(Topic ID: 306614)

DIY Bally MPU tester

By Andre_in_NL

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

continu_tester (resized).jpg
    tester_1 (resized).jpg
    frontend (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi,

Some time ago I made a Bally MPU tester for MPU 35 and MPU 17.
    It can be helpful for repairing locked Bally MPU's

It is made of commodity stuff like: resistors, dupont wires , arduino mega, and a “led and key” module which can be bought from various sources.
    Hopefully it can be of use to other people for repairing Bally MPU's

It is on github: https://github.com/rdrdphi/bally-MPU-tester

Functions of the tester:

•Do advanced continuity check of :

o The mc6800 socket
    o The two pia sockets
    o The mc6810 socket
    o The 5101 socket
    o The U2 eprom socket
    o The U6 eprom socket

•Simple logic analyzer function to check the startup via a (time and state with mnemonics ). Sampling rates approx 500ns.

•Test correct operation of and clock generation Phi2

•Test ram chips U7 (MC6810), U8 (5101)

•Test display interrupt generator (U12)

•Check the various logic gates IC’s:

o U14 : CD4049
    o U15 : MC3459L=7437
    o U16 : 9602
    o U17 : 74L00N
    o U18 : CD4049
    o U19 : CD 4011

•Hardware Self-test J5 (check correct wiring of the tester is correct)

•Check for stuck data bits

Kind regards,
    Andre

frontend (resized).jpgfrontend (resized).jpgtester_1 (resized).jpgtester_1 (resized).jpgcontinu_tester (resized).jpgcontinu_tester (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Nice work! I might try building one in the new year.

BTW, small thing in the manual at 5.19, the Display Interrupt Generator on Stern MPU100, Bally-17 and Bally-35 (6-digit games) is around 320Hz.
    Bally-35 with 7-digit games run around 430Hz
    Stern MPU200 games run around 400Hz.

The Display Interrupt Generator frequency is dependent on the resistor value fitted at the factory on the MPU board at R21.

See some MPU board pictures here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/two-bits-mpu-with-flickering-strobing-displays-#post-5408121

#3 2 years ago

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.
    I keep learning about the bally boards.
    I changed it in the manual (and in the arduino software).

#4 2 years ago

Cheers,
    Do you see any reason why the smaller Arduino Mega 2560 Pro could not be used?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002641898410.html

The LED and key thingy seems to be commonly referred to as a "TM1638 Key Display module"

#5 2 years ago

The smaller Arduino Mega 2560 Pro could also be used i think. I see no reason why i could not be used.

The reason I used the Arduino MEGA 2560 is that I had used it on other projects and reused the hardware, and I like the output pinning arangement.

1 week later
    #6 2 years ago

That looks pretty cool, i think i have a Arduino somewhere, now i have finally a reason to make something with it. What's the wattage on the resistors?

#7 2 years ago

about the Resistor Wattage:

The resistors are to protect the arduino and the MPU in case of a short on the MPU or the arduino shield.
    resistors of 1/4 Watt will be sufficient.

#8 2 years ago

I have trouble finding decent 340 Ohm resistors where the leads aren't super thin so they work in bread boards - but 330 ones seem to be plentiful. Is that a good substitute or should i go up to 360 or does it indeed have to be 340 exactly? If it is OK to substitute, would I need to account for that anywhere else?

#9 2 years ago

Good question. I did not uniform the resistor valeus after I was done with the project. For the manual I just wrote down the resistors that I used. Not thinking about why I used that value at that time.

Using 330 in stead of the 340ohm and 390ohm will also work.
    Using 300 in stead of the 340ohm and 390ohm will also work.

The "low" value of 300ohm valeus for the datalines are needed, because the datalines have pullups of 3.6k.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-bally-mpu-tester- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.