Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Parisno
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1867BDAC-6CCE-4EE2-9CDF-9E91D2DBF083 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6802 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6798 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6799 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6802 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6801 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

Sorry to resurrect this, but I think it’s worthwhile. I just wired in a power supply using the above instructions (thanks!). Measures 13v DC at my available plug. But I’m hoping to use it for my colordmd which seems to be taxing the system. I notice the colordmd plug has three wires where my supply only has two outputs. Is one a ground? How do I wire it to power the lcd?

Thanks

1867BDAC-6CCE-4EE2-9CDF-9E91D2DBF083 (resized).jpeg1867BDAC-6CCE-4EE2-9CDF-9E91D2DBF083 (resized).jpeg
    #9 5 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

Glad this thread helped. If that is a plug to the standard AUX power port on STERN games, then the three wires are GND, +5V, and +12V. GND is at the point side of the plug. Different power supplies supply different voltages and currents. Did the one you get provide both +5V and +12V?

Yes, that is the six plug Y-connector that came with the colordmd. I thought it runs on 12v based on what i read. Which is which on the other two wires?

No, the ps I have has only 12v as far as I can tell.

And thanks for the thread and the response! I’m a bit of an electrical newb.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

I’m pretty sure you need a power supple with both 5V and 12V like amazon.com link »
    The 5V is what is used to power the display.

Purchased.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-adding-an-external-power-supply-to-a-stern-samwhitestar?tu=paynemic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.