E81ABEA4-6329-4104-AA2D-CDCE80813ACB (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_2364 (resized).PNG
Screenshot 2023-05-16 082938 (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-05-16 082836 (resized).png
PXL_20230516_122225605 (resized).jpg
157DDAC7-3A92-4D26-8D6A-D92E89965A5A (resized).jpeg
#1 11 months ago

This is a tinkerers integration mod. It's helpful if you have some previous experience with ESP32/WLED setups.

These instructions should get you started. I'm happy to help with configuration and program setup once a few people get that far.

Its not difficult and everything is off-the-shelf, but it is not a plug-n-play solution. If you want plug-n-play, this isn't for you. Perhaps someone else will make a kit and license the software.

Example of end product on Foo Fighters Pro (I have also done this to my Rush Pro)

----------------
Parts Needed:
----------------

3 Meters - WS2812B RGB 5050SMD IP65 60pixels/meter BLACK PCB - example - https://www.amazon.com/BTF-LIGHTING-Flexible-Individually-Addressable-Non-waterproof/dp/B01CDTEKAG
- Its important to get IP65 to get protection of the LEDs from the giant conductive metal ball that can land on them!
- you could also use 30 pixels/meter if you want a lower density
- there are MANY other vendor options for these. I source them from ebay.com link: itm and its cheaper, but the amazon link above should work fine

Power Supply - example - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFLYDKKD/
- Needs to be 5v 5A minimum. Higher isn't needed, but if you have something laying around, almost any 5v can work plugged into the service outlet

ESP32 control board - example - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J95SMG7/
- There are a ton of options for ESP32 boards, make sure to choose one that exposes GPIO0 (that is GPIO-ZERO).

Audio ADC - example - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832803602142.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US
- This is a tricky one. I tried to get an analog circuit to work and was unsuccessful. I tried a few different I2S boards and this is the one that worked best...but it needs GPIO0 exposed on the ESP32

--------------------
Connecting parts:
--------------------
Assuming you already have soldering iron and basic electronics tools (wire stripper, etc)

1. stereo RCA cable - example - https://www.amazon.com/C2G-40464-Value-Stereo-Meters/dp/B0019MEG4E/

2. grab a pack of jumper wires - example - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S2RH6Q4/ to make connections easier

3. you will need about 10ft of basic 3-conductor LED wire - example - https://www.amazon.com/LEADTOPS-Conductor-Extension-Stranded-WS2812B/dp/B08JPLRXRK

4. snap connectors - example - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09VGMN31T
- wago connectors are better, but more expensive. YMMV

----------------
Basic concept:
----------------

1. You need to tap into the line out of the SPIKE2 CPU board - see PinMonk excellent post at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-on-board-amp-with-external-amp-for-iron-maiden

2. Splice the RCA cable into the connector above and plug the RCA ends into the I2S board.
--the I2S board also accepts a 1/8" input, so if you have one of those laying around try that
--note: you probably will need to only connect the shield to ONE of the channels to avoid an audio ground loop. I only have the "left" channel ground connected

3. Use the jumper wires to connect the I2S -> ESP32 board -- THIS IS PROBABLY THE TRICKIEST PART
-- this part you need to reference - https://mm.kno.wled.ge/soundreactive/Line-Input/ - to set up the I2S board
--- Remove jumper from MLCK
--- DIP SWITCH - SLAVE
-- then, lower in the post -> map the following to the ESP board pinout
--- BCK = I2S SCK
--- OUT = I2S SD
--- LRC = I2S WS
--- SCK = I2S MCLK (master clock)
--- Ground
--- 3.3v input

4. Cut the LED strip into two sections, being careful to make sure the signal flow arrows point from the top of the playfield down toward the flippers
-- you can use the sticky that is on the leds strip, but its not great. I use an additional layer of double sided tape. It still peels off if you want to remove them later

5. connect the + and - of the LEDs and the ESP32 to the power supply via the snap connectors

6. connect the data for each led strip to to open ports on the ESP32 (d2 and d4 are common)

This completes the minimum hardware installation

-----------
Software:
-----------
1. You need to flash the ESP32 with WLED, Sound Reactive, MoonMod - https://wled-install.github.io/
-- if you haven't done any of this, its not difficult and there are MANY tutorials out there to get up and running with WLED - start here - https://kno.wled.ge/
-- Specifically, im using MoonMod V.0.14.0 beta15
-- once flashed and connected to your wifi, there are several config screens to setup the leds and I2S interface.
2. Configuration Notes for WLED-SR-MM
-- In LED Preferences, I have the Max Current set to 10000mA and Default Brightness at 64
-- Each side of my game has 104 LEDs. I have played around a bit on different segments and ended up with two segments per side, one "reversed" on each side.
Depending on the preset, this makes a "meter" effect start in the middle of the playfield and travel up and down in sync. Pretty cool effect.

3. Programs and presets - This is where customization can get really crazy. If you have seen the options on the Tokyo Neon sign mod, its on that level of craziness! IMHO, you COULD do something even better than the "official expression kit"
-- The presets with one musical note = LEDs react to the sound and you choose the color palette (or create your own custom pallete)
-- The presets with Two musical notes = an FFT is done on the audio signal and the color palette is dynamic with the frequency content of the audio (think about the old school "spectrum analyzers" from the 80s/90s home stereos.
-- You can have a different preset AND color palette for each segment you created above in step 2. In my case, its four segments...but I mirror the two sides. You could get even more granular and create segments that directly correspond to areas of the playfield...then assign a color palette that complements the artwork in that area...and have different patterns going.
-- I have 10 different presets that randomly change every three minutes. This seems to be a good compromise of usually having a different effect per mode (but randomized to a degree)
-- One thing Id like to add, but havent figured out a way yet. IF the game is in attract mode (eg. no audio), switch to a preset that is not sound reactive.
At the moment, in attract mode, because of the silence, the LEDs are always off.

--------------
Other notes:
--------------

1. The LEDs are "sync'd" to the sounds coming from the system, NOT just the music. This isn't super noticeable unless there are quiet times between songs and other call-out happening.

2. The patterns can change by programming a playlist on the ESP32. They wont trigger a different pattern when a new song starts (though this would be a cool possibility for someone with more programming skills, maybe "listen" for the audio sig of the start of a song?)

3. The color palette of the LEDS is also completely configurable per pattern....so you can setup some pretty different effects to add personality

4. Mirror blades make a huge difference and I highly recommend them

5. I purposely did NOT add LED diffusion. I like seeing the actual LEDs, kind of remind me of mini stage lights at concerts...but you could add a diffusor on top to soften the light

----------
End note:
----------

If you have made it this far, congrats! While writing this up, I realize this is MUCH more involved than I had thought. I did this over the course of several weeks and have been tinkering with ESP32/WLED for years...so it wasnt difficult for me, but re-reading it, I can see it might be over whelming for someone new.

Please post here if there is more interest in getting this up and running. WLED software is NOT mine to distribute, so I cannot sell a pre-configured kit.

However, if there is enough interest, I might be willing to put together a hardware "starter kit" or some one off consulting...IDK.

#2 11 months ago

reserved

Added 11 months ago:

I have had a couple of people ask me about a starter kit. If interested, please PM me and I will put something together.

#3 11 months ago

Very interesting man!

#4 11 months ago

Definitely will be doing this in the meantime until stern actually sells the expression system for foo

#5 11 months ago

Diy hotrails. This is cool. It'd be interesting to see how these look with the expression lights also!

At this point of the mod, step two is adding under cabinet and back box lights for those with a foo pro (etc) that doesn't support expression lights and therefore can't use the Ninja camp kits.

#6 11 months ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Definitely will be doing this in the meantime until stern actually sells the expression system for foo

You can use either Rush or LZ expression lights in FF. I had LZ in Rush for 8 months. They're now in a FF premium.

This is a very cool project though! Thanks for sharing it!

#7 11 months ago

My first thought when I saw your video is why did you install AFM ufo's in your game? Lol... damn speaker light reflections!

#8 11 months ago

I'm wondering about the channel in the side of the cabinet, usually for the expression system - could there be something that fit within that, and perhaps some third party art blades that went over the DIY lights?

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from pb456:

I'm wondering about the channel in the side of the cabinet, usually for the expression system - could there be something that fit within that, and perhaps some third party art blades that went over the DIY lights?

There is no channel in the sides on Foo Fighters Pro.

#10 11 months ago
Quoted from noysboy:

There is no channel in the sides on Foo Fighters Pro.

Balls. I am pretty sure there is in Rush Pro....?

#11 11 months ago

Subscribed to this. Looks pretty sweet. I might try this on all my music pins.

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from pb456:

Balls. I am pretty sure there is in Rush Pro....?

Correct. Rush Pro has the side cutouts. You can purchase the official Stern Expression Lights for Rush for $500.

There is no official option for Foo Fighters Pro, hence this project.

#13 11 months ago
Quoted from Deez:

Subscribed to this. Looks pretty sweet. I might try this on all my music pins.

In theory it should work on any game with access to the audio out.

In my early prototype, I just used an I2S mic in the backbox and it works reasonably well when only one game is on.

1 week later
#14 11 months ago

I wonder how difficult it would be to get WLED be mode aware by using some of the code in this project - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bksor-flaming-speaker-mod-diy

The actual code is here https://github.com/FUB4R/bk3fsl/blob/master/bk3fsl.ino

and then it would be so awesome to use the amazing effects WLED has control of & get presets to be associated with game modes!

#15 11 months ago
Quoted from cws204:

I wonder how difficult it would be to get WLED be mode aware by using some of the code in this project - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bksor-flaming-speaker-mod-diy
The actual code is here https://github.com/FUB4R/bk3fsl/blob/master/bk3fsl.ino
and then it would be so awesome to use the amazing effects WLED has control of & get presets to be associated with game modes!

If I'm not mistaken, that got bricked with a software update. I believe it then got reworked using a different method of reading the code from the game....only to be brick again by the next update.

#16 11 months ago

Interesting. I wasnt aware of the mode aware thread. Good stuff.

I think it would be marginally easier to be song aware. If anyone tries to tackle it, it probably wont be broken by code updates in the future, assuming you are keying off the audio only.

My thought is to monitor the audio feed and match the "wav" print of a song (Like ascaled down Shazam/Google/Siri, etc)...or maybe only BPM, which might be a compromise.

Anyway, thats beyond the time and effort I want to put into it, but it would be a nice enhancement.

#17 11 months ago

I have the Leds + 5v power and ground all wired in. LED data to GPIO16. I’m seriously banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what pins to wire the i2s adc. I bought the one from AliExpress linked above.

This is my best guess:
--- GPIO05 = I2S SCK
--- GPIO35 = I2S SD
--- GPIO25 = I2S WS
--- GPIO0 = I2S MCLK (master clock)
--- Ground
--- 3.3v input

157DDAC7-3A92-4D26-8D6A-D92E89965A5A (resized).jpeg157DDAC7-3A92-4D26-8D6A-D92E89965A5A (resized).jpeg

Added 11 months ago:

See Post below for correct pinout

#18 11 months ago

here is what I have:

I2S (aka) -> ESP32

MCLK - GPIO0
BLCK (SCK) -> GPIO14
DATA (SD) -> GPIO32
LRCK (WS) -> GPIO15
DGND -> GND
GND -> GND
VCC -> 5V

The voltage needed for the I2S is 5v, not 3.3v
You can also re-config the GPIO above in WLED.
IMPORTANT NOTE: By default, GPIO0 is assigned to "Button 0" function in "LED Preferences" - You need to change it to "-1" to free up GPIO0

PXL_20230516_122225605 (resized).jpgPXL_20230516_122225605 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2023-05-16 082938 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-05-16 082938 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-05-16 082836 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-05-16 082836 (resized).png
#19 11 months ago

I have had a couple of people ask me about a starter kit. If interested, please PM me and I will put something together.

#20 11 months ago
Quoted from noysboy:

here is what I have:
I2S (aka) -> ESP32
MCLK - GPIO0
BLCK (SCK) -> GPIO14
DATA (SD) -> GPIO32
LRCK (WS) -> GPIO15
DGND -> GND
GND -> GND
VCC -> 5V
The voltage needed for the I2S is 5v, not 3.3v
You can also re-config the GPIO above in WLED.
IMPORTANT NOTE: By default, GPIO0 is assigned to "Button 0" function in "LED Preferences" - You need to change it to "-1" to free up GPIO0
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow i was way off... Glad i asked. Thank you

#21 11 months ago
Quoted from noysboy:

You can purchase the official Stern Expression Lights for Rush for $500.

And where, exactly, can you buy the impression lights for Rush for $500?

Thanks you for the topic info.
It's too much for me, but I do want lights on my Rush and this looks good.

#22 11 months ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

And where, exactly, can you buy the impression lights for Rush for $500?
Thanks you for the topic info.
It's too much for me, but I do want lights on my Rush and this looks good.

Any distributor will sell you a set. If you haven't ordered yet, you may be waiting a while. I'd check with smaller distributors first, since the big ones are probably deep with orders.

#23 11 months ago

Got the rest if the wiring squared away. Boy do I love a good soldiering project. Just waiting on my I2S from China. In the meantime I'll get to work on 3dprinting an enclosure for this thing.

IMG_2364 (resized).PNGIMG_2364 (resized).PNG

#24 11 months ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

I'll get to work on 3dprinting an enclosure for this thing.

Nice! Keep in mind both boards run warm...so you will want some sort of passive vents on the enclosure design. I would love to see it finished off. I *just* started 3d printing and don't yet have the skills to model a nice case.

#25 11 months ago
Quoted from noysboy:

Nice! Keep in mind both boards run warm...so you will want some sort of passive vents on the enclosure design. I would love to see it finished off. I *just* started 3d printing and don't yet have the skills to model a nice case.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#26 11 months ago

I2S is here

2CE00A66-A0C6-4F4C-9D60-E9A8AEB3F3AB (resized).jpeg2CE00A66-A0C6-4F4C-9D60-E9A8AEB3F3AB (resized).jpegA4F4EC81-0CF6-45AC-BA18-B3E6C8BDFCE4 (resized).jpegA4F4EC81-0CF6-45AC-BA18-B3E6C8BDFCE4 (resized).jpegE81ABEA4-6329-4104-AA2D-CDCE80813ACB (resized).jpegE81ABEA4-6329-4104-AA2D-CDCE80813ACB (resized).jpegFB70DAF4-40DA-4EE0-960A-459EC8243331 (resized).jpegFB70DAF4-40DA-4EE0-960A-459EC8243331 (resized).jpeg
#27 11 months ago

Case done. I’ll upload it to thingiverse in a bit. It’s a super tight fit so you would need to wire your setup exactly how I have it pictured above.

EDFFDA37-8734-4E51-B175-E6AEE07219DE (resized).jpegEDFFDA37-8734-4E51-B175-E6AEE07219DE (resized).jpeg

05DA85B9-C06F-4A74-89BE-B624121B7144 (resized).jpeg05DA85B9-C06F-4A74-89BE-B624121B7144 (resized).jpeg

38E8E9C4-66A1-4F45-8B23-F7CEF468BF15 (resized).jpeg38E8E9C4-66A1-4F45-8B23-F7CEF468BF15 (resized).jpeg

39C07617-BF4E-43A7-9A29-11B88BE4E1EB (resized).jpeg39C07617-BF4E-43A7-9A29-11B88BE4E1EB (resized).jpeg

#28 11 months ago

All Done. Haven’t played with the light show settings much but it’s pretty sick!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsW6HaQOCTp/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

noysboy Any suggestions on what sound "modes" you like to use?

#29 11 months ago

Looks great!

#30 11 months ago

For modes, I like the gravi ones...mixed with the pixel one. Since each segment can be a different effect, you can do some crazy stuff.

I have 10 presets, then have an 11th preset that randomly picks one of the 10, every 60 seconds. So it really changes things up throughout a game.

#31 11 months ago
Quoted from noysboy:

For modes, I like the gravi ones...mixed with the pixel one. Since each segment can be a different effect, you can do some crazy stuff.
I have 10 presets, then have an 11th preset that randomly picks one of the 10, every 60 seconds. So it really changes things up throughout a game.

Thanks for the ideas!

#33 11 months ago

tagging for later!
awesome mod!!! cheers

3 months later
#34 7 months ago

Hi guys , any of you found a way to have a mode active when there is no sound in attract mode ??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,286 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-fake-expression-lighting-for-foo-fighters-pro-and-other-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.