IMG_20180601_125204 (resized).jpg
Caddy Shack Translite before install (resized).jpg
file (resized).jpeg
20190116_074913 (resized).jpg
20181126_182311 (resized).jpg
20181012_142516 (resized).jpg
Laser Ball fin (2) (resized).jpg
IMG_7653 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zimjoe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Edit: Just a note up top. Let's use this to share artwork for new designs. Let's contribute and make stuff available for other pinsiders to use. This isn't just for Gottlieb games

I have a few old Gottlieb System 80b games. Custom artwork can really fix one of their biggest flaws, the translite. Some alt translites look good, but most are a paste up of crap found on the web.

There is a custom translite for Genesis that really inspired me. It used custom artwork and was pretty attractive. I managed to get a copy of the tiff to print it off, but I would love to find the original so I could change the text. There are a few different version of this artwork floating around. Ask and I'm sure someone will answer
Genesis SampleGenesis Sample

Getting these printed locally can be difficult. I order them off of the web at http://www.printmoz.com/ (I found them, because Vid posted their link). Their backlit posters are nice and thick with dark colors and a glossy finish. I have also used these for video game marquees. Gottlieb translites are $30 and video game marquees are $15. I try and bundle stuff to keep shipping reasonable.

Minimum resolution needed is about 150 dpi. The Genesis translite is 25x20 inches.

#2 6 years ago

Raven is a game that has suffered when it comes to translites. I strongly dislike the pin-up girl versions. In my opinion, they look pretty bad and I wouldn't have one in my gameroom.

There is one I do like that is taken from the inside of a helicopter. Of course, this is a screen shot from the game Call of Duty with an "Operation Raven" logo slapped on. I found the original Hi-Res screen shot and produced a new version. I used the original logo instead of the "Operation Raven" logo. I doubt the person selling these on ebay has the legal right to reproduce it.
ravenSMall (resized).pngravenSMall (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

Instead of completely changing the flavor of the game, I want to have the original translites redone, but in a nice looking way. Here is a first stab at Raven with the artwork redrawn. Next up will either be Genesis or Victory.

From this to this. This artwork, I own and will make available to anyone not selling it.
Image2 (resized).jpgImage2 (resized).jpg
RavenBg (resized).pngRavenBg (resized).png

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Will they print a graphic on glass for a backglass look?

No, they just print on sticker and poster materials. Good enough for a translite, but not a backglass.

Quoted from FNwoz:

I would gladly pay or help in anyway I can on an alternate for #Laser War. Mine is toast and I really would rather not buy another considering it's the weakest part of the game. Seems prime for an easy upgrade.

That is a backglass with ink and a back mask. This can be faked with vinyl window sign material, but it doesn't look as good. That said, it is better than nothing. You will have to publicly ask for art and hope someone steps up. We can't redistribute original art. That said, the community could create an alternate look design.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You might as well assume that SOMEBODY will sell it, unless you intend to attach a creative commons licence with a no-sell clause and actually try to enforce it (good luck with that..).

All we have here is shame I won't enforce, but I will make it easy to undercut bad resellers. There are some great creators here on pinside and I like what they do. The bad actors that sell stolen art or bad copies are a common enemy to all. I just want to make methods clear and any free art available to those that want it.

Quoted from stpcore:

Ive helped Malenko with printing his alternate SF2 translite

If I still had a SF2, I would get one of those. It looks awesome. I know it irritated Malenko that someone was selling an inferior copy for more money.

Quoted from stpcore:

Translites are $55 shipped if in the US and I'm confident on the quality. To be clear...I do the printing in-house and im not outsourcing to another business.

That is a great price. I can send you the art work I have and just have people contact you for prints? I just want to give people options. Any discount for multiple prints in the same shipping container

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

PM me when it's convenient and I'll print one of your translites anf ship it to you for free as a sample. That way you can see how the quality measures up. I'd be happy to work together on this.

OK, will do!

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I like it. Has a raw comic book style to it.

That's what I wanted. It keeps the intent of the backglass, but makes it less lame

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from hepgeek:

Very timely, since I just picked up a Genesis with a severely faded original translite. I've been debating, and think I like your version of the alt translite better than the heavily-purple version.

To be clear, this isn't "My" version. This originally showed up on a French language pinball site in 2012 https://www.flipperfrance.com/threads/genesis-la-cr%C3%A9ature.8759/ . It made the rounds here on Pinside https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alt-translite-genesis#post-1624714 until a fellow pinsider passed it on to me.

The version I received had the film area reworked with a single image that was darker. I liked the original better, but I didn't have the original art so I added 2 scenes from the film. My changes have the scenes going in the correct direction, but the original looks better

I also created a new black mask to block light in the black areas. The original artwork had one, but I didn't receive that. I haven't printed the mask yet to try it, but it should work. Of course the mask is probably wrong for the new scenes on the film.

Just PM me and I am happy to share. That said, I'm sure stpcore would be happy to print one off for you. I don't think there is any dispute over the art; it kinda has no home unless some guy named Nawak shows up and asserts rights.

2 weeks later
#16 6 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

This might be a good candidate for a fun creative challenge?

It's very Indiana Jones. Do you have art skills or are you looking for ideas? I have bare minimal skills. I was able to redraw a logo and act as "art director", but I had to get help with drawing a new picture of Raven.

#18 6 years ago

I got the new Raven translite from stpcore and it looks amazing. My pictures don't do it justice. The print looks a little dark when it is sitting on a desk or in the machine while it is off. When it is backlit it really pops.

My pictures don't really show the color properly. The gun belt is quite bright and really draws the eye. One huge difference when comparing this print to similar things I have done at PrintMoz.com is how dark the blacks are. These colors and the black areas don't look washed out at all.

All lit upAll lit up

IMG_20170622_185424551 (resized).jpgIMG_20170622_185424551 (resized).jpg

stpcore sent me this print at no charge so I could see his work. The review is my reaction to the work. I will be buying from him in the future.

If you want one of these feel free to hit him up. He can chime in with what he is charging for printing and mailing. I'm not making money off of these; the artwork is my little contribution to the Raven owners of the world

1 year later
#32 5 years ago
Quoted from curtobi4:

I made some changes to the alternate Genesis translite to make it more closely match the one made by Nawak. The movie photos are a little different, but I think it came out pretty good.

This did come out nice!

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Cool, but still don’t care for the logo, it reminds me of the band Genesis too much... looks like album art, do you have the assets to be able to change the logo entirely?

I don't know anyone that does. Someone will have to redraw the the top to remove the letters and lightning.

4 weeks later
#39 5 years ago
Quoted from robm:

I do have some photos of an original glass, but not super high quality

Someone has to have a scan of this. With Google Drive, it's free and easy to share files like this (via PM obviously).

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

Is it possible to make your own mirrored translights. Which printing house would you go through?

I don't think anyone has a good DIY solution for this. I had a God of Mars and the maker had used mirror film for car windows. It looked OK, but it would be a pain to cut and apply. There are some spray mirror solutions that might work with careful masking, but that would also be a bit more work.

7 months later
#60 4 years ago

That Raven Translite looks good! How was it printed?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zimjoe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-custom-translites?tu=zimjoe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.