Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Skrippy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1468658_545701428916_1624462952_n.jpg
    1463177_545682766316_30446837_n.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thedefog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 10 years ago

Hey Genzume,

Great to see someone making their own machine. A few years ago I had the same idea as you, albeit much less complex.

I went for a simple low-tech 1/2 sized pitch and batt machine using marble-sized ball bearings. I started by using an Arduino ATMega328, but it had too few pins on it to avoid a switching matrix. I'm moving to either the ATMega2560 or the Raspberry pi. Eventually I'll get sound effects and a small LCD display running on it too.

I bought a bunch of cheap long lever switches and soldered little tin tabs to the end of each for when the ball drops down scoring holes, then the underside of the playfield has a piece of wood that sends the ball back to a pitcher's mound. I have a coil that shoots it up a metal ramp out of the pitcher's mound. It uses a little flap with an embedded hinge. Strikes also are sloped to go back to the same point.

The playfield is made out of MDF, and was awesome to work with. Dremel was easy to use on this. I played around with some design ideas based on other Pitch and Batt machines. The first thing I did was install the little batt flipper to see how it would react and how wide a range I'd have. Then committed to drilling holes. I build little wood rails around the playfield to contain the pinball.

The power supply came out of an old dead laser printer, which had +5v, +12v, & +48v on it (everything you need for a machine). I put some LEDs on the bases and did a little bit of code so far to control lighting and scoring, and I did manage to get it somewhat working. It is still a major work in progress that I mess around with every once in a while. The idea was to install it into my coffee table in my man cave.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thedefog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-homemade-machine?tu=thedefog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.