Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 633 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Royflipper
  • Topic is favorited by 103 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3467 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6635 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2511 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3020 (resized).jpg
    648baf4cb833a945fe2e20dd6a1c512fc9511a1c (resized).jpg
    vhd (resized).jpg
    cbrpk (resized).jpg
    sketches2 (resized).jpg
    Revolver Concept (resized).png
    sketches (resized).jpg
    Portrait_Matador_Color (resized).jpg
    SECRET-PONCHOS-MW-ensemble-1000 (resized).jpg
    b8b9df8a13f5a418b01810f7fa98a8a9c32f778f (resized).png
    plungers (resized).jpg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    Assembled board2 (resized).png
    There are 633 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 13.
    #451 7 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'm going to try out some cheap end mills listed on Amazon. I'll report back with details if they're acceptable, but basically I'm getting 30 end mills for the price of only a couple of expensive ones.

I ordered sets of different end mills, and have so far only tried out the single flute flat nose ones. These have cut plywood, MDF and a plastic just fine. I'll likely use these for this project. If they break or don't last long, no harm since they're super cheap.

Set of 10 single flute, 1/8" shank, flat nose bits for $13 with Prime shipping:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AUYXAD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Set of 10 double flute, 1/8" shank, flat nose bits for $11.50 with Prime shipping:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C9VPE6W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

#452 7 years ago

I had been racking my brain trying to think of the best way to return the ball to the bar. This is perfect in it's simplicity.

#453 7 years ago

I'm wondering for that crowded top target hole, if there might be a way to offset its LED far enough above it so that the LED is actually mounted above to 2 top holes. I've already proven that the LEDs can be offset a little, it's just going to require further experimentation to see if it can be done further away. I have some clear acrylic on hand and can experiment with it as a carrier for the light to the edge of the hole tube. I think if I can avoid severely hacking up that hole's LED PCB, it would be ideal.

#454 7 years ago

I'm wondering for that crowded top target hole, if there might be a way to offset its LED far enough above it so that the LED is actually mounted above to 2 top holes. I've already proven that the LEDs can be offset a little, it's just going to require further experimentation to see if it can be done further away. I have some clear acrylic on hand and can experiment with it as a carrier for the light to the edge of the hole tube. I think if I can avoid severely hacking up that hole's LED PCB, it would be ideal.

I think you could just have that hole tube be longer than the rest (as in, not flush on the back side like the others) and then wrap the LED's flexible PCB around it and then tape it down. You're already going to need to squeeze the IR sensor and emitter in there as well, they could just be further away so you have more space to work with. In order to protect it a little, just mount the RGB LED on the bottom of the tube so a falling ball won't smash into it.

#455 7 years ago

I randomly came across this thread in my Google searches: http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=35454.0

It looks like we're not the only ones attempting to build an ICB style game at the moment. Competition!

#456 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I think you could just have that hole tube be longer than the rest (as in, not flush on the back side like the others) and then wrap the LED's flexible PCB around it and then tape it down. You're already going to need to squeeze the IR sensor and emitter in there as well, they could just be further away so you have more space to work with. In order to protect it a little, just mount the RGB LED on the bottom of the tube so a falling ball won't smash into it.

That's an option. I'm kind of hoping to do everything pretty well flat or recessed into the back, but that one hole is a challenge. Maybe it could get the recessed treatment I had originally experimented with, or something like it.

#457 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I randomly came across this thread in my Google searches: http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=35454.0
    It looks like we're not the only ones attempting to build an ICB style game at the moment. Competition!

Meh, looks like like they're aiming for vanilla. Did they do full cabinet and pf before figuring out the guts and moving parts?

Our project distinguishes itself in that it's being made by Pinsiders.

#458 7 years ago

Meh, looks like like they're aiming for vanilla. Did they do full cabinet and pf before figuring out the guts and moving parts?

I don't think they've cut anything yet. I skimmed the thread quickly, and through a translator, but it didn't seem to me that any of them owned a machine already and are basing all their measurements and assumptions on photos of the game and the Visual Pinball recreation. I believe the photos you see of cabs and playfields are all Le Chuck's progress shots.

Yeah, they are recreating the vanilla game. Something to note is that they are building their game with a single Arduino and segmented displays, which I'm sure is of interest to some of the watchers here vs. our RPi + lots of boards, high-level approach.

#459 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I believe the photos you see of cabs and playfields are all Le Chuck's progress shots.

Well that makes sense! I thought those pics looked kind of familiar.

#460 7 years ago

Came across a Chinese ICB clone called "Tom's Adventures": http://forum.vecchiflipper.it/flipper-forum/discussione4942-ice-cold-beer-taito-cda.html

It has pirates!

CIMG1083_(resized).JPGCIMG1083_(resized).JPG

#461 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

Came across a Chinese ICB clone called "Tom's Adventures": http://forum.vecchiflipper.it/flipper-forum/discussione4942-ice-cold-beer-taito-cda.html
    It has pirates!

That looks awesome. It's a little bit different layout, too.

#463 7 years ago

Any idea what he is selling these cabs for?

#464 7 years ago

That's cool. It looks like he might be cutting the cabinets from pre-finished melamine panels, which would probably result in an ideal surface for the outside of the cabinet. Decals could be applied easily.

#465 7 years ago

That looks awesome. It's a little bit different layout, too.

Yeah, I believe this is just the I.C.E. ICB layout, based on the top three target holes.

Wow, those are nice. I'd want one for my ICB if I wasn't planning on building a new game.

It's too bad those cut vectors aren't online somewhere, that would save me a lot of time. My progress on mapping out the cabinet has been pretty slow. I was busy for most of the weekend with other obligations and assembling my CNC. Hopefully I'll make some meaningful updates this week.

I found this ICB clone called Rock 'N Roll Verti-go. It's an LCD screen vs. a mechanical game, but it shows off some theming possibilities and ways to modernize the cabinet design:

#466 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

Yeah, I believe this is just the I.C.E. ICB layout, based on the top three target holes.

You're right. It looks like the same layout and same LED scheme as the ICE one. I didn't really pay attention to the differences in the ICE version.

Does the ICE one have the same playfield dimensions or did they go a little taller? The rods we're using would accommodate a little taller pf. However if we were to eventually deviate from the stock Taito hole placement, like for an alternative layout, it looks like we'd have more vertical space towards the bottom if we wanted to stay in the stock dimensions, and I think we should.

#467 7 years ago

Does the ICE one have the same playfield dimensions or did they go a little taller?

Back on the first page of the thread, ralphwiggum mentioned that he has the I.C.E. version of the game. Perhaps he can open his up and measure the playfield size for us. I don't know how much of a hassle it'd be, but I'd also love to see a close-up photo of a target hole's proximity sensor on the back side of its playfield.

The rods we're using would accommodate a little taller pf. However if we were to eventually deviate from the stock Taito hole placement, like for an alternative layout, it looks like we'd have more vertical space towards the bottom if we wanted to stay in the stock dimensions, and I think we should.

I had the same thought of adding holes to the big "wasted" space at the bottom of the playfield, but I after some more thinking about it, that space isn't very optimal for holes. People already tend to lean down to better see the lowest holes on the existing playfield, if they were any lower it might be pain in the rear for them. The wide open space also serves as a safe practice zone for newbies to get their bearings in trying to balance the ball. We could probably reduce the newbie zone by an inch or two to add more hole space at the top, but I think the cabinet would have to be designed to shift the playfield up by the same amount of inches to prevent people from having to lean over more. Depending on how much space you have to eat up, you have to move the LCD screen elsewhere.

About the LCD screen, I was thinking of two potential options:

The first is that the LCD can stay in the spot that it's at. In order to remedy the viewing angle problem, we could design a mount for it that would have the screen tilted back so that it's angled toward the viewer's eyes (say 45 degrees), then fill the hole in the playfield with a piece of acrylic so that a ball doesn't roll into it. That option may require a larger hole cut vertically to see the top of the LCD screen.

The other option is to move the LCD screen to the top of the playfield. Le Chuck's Space Base has the score displays relocated to the top right section of the playfield. No reason we couldn't fit a 5" screen up there too if we wanted. It doesn't necessarily need to be cut into the playfield, it can be above it (like Space Base), maybe even above the playfield glass if the cabinet we design allows for it.

FEB 8 (8) (resized).JPGFEB 8 (8) (resized).JPG

#468 7 years ago

It occurred to me that if we go with an ATX PSU, we could likely utilize a 12v solenoid for errant ball return. I had incorporated a 12v solenoid into an arcade gun for kickback and it was pretty powerful. The small ball size we're dealing with makes me think a 12v solenoid could be made to work.

The solenoids I have on hand are only the pull type, though, where the shaft only gets pulled in and there isn't a hole through the entire casing. We'd need a push type, like are used in pinball machines for kickouts and such.

It looks like there are several options on Amazon. They come in various amp and force ratings. I'm not sure what would be best for our situation, but probably a more powerful one.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1

#469 7 years ago

Is your CNC machine coming together, XXVII?

I'm still toying around with different lighting and mounting solutions, but I don't have anything worth sharing beyond what I've posted so far. I don't think I've got anything additional to contribute until we start locking down measurements and cabinet design. I don't want to venture down the wrong path and forget to accommodate some integral measurement like playfield incline angle or gap between pf and glass, etc. I'm also not too interested in fully wiring up a test pf, knowing I'd have to redo it if we change something.

I know there's still work to do on the software side, but for me I think the motivation to continue fleshing it out will come from having a game ready to run it.

#470 7 years ago

Is your CNC machine coming together, XXVII?

CNC machine's still not running yet. I've been really busy lately and hadn't had much time to put toward ICB or CNC unfortunately. I was able to sit down last night for the first time in a week or so and continue assembling the CNC, but I wasn't able to complete it. I'm probably about 80% through the build now, and after that is going to be calibration, which I'm expecting to be another huge hassle.

I'm still toying around with different lighting and mounting solutions, but I don't have anything worth sharing beyond what I've posted so far. I don't think I've got anything additional to contribute until we start locking down measurements and cabinet design. I don't want to venture down the wrong path and forget to accommodate some integral measurement like playfield incline angle or gap between pf and glass, etc. I'm also not too interested in fully wiring up a test pf, knowing I'd have to redo it if we change something.

I understand that. Sorry it's been taking so long. I think I should be less busy with work/personal life and at home more after next week, but something always seems to come up. I've also been having issues learning Fusion 360. For all of the things that are really great about it over 3D modeling packages I've used in the past (constraints!), it's not quite as intuitive as I'd like in some ways. Aside from that, I've learned it's more difficult to measure out a cabinet if you can't take it apart.

If you'd like to build a makeshift stand for your playfield at the proper incline for testing, it is tilted back 5 degrees from vertical, and the gap from the playfield to the glass is 0.75".

I know there's still work to do on the software side, but for me I think the motivation to continue fleshing it out will come from having a game ready to run it.

I agree. The software is already at the 80% solution, at least for vanilla ICB; it'd be playable if connected to the hardware. There's little reason to keep tinkering with the software until we get test cabinets built so we can refine it properly with the hardware.

What still could be done in the mean time is figuring out the complete circuit for the Arduino and the IR emitter/detector break beam pairs. Wiring up one sensor/emitter pair is straightforward since there are tutorials specifically for that, but I'd like to see a breadboard wired up with all ten pairs functioning as expected. I don't know how to calculate the resistance for all the diodes in the same circuit or if a capacitor is needed, etc.

#471 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

Sorry it's been taking so long.

No need to apologize. I'm not in a huge rush or anything. I'm amazed at how quickly things have progressed already.

Quoted from XXVII:

What still could be done in the mean time is figuring out the complete circuit for the Arduino and the IR emitter/detector break beam pairs. Wiring up one sensor/emitter pair is straightforward since there are tutorials specifically for that, but I'd like to see a breadboard wired up with all ten pairs functioning as expected. I don't know how to calculate the resistance for all the diodes in the same circuit or if a capacitor is needed, etc.

I think this will be pretty simple. Each IR LED should just get its own dedicated resistor and they'd be wired in parallel, not series, so the way that one is wired would match the way the rest of them are wired. One leg goes to ground, one leg to the resistor that it tied to 5v. The detectors are a simple matter of one leg going to an input pin on the Arduino and one leg going to ground.

I can put together a breadboard test to make sure, though.

#472 7 years ago

No need to apologize. I'm not in a huge rush or anything. I'm amazed at how quickly things have progressed already.

I think this will be pretty simple. Each IR LED should just get its own dedicated resistor and they'd be wired in parallel, not series, so the way that one is wired would match the way the rest of them are wired. One leg goes to ground, one leg to the resistor that it tied to 5v. The detectors are a simple matter of one leg going to an input pin on the Arduino and one leg going to ground.
    I can put together a breadboard test to make sure, though.

Sounds right to me.

1 week later
    #473 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

CNC machine's still not running yet. I've been really busy lately and hadn't had much time to put toward ICB or CNC unfortunately. I was able to sit down last night for the first time in a week or so and continue assembling the CNC, but I wasn't able to complete it. I'm probably about 80% through the build now, and after that is going to be calibration, which I'm expecting to be another huge hassle.

As is my typical luck with big electronics purchases, I found out earlier this week that Inventables released a new version of the X-Carve less than two weeks after I received mine, and discounted the model I bought by hundreds of dollars. I emailed them to find out what I could do about it since my machine was ordered so close to the update; I hadn't even finished assembling mine yet and it was already out of date. The options were either partial credit toward the upgrade or returning my unit for a refund. Unfortunately the partial credit wasn't high enough for me to accept (it's about half the amount that my model's been discounted by), so I decided I would be returning my machine and then ordering the new one. Instead of spending my nights in CAD recreating the Ice Cold Beer cabinet, I've been spending them taking my mostly assembled CNC machine apart and repackaging the pieces into their original bags and boxes to ship back out.

#474 7 years ago

At least they offered you the ability to return.

#475 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

At least they offered you the ability to return.

Yeah, definitely. I don't have any animosity toward Inventables; they didn't have to offer me anything but they did. It's just my bad luck on timing.

#476 7 years ago

I love drinking ice cold beers and playing games. Not DIY, but BYOB please.

1 week later
    #477 7 years ago

I don't have anything to offer yet, but I just happened across this website. Someone else has already started building an Ice Cold Beer clone months before us! I haven't had a chance to go through their site yet, so I don't know how far along they are. This could be a great resource for us:

http://www.everythingmaker.co/project-goal-zekes-peak-arcade-knockoff/

Edit: Just took a good read of the site. I was a little too excited and should have read before I posted. He's still in the preliminary stages, but he's done some cool things already. He's doing a mine shaft theme and is going to use physical gauges and maybe nixie tubes for score display. Sounds awesome!

#478 7 years ago

Another suggestion would be to use a Current Mirror instead of a resistor. I use current mirrors for most of my LED projects because it allows me to control the current thru each LED from one node. Very likely overkill for this situation; but it may help with some of the overheating problems seen with WPC ball trough and opto resistors.

#479 7 years ago

That's pretty cool. I really like the gold mine theme too; you're bringing gold out of the mine on a mine cart. That seems to mimic the ball on the rod. The ball could probably be gold, which would add to the theme. The longer it takes the more gold falls out of the cart. A bit of a stretch, but it could work. Your goal is to collect as much gold as possible. During normal gameplay your target hole is flashing yellow. There could be random callouts of "Fire in the hole!" then have a red/orange flash in one of the non-target holes along with an explosion. I really like the whole wild west theme that goes along with this, think: crazy prospectors, outlaws, shootouts, saloons, poker, rattlesnakes, runaway mine cars, cave-ins, gold strike, dynamite, "Fire in the hole!", "There's gold in them-there hills.", "Eheheheh!", "Rootin'-Tootin'", etc.

Then there is always this western trope:

MODE EXAMPLES

Standard Gameplay:
    For added variety, I still like the idea of having different paths for the basic game. In this case those could be different gold mines. Perhaps each mine has it's own bonus game mode. I'm thinking something like Shaker's Cavern (Cave In); Gamblers Gulch (Poker); and El Dorado (Gold Strike). These paths would play basically like the original ICB. The most notable exception being that after X targets completed there would be a bonus mode. Of course those seeking a more traditional experience could turn off the bonus modes.

Cave In:
    A survival mode where a random holes starts flashing red once per X seconds. These represent cave ins. You can repair them by putting a ball into the flashing hole. If there are ever X cave ins at any one time the entire mine collapses, with a cascading light show, ending the mode. Perhaps have the mine become increasingly unstable by slowly increasing the rate of the cave ins.

Poker (Video Mode):
    I kind of like the idea of being able to gamble with your gold. Perhaps there could be a video mode that's simply jacks or better draw poker. Having this programmed into the game, could allow users to play it as a standard poker machine, an added bonus.

Gold Strike:
    All target holes flash yellow. Collect as many as possible in X seconds. Make one and the hole illuminates solid and X seconds are added to the countdown. Targets could be assigned a value of gold, somewhat randomly. For example, the easiest targets would be randomly assigned 100, 100, 50, 50, 0; the middle difficulty targets would be assigned 150, 150, 100, 100, 50; and the most difficult targets would be assigned: 500 (Jackpot!), 250, 200, and 150. This would add a slight element of luck which might be appropriate for a gold strike, although perhaps the jackpot award should always be in the most difficult target.

Practice Mode:
    Choose any target hole and try to improve your high score. Tracking a high score for each target is an improvement over the original ICB that will add replay value.

#480 7 years ago

You're really good at fleshing out the themes and conjuring up game modes!

I have to admit that aside from general busy-ness and the disappointment of having to disassemble and return my CNC machine, I've been pretty demotivated on the slow, grueling process to CAD the ICB cabinet. It's been a pretty frustrating experience, to be honest, because I still don't quite understand how to use Fusion 360 very well and spend too much time fighting the program or Googling around to figure out how to overcome strange obstacles that I face. I end up spending multiple evenings to produce simple pieces that I know I'd be able to recreate in my normal 3D modeling tool in an hour or so. It's annoying to have a skill in a sort of similar kind of tool and not have it translate to that other tool.

At the back of my mind as I sit at my computer or stand at the ICB cabinet with a ruler is that there's very little ROI for the amount of work I'm spending collecting measurements. Sure, if the CAD was complete then people would be able to reproduce Ice Cold Beer cabinets for their original games, but that's not my end goal for this effort, and a lot of the measurements are unnecessary or would need to be heavily altered for our new game since we're changing the internals, like not using the vacuum-molded backer and having a different PCB mounting configuration.

I suppose my problem is now I'm seeing this huge CAD recreation effort as an obstacle to progress on other things that could be done instead, like designing a new cabinet for our game. I think it would be easier for us to create a new one from scratch than for me to accurately measure out the existing one.

cabcad (resized).jpgcabcad (resized).jpg

cabback (resized).pngcabback (resized).png

cpmount (resized).pngcpmount (resized).png

#481 7 years ago

Unfortunately that's going to be my best way of contributing because when it comes to the programming, I'm going to be pretty useless. I'm decent at building, but to be perfectly honest you guys are more perfectionists. I'm more of a measure once, cut twice type of guy. For this I'll probably just take a monkey see, monkey do approach. I also do understand that some of my ideas; like the video poker mode might be too hard to program, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

#482 7 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

I think it would be easier for us to create a new one from scratch than for me to accurately measure out the existing one.

I'm perfectly fine with that. Did we agree earlier to try and make it so that the head is separate from the base? We'll be pretty different from stock at that point. Really the important things are going to be getting a good incline angle, ensuring glass is parallel to the playfield at a specific distance, and ensuring the head fits the playfield and glass.

Then it can just be a matter of referencing the stock cabinet to see how they did something and see if we can roughly use the same concept.

For example, it's not entirely clear to me what's holding the glass in. Is it the control panel and something at the top, but nothing holds the sides?

Quoted from XXVII:

disappointment of having to disassemble and return my CNC machine

Sorry to hear about that. Was something wrong with it? If it's for personal reasons, no need to share.

#483 7 years ago

I woudl 100% suggest making a new cabinent. The original and tatio ICB versions are a complete waste of space. Too tall, too deep, and just plain too much. It is wasted resource and cost, plus added wasted time to recreate.

Make it better I say.

There is no reason you cant make the entire thing as a wall mount unit to take up way less space and material.

Keep in mid the original was purpose built to stand out and bring in people. Teh world has changed and as I understand it you are building for your own home and cuold likely cut 50% of the size when redesigning.

#484 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Unfortunately that's going to be my best way of contributing because when it comes to the programming, I'm going to be pretty useless.

That's plenty, I assure you. Programming help is nice, but it's important to also have people that can think up fun new ways to play the game.

Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm decent at building, but to be perfectly honest you guys are more perfectionists. I'm more of a measure once, cut twice type of guy. For this I'll probably just take a monkey see, monkey do approach.

Yeah, I'm getting this way after burning myself out on these measurements, haha.

Quoted from lpeters82:

I also do understand that some of my ideas; like the video poker mode might be too hard to program, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

Yeah, might as well. If an idea seems really fun, maybe we'll be inclined to put in the extra effort to try to make it happen. Or maybe something that seems like it would be hard to program actually isn't.

#485 7 years ago

Did we agree earlier to try and make it so that the head is separate from the base? We'll be pretty different from stock at that point.

Yeah, I don't think either of us have a choice but to separate the top and bottom due to the sizes of our CNC machines. I looked back and saw that Le Chuck also cut his cabinet in two pieces because his CNC bed wasn't big enough either. In the end he covered the seam with laminate so you don't even know it was there.

Really the important things are going to be getting a good incline angle, ensuring glass is parallel to the playfield at a specific distance, and ensuring the head fits the playfield and glass.

This will be easy: the incline is 5 degrees. The glass is made parallel to the playfield by two 0.75"x0.75"x38ish" pieces of wood resting against the playfield, one on the left and one on the right.

For example, it's not entirely clear to me what's holding the glass in. Is it the control panel and something at the top, but nothing holds the sides?

This is another example of the cleverness of the original game makers. There is nothing holding the sides of the glass. It's secured in place by the top and bottom. It's not apparent, but in the second image on my CAD post (#480) you can see the glass in place (it's the darker gray part). The glass is only supported on the bottom from the left and right edges. The third image shows the key components to holding the glass in place.

The bottom image shows a piece that I call the control panel mount. This piece has the clips screwed into it that are used the hold the control panel into place from the underside. There is a notch in the top left of the image that is 0.25" wide and rotated 5 degrees. The bottom of the glass (which is 3/16" thick) rests in there. The rest of the glass is supported along its sides by the two 0.75"x0.75"x38ish" pieces of wood, which are also inclined to 5 degrees. This way they provide the necessary support to the glass and keep it parallel to the playfield spaced by exactly 0.75". These two pieces of wood are also lined with some sort of thin padding to protect the glass from the wood. The back edge of the control panel is cut at a 5 degree angle to act as a continuation of that 0.25" gap from the control panel mount notch.

I didn't render the top of the cabinet so you're not seeing how it secures at the top. The cabinet's "ceiling" panel has a 24.5"x0.75"x0.75" piece of wood screwed into it. It is positioned just so that the playfield glass cannot tip forward. This is sufficient to keep the glass in place without moving.

Another important feature to point out on the control panel mount is the grove to the right of the 0.25" notch in the top left of the bottom image. I'll explain why shortly.

To remove the glass from the cabinet, remove the control panel, then push up from the bottom of the glass and then pull the bottom of it toward you. The space at the very top behind the glass is empty to allow the glass to pivot for this action. Next, set the glass into the groove I pointed out in the previous paragraph. This will lower the glass enough to reveal its top edge. Now you can grab the glass by the top and bottom to move it somewhere away from the cabinet.

To place the glass into the cabinet, set the glass into the groove on the control panel mounts, then lean it against the playfield (really, against the two 0.75"x0.75"x38ish" pieces of wood). Now push the glass up from the bottom edge and make it flush against the playfield, then lower it into the 0.25" notch in the control panel mounts.

The explanation might have been overly elaborate, but if you can visualize it, it's pretty simple. I'll take some photos when I go home to show the notch and groove in action.

Sorry to hear about that. Was something wrong with it? If it's for personal reasons, no need to share.

There was nothing wrong with the machine, just my timing ordering it. A newer model was released before I even finished assembling mine, so I emailed the company, asked them what I could do to upgrade my system since it was such a recent order, and the option I chose was to send it back to order the new one. That's the gist of it, but I talk about it a little more in post #473.

#486 7 years ago

Here are the photos, as promised.

This is the ceiling panel on top of the cabinet, showing where it and the block in front meet the glass:
    a (resized).jpga (resized).jpg

This is the control panel mount, with the glass resting in the notch at its top.
    b (resized).jpgb (resized).jpg

Reaching under the glass to push it up and toward me.
    c (resized).jpgc (resized).jpg

Glass out of the notch and moved into the groove.
    d (resized).jpgd (resized).jpg

Top of the glass when lowered into groove, showing empty space behind its normal position to allow it to pivot when removing.
    e (resized).jpge (resized).jpg

Glass removed, showing empty control panel mount, and how it, the long spacer piece of wood, and the playfield are all touching each other.
    f (resized).jpgf (resized).jpg

One more shot showing the playfield, spacer wood, guide rail.
    g (resized).jpgg (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #487 7 years ago

No updates from my end. I've been working on an unrelated side project, that involves PCB design and milling on my CNC machine. In fact, what I'm working on is a custom shield for the Mega. It's been a very educational experience that I hope can apply to this project. It might be nice if we had a tidy PCB to plug our components into.

Assembled board1 (resized).pngAssembled board1 (resized).png

Assembled board2 (resized).pngAssembled board2 (resized).png

#488 7 years ago

No updates from my end. I've been working on an unrelated side project, that involves PCB design and milling on my CNC machine. In fact, what I'm working on is a custom shield for the Mega. It's been a very educational experience that I hope can apply to this project. It might be nice if we had a tidy PCB to plug our components into.

Very cool!

No updates on my end either. I still haven't heard a peep about my refund since my X-Carve kit was delivered back to the company. I'm sure they've had their hands full, getting their flood of orders for the new product out to their other customers and my return has been on their back burner. Their refund page said they try to process refunds within one week of receiving their returns, but it's been three weeks now since UPS delivered it back to them. I don't intend to order the new X-Carve until I get my refund back. I can't say it hasn't bothered me trying to be patient with this, because every time I think about ICB, I think about being out $1500 and a CNC machine. I'm going to email them tomorrow to check my status.

In the mean time, I've decided for sure that I want my personal ICB project to be based on the '90s X-Men cartoon. I bought all the DVDs and watched the entire series to reacquaint myself with the material. (I also then watched the entire 2009 "Wolverine and the X-Men" series, which I thought was actually better, but I'm making the '90s theme for nostalgic reasons.) I also roughed out a custom design for the cabinet, started figuring out some lighting features, and trying to map out some gameplay elements. I'm pretty excited for it.

#489 7 years ago

We are probably at a point where we should make some decisions for the open source project.

Do we want to design it as a bartop, wall mount, or free-standing cabinet? Like Whysnow said, it could have a shallower depth if you don't need to worry about tipping it over, so a wall mount would be thinnest. If it's free-standing, we're definitely going to need to design it to with a separate top and bottom, since neither winteriscoming or I will have a CNC machine big enough to allow us to cut the entire height in one pass, and assuming we design for it, it gains the benefit of being able to break down to move and transport easier. If we go bartop, should we consider scaling it smaller?

Aside from the depth, the upper half of ICB's cabinet is already surprisingly about as small as it can be without either removing holes from the outside edges of the playfield (unacceptable) or reducing the ball size. If you switch the 5/8" ball for a pachinko ball (11mm), then you can scale the machine's size down by 30%. So if a full-size ICB bartop would be, say, 25" wide by 40" tall, then a bartop using a pachinko ball might be 18"x30". Potential problem then is that the game will feel completely different, and probably be harder with a lighter ball.

I think we're ready to nail down a theme. Likely the theme will have some influence on the cabinet design to some extent, and having a decided theme could help everyone brainstorm game modes and get the artists thinking. There have been a lot of good theme ideas offered so far. I skimmed through the whole thread and collected the ideas presented below:

Quoted from lpeters82:

My top three themes right now would be Ice Cold Beer: The Next Round, Firefighter, or Golf. The golf theme could work well. Have 18 different holes. Plus that survival whack a gopher bonus mode.

Quoted from trunchbull:

I'd love to see a space theme done with awesome retro art like Stars or Meteor - you could be on a rescue mission to save stranded astronauts floating helplessly in the debris of a space mining accident or something. Mission control callouts, intensifying music, etc. Or a Time Bandits-esque theme, where you have to go around to different times, as represented by different areas on the board, to collect shards of a temporal crystal and save the universe. Or a haunted house game where you have to get to certain holes to find your way out, and if you go down the wrong hole there's a jump-scare on the LCD screen, accompanied by a THWACK from a knocker.

Quoted from lpeters82:

My preference is something fairly timeless. Some campy humor would be great too. I'd go so far to say campy humor is almost a must.

Quoted from XXVII:

A haunted house theme could be great.
    This could be a great boon for us: Ben Heck has all the source code, artwork, sounds, and animations from America's Most Haunted freely available for download on his website: http://www.benheck.com/amh/
    I don't know know what the license is for these assets, but if it is open source or permissible, that could save us a lot of effort. Already filled with funny campy humor!

(I messaged Ben back when I made this post and never got a reply back. I'm going to assume that means the assets do not have a license that will allow us to use them in our project.)

Pirates - I kind of like this theme. The playfield could be a map with holes being either other ships, hazards, or islands.
    Zombies - Meh, it's an over-used theme at this point, but could work.
    Ants - A number of ideas comes from this such as an ant carrying food to the right hole, or ants on some kind of military mission where the target hole is either a place to invade or simply an area of the colony that is being attacked. The playfield could either be a side view of the interior of the ant colony, an overhead view of ant hills, or a grassy field with holes and other things like picknic blankets, etc. You could have a competitive mode that's red vs. black. Half of the PF is red and half is black (well black doesn't work... blue?). Red's goal is to capture Black's holes and vice-versa. First to have all or X number of holes captured wins.
    War - Not my cup of tea, but could work as a theme. Playfield is a battlefield... maybe a minefield? Could potentially work similarly to ants. If we went with a war theme, I'd probably prefer something more interesting than boring human war... maybe anthropomorphic dinosaurs or animals? Robot war?
    Mail Delivery - You're a postal worker and have to deliver packages to the correct house. While not an exciting theme at face value, each house could have a character who responds to your actions.
    Emergency Room - You're an EMT and have to deliver patients to the correct area of the ER. You start off just directing patients to the front desk or waiting room, but then progressively get worse cases that need to go straight to specific areas of the ER like the X-Ray room, etc. The pf would be laid out as an overhead view of the ER with rooms (holes) labeled. You could even have modes that don't outright tell you where to take the patient, but you have to figure it out based on symptoms.

Quoted from jamieflowers:

Treasure Hunter, or some variation to that. You could incorporate pirates, The Uncharted game etc.

Quoted from lpeters82:

perhaps we could do some type of general disaster theme where there are a number of different disasters that occur: flood, fire, earthquake, tornado, etc. We could also adapt this to more of a general Godzilla or King Kong theme where it's large monsters that are causing the disasters. Hmm...after typing that I'm thinking that keeping it simpler might be easier to really drive home the theme. I'm going to stick with my suggestion for an original theme of "Fire Rescue".

Quoted from lpeters82:

I really like the gold mine theme too; you're bringing gold out of the mine on a mine cart. That seems to mimic the ball on the rod. The ball could probably be gold, which would add to the theme. The longer it takes the more gold falls out of the cart. A bit of a stretch, but it could work. Your goal is to collect as much gold as possible. During normal gameplay your target hole is flashing yellow. There could be random callouts of "Fire in the hole!" then have a red/orange flash in one of the non-target holes along with an explosion. I really like the whole wild west theme that goes along with this, think: crazy prospectors, outlaws, shootouts, saloons, poker, rattlesnakes, runaway mine cars, cave-ins, gold strike, dynamite, "Fire in the hole!", "There's gold in them-there hills.", "Eheheheh!", "Rootin'-Tootin'", etc.

#490 7 years ago

I'm so in if this becomes reality!

#491 7 years ago

I don't really have any strong feelings about the design, other then we should stick with the original size ball. That probably only excludes a bar top. Either a wall mount or full cabinet would be fine. As for themes, my top three would be: Gold Mine, Firefighter, and Ice Cold Beer: Next Round. I think my favorite was that last suggestion of Gold Mine. It's a fun western(ish) theme where the base game makes a lot of sense, bringing gold out of the mine, plus there are a lot of special modes that could be programmed to add variety.

#492 7 years ago

I can dig it.

I'd prefer a standup to go along with my other arcade stuff, but there's no reason we all have to be the same. If everyone else wants wall mounted, I can come up with a stand-up cab design and share it for those who want it.

Keeping expos in mind, a standup would be better than a wall mounted version.

#493 7 years ago

I see what you did there. I just noticed that there is a mobile game called "California Gold Rush". I've been watching a few youtube videos and we might be able to get some inspiration from that. Personally, I kind of like their menus and music.

PS: I'm perfectly find with a stand up.

#494 7 years ago

We have the potential for lots of colors. So maybe go for broke with Gemstone Mine or Jewel Mine instead of gold?

There could be modes based on the type of gem you're supposed to collect.

#495 7 years ago

The ideas I've liked most so far have been the gold mine and the treasure hunter.

But if we were to go with the gold mine theme, I think it would only be right to expand to general Western/cowboy theme rather than just completely biting the other builder's idea. That way, gold mining can just be one component of the game rather than the whole thing. There's plenty that can also be done with a Western theme: street shootouts, quick draw, bank robberies, cattle herding, railroad building/train hijacking, bounty hunting, dying of dysentery, rodeos, saloon fights, etc. It'd be the perfect theme to integrate the HORSE and poker modes people discussed early on.

The treasure hunter theme would allow for a lot of color variety and interesting opportunities with artwork, with hidden temples, jungles, witch doctors, etc. You could easily integrate pirates into a theme like that.

Either way, I like the idea of going campy/funny with it rather than serious.

#496 7 years ago

I've been following along and will definitely try to put one together towards the end. I'd offer to help, but not sure what my time commitment could be, but I'd be more than happy to help with software if needed.

Western theme sounds fun, for campy you can always take a look at cactus canyon or Blazing Saddles for inspiration.

#497 7 years ago

From an open source perspective, at a minimum, someone should be able to take the instructions/parts list/wiring diagram and implement an existing marble game like Zeke's Peak or ICB. But ultimately someone should be able to take the framework and expand it for any themes/modes they want, and then implement it in a standup/tabletop/wall mount cabinet if they so choose.

#498 7 years ago
    Quoted from mjenison:

From an open source perspective, at a minimum, someone should be able to take the instructions/parts list/wiring diagram and implement an existing marble game like Zeke's Peak or ICB. But ultimately someone should be able to take the framework and expand it for any themes/modes they want, and then implement it in a standup/tabletop/wall mount cabinet if they so choose.

We've already done that. The basic Ice Cold Beer game has already been programmed in Python and works on a Raspberry Pi with servos and switches. We're at a point now where we want a new, polished game vs. a complete clone of the existing title.

#499 7 years ago

Why don't we reach out to the other builder? My fear is that without a very specific main theme we will end up over-complicating it. For the base game my preference is to keep it simple. We create different routes of target holes. Each route is a different mine, with it's own unique theme and corresponding bonus game. Some ideas: cave-ins, robbery, drinking, gambling, flooding, haunted mine, runaway train, cowboy's and aliens, etc. Basically you can incorporate any of the western tropes, but do so within the theme of that particular mine and bonus mode. Have the options menu so the players can choose to play the "story mode" or instead select to just play their favorite bonus games. If you want to toss out a troupe idea, I can brainstorm an example.

PS: I might have already said this, but if there is any way to have multigame achievements like in modern home console games that would be awesome. So after you collect 100,000 gold nuggets it unlocks that achievement. I think small things like that would greatly add to the replayability.

#500 7 years ago

How about a Midnight Madness mode? That might be a way to work in a crazy trope like Cowboys vs Aliens. If your playing at midnight the game goes dark and the ball and lever return to the starting position. We see a flashing light and hear a loud crash. Our prospector is awakened, perhaps rattling some moonshine bottles in the process, "What in tarnation is goin' on out there!" He exits the door yelling and firing his shotgun into the air, "Ya bandits better not be tryin' to steal my gol...What the fartnocker!" He discovers the crashed UFO. Aliens use a ray gun to brainwash him to mine uranium to refuel their ship. Perhaps during this mode there is no penalty for dropping the ball in a non-target hole. It's all about collecting as many of the green target holes as quickly as possible. When finished the UFO flies away and the game resets itself to the previous mode. Just as that normal mode restarts our prospector murmurs something about a bad dream and needing to lay off the moonshine.

EDIT: Another mode that might work for Cowboys vs Aliens would be a type of "Space Invaders". Lit target holes start at the top of the playfield. Every X seconds there is an advance and the next lower holes are lit. Like in the video game, these are the ships that are advancing towards the bottom. This becomes faster and faster. The goal is to survive as long as possible by shooting the ships before they reach the bottom. The animations on the screen could be our drunkin' prospector firing his shotgun wildly at the advancing ships.

There are 633 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-ice-cold-beer-type-game/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.