers are meant to be cut 2-dimensionally, then the channel that needs to be cut for the microswitch wire will bisect the inner layer, which will compromise the integrity of the bracket.

#561 7 years ago

Found another ICB project in the works: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151861.0.html

#562 7 years ago

I hadn't played an ICB for quite some time, but I had a chance to play one this past weekend. It's a lot harder then I remember.

#563 7 years ago

I just had some PCBs manufactured this week for another project. It was a way simpler, cheaper, and quicker endeavor than I thought it would be. If we run into any aspect of this project that would even slightly benefit from a custom PCB, it might be worth seriously considering.

#564 7 years ago

I've been trolling this thread for a few months... Great looking alternative (better than original) to ICB and I'd be in for one of these when they are ready.

1 week later
    #565 7 years ago

I just had some PCBs manufactured this week for another project. It was a way simpler, cheaper, and quicker endeavor than I thought it would be. If we run into any aspect of this project that would even slightly benefit from a custom PCB, it might be worth seriously considering.

Where did you find the place to manufacture ?
    Normally I will go and find help from PCBSHOPPER.

1 week later
    #566 7 years ago

Today I came home to find that the final piece of my CNC kit was delivered. I received most of it last week, but they weren't able to send everything because they sold out of the new controller modules and I was put on the back of the order list. I have it about 70% assembled at this point, and I'm going to spend the rest of the night putting it together. I will still need to calibrate it, install a dust shoe (already ordered and delivered), purchase and attach a shopvac, and seal off a part of my basement before I can start cutting, but at least now I'm a step closer.

#567 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

Today I came home to find that the final piece of my CNC kit was delivered. I received most of it last week, but they weren't able to send everything because they sold out of the new controller modules and I was put on the back of the order list. I have it about 70% assembled at this point, and I'm going to spend the rest of the night putting it together. I will still need to calibrate it, install a dust shoe (already ordered and delivered), purchase and attach a shopvac, and seal off a part of my basement before I can start cutting, but at least now I'm a step closer.

If you have any way to vent the dust to the outside, I would highly recommend it. The fine dust is nothing to ignore in an enclosed space, and I would imagine the shop vac will just be blowing it around. If you could put the shop vac outside and have the hose coming in, that might be better.

3 weeks later
    #568 7 years ago

If you have any way to vent the dust to the outside, I would highly recommend it. The fine dust is nothing to ignore in an enclosed space, and I would imagine the shop vac will just be blowing it around. If you could put the shop vac outside and have the hose coming in, that might be better.

The more I read about this stuff, the more paranoid I become about this.

It's taken me a lot longer than it should have, but between waiting on missing parts getting shipped to me and work, life, and other distractions, I finally completed the CNC machine assembly and successfully controlled it from my computer. I'm at the stage where I can run test prints and calibrate, which is what I thought I would be doing tomorrow after work and rolling by Home Depot, but I don't think I'm prepared now.

I figured my dust boot and a shop vac would be all I'd need to mostly mitigate the dust in my work area in my basement, but it's looking like that will be laughably insufficient. I had heard that MDF had carcinogenic issues due to formaldehyde, but I wasn't aware that saw dust itself is a carcinogen. That's not going to stop me, but I obviously need to take safety into greater consideration, especially if I'm going to be in an enclosed space.

I don't think I'll be able to vent from the basement to the outside. Rather than a shop vac, I'm looking at a dust collector, specifically this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html There are ways to upgrade this unit from 5 micron filtration to 0.5 micron, and from single-stage filtration to two-stage, but I figure I can start with it stock and then upgrade as my use of the machine grows. Supposedly, dust collectors are quieter than shop vacs, but I can't find the decibel ratings for this unit.

I also plan on getting an appropriately rated personal respirator, eye protection, gloves, and sealing off the section of the basement where woodworking will be performed. I'm lucky in that the space I'm going to use is already a walled-in room from the rest of the basement, just with an opening in place of its fourth wall. I could probably just hang a tarp over the entryway and then tape the sides to the wall to seal it in for a temporary jury-rigged solution, but I'm definitely going to want a permanent solution of some sort, maybe eventually having a carpenter put a real wall and door there.

It looks like I should get an air filter like this to get rid of any dust floating in the air: https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1830-3-Speed-Hanging/dp/B008DPYSS4

#569 7 years ago

It's looking great fellas.

#570 7 years ago

I am by no means an expert in safety and probably am not set up the best way possible, either. I am set up in my garage, though. What I settled on was that HF kit and then migrated to just using the fan from it to suck dust through a sealed collector with a baffle to collect the larger bits and all the fines go right outside.

It is pretty loud, but with the garage door closed and cutting underway, I can't really hear anything from out in my driveway.

You can get decent suction over long distances with this. Is there any nearby dryer vent or window you can use? If you have gas appliances, then you'd need to concern yourself with having a makeup air source that doesn't accidentally pull from the gas system.

#571 7 years ago

I am by no means an expert in safety and probably am not set up the best way possible, either. I am set up in my garage, though. What I settled on was that HF kit and then migrated to just using the fan from it to suck dust through a sealed collector with a baffle to collect the larger bits and all the fines go right outside.
    It is pretty loud, but with the garage door closed and cutting underway, I can't really hear anything from out in my driveway.
    You can get decent suction over long distances with this. Is there any nearby dryer vent or window you can use? If you have gas appliances, then you'd need to concern yourself with having a makeup air source that doesn't accidentally pull from the gas system.

Dryer vent and window are pretty far from the room I'll be using. I was set to buy that 2HP Harbor Freight dust collector until I noticed it is 20A. I know the previous owners put a 20A line in the basement somewhere before I bought the house, but I never found out which outlet(s) it went to. I think I'm going to start with a shop vac, and if the noise is too much, I'll upgrade to either a lower amp dust collector of a different brand, or get a quieter but more expensive shop vac.

For air circulation, I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPD9BDI/
    since it was cheap and seems to do a decent enough job from the reviews. My CNC space is only 7'x10', so that should be more than powerful enough to handle the air volume.

#572 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

Dryer vent and window are pretty far from the room I'll be using. I was set to buy that 2HP Harbor Freight dust collector until I noticed it is 20A. I know the previous owners put a 20A line in the basement somewhere before I bought the house, but I never found out which outlet(s) it went to. I think I'm going to start with a shop vac, and if the noise is too much, I'll upgrade to either a lower amp dust collector of a different brand, or get a quieter but more expensive shop vac.
    For air circulation, I ordered this: amazon.com link »
    since it was cheap and seems to do a decent enough job from the reviews. My CNC space is only 7'x10', so that should be more than powerful enough to handle the air volume.

You might also consider a supplied air respirator if you're going to be in an enclosed space. You can set the pump in an uncontaminated area and get a fresh supply to your mask with positive pressure keeping dust out. You can get them with hoods, too, and keep all dust away from your face/head. I have one, but use it for avoiding chemical fumes rather than dust in the garage.

I feel comfortable enough with my dust collector that I don't wear a mask even though I still should. Admittedly I haven't cut much on my machine yet and I will probably use more protection as I use it more.

I'm still on a custom-made dust shoe and want to upgrade to a better one before cutting much more on it, but the HF fan is pretty powerful. When I cut the holes for the ICB playfield, it sucked a lot of the cores up into the hose.

1 month later
    #573 7 years ago

It's been 6 months since we started this thread. Time sure does fly.

I have to admit to having no progress to report on my side for this particular project. I've been taking on smaller scale arcade related projects as I hone my programming and CNC skills.

Also, after successfully carving a couple Christmas gifts, my dumb circa 2004 PC that's dedicated to my CNC machine is having issues powering on, so I'm not able to do much CNC-wise until I get around to repairing it.

A kind of mental roadblock/hassle in place for me is sheet goods... It's more cost effective to buy in larger sheets, but I don't have a truck anymore or any good way of hauling 4x8 sheets without renting something, which means I need to commit to a decent one-time purchase. I can pay more and go with 2x4 sheet goods, but the stores never have much of those in stock at any one time, so buying enough to build out a cab and playfield for this project isn't as feasible in a one-time purchase.

#574 7 years ago

A kind of mental roadblock/hassle in place for me is sheet goods... It's more cost effective to buy in larger sheets, but I don't have a truck anymore or any good way of hauling 4x8 sheets without renting something, which means I need to commit to a decent one-time purchase. I can pay more and go with 2x4 sheet goods, but the stores never have much of those in stock at any one time, so buying enough to build out a cab and playfield for this project isn't as feasible in a one-time purchase.

As an FYI, the home depot here will let me buy 4x8 sheets and cut them into 2x4 pieces. They claim they charge 50 cents a cut, but usually if I am just having them cut one or two sheets they don't bother charging me. The cool thing is Iget to pay the 4x8 sheet price and can easily fit it in the back of my SUV.

#575 7 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballNut:

As an FYI, the home depot here will let me buy 4x8 sheets and cut them into 2x4 pieces. They claim they charge 50 cents a cut, but usually if I am just having them cut one or two sheets they don't bother charging me. The cool thing is Iget to pay the 4x8 sheet price and can easily fit it in the back of my SUV.

That's a great suggestion. I've done that before a long time ago and forgot about it.

#576 7 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballNut:

Home Depot up here offers the same. Go during their non-busy hours and they'll rip a 4x8 down to whatever size you want for free.

#577 7 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Home Depot up here offers the same. Go during their non-busy hours and they'll rip a 4x8 down to whatever size you want for free.

Ya, up here they do it free for me too.

#578 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Ya, up here they do it free for me too.

Here too. I think the policy is three free cuts per sheet.

1 month later
    #580 7 years ago

Yes, any new news? I would still be up for purchasing a "build-your-own kit" if it ever was a possibility.

#581 7 years ago

No news from me at the moment. I still need to invest in sheet goods to build out a cabinet. I have no specific timeline in mind. I'll get to it when I get to it. In the meantime I've been working to boost my skills in circuit design, programming, and CNC milling.

1 week later
    #582 7 years ago

Subscribing because thinking of building one of these.

4 months later
    #583 6 years ago

I own a truck now, so 4x8 sheets are a possibility for me. I have so little free time these days, though. I'm not sure when I can get moving on building out a cabinet. I'll definitely post progress when there is something to report.

6 months later
    #584 6 years ago

I know this is a very old thread but was SO hopeful there was some option for a replacement pcb! I own a ICB but purchased it non working and somewhat gutted now only part im still missing 7 months later is the main PCB. So im looking forward to this project in hopes to finish off a real machine perhaps with arduino or rasberry pi. Wishful thinking?

#585 6 years ago

Everything that's been done so far is linked in this thread. There were never plans for a drop in replacement board for an existing ICB, so I'm not sure what you'd be looking at in terms of adapting it to what has been tried here.

I do believe most everything is in place to be able to build a game out of the suggested parts and have the rules match the stock game.

I personally still have this project in my to-do list. I've gotten a little better at using my CNC machine and have successfully transported and cut 4x8 sheets of plywood. So far I have only made some furniture for my toddler, but this project is on my short list whenever I finally get some free time.

#586 6 years ago

I understand that was not your plan but was hoping it could be done. GREAT stuff you have done so far thats for sure. Thanks for the reply and great to see this is still on your radar.

#587 6 years ago

Has the code for it been shared? I have a cnc machine and would like to build one at some point. I looked at buying one but the prices are getting rediculous for such a simple machine.Thanks

#588 6 years ago

Hey everyone,

After 5 hours or so I managed to sift through all the pages of this thread. Super cool and good work!

I learned about this game last Friday with some friends, and we immediately got addicted to it. Drunk, I jokingly said, "I bet the four of us could easily make a knockoff of this," and here I am!

I'm probably going to start my own work on this fairly soon once I do more investigation, so I'll keep you updated. I also should be able to help out with programming (work as a Software Engineer), but really never did much other than an intro to Python class.

Hope you guys keep up the good work!

#589 6 years ago

Anyone is welcome and encouraged to contribute.

At this point the designs for the cab need to be done. I feel like I'm going to need that in place for me to progress. I can design it eventually, but if someone else had the skills to do so and does it before me, that would be great.

I haven't seen a post from XXVII for a long time, so not sure if he's still planning to participate going forward. He has an actual ICB and provided the playfield design files I used for cutting the PF and gave measurements for other parts.

I've also now got a 3D printer and think it's going to be very useful in this project. Many of the moving parts could probably be 3D printed and be better looking than the parts I already made.

#590 6 years ago

Alot has been said in this thread, and I agree there is likely a market for "Remake".
    The question is how big a market...Commercial, and/or Home use?
    Counter Top, or full standing? and for me, One pattern, or interchangable/scrolling? or other for depth and diversity
    of background (screen or art?)

To me, the market is counter top, slightly smaller ball, multiple Hole patterns, visual background for theme as well as
    game play. (Special holes.....win a drink, Sports theme, specialty rental themes, corporate, etc

I think the market has room for US production, and a demand to support a fair and profitable price point.

#591 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Alot has been said in this thread, and I agree there is likely a market for "Remake".
    The question is how big a market...Commercial, and/or Home use?
    Counter Top, or full standing? and for me, One pattern, or interchangable/scrolling? or other for depth and diversity
    of background (screen or art?)
    To me, the market is counter top, slightly smaller ball, multiple Hole patterns, visual background for theme as well as
    game play. (Special holes.....win a drink, Sports theme, specialty rental themes, corporate, etc
    I think the market has room for US production, and a demand to support a fair and profitable price point.

Totally agree based on popularity and Iike the improvement ideas. I'd be game to buy one for sure

#592 6 years ago

I still like the "bounty hunter" theme best. I don't care if it's western, sci-fi, or steampunk. I just think it make sense that you are collecting a monetary reward for for shooting a bad guy. Bring up the wanted poster and have the reward slowly decrease the longer it takes you to hunt them down. I think it would be cool to also have a arcade / vanilla mode and story mode.

#593 6 years ago

Unfortunately, the only CNC machine I have access to is 24"x12", which isn't quite big enough for the full size. I'm wondering if I can break it up smartly and combine it after cutting the patterns?

I also agree that I think I'm shooting for countertop version. And for some reason I felt like a Firefly-esque theme would be pretty cool.

@winteriscoming, I'm not sure if I missed the link or what, but I remember you posting about getting the telescoping bar way back when. Do you have a link or remember where you found it?

#594 6 years ago

Following. Would love this type of machine whether countertop or full size.

#595 6 years ago

Man, I mean even if we could get virtuapin to make a flat pack of the cabinet, then all the insides could be our diy kit...

#596 6 years ago
    Quoted from aNethoR:

winteriscoming, I'm not sure if I missed the link or what, but I remember you posting about getting the telescoping bar way back when. Do you have a link or remember where you found it?

They were ordered from McMaster Carr. I'm pretty sure they're linked in this thread somewhere, but here's what I found in my receipt:

Edit: Direct links to their products apparently don't work.
    Part numbers are:
    7237K28
    7237K29

#597 6 years ago

I've got a 4x8 cnc router. I have a friend who owns a Ice Cold Beer so maybe I can draw it up in Vectric so that there is a decent dxf of the cab out there unless that has already been done?

#598 6 years ago
    Quoted from frankrizzo2:

I've got a 4x8 cnc router. I have a friend who owns a Ice Cold Beer so maybe I can draw it up in Vectric so that there is a decent dxf of the cab out there unless that has already been done?

Drawings are still needed if you can do it. I think I would probably redesign it to be able to break down into smaller parts (head separates from base), but drawings of an original would be a great starting point.

10 months later
    #599 5 years ago

Any news? I would really love to build one of these.

#600 5 years ago

No news from my end. If no one else is contributing at this point, I'd say consider the project on hold until there is an update. It is something I'm still interested in, but it keeps falling down the project list.

There are 633 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-ice-cold-beer-type-game/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.