(Topic ID: 67366)

DMD Extender Discussion (ColorDMD Alternative)

By Crash

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 730 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PohodaVole
  • Topic is favorited by 213 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
IMAG0365_(resized).jpg
20160317_174701_(resized).jpg
20160315_170305_(resized).jpg
20160314_092007_(resized).jpg
20160314_210946_(resized).jpg
20160314_091953_(resized).jpg
20160314_092021_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_2_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_1_(resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto_2015-12-29_um_14.11.29_(resized).png
411300.jpg
20150711_064903.jpg
20150711_065112.jpg
20150710_224951.jpg
IMG_20150624_213437785.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Ironically enough I had my last working DMD board start acting up on me today. We tried to repair it but the board has disintegrated too much from the years of heat. But of course the logic section is still good meaning it will work with a low voltage display. So after seeing what winteriscoming did with his JP we said, "What the heck?" and decided to outfit our Addams Family with a "poor man's color DMD." Winteriscoming, thanks a heck of a lot for disclosing the details of your build. I have absolutely no experience working with laptop displays and how the controller must be programmed and wired to work with a specific brand of panel. Listing the exact parts you used saves me a lot of time and trouble. Plus, your work looks awesome!! The Rasberry Pi arrived today, just waiting on the Extender, converter board, and LCD. Man this is going to be one sweet mod...

Raspberry Pi Model A+ Board RAM 256M CPU BCM2835 ARM11 made in the UK: $28
ebay.com link: Raspberry Pi Model A Board RAM 256M CPU BCM2835 ARM11 made in the UK

DMD Extender board from Dr. Pinball: $100
http://www.drpinball.co.uk/howtobuy.htm

HDMI DVI VGA Audio controller board for 15.6" B156HW01 LP156WF1 1920x1080 lcd: $30
ebay.com link: HDMI DVI VGA Audio controller board for 15 6 B156HW01 LP156WF1 1920x1080 lcd

NEW LG PHILIPS LP156WF1(TL)(B2) LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 15.6: $58
ebay.com link: NEW LG PHILIPS LP156WF1 TL B2 LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 15 6

If you have Maverick, Frankenstein, Baywatch, or Batman Forever you will need this display instead:

LAPTOP LCD LED SCREEN 17.3" FOR LG LP173WF1(TL)(C1) LP173WF1-TLC1: $60
ebay.com link: itm

I have written a brief connectivity guide for large Sega displays, but it will work with any setup as long as you have the correct parts for your game and configure the software to use the correct machine manufacturer setting. The new version of the Extender uses Raspberry Pi model A plus/B plus now.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/10#post-2237459

I will also be following Herg's Tron conversion for guidance: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-colordmd-installation-in-stern-sam-tron

image-684.jpgimage-684.jpg

Update! ALY has written a fantastic setup guide to supplement my instructions.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colorized-dmd-with-dmd-extender-diy

And HighProtein has made a great setup video explaining the entire assembly process.

#3 10 years ago

About $260, including a $7 micro USB 5v power supply and $2 heatsinks for the Raspberry. Considering this setup has a much longer life than a plasma DMD, doesn't use problematic high voltage parts, and is just over half the cost of a ColorDMD, it's a very feasible price.

#7 10 years ago

The display panel arrived today. And boy it's thin!

image-642.jpgimage-642.jpg
image-583.jpgimage-583.jpg
image-899.jpgimage-899.jpg

#11 10 years ago

Is there any good reason WHY we shouldn't touch it?

#14 10 years ago

AC adapter for the Pi:

image-336.jpgimage-336.jpg
#18 10 years ago

Well mainly the adapter is because of the micro USB connector. And yes this particular panel is LED backlit. Much more reliable in the long term.

#21 10 years ago

Finally, the Extender! Just waiting on the signal converter and heatsinks.

image-439.jpgimage-439.jpg
#25 10 years ago

I'm going to use an external 12v supply due to the existing supply being unregulated and taxed enough as it is anyway. Thanks A LOT for the detailed guide David, will definitely be following that one! I think these Sega LCD conversions will catch on pretty quickly.

#26 10 years ago

David is your 128x32 note going to recommend the parts listed here? Using this particular controller eliminates the need for an HDMI to DVI adapter.

#29 10 years ago

Teeny tiny heatsinks arrived today.

image-995.jpgimage-995.jpg

#30 10 years ago

And at last, the controller board!

image-935.jpgimage-935.jpg
#31 10 years ago

image-478.jpgimage-478.jpg

image-559.jpgimage-559.jpg
#33 10 years ago

Tested it out on the project LW3 I'm working on. Works great, except I didn't have a PC to change it to Data East mode. I'm going to tweak some settings including resolution tomorrow and will report back. Oh, and the backlit panel creates a nice glow sitting on the glass.

image-456.jpgimage-456.jpg
image-989.jpgimage-989.jpg
image-738.jpgimage-738.jpg

#34 10 years ago

Update, fixed the sync issue (game mode was set to Bally/Williams by default). I started testing it in LW3 to get a feel for the colorizing. I'm very impressed by how easy this is to do, just run the program or edit the text file. I tried upping the resolution on the Extender program but that only draws the image closer to a 1 aspect ratio, which means it doesn't fill the screen if I up the resolution from the default 320x96 (I increased it by 50% to 480x144). Setting it to 2x or higher throws an error, so there is a limit to how high you can go relative to the source resolution, which is 1680x1050. So in short, don't bother changing the resolution. Can the main image buffer be improved to show more round, sharp dots?

I also noticed a bug with color accuracy. When I set a plane to orange (FFCC00 I think?) it shows up as pure yellow on the LCD. Also, when adjusting blue the program appears to bump up the brightness quite a bit, so I have to overcompensate to get an accurate color. Is this a known bug? I know the software is in its early stages at v0.7.

And as far as the LW3 colorization goes I think I have it pretty nailed down, using blue for any of the 3 lit planes looks awful in contrast to red and orange, so like the cabinet I used a dark, subtle blue background color for the "black" setting (not the actual background color setting in the program). Also I think I'll make the red a little less saturated. I think it looks pretty nice, but yellow doesn't show up that often. I forgot the SD card but I'll post the settings as well as the LCD settings for my controller board.

fr_1176.jpgfr_1176.jpg
fr_1177.jpgfr_1177.jpg
fr_1178.jpgfr_1178.jpg
fr_1170.jpgfr_1170.jpg
fr_1171.jpgfr_1171.jpg

#37 10 years ago

The black levels aren't any worse than what you would expect from a typical LCD monitor. It's really not that bad once you line up your eyes when in a playing stance. You are standing slightly above the screen but the vertical field of view is still pretty good, keep in mind these are laptop displays so they are designed to remain visible when looking down on them even if you have the lit partially closed.

I'll try my best to get a square straight-on picture to give the best idea of contrast.

#39 10 years ago

Here are a few spot on photos. I also tweaked the red and yellow to be a bit lighter, this looks great and I'll be using it for LW3 eventually. Yes, the project is still about TAF, but it's on location at the moment. So anyone interested, my official Lethal Weapon 3 color palette!

colors.pngcolors.png

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG

I have the picture settings for this screen as well, be sure to set aspect ratio to 16:10.

fr_1185.jpgfr_1185.jpg

Also, I noticed the board tends to blur multiple planes together when stuff scrolls across the screen, leaving a trail of dim pixels (in this case yellow). It's somewhat inconsistent as you notice it didn't start doing it until a couple of seconds into the credits. Happens probably 80% of the time.

fr_1184.jpgfr_1184.jpg

#42 10 years ago

Sorry try the video now. YouTube being dumb.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

So are you going in and colorizing every dot? Looks f'ing brilliant!

No, the Extender lets you set colors for each of the 4 shades of dots. But thanks for the comment, it's amazing how much a few minutes of tinkering can make a game LOOK like it's been fully colorized. That's the beauty of this setup!

#44 10 years ago

The Linux kernel and program file are both on the SD card, all you need to do is plug it in and warm up the Pi (pun intended, mmmmmm). I'm splicing the 5v connector at the DMD controller board on LW3, and will probably do the same thing in Addams Family. The 12v power for the signal controller board will use a seperate 12v 5a brick.

#47 10 years ago

I don't see any ghosting, kind of hard to tell with the frame blending issue at the moment. We'll be keeping the THING inserts in tact (using LEDs obviously due to heat) and using plexiglass to mount the board and stuff behind the display panel. It will stick up quite a bit above the speaker panel but that's no big deal, it just means I'll have to remove and lower the speaker panel when opening the backbox door.

I was planning on getting this together and done Monday but we've hit a snag as we don't have a 12v adapter powerful enough to supply the controller board. Those are coming from China, I doubt they will arrive next week...

#50 10 years ago

Yeah I think the ones we ordered are less than $8. That seems to be the going price for these.

#51 10 years ago

They shipped, just a waiting game... next pictures will be of the full installation.

#56 10 years ago

That's up to David to chime in on. I wasn't able to find a way to fix it.

#59 10 years ago

Well it would become less noticeable. I noticed the same phenomenon in WPCEdit, single frames would combine the planes between frames instead of combining the planes of the single frame.

#62 10 years ago

We did a test fit with the display and looks like it's going to work out really well. 15.6" seems like the perfect size for a 128x32 DMD replacement. We are using a piece of plexiglass 16" across and just a few inches above the top lip of the speaker panel. The plexi will Velcro behind the LCD and we will cut a hole for the LVSD harness. This wil make it easy to remove the panel from the plexi sheet if it ever fails. The boards will mount to the back side of the sheet using adhesive loop feet that we will run zip ties through to the mounting holes on the boards. The LCD fits just within the spacing of the threaded screw mounts. It will mount above the THING lights. Also, we'll be adding some foam U-molding around the LCD bezel for protection.

Because of heat the incadescents behind the THING letters and the blinking lamp behind Grandmama on the bottom right of the translite will be swapped with LEDs.

#66 10 years ago

The power bricks came in today so we put everything together and it looks REALLY good, pictures and video of the installation tomorrow!

On another note I paid closer attention to the fading/trailing problem and I believe it's an issue with the software itself. It's happening a lot more often than I originally thought. For example, with scrolling text that is a single color. It can't be a plane synchronization issue because there is only a single plane being drawn, so it appears as though a couple of lines of the previous frame are being ghosted as yellow and orange pixels. In this case I set red to 100%, yellow to 90%, and orange to 75%. So there is a trail of 90% and 75% pixels behind scrolling frames of 100% dots, regardless of whether or not 90%/75% dots were drawn to begin with. It's not a feature of the game to reduce DMD harshness/flicker as it doesn't happen in PinMAME.

example1.pngexample1.png
example2.pngexample2.png

#68 10 years ago

Update! The install went very smooth. If you're installing it in this game you will need to cut a hole in your wood/plexiglass to accomodate the connector for the THING lamp board. The ability to adjust the height to the pixel is crucial when doing DMD replacements, big thanks to David for making such a great product and writing good software. A 1 foot HDMI cable fits perfectly between the Pi and controller board (it was unplugged in the picture).

image-239.jpgimage-239.jpg
image-147.jpgimage-147.jpg
image-957.jpgimage-957.jpg

image-166.jpgimage-166.jpg
#69 10 years ago

I couldn't be happier with the results. Decided to leave the background at black since gray looks weird with the little light that shines through being an LCD. I was concerned it would be a little too dark but being an LED LCD panel the brightness is actually on par with a DMD (maybe marginally darker but you would really have to look closely).

And while the fading issue is still there, it makes flashing text look pretty sweet as it kind of provides a rainbow effect.

image-514.jpgimage-514.jpgimage-855.jpgimage-855.jpg
image-536.jpgimage-536.jpg
image-194.jpgimage-194.jpg
image-129.jpgimage-129.jpg
image-434.jpgimage-434.jpg

#71 10 years ago

Nope just for our games. Prototype setup, we'll be using a small cheaper controller board next time as the one David is using looks pretty nice. That will be crucial for Data East games as the extra space would be needed to mount the DMD driver board which normally piggybacks onto the display.

#74 10 years ago

With the cheaper controller board it can probably be done for less ($250). We're at about $260-$270 in with this one. And the best part is it's running off a "dead" DMD driver board. Dead as in the high voltage section is so badly fried that it's impossible to rebuild. But the kicker here is the low voltage logic circuit is still in tact and working. It's completely seperate from the HV circuit.

Use my exact color codes with the same display set to 30% brightness, 100% contrast, and 50% saturation and you'll get the same results.

#79 10 years ago

Got a good video, I'll post it in a couple hours.

#81 10 years ago

Doctor Pinball said he's using a cheaper board I believe. He didn't specify what the brand/model number is in his application note. It's a DVI to LVDS converter so the only difference compatibility wise is you would need an HDMI to DVI adapter.

#82 10 years ago

#85 10 years ago

All you need is the Raspberry Model A. I noticed the listing for that screen has ended. Since winteriscoming and I have both been getting screens from that guy maybe he will list more. Otherwise how many of those particular 15.6" displays would he sell? They are designed to be replacement laptop screens so I would say we have broadened the market on these and increased the demand for LCDs.

#87 10 years ago

I watched some more videos of the Extender being used as a DMD and the fading issue happens ONLY when using custom colors. So it is not a plane synchronization problem, but rather something getting out of sync in the colorization code. When using auto generate for the color palette are different functions used to draw the pixels? Compare the results in this video using both grayscale and colors. It's definitely fixable in software.

#91 10 years ago

It should work I would think. The doctor lights below the DMD are no different than the THING lights on Addams Family. Please keep us posted!

#92 10 years ago

We crunched some numbers on a Sega large DMD kit and to do that would be about $270. We will be doing this relatively soon on Frankenstein which is currently on location. I will list the parts right now for anyone interested:

Model A Raspberry Pi: $32 ebay.com link: RASPBERRY PI MODEL A 256MB RAM LATEST VERSION Made In

Extender: $100 http://www.drpinball.co.uk/howtobuy.htm

$80 LAPTOP LCD LED SCREEN 17.3" FOR LG LP173WF1(TL)(C1) LP173WF1-TLC1: ebay.com link: 711 53200 19255 0

$34 M.NT68676 VGA+DVI+HDMI+AUDIO LCD Controller Board Kit fr LP156WF4-SLB1 1920x1080: ebay.com link: 711 53200 19255 0

HDMI cable and adapter: Less than $5
12v 6a power supply: $6
Plexiglass and hardware: About $10

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Resolution would be fine as long as the size is right, but I think the lower resolution ones might have worse viewing angles.

Plus the Pi puts out a 1680x1050 signal. Even if a monitor that low would accept that type of resolution I have to think it wouldn't look good.

#101 10 years ago

Inverter supplies power for flourescent backlit displays. Those are less common these days so I would avoid it. All the panels I have been looking at use LED backlights.

#103 10 years ago

Changed title to "DIY 128x32 / 192x64 Color LCD" to reflect info on Sega displays.

#105 10 years ago

I don't think it needs a new thread considering everything is the same except the display size. I want to keep things uniform and discussion centralized.

#109 10 years ago

Question for anyone that's used this controller: Evidently there is a voltage jumper with options for 3.3v, 5v, and 12v. It is set to 3.3v by default and we are powering it with a 12v supply. Does this need to be changed to 12v? Reason being is ever since we put this together the regulator on that controller board is getting quite warm, almost too hot to touch even with a heatsink.

#111 10 years ago

Well the regulator is running at about 70C IIRC which is well within limits of the component spec correct? Also since this board is configured specifically to work with this type of display it would make more sense that that is the screen voltage, not the input voltage.

Also, for documentation's sake I listed the exact name of the panel and controller I used in the original post.

#113 10 years ago

It's been running 24/7 since Friday afternoon and has been working perfectly. Temp reading in the regulator today is 76.6C. I'd say that's well within spec especially considering its been running over 3 straight days without hiccups.

#114 10 years ago

D'oh, another display died today. Looks like White Water is next, Sega kit still on the back burner.

#116 10 years ago

If you haven't ordered another yet, in my JP display thread I linked to a US seller with a smaller controller board comparably priced to the one from njytouch. I'd share the link here, but I'm on my phone. I haven't done much in the way of stress testing, but got it and the RPi installed next to the DMD controller board on the back of the LCD. Kind of all packed in, but they all fit.

Wow these things are cheap! The one I found before is $37 and is on par with the same size. All you would need is an HDMI to DVI adapter plug.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370796210733

#118 10 years ago

Uugh. Seriously?? When it rains it pours.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#123 10 years ago

Yeah we have 2.

Quoted from Erik:

Sorry to see that but you should get colordmd for TAF. It's just so awesome

I think they look awesome too but as a route op we can't justify spending that much for a drop-in replacement. A $250 kit is something we can do IF we find the money. We have over a dozen machines that will need converting at some point (some immediately as you can tell). Now if these were my home games then yeah I'd do it in a heartbeat. But an op's situation is far different from that.

#125 10 years ago

Plasmas seem like the obvious solution but in the long term they do outgas. And it's not just the 128x32 displays that helped form the decision to go LCD, it also started with an outgassing large Sega DMD (which is the last working one we have) and a burned out WPC display driver board. I bought a $15 rebuild kit and as soon as I started replacing stuff the board was literally disintegrating from 20 years of heat. It didn't take long to figure out that plasma is not a long term solution, at least not for us. That would require at least a piggyback power supply (or a new driver board altogether) not to mention a new $150 plasma to go with it, talking on a game-per-game basis. When you figure the total costs it's pretty spot-on with $250, and the benefits of modern tech (and not to mention color) is a solid investment for any route operator. And what's better is that same fried DMD board is running in my example. The logic stuff is still good. Ever since I got back into this hobby I've made quite the effort to improve our fairly bleak situation as operators. This includes minimizing costs to keep our games running for years to come, and going LCD makes a lot of sense. If it's not a DMD going out, it's a driver board or some other high voltage issue.

It looks like people are looking for an "in the middle" solution both cost-wise and functionality-wise. I think you're on to something with a more basic kit. A good price point would be around $300. I'd say go for it!

1 week later
#131 10 years ago

Waldo34 has started a Baywatch conversion, check it out:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-sega-baywatch-color-dmd-project

1 week later
#133 10 years ago

A great Lord of the Rings color palette by softwaretroll! I will be using it in Frankenstein.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-extender-update#post-1283109

2 weeks later
#140 10 years ago

Bump for visibility. Seriously, the White Water conversion isn't far off. Paying for this stuff just sucks when your route brings in $20 per machine per week.

1 week later
#141 10 years ago

Mameman how is your Doctor Who conversion coming?

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballwiz:

I just completed a Batman Forever conversion. Used your TAF color pallet to start with.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-large-dmd-issue-batman-forever

Looks great!! Though I may suggest a deeper green.

#146 10 years ago

Maybe max out the saturation setting on your display?

#147 10 years ago

A bump for prying eyes.

1 month later
#149 10 years ago

I started colorizing White Water manually to get an idea of a good palette. Here's a general idea of what it will look like. I don't have definitive results though as I don't understand how the Extender software represents the plane modulation (alternating) between dim/off, dim/med, and med/off. Honestly figuring that out would be harder than trying it 10+ times over on the bench...

whitewater1.pngwhitewater1.png
whitewater2.pngwhitewater2.png

#150 10 years ago

Also, several awesome Frankenstein shots using softwaretroll's Lord of the Rings palette:

frankie1.pngfrankie1.png frankie2.pngfrankie2.png frankie3.pngfrankie3.png frankie4.pngfrankie4.png frankie5.pngfrankie5.png frankie6.pngfrankie6.png 160145.png160145.png 160375.jpg160375.jpg
1 week later
#153 10 years ago

It's really quite easy to do...

Take screenshot (ALT+ PrtScrn) of DMD running in PinMAME with "compact display" and "double size" checked in the PinMAME options.

Install Gimp. http://www.gimp.org/
Paste into GIMP, crop DMD.
Select by color and choose a shade.
Set color to exact match to our screenshot color codes using HTML notation in color picker.
Select fill and choose "fill whole selection."
Rinse and repeat for remaining 3 colors.

2 weeks later
#157 10 years ago

Ok, White Water is DONE, and it looks SWEET! Man I didn't imagine it would turn out this good. This particular controller board has more picture and color adjustment options. I set the brightness to 45/100 and contrast to 75/100. Red, green, and blue adjustments are all 100% by default. If using this display (link included below) these may be the optimal settings to best match the colors visually when referring to the original color codes in the configuration program.

ebay.com link: 711 53200 19255 0

image.jpgimage.jpg

#158 10 years ago

Lotta pictures incoming. First the initial setup on a plexiglass sheet with weather stripping around the monitor bezel for padding. This particular game has a connector plugged into J116 so we used the included adapter plug and z connector to maintain that existing connection.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage-215.jpgimage-215.jpgimage-388.jpgimage-388.jpg

#159 10 years ago

Maxed out the contrast and wow, the LED backlit screen looks at least as bright as a plasma DMD. Really stands out!

image.jpgimage.jpg

And after final color corrections:

image-691.jpgimage-691.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image-686.jpgimage-686.jpg
image-937.jpgimage-937.jpg
image-603.jpgimage-603.jpg
image-391.jpgimage-391.jpg
image-21.jpgimage-21.jpg
image-252.jpgimage-252.jpg
image-499.jpgimage-499.jpg
image-899.jpgimage-899.jpg
image-949.jpgimage-949.jpg
image-397.jpgimage-397.jpg
image-921.jpgimage-921.jpg

#160 10 years ago

Parts links and prices updated.

#162 10 years ago

I sent Robin a message requesting a DMD Extender color palette database.

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from DoctorPinball:

Reboot of Pi on SD Card insertion - allows easier configuration without having to switch off/on the pinball

Does this mean we will be able to remove the SD card and have the program run in memory, and the Pi will reboot from the SD card when it is re-inserted?

#166 10 years ago

Thanks. The blue looks a bit overpowering in the pictures but because of the viewing angle while playing it is less noticeable. When playing it looks pretty spot on with the cabinet art background, as well as the tan and brown matching the playfield canyon colors.

#168 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrlbrwn88:

Just finished my MSF. Thinking about doing some others.

Which palette did you use?

#171 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I saw a link to the screen but I might have missed what controller you are using.

Refer back to the first post, that's where I keep all the links.

#172 10 years ago

Any thoughts on a color palette database Robin?

#175 10 years ago

Bumpuh-wump. Next in line: Frankenstein, Jurassic Park.

#183 10 years ago

It will with a 17.3" display.

#185 10 years ago

Image size is adjustable in settings, but I don't know which one. David can you give us some insight?

#189 10 years ago

This post covers it, but does not consider the cost of wiring, mounting pads, external power supply for controller board, and plexi sheet. But really there is no need to buy additional wiring as the cable to power the Extender board is included.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/2#post-1237125

#191 10 years ago

Heatsinks may not actually be needed but I would at minimum suggest a heatsink for the voltage regulator on the controller board. They can reach up to 75C which is warm. I put one on the regulator and the Pi's CPU using the kit below.

1 week later
#193 10 years ago

Go for it! You won't be disappointed.

#200 10 years ago

Display/driver combo? Do you mean LCD/controller board? If so I put all the links in the opening post in this thread.

#202 10 years ago

It is sold in the UK, and works here in the US. I am running that board in a White Water.

#209 10 years ago

Instantly.

#217 10 years ago

Definitely not right... the screen shouldn't be that bright either. You ordered the 17.3" screen and controller as specified on page 1? If so David suggested that very controller in his application note.

#220 10 years ago

I would not touch that jumper. I believe that determines the display voltage. As far as I know this particular board is configured for this particular display (and the 15.6" version of the same model). David do you have any suggestions?

#222 10 years ago

No need to apologize. Yes, in this case you need the exact board and the exact display listed in the links on the first page. Reason being is not to be nit picky, but controller boards such as these come pre programmed for a specific brand/type of display.

#223 10 years ago

For crap's sake, once when we found a nice board it goes out of stock. Links updated. Hope that bigger controller board fits with the large DMD driver board.

#230 10 years ago

I don't see why that wouldn't work, the part number is correct in the description.

#233 9 years ago

Not sure. David how could you tell?

3 weeks later
#237 9 years ago

Looks awesome man! Especially the logo. Now you have to adjust your size and position to fill the entire frame like an original plasma.

#245 9 years ago

1 week later
#248 9 years ago

Why not try it? Give us a killer color palette!

#255 9 years ago

The parts I listed on the first page will work. Links are still good.

2 weeks later
#264 9 years ago

Is that a direct video feed using a VGA capture device?

#266 9 years ago

Holy crap are you serious?? I don't even think the Smart DMD software can do that! I'll have to download it. That will make it A LOT easier to try out palettes without replacing colors manually. Plus, this can be a way to easily rip DMD animations you cannot easily summon in PinMAME or can't easily find in WPCEdit/Pinball Browser. Just glass off and start recording!

2 weeks later
#268 9 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a recording of Baywatch they can send me? I'd like to try some colors. My game is not currently working.

#270 9 years ago

Um, did you read this thread at all? Works with Sterns, cost procedure etc is written up.

#272 9 years ago

Sorry I thought it was a Stern game. Everything is summarized in the first post. People have experimented and found different stuff but the parts I listed in the opening post are all you need.

1 month later
#276 9 years ago

Insert the included SD card in a reader attached to your PC. Change the mode from Bally/Williams to Sega jumbo DMD.

1 week later
#287 9 years ago

You can't use just any panel, I would strongly suggest sticking with the parts listed in the first post or this will happen:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/5#post-1610081

#289 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I'm doing a video for youtube about this video setup on a Batman Forever soon...
» YouTube video

Is this instructional video still in the works?

#291 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball4ever:

I didn't have any issues at all with the mounting on Maverick as the speaker panel and plastic are completely flat. I remember reading where someone else had an issue with a curved speaker panel (on a Sega showcase).

I'd like to see more insight into peoples' approach with the Whitestar games. I don't think those have officially been discussed yet.

2 weeks later
#300 9 years ago

Post 300. Wow I have not been following this thread too much lately but you guys seems to have the fine tuning adjustments pretty much ironed out! Congratulations on the teamwork!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#303 9 years ago

I've posted several photos of my setups but they're pretty buried. Do an advanced thread search and filter by my name.

#313 9 years ago

Was David actually selling a kit at one point?

#332 9 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

i got 15.6 and i think you have ask him if looking for screen and he just added all in one package for me.

What was his price on the screen plus controller shipped?

1 week later
#337 9 years ago

Updated controller link. They jacked the price up to $40 and slapped on a $10 shipping fee. It's now $34 shipped.

#338 9 years ago

I'm starting a Gottlieb system 3 build for Cue Ball Wizard. Thanks to David for lowering the price of his board to $95 shipped this build will be about $230, $30 less than before. I'm gonna start working on a color palette this evening and post some screenshots.

#339 9 years ago

1.png1.png
2.png2.png
4.png4.png
5.png5.png
6.png6.png
3.png3.png

#346 9 years ago

Man that looks awesome so far. Thanks for the DMD capture file Chris. I plan on tinkering with the colors a bit myself this evening. However we really won't know what truly looks the most realistic or not until we actually try it in person on an LCD. Perhaps I will give you the palettes I try on my PC and you can give photos when testing them?

1 week later
#357 9 years ago

All the links you need are on the first page.

#360 9 years ago

To be honest I really like your original palette better. Looks much more realistic with the skin tones and the on-screen text and Baywatch logo looks like something out of a comic book. Pretty nice.

#362 9 years ago

Can you upload and PM me a link to the 1.2 software? David won't be getting orders out anytime soon evidently I don't have an updated SD card.

#364 9 years ago

Oh ok. Still it would be nice to have a copy so I can load a BIN file and try stuff out.

#366 9 years ago

He is sick at the moment, so you may not get a reply. I don't see why he would object though, it's not like you can really use the software to any degree without buying the board.

2 weeks later
#372 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

They must out of screens any other sources for these. I have a BF.
Maybe this one
ebay.com link

That's the exact part, will work great. Thanks for the find, I had missed that one! Link updated.

#376 9 years ago

Yes, and I would recommend a 1ft HDMI cable.

#378 9 years ago

I'm not sure if David has recovered from his illness. I last contacted him about a week or two ago.

#380 9 years ago

I believe at one point Pinball Life was supposedly carrying them, but they never followed through. David said he sent some stock to them and when I called they were acting like they had no idea what I was talking about... granted that was many months ago but I doubt anything has really materialized with distributors.

#387 9 years ago

Yeah like I said, if you ask them about it they'll just look at you funny.

#392 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

I just got the same reply.
Terry @PBL said that he would think about carrying the product if David would approach him with it.
It would be nice to have state side stock.

Something's not adding up here. David at one point told me he sent stock to PBL, and (if memory serves me correctly) they should have, at one point, actually had stock. Perhaps the whole thing was a misunderstanding.

1 week later
#395 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hey guys -
Been looking into this for my TZ as well, since the display won't last until the end of the year. (A good thing, since the PF is going to be restored..)
Two questions that, after reading this huge thread, I wasn't clear on -
- I see mentions of 15.x" and 17.x" screens. Am I correct in assuming that the 15.x" ones are for the 128x32, and the 17.x" ones are for Sega's larger version? (So in my TZ, I'd need a 15.x" one..)
- Color Pallettes - Am I correct in saying that unlike ColorDMD, there's ONE pallette for the whole game, and can't be adjusted for specific 'scenes' or animations?
Thanks guys -
Me.

One, yes that is correct. 15.6" displays for 128x32 DMD windows and 17.3" displays fit 192x64 windows. Two, yes. The palette is fixed unless you reprogram the SD card with the included software.

However, that's actually a brilliant idea. David do you think it would be possible to somehow implement dynamic palettes based on the current scene that is being displayed? Perhaps give users the option to build an index marking the beginning and end of a certain scene using a BIN file recording, then write some code to detect the first frame of that scene and switch palettes? Given how powerful the hardware is for its size I would think sampling/hashing the pixel data and comparing those hashes to the index on a frame by frame basis wouldn't be too much for the Pi's 700MHz CPU (it's as powerful in terms of clock speed as the original XBOX).

1 week later
#402 9 years ago

I don't believe there is Capcom support.

1 week later
#410 9 years ago

A standard model A or B (not plus variants) will work just fine. Given how many tens of thousands of uses the original Raspberry Pi still has, supply for the immediate future won't be a problem.

#412 9 years ago

Guys just so there is no confusion, prices and availability for parts listed on the first page change all the time. I list the complete part numbers/model numbers/listing titles and prices at the time I found them. I see that people have been looking elsewhere when the links get stale and that's great. Just keep in mind that the parts I list are just suggestions and not end all be all; stick with the same part numbers (excluding B1,D3, or whatever after the display model numbers) and you'll be good.

#414 9 years ago

Reason I listed a model B is because I couldn't find a new model A at a reasonable price.

#416 9 years ago

Well it appears that the Raspberry Pi model A and model B are no longer in production. One of the changes to the new model is an updated GPIO port, which is used to interface the DMD Extender board and supply power from the game. It has been changed from a 26 pin header to a 40 pin header. David, what would be required to add support to the new plus models? Can a simple ribbon cable adapter be used or would a complete redesign of your Extender board be needed?

Here is a blog post from their site. Does it tell you anything?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=82169

#418 9 years ago

Where did you find new model A's still for sale? eBay and Amazon only turned up a single listing for a model B, and their site doesn't even list model A/B in the store.

#420 9 years ago

I did see that one. Refurbished would work in a pinch should there be any supply issues in the future (or like you say, just get a GPIO adapter cable for the plus boards which is still more expensive).

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2014/07/22/new-products-downgrade-gpio-ribbon-cable-for-raspberry-pi-model-b-40-pins-to-26-pins-gpio-ribbon-cable-for-raspberry-pi-model-b-40-pins/

#422 9 years ago

Oh look, an actual update from ME! We just finished up the Cue Ball Wizard conversion and it turned out sharp! Everything came together pretty smooth. The 12V 6A power brick used to power the controller can easily be snaked down from the backbox into the cabinet and tied off to the main harness. This connects to the service outlet. I originally went with orange as the medium shade (to compliment the yellow) but then changed it to burgundy red to better match the playfield art and plastics. To be honest the dim shade IS used in the opening scene where the wizard goes to shoot, but in practice it really isn't noticeable so I didn't bother adjusting it any further since my initial testing. For the background I stuck with the initial idea of pool table felt, and comparing the background to the green on the playfield, it really blends in.

More weirdness with color representation, though. This part adds a lot of trial and error since some colors (at least to me) don't seem to be accurately represented on-screen vs. what I see in the configuration software. Not really an "issue" per say, just a minor inconvenience.

image-424.jpgimage-424.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
cueballwizard.pngcueballwizard.png
image-720.jpgimage-720.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image-510.jpgimage-510.jpg
image-196.jpgimage-196.jpg
image-157.jpgimage-157.jpg
image-31.jpgimage-31.jpg

#424 9 years ago

Awesome! ALY started a thread regarding his Twilight Zone as well.

#427 9 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Wouldn't it be easier to use the DMD extender's power out to supply the 12V to the LCD controller? Then you wouldn't need to use an external power supply.

I originally started doing this but ran into issues with the 12v power supply on past machines. So a $5 brick that supplies plenty of power does the trick. If I remember correctly the controller itself draws over 3A of current, pretty hefty.

#429 9 years ago

Well for one I had a Sega display driver board fail to power up due to the extra load... But that's to be expected since the boards weren't designed to handle the extra load. If it works for you to use the machine power great, but we need bricks to keep them stable running 24/7 on route.

#433 9 years ago

Looks great dude! Especially the smoothing, wow!! Have you considered using nerbflong's Demolition Man palette? Might look pretty good since the game uses a very similar red and blue color scheme.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/4#post-1509520

1 month later
#440 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrlbrwn88:

Hey Crash, have you gotten around to doing your Frank yet? Just curious to see what you may have come up with on the color palette.

Yeah I'm doing Baywatch first though as a location is asking for it. Palette wise softwaretroll's Lord of the Rings palette looks pretty good for this game.

#441 9 years ago

Also updated all parts links.

1 week later
#446 9 years ago

Very nice.

#447 9 years ago

I have a working plasma replacement if anyone needs a test display or wants to put it in a game to sell.

#449 9 years ago

Which connector are you referring to on the board?

#450 9 years ago

PinRob asked an important question in the Baywatch club thread so I will share my response here.

Quoted from PinRob:

Does Dr. Pinball have the extenders back in stock now?

Ask him for an original Extender board that has the old GPIO port. I think he is still testing the new model with updated port. Keep in mind the original board will not work with the new Raspberry Pi plus models. Someone is selling a batch of original Model A's that will work until the new Extender board is finished.

#451 9 years ago

For anyone wanting clarification on how to connect a Sega 192x64 system together. Make sure you have everything you need before you begin building your kit:

17.3" LCD display panel
DMD Extender board
DMD Extender power cable, Z connector, ribbon cable, and SD card (all included)
Raspberry Pi board model A or B
1 ft HDMI cable
HDMI to DVI adapter plug (pictured but may not be needed, details to follow)
LCD controller board
12v (4a or higher) power supply

1152.jpg1152.jpg

Connect the small 14 pin connector on the DMD driver board to the DMD Extender's "DMD IN" socket using the supplied ribbon cable. Be sure the red stripe is on the side marked pin 1 on the DMD driver board and on the left side when plugged in to the extender. With the game off, plug in the power connector on the DMD driver board.

1153.jpg1153.jpg

Turn the Raspberry Pi board upside down and carefully insert the GPIO header on the board into the corresponding socket on the DMD Extender board. Connect the included power cable to the "POWER IN" plug on the Extender board. Unplug CN2 on the sound board and connect the other end of this cable in its place. Connect the Z connector to the center plug on the power cable, and connect the plug that was originally attached to CN2 to the opposite end of the Z connector. Insert the SD card into the Raspberry Pi's SD card slot, and connect one end the HDMI cable to the Pi's HDMI out connection.

1154.jpg1154.jpg

Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the LCD controller board's HDMI input. If the model you received does not have an HDMI input, use the pictured female HDMI to male DVI adapter plug to connect to your controller board's DVI input. The remote board and LVDS harness will already be connected to the controller. Attach the flat LVDS connector to the display's socket on the bottom. I would suggest taping down the black sleeve protruding from the contacts like shown to prevent it from wiggling loose during installation. Finally, attach the 12v power supply's DC plug to the controller board's power input connection.

1155.jpg1155.jpg

Plug in the power supply, turn on the game, and the DMD Extender logo will display briefly on the screen followed by the game's DMD image.

1156.jpg1156.jpg1157.jpg1157.jpg

In this case the display panel I received was unfortunately damaged by (guess who) USPS, and I did not have access to a PC to configure the SD card for "large Sega" mode. Other than those two differences you will get a good starting picture, and from there you can insert the SD card into your PC and use the included utility program to customize the image, as well as make further geometry and position adjustments using the LCD controller's included remote board.

This, in a nutshell, covers everything on the electronics/connection side of things. If you want a full guide on how to assemble these parts together properly, check the below links.

http://www.drpinball.co.uk/docs/DMD%20Extender%20DE%20v0.5.1.pdf

http://www.drpinball.co.uk/docs/ApplicationNote1.pdf

#453 9 years ago

Yep a model B will work. But don't pay $45 for it. They can be had much cheaper (as I listed on the previous page).

#456 9 years ago

Ah, that. Actually I'm not sure. Looks like a standard 5.5mm OD 2.5mm ID plug. I honestly didn't even consider that when ordering the power supplies and just got lucky that it fits. I will try and look when I get a chance.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#458 9 years ago

Bummer. Did he give an estimate on when the new model will be available?

#463 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballTiger225:

I didn't use a separate power supply. I used the kit from DR Pinball. Works fine.

He is talking about the DC power connector for the LCD controller board. The Extender does not come with a connector for that, plus the board draws about 3 amps on its own thus it needs an external brick.

#465 9 years ago

I believe he does sell a full kit though for around $350. Includes board, display, controller, Pi, and hookups. Of course since the Extender is currently out of stock that is no longer an option. It's just more cost effective for a lot of people to do it themselves.

#470 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballTiger225:

From his site:
"To support you with these projects Dr Pinball can supply...
•DMD Extender - comes with interface board, all necessary cables and software
•LCD Install Kit - cable and mounting kit for replacing your plasma screen."
I think the kit was an extra $10
I have no brick in mine.

How did you get 12v to the controller board if you're not using a brick?

#471 9 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

I have 2 DMDextender systems I'll be selling as i upgraded the machines to colordmd.
Old style with raspberry pi model a.

PM sent.

#474 9 years ago

Ok, I get it now. I noticed he is using the blank IDC connector included in the kit and he took a 2.5mm barrel plug and crimped the wires onto it, then connected it to the power out plug on the Extender board. That essentially takes the 12v power from the sound board connection. I initially thought that output connector was to be used for a second DMD, I now see why it can't as the board does not accept high voltage as an input, and the connector size is wrong. The main reason we use bricks is because Williams games aren't proven to have a robust enough 12v supply, and they are typically run 24/7 on location so that takes some stress off the game boards.

However, for a home environment I can see how this setup can get a bit cluttered.

#475 9 years ago

Question... what top and bottom vertical border values are you guys using in the software for your Sega conversions? I can dial down the horizontal image size just fine but the software will not allow me to go below -99 in the vertical border fields. It's close to filling the screen vertically but not quite. I also tried -150, -200, -300 by editing the config file manually in Notepad but there was no change beyond what I see with -99. The GUI limits the text input to 3 characters.

image-297.jpgimage-297.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
1 week later
#476 9 years ago

Resolved! Decided to use the DVI input instead of HDMI. This for some reason bumps the resolution down from 1920x1080 to 1400x900 and stretches the image out further.

#479 9 years ago

There are measurements in David's application note, was that it?

http://www.drpinball.co.uk/docs/ApplicationNote1.pdf

#481 9 years ago

If you're selling a DMD Extender kit I am interested in buying it. Friggin' plasmas keep going out on us.

#483 9 years ago

Something to keep in mind, do not copy files from one SD card to another. I did this thinking I could get another game working with the same palette and ended up getting a security key error. If you run into a snag with this error code displayed at the top of the screen you will need to contact Dr. Pinball and he will be happy to get you sorted out. Thanks for the good customer service!

Pics of the large Sega kit below. We used 3/8" rubber grommets between the existing spacers to lift the backing plate up off the speaker panel as the LCD panel is much thinner than the original plasma DMD assembly. We affixed the display using Velcro in case it ever needs replacing.

fr_1238.jpgfr_1238.jpg
fr_1239.jpgfr_1239.jpg
fr_1240.jpgfr_1240.jpg
fr_1241.jpgfr_1241.jpg

#486 9 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

What did you have to do to get it to work after the error? New SD card?

I don't want to explain his methods out of common courtesy, but a new SD card was not needed.

Quoted from JeffF:

Just finished installing one of these in our X-Files yesterday. Talk about a lot of work? No removable speaker panel for that one.
Ended up taking the door off, striping it down, and cutting a 1\2" slot in the shelf so the LCD fit tight against the little plastic DMD bezel.
Sounds way easier than it was of course. The hardest part was coming up with a jig for the rounded face of the door since there was also a 5\8" lip there.
I'll be sure to post a couple pictures. This game really shines with 4 colors IMHO. My son and I worked for a couple hours a few weeks ago to dial them in and once we saw them on the actual game it made all the work worth it!

Holy crap I think you might be the first one on planet earth to actually pull this off.

#493 9 years ago

I have settled on my colors for Baywatch. I used Chrisbee's first palette and tweaked the orange just a bit to include a little more pink to better resemble a sunset. This to me also improves skin tones. I freaking love it!!

baywatch.pngbaywatch.png
image.jpgimage.jpg
image-525.jpgimage-525.jpg
image-654.jpgimage-654.jpg
image-650.jpgimage-650.jpg
image-629.jpgimage-629.jpg
image-615.jpgimage-615.jpg
image-16.jpgimage-16.jpg
image-977.jpgimage-977.jpg
image-382.jpgimage-382.jpg

#495 9 years ago

2 more spot on shots. Colors are deeper in person.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-433.jpgimage-433.jpg
#499 9 years ago

Is it bad that low res pixelated women in bikinis makes want to get a Baywatch pin?

The woman on the far left is clearly naked.

1 week later
#503 9 years ago

I have had some issues with the software not starting about half the time in the latest revisions. Are you sure the lock is not set on the card? Make sure it's in the off position north of the arrow.

2 weeks later
#509 9 years ago

Got Lethal Weapon 3 done today.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#511 9 years ago

Basically the same one I posted several months back minus the blue background. Search the thread for "Lethal Weapon 3."

#517 9 years ago

Hm? That's the first time I've heard it being used with an A+. How did you connect the new GPIO port? Did you use an adapter? I'm surprised it worked at all, and that the original boards could be overclocked.

#522 9 years ago

Does anyone have any idea what the two IDs mean at the end of the part number? LP156WF1(TL)(B2). I don't think these have caused any issues for anyone, as long as they get a LP156WF1 (or LP173WF1 for Sega games).

1 month later
#527 8 years ago

We have been mounting our panels upside down to improve the viewing angle. You may want to try that.

1 week later
#529 8 years ago

I will have to update the parts links. Dr. Pinball should have these available again. I will update the Rasberry Pi link with the model A+ board. This is designed to work with the new Extender board. I would place an order via email and just verify with David that the new version is now available.

Search the thread for "Frankenstein." I tested softwaretroll's Lord of the Rings color palette and it looks really good on this game. Good luck!

#531 8 years ago

There is a second Dr. Pinball on the web.

[email protected]

#532 8 years ago

The above address is David's.

#534 8 years ago

Was that the one you were using?

#536 8 years ago

So did he say the new boards are ready?

#538 8 years ago

No problem, it's not really well-known. Dr. Pinball over last the few months has performed a mostly unannounced "soft roll-out" of a new DMD Extender board. This new design is to complement the obsolescence of the original Raspberry Pi model As and model Bs. There is a new line of computers (Raspberry Pi A+ and B+) that use a different serial interface (GPIO) port that is physically incompatible with the old model.

2 weeks later
#546 8 years ago

Which color palette will you be using?

#550 8 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

My Frankenstein display is still working fine, but its just a matter of time? Maybe I should start collecting this stuff now, as this pin isn't leaving the house?

I would sell the DMD at $400 and buy the Extender kit for $250. A good way to give a purist an original DMD that works perfectly fine and that way you won't have a worthless paperweight when it dies.

3 weeks later
#568 8 years ago

17.3" to be specific right?

#570 8 years ago

Upload a video to YouTube and just copy and paste the link here.

#572 8 years ago

Yes the 12v from the game will not be enough to supply the controller board/LCD. We use an external 5A brick for our conversions and haven't had an issue.

#579 8 years ago

Waiting on email response from David.

1 week later
#584 8 years ago

I got a response today. He is going through some personal things right now.

2 months later
#588 8 years ago

I was put on a waiting list a few months back. Guessing he has personal issues to sort out at the moment.

#599 8 years ago

DMD Extender does use copy protection. The keys for a given SD card are locked to that SD card. The Linux partition is hidden and will not be copied using Explorer. Use a program like Win32 Disk Imager to do this. Write down the serial number and keys used on each card! If you screw this up the software will not work and you will need David to clear it up for you. I would take extra precautions since he is unavailable for the foreseeable future.

#602 8 years ago

Pintastic is immature. Actually the software uses the CID number of the card and David uses this CID number with his keygen to generate the key. The DRM really irritates me as we've had SD cards corrupt on us on location and as consequence we have had to take games offline until David fixes us up.

#605 8 years ago

AFAIK the chip on that board is a "buffer IC" used to convert the signal into something the Pi can use.

#608 8 years ago

Holy crap, seriously?

#619 8 years ago

Dr. Pinball, not Mr. Pinball. And where did you hear he has health issues?

#621 8 years ago

Sorry, was directing my question at pin-tastic.

#626 8 years ago

For the Sega games how is the HV circuit regulated using this board? Does it attenuate the 18v power coming in?

#628 8 years ago

Dang I completely forgot about that. So I'm guessing the 14 pin ribbon cable connection is an analog circuit and not digital?

#631 8 years ago

I had no luck when I called them a couple years ago. But maybe they started doing it again.

#638 8 years ago

Nothing. At this point I've decided to move on to SmartDMD. Turns out his adapter board is cheaper (with shipping) than the DMD Extender board. I have machines with dead/dying displays that need fixed before they go back on location.

#641 8 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Are planning to do a similar write up for SmartDMD? I know I found your DMD Extender write up extremely helpful.

I might edit the photo and change the existing text around a little. Very similar.

#645 8 years ago

Holy crap, he's alive.

#646 8 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Are planning to do a similar write up for SmartDMD? I know I found your DMD Extender write up extremely helpful.

Quoted from Jgaltr56:

A list of recommended hardware would be helpful and much appreciated if you have the time. I'd like to order the parts that are known to work together and get started on BF.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-color-display-setup-guide

4 weeks later
#648 8 years ago

It may not be the panel. I bought a panel from one seller and an LCD controller from another. When I connected them up, nothing powered up. The controller was on, but nothing at all happened with the screen. The problem was the LCD controller seller did not include the proper cable harness for my screen. Try the screen with another LCD controller designed for LG/Philips LP156WF1 if you can.

1 month later
#652 8 years ago

Did you adjust the bottom border value successfully? It's a known issue and can cause hang-ups when set to any non-zero value.

#654 8 years ago

Ah, you're not using the upside down option. Great!

1 week later
#655 8 years ago

Links good!

1 week later
#658 8 years ago

Large Sega support has recently been confirmed with SmartDMD. Is Dr. Pinball still keeping a waiting list?

1 week later
#664 8 years ago

Just a 12v 4A power brick.

#667 8 years ago

You can restore the software and product keys yourself if something goes wrong. PM me and I will send you the restore SD card image and explain.

#669 8 years ago

Make as note of your color and border settings as well.

#671 8 years ago

The board listed on the first page will work. Verify with the seller they will ship to the U.S. I wasn't able to find any boards on the AU site.

#676 8 years ago

I reached out to David regarding some questions about support, here is his response. The best way to contact him from now on is through email.

First of all thanks for your continued support for the DMD Extender, I
really appreciate it.

The only issue with my personal life is getting time to do things with the
DMD Extender - I have a full time job, a family, and other projects on the
go! It's hard to fit it all in. However, my wife is now helping with the
administration and emails so I'm getting a lot more time to do the
manufacture and testing of the kits that are getting ordered. I'm
continually overwhelmed by the popularity of this thing.

With respect to the DRM, I completely agree with your comments and
sentiments. I have always been concerned about the ease of support for it,
and most of my support issues are about the SD Cards (although I must say
that I don't see many issues at all, considering the number of DMD Extenders
out there). I decided to add DRM because of the amount of work I'd put into
the project - I felt I owed it to myself and family to protect the software.
In terms of the support, I'm not going anywhere and I'll always help people
with issues they have - I don't want to leave anyone with a broken machine.

The DRM itself is based on the unique ID of each SD Card which is built into
the card itself. I really wanted to allow key management through the Windows
config application, but to date I have not found a way of reliably querying
the SD Card to extract the necessary information from within the Windows OS.
As you know, the current route to gaining a new set of keys involves a
replacement kernel file that displays a regeneration key on the screen, but
this is complex.

Also, if a user completely wipes the card, or needs to use a new card, then
the card must be formatted with a FAT16 primary partition of 1GB in size -
some users struggle to achieve this. I do supply the regeneration image that
is designed to do the necessary setup of the card.

So, I need to think about this whole process again. I don't want to remove
the DRM, but it must be easier to manage...
1. I'll write a guide to managing the SD Card so that people know not the
muck around with it.
2. I'll give detailed instructions on how to generate a new card
3. I'll provide a base image file that will do the basic setup
4. I'll amend the software so that the regen key is automatically written to
the SD Card if the current keys are invalid. That way, it's easy for me to
provide new keys - the user just sends me the regen key file, I'll provide
the new keys in a file, and the user can update their config using the
Windows config app.

This is all off the top of my head - I need to think a lot more about it,
but if you have any comments then feel free to get in touch.

I don't get chance to look at Pinside these days, so if you want to post
this response in a relevant thread then go for it.

Best wishes

David.

#678 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You can restore the software and product keys yourself if something goes wrong. PM me and I will send you the restore SD card image and explain.

According to David this only works if something happens to the software and the SD card is still good. You WILL need David's help if you're using a different SD card. Sorry about any confusion, it's been a long time since I've messed with it.

1 month later
#689 8 years ago

From the beginning David said the 15.6" controller can be used for both screen sizes, and I have confirmed that. Maybe this is no longer the case?

#691 8 years ago

The DMD driver board is not the problem. You get no activity on the LCD, it should come on with an obvious blue/gray tint from the backlight and at a minimum show "no signal." Post a picture of the connectors on your screen and LCD controller. You're using 12v from the game to power the controller right?

#693 8 years ago

J1 is an input. It grabs 5v power from the power supply. The LCD controller board gets its power from a 12v source.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/10#post-2237459

#696 8 years ago

That indicates a communication problem with the DMD driver board. Be sure it's getting no less than 5.00v at the J1 connector.

#699 8 years ago

I would still check the voltage at J1 to be sure.

#703 8 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Will do. As the wires are soldered directly to the back of J1 on this game, what should I be doing if the voltage is lower than expected?
Thank you for your all your help!

Trace the cable back to the source, should be coming off the power supply board. If it is low, reseat it and measure again.

3 months later
#712 7 years ago

I think Dr. Pinball sells a kit. Send him an email.

[email protected]

#715 7 years ago

Is there room to move the LCD down behind the plastic channel the speaker panel fits in? I think others have done WPC-95 lightbox games without issues.

3 weeks later
#718 7 years ago

Looks great! Unfortunately the DVI adapter is the only way I know to fix it. This changes the output resolution. You can try lowering the resolution in the config program but this has only shrunk the image for me. It's been quite a long time since I discussed this with David. I would give him a message and ask for his opinion.

#720 7 years ago

Just plug the HDMI cable into the DVI adapter and plug the adapter into the DVI port on the controller. For example with a computer monitor:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#722 7 years ago

Yeah mine comes all the way to the edge now. Had to adjust the borders back a bit.

2 weeks later
#725 7 years ago

I'll update the links. You couldn't buy the ones listed in the opening post?

#727 7 years ago

The controller is right but I can't guarantee the screen is. That controller board is designed for LG/Philips displays. You can take a chance and see but if you can I would buy the one I listed (or a screen that says LP173WF1).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 18.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd?tu=Crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.