IMG_20180127_104135 (resized).jpg
20180127_092139 (resized).jpg
IMG_6721 (resized).JPG
IMG_6720 (resized).JPG
IMG_6725 (resized).JPG
IMG_6726 (resized).JPG
IMG_6719 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I recently got a Dialed In and think it is a great game! However, one thing that bugged me was the minimal backbox lighting to show off the artwork of the backglass. Especially was the lack of light along the sides of the monitor, which resulted in that artwork being completely not visible when the game was on in a dark room. This tutorial is a step-by-step guide for adding additional LED lights to the backbox to light the sides and give more light to the top.

Before:
IMG_6716 (resized).JPGIMG_6716 (resized).JPG

After:
IMG_6721 (resized).JPGIMG_6721 (resized).JPG

Added lights:
IMG_6720 (resized).JPGIMG_6720 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

that looks cool. can you give us more detail on what you did/used?

-jon

#3 6 years ago

Parts:

Cool white LED strip:
-Can be 5050 or 3528, 60LEDs/M or 30LEDs/M, depending on how bring you like it. I went with 50505 @ 60LEDs/M
-- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5M-3528-LED-Waterproof-Strip-Light-300-LED-DC-12V-Cool-White-Blue-Yellow-Red-Green/571468879.html

Electrical tape (and some ⅜” heat shrink tubing if you having it)
-Protects the end of LED strips from accidentally shorting against metal frame of monitor and computer case

22 gauge wire 2-pin wire
- https://www.amazon.com/SoundOriginal-Extension-Strips-Single-Colour/dp/B01M21MPB7

2-pin 0.093" connector plugs (2x male and 2x female)
- https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=87
-- Female: Part Number 03-09-2022
- https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=88
-- Male: Part Number 03-09-1022

Pins for 0.093” plugs (4x male and 4x female)
- https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=89
-- Part Number 02-09-1119
-- Part Number 02-09-2118

4” zipties
- https://www.amazon.com/White-Nylon-Cable-Locking-2-5mm/dp/B000RB2DRK/

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

that looks cool. can you give us more detail on what you did/used?
-jon

Give me some time! Gotta write this stuff up. (plus there is a 60 second delay between posts due to Pinside preventing double posts.)

#6 6 years ago

Y-splitter for power:

Make a y-splitter wiring harness with the 2-pin 0.093" connector plugs and pins. This is used to power LEDs on the side of the monitor.
1x Female to 2x Male plugs

Note: Female plug has male pins; male plug has female pins
Note: Do not cross the wires to opposite side of the plugs (pointy side and flat side) Make sure the wires run way the same to all plugs (flat side of plugs all are connected)

IMG_6724 (resized).jpgIMG_6724 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

LEDs for monitor’s sides

Wire length:
- 28.5”: Connecting LEDs on each side (connected along bottom of monitor)
- 40”: Power (connects to top-left of LED strips)LEDs: 2x 18 LEDs (@ 60/LEDs/M) approx 12” (may be shorter due to LED strips used)

Cut LED strips between solder pads (every 3 LEDs)

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Solder two LED strip to 28.5” wire

To solder wires to LED strips:
- Tin the solder pads on the LED strip by putting a dab of solder down
- Tin the wires with solder
- Touch the tinned wires to the tinned pads and touch with soldering iron to fuse together
- Make sure that the positive and negative are correct

Put ⅜” heat shrink tubing around connections or make sure that you put electrical tape below where the ends of the LEDs attach to the monitor frame

IMG_6723 (resized).JPGIMG_6723 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

Power:

Attach 40” wire to one free end of the LEDs

Attach female 2-pin 0.093" connector plugs and pins
- Note: pins are male

NOTE: Flat side of plug goes to negative wire to LEDS!!!
(At least on my game.)

#10 6 years ago

Attach LEDs without power harness to right side of monitor frame with wire harness at bottom.

IMG_6707 (resized).JPGIMG_6707 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

Attach LEDs with power harness to left side of frame

-Power harness at top

-Wires to other LED strip at bottom

IMG_6709 (resized).JPGIMG_6709 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

Use a piece of electrical tape to hold the wires to the bottom of the monitor

IMG_6710 (resized).JPGIMG_6710 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

Run power wire harness over the top of the monitor frame and tape to back side of frame to keep it out of the way of the monitor frame’s locking mechanism

IMG_6711 (resized).JPGIMG_6711 (resized).JPG

#14 6 years ago

Run power wire harness along monitor frames arm and zip tie in place

IMG_6712 (resized).JPGIMG_6712 (resized).JPG

#15 6 years ago

Power:

Find the plug that powers the LEDs on the computer case

Unplug, plug in y-splitter, and power LEDs on monitor

IMG_6714 (resized).JPGIMG_6714 (resized).JPG

IMG_6715 (resized).JPGIMG_6715 (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago

Adding LEDs to computer case:

I put down two strips that don’t block the computer fan vent on the case

21 LEDs and 6 LEDs (60 LEDs/M)
- Put electrical tape on the case where the ends of the LED strip meet the computer case to prevent accidental shorts

IMG_6719 (resized).JPGIMG_6719 (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago

Run power to the strips by running a wire from positive to positive and negative to negative from the original LEDs to the new LEDs

IMG_6726 (resized).JPGIMG_6726 (resized).JPG

IMG_6725 (resized).JPGIMG_6725 (resized).JPG

#18 6 years ago

Plug everything together and test! You are finished!

IMG_6720 (resized).JPGIMG_6720 (resized).JPG

IMG_6721 (resized).JPGIMG_6721 (resized).JPG

#20 6 years ago

Great write-up, thank you!

#21 6 years ago

Hope this helps some folks brighten up their DI. Let me know if there are typos, anything I left out, or if another picture is needed.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Give me some time! Gotta write this stuff up. (plus there is a 60 second delay between posts due to Pinside preventing double posts.)

ha! sorry. thought you were just showing off and abandoning us! thanks for this. looks great!

-jon

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

ha! sorry. though you were just showing off and abandoning us! thanks for this. looks great!
-jon

No problem -- these things take a while to write up, markup photos, and find links to all the parts. Let me know what you think if you put this together.

#25 6 years ago

I have ordered the parts and will install as soon as they arrive.
Thank you for this great upgrade and installation guide!

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Same.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Thank you for this great upgrade and installation guide!

Awesome to hear. Great to know that you are going to make this (and that the guide helps people.). Keep me posted and let me know if you have any questions or run into any problem.

#28 6 years ago

Nicely executed mod!

#30 6 years ago

I'm not sure why you didnt go all the way around like i did it. Looks great.

20180127_092139 (resized).jpg20180127_092139 (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I'm not sure why you didnt go all the way around like i did it. Looks great.

Looks good. How did you mount the lights on the bottom? Bottom of the monitor facing down?

#32 6 years ago

Actually facing out, I made a bracket to mount them on. You can use some kind of an angle bracket if you want. You need to be mindful of the lights affecting the camera or it will wash out the pic. I did it different than you overall, I used quick disconnects to make it easier to slide out the monitor.

I tried this on my hobbit and woz and the results weren’t acceptable, the glasses don’t allow as much light through and you can see the leds on the bottom row.

#33 6 years ago

Mind sharing some photos?

#34 6 years ago

Sure, sorry for the delay.

IMG_20180127_104135 (resized).jpgIMG_20180127_104135 (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

Thanks for the photo. Any reason why you attached the bracket to the bottom of the head rather than to the bottom of the monitor frame?

1 month later
#36 6 years ago

All done. Looks great! Thanks lyonsden & Lermods for the idea and instructions! I attached the bottom lights to the monitor so that I wouldn’t need to install a quick disconnect.

DBCCB179-EDBA-4E50-82EE-6D0C30D4455A (resized).jpegDBCCB179-EDBA-4E50-82EE-6D0C30D4455A (resized).jpeg
2BCD4E6C-BA9B-4B2F-98E1-E0F52891A8E5 (resized).jpeg2BCD4E6C-BA9B-4B2F-98E1-E0F52891A8E5 (resized).jpeg

7 months later
#37 5 years ago

Bumping this thread up for a question. Any reason why you couldn't daisy chain more LED strips from the factory strip? Much like how you did with extra strips with the CPU fan case?

Would use 20awg wire with LED strip (sticky back), solder the wiring from the factory LED strip to the new strips around the framing of the translight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WKHXHYW/ref=psdc_14325491_t1_B01M21MPB7
https://smile.amazon.com/Flexible-Daylight-Kitchen-Christmas-Non-waterproof/dp/B00HSF65MC/ref=sr_1_4

#38 5 years ago

No reason you can't do that. You may want to have a plug for that harness that runs to the monitor LEDs in case you need to take the cover off the computer case.

#39 5 years ago

I'll have to give it a go then!

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'll have to give it a go then!

Yep, it will work. We go off the connector, it's just easier that way. If you install on the bottom of the monitor, just be mindful of being too bright around the camera.

2 years later
#41 3 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

All done. Looks great! Thanks lyonsden & lermods for the idea and instructions! I attached the bottom lights to the monitor so that I wouldn’t need to install a quick disconnect.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

bringing this thread back....

What did you use to make a bracket?

Did you just attach via double sided tape?

Added over 3 years ago:

Edit - I just ordered a Lermods kit. Seemed easier than having to solder all these LED strips, always a bit inconsistent for me.

1 month later
#42 3 years ago

I tried to follow this, I ordered the connectors, and wired everything as indicated for adding a LED Strip, paying close attention to polarity. And when I turned the game on again, I started having issues with Slingshots, and Pop Bumpers, where they didn't have the same "Kick" so I'm in the process of adding a 100w 12v LED Power supply to wire in everything that was wired into the power that had only the single 10-20SMD Strip on it. When I disconnected the entire chain, of add-ons, like LED Buttons, and Mods, it went back to normal, and possibly a little stronger.

So the bottom line here is that if you go down this road, with mods, you may need other things to support that mod, like a set of blinders for the camera, as there's a trickle-down effect on this mod, like Power, and Light Pollution. So Even though I'm happy with the mod, but I've had to re-wire a lot to get it to work the way I'd like it to work.

Station1 (resized).jpgStation1 (resized).jpgPowerSupply (resized).jpgPowerSupply (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpgGlareShield (resized).jpgGlareShield (resized).jpgGlareShield_CU (resized).jpgGlareShield_CU (resized).jpgBobs (resized).jpgBobs (resized).jpgButton (resized).jpgButton (resized).jpg
2 months later
#43 3 years ago

Installed this earlier this week and I'm impressed with how good it looks.
Op, thank you for this guide !

3 weeks later
#44 3 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Installed this earlier this week and I'm impressed with how good it looks.
Op, thank you for this guide !

Glad this guide is still being referenced and helping people light up their games!

3 years later
#45 21 days ago

Wow, six years later and I finally completed this! To be fair, I moved halfway across the country, and also the sun was in my eyes. Anyway, thanks for the writeup!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.50
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-guide-to-adding-backbox-lights-to-dialed-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.