• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9344323E-DB62-4B85-870A-09585D2F6545 (resized).jpeg
0AE1B093-39CE-4CE8-8A62-CDA991B3DB0D (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

For anyone who would like to turn their music pin into a live concert experience.

Disclaimer: I am not an EE. While my setup has worked reliably, I cannot make any guarantees for how safe and sound these instructions will translate to your application. There are likely way more sensible and elegant solutions that people much smarter than me would recommend. Thus, doing your electrical homework is recommended and otherwise attempt at your own risk.

Acknowledgements: thanks to wayout440 for helping me settle on the optocoupler for triggering

Parts needed:

- Stage lights: different models would likely work as long as they have a “sound-activated” feature. Here is one like the ones I used: https://www.amazon.com/Betopper-Professional-Activated-Master-Slave-Restaurant/dp/B074FFJ165/ref=sr_1_5

- wire: 20 gauge is probably sufficient

- optocoupler: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4N35 (get some extras. They’re cheap)

- resistor: values may vary based on your setup but for mine a 220ohm 2W did the job

- some type of bread board to make your connections. I used a cheap one from Radio Shack (RIP)

Assembly:

One of the lights will be selected as the Master. You will need to open up the device to get to the microphone trigger on the device’s PCB. The photo shows the board that I pulled from my unit. I just unplugged the mic connector. You will need to connect wires to the + and - mic terminals. In my case I just soldered them to the pins on the back of the board.
The wires will connect to your optocoupler chip as shown in the diagram.

For the input side you will need to select a flasher to use as a trigger. The flasher will be wired in parallel to the trigger input to the optocoupler as shown in the diagram. The resistor is installed in series and will limit the current from the flasher signal so as not to fry the optocoupler LED. The resistor value will affect the sensitivity of the trigger so having some different values on hand might be useful.

The stage lights will come with a DMX cable that you will use to pair them.

0AE1B093-39CE-4CE8-8A62-CDA991B3DB0D (resized).png0AE1B093-39CE-4CE8-8A62-CDA991B3DB0D (resized).png9344323E-DB62-4B85-870A-09585D2F6545 (resized).jpeg9344323E-DB62-4B85-870A-09585D2F6545 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

Never seen that before
-Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-concert-light-topper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.