(Topic ID: 217520)

DIY - Coil Winding Machine

By zene10

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I am considering buying a Surfers machine and a friend cautioned me about the zipper flipper coils being unobtainium if there is an issue.

A search here on pinside brought up two relevant topics:

Anyone do custom coil winding?

and

Coil Winding Question

For impossible to find coils the options seem to be work with APB enterprises APB enterprises or wind the coil yourself.

This morning an Instructables popped up with a Do It Yourself Coil Winding Machine, that seems to be a viable alternative to using a drill.

#2 5 years ago

The antique radio guys like to use a Moreco "Coilmaster" hand operated coil winding machine. Typically find those on ebay:

ebay.com link: Coilmaster Moreco Inc Coil Winding Machine

Ebay is also a good place to find other hand operated coil winding machines:

ebay.com link: U S Solid Coil Winder Manual Electric Coil Winding Machine NZ 1 US Shipping

ebay.com link: NZ 2 Manual Automatic Coil Hand Winding Machine Winder CE Two Speeds USA Stock

#3 5 years ago

I made one from a windshield wiper gearmotor i found at a surplus sales place (American Science and Surplus, Milwaukee), some wood, tubing, drywall screws and various bits from my toolbox and junk box. I even found a turns counter and did not have to count. Less than 20 bucks. Get creative!

Don C.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from zene10:

This morning an Instructables popped up with a Do It Yourself Coil Winding Machine, that seems to be a viable alternative to using a drill.

This seems really flimsy and would only be good for really thin wire. The normal wire of pinball coils is much thicker and that contraption would not have enough torque.

I use a old hand drill to wind pinball coils. A long M10 bolt+nut holds the coil former

2 years later
    #5 3 years ago

Where would you get the plastic spools from to put the coil on?

#6 3 years ago

I designed one, and print it with a 3d printed. Largest drawback of 3d printing is that the core need to be thicker as the original. So it takes a bit more wire to wind 800 turns compared to the originals.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-coil-winding-machine?hl=boy141 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.