(Topic ID: 67366)

DMD Extender Discussion (ColorDMD Alternative)

By Crash

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 730 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PohodaVole
  • Topic is favorited by 213 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
IMAG0365_(resized).jpg
20160317_174701_(resized).jpg
20160315_170305_(resized).jpg
20160314_092007_(resized).jpg
20160314_210946_(resized).jpg
20160314_091953_(resized).jpg
20160314_092021_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_2_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_1_(resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto_2015-12-29_um_14.11.29_(resized).png
411300.jpg
20150711_064903.jpg
20150711_065112.jpg
20150710_224951.jpg
IMG_20150624_213437785.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 2kaulitz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#318 9 years ago

i have ordered my setup and its going in a freddy pinball. just got figure out how to power it.

#319 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Has anyone had trouble getting hold of Dr Pinball of Late?
I have bee trying to order the extender for a month now.
Edit- after posting this I received an email, all sorted. Should have wait one more day, LOL.
Post edited by Chrisbee: Update

From what i herd on fb he is real busy so it might take time to respond. But herd from him today and ordered mine.

#321 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball4ever:

I got your pm and thought I'd post the answer here in case someone else had the same question.
Dr Pinball provides a power cable with the dmd extender that you use to "double up" one of the power connectors (mine was CN2 on the sound board for Sega) and goes to the "power in" connector on the dmd extender board. You also should order the LCD install kit from dr pinball (separate item) which has another power cable that connects into the dmd extender (the "power out" slot) to power the interface board.
If you look at the application notes found here it will probably make more sense, plus there are some pics:
http://www.drpinball.co.uk/documentation_applicationnotes.htm

thx and yes i did get lcd kit but he said he has no power cable for gottlieb games yet. But i did get wpc one that i'm sure can be adapted.

#323 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball4ever:

Yeah, the power connector with the kit for the controller board will work perfect so it'll be just a matter of finding a Gottlieb power connecter to use and double checking the wiring on the connector going into your game. There are only 3 wires, so it shouldn't be a big deal if you have to move one or more of the wires.

ok awesome thx for the info

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

I couldnt find a good tap point for power for gottlieb games.
I cheated and took an old external cdrom drives power supply that had +5 and +12 power output,made a connector and plugged it into the power box up front near the coindoor. One of the outlets turns off and on with the game. Works for me. Less strain on the old power supply too!

so one plug in pinball should turn on off with the switch ?

#328 9 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Yes, on Stargate and Gladiators it does for me. Wipeout too, I believe.
I originally had the PI powered via a custom cable hooked to the DMD power cable, but preffered the separate power supply for both - Less strain on the power supply of the pinball machine.

ok sweet

#329 9 years ago

Wanted to give shout out to Andy at the http://kenode.com/ for awesome deal on led screen plus controller. I have everything i need so far expect the dmd extender and that been ordered

#331 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Awesome that he's supplying screens, too. What kind of screen did you get? I don't see any combo kits on the site with a correctly sized screen.

i got 15.6 and i think you have ask him if looking for screen and he just added all in one package for me.

1 week later
#340 9 years ago

my 1st try install on my Freddy pinball next step is get the best colors scheme and fine tune things ect

IMG_0935.JPGIMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0927.JPGIMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0926.JPGIMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0925.JPGIMG_0925.JPG

#341 9 years ago

Updated to my final placement for screen now i can get access to boards

IMG_1083.JPGIMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1050.JPGIMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1059.JPGIMG_1059.JPG

#345 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

2Kaulitz, i have used the same LCD controller as you. you need only connect the Remote IR to select the input, once selected it can be removed, wiring and all. I went to a bit of trouble to mount the Key panel, only to find it is not need.

Ok sweet less wires I gotta worry about . When you 1st turn on yours does it take like 10secs to turn on display ? See video below

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/jfc2697/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trim9E8D4AEF-0965-46E8-8E36-B69ED1BB60A9_zpsd2bec03e.mp4.html

#347 9 years ago

i updated pics and that my final install took few times to get right. Now is time figure out the best colors to use

What you think of white dmd ?

IMG_1092.JPGIMG_1092.JPG

#351 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Just checked my timing to start the LCD, about 5 seconds. But right now mine is powered remotely via 120 watt 12VDC power supply, still waiting on a part, then I will run from the Old DMD supply.
if you are interested this is what i'm going to use. on my machine, the old DMD supply is 18v, this will step it down and remove any ripple. Cost $2.60 USD
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301147898241

K i might try a different controller as if hook up to my tv its on right away and i'm using a 12v power supply. Its not huge deal just at start up its gotta be the controller having a delay.

#353 9 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

some of the LED display controllers I've used take a while to boot some are shorter than others. still all about 4 to 6 seconds
I doubt it's a power supply problem.
FREDDY looks great in green!

thx i love the green too i also found a good red/orange scheme down also

3 weeks later
#369 9 years ago

testing my dmd extender on my fish tales project

IMG_1481.JPGIMG_1481.JPG
#374 9 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

Finally got all the parts and installed it on my TZ. Looks great!

Here's my detailed DIY post with a lot of pictures and some EU buyers friendly links.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colorized-dmd-with-dmd-extender-diy
Hope it will inspire more people to colorize their old DMDs.

Selection_036.png 286 KB

I'm getting a tz and prolly do that to mine as i loved how it turned out on my freddy

#381 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm not sure if David has recovered from his illness. I last contacted him about a week or two ago.

That sucks I wanted to order more. I hope he gets better soon.

#386 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

Sorry I forgot the most important word in that statement.
He does Not carry them he told me he had not even seen them before.
I guess I should have ordered the Extender first then the other supporting things.

I wonder how many email terry got because of that lol

#389 9 years ago

I herd from David and he said he has to restock 1st

#393 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Something's not adding up here. David at one point told me he sent stock to PBL, and (if memory serves me correctly) they should have, at one point, actually had stock. Perhaps the whole thing was a misunderstanding.

It would be nice to have place in use to order from. But it only takes about week coming from the uk so it's not too bad.

1 month later
#423 9 years ago

here is my twilight project with the color dmd installed i think all white is good for the game but might try to see how it looks with colors

325548-i.jpg325548-i.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 12.95
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 2kaulitz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd?tu=2kaulitz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.