(Topic ID: 67366)

DMD Extender Discussion (ColorDMD Alternative)

By Crash

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 730 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PohodaVole
  • Topic is favorited by 214 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 221 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
IMAG0365_(resized).jpg
20160317_174701_(resized).jpg
20160315_170305_(resized).jpg
20160314_092007_(resized).jpg
20160314_210946_(resized).jpg
20160314_091953_(resized).jpg
20160314_092021_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_2_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_1_(resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto_2015-12-29_um_14.11.29_(resized).png
411300.jpg
20150711_064903.jpg
20150711_065112.jpg
20150710_224951.jpg
IMG_20150624_213437785.jpg

There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.
#401 4 years ago

Is it possible to use the DMD Extender in Capcoms Pinball Magic?

#402 4 years ago

I don't believe there is Capcom support.

#403 4 years ago

Will the DMD extender work with the newer Raspberry pi A+ ?

#404 4 years ago

I ordered to use with my Baywatch.

Without mining all the thread on the subject for info, is there a consensus on where/what are CURRENTLY the best screen and other stuff I will need to buy for the project?

#405 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Without mining all the thread on the subject for info, is there a consensus on where/what are CURRENTLY the best screen and other stuff I will need to buy for the project?

If you read the first few post of the thread most of the info you need is there.

Most of us are using LG PHILIPS LP173WF1(TL)(C1) Screen (for the BIG dmds). – this screen has a good view angle
If you email Andy at www.kenode.com , he will have the controller and cables that you need and even may now have the screens too. He knows about this thread, so he will know what you are asking. He will also make sure the controller is configured for which ever screen you choose.

I have done my BayWatch, this is the colours I picked
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/7#post-1937526

#406 4 years ago

Thanks Chris! I was unsure if the original post was still accurate given how old it was?

I have the DMD extender on order already from Drpinball.

A few other things I am unsure of?

So now I need? :
1.LG PHILIPS LP173WF1(TL)(C1) Screen >> where is best place to order in US? any better screens than the one from last year or is this the best?

2. LCD Controller >> order from kenode.com

3. DVI to HDMI Cable 1m. Is this the cable you are referring to that I will need?

4. Rasberry Pi A or B. What is the difference in A or B? Best place US to buy?

#407 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

So now I need?

The cabling will depend on which Raspberry PI you get, I have Raspberry Pi 2.0 Model B, works great. Mine has HDMI out so the cable I used is 300mm long HDMI to HDMI.

You also need a way to power the screen, I have a DC to DC converter and use the existing DMD power supply. The converter cost <$3 including postage (Ebay)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/7#post-1939518

1 week later
#408 4 years ago

Does this work with Raspberry Pi model A+? It says it works with A or B and not with B+ but there was no mention if it works with A+.

#409 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Does this work with Raspberry Pi model A+? It says it works with A or B and not with B+ but there was no mention if it works with A+.

I found that the answer is no. The DMD extender needs the 26-pin GPIO connector, newer Raspberry Pi A+ and B+ models have the 40-pin GPIO connector.

#410 4 years ago

A standard model A or B (not plus variants) will work just fine. Given how many tens of thousands of uses the original Raspberry Pi still has, supply for the immediate future won't be a problem.

#411 4 years ago

Is ther a benefit for this application of getting either the A or B?

#412 4 years ago

Guys just so there is no confusion, prices and availability for parts listed on the first page change all the time. I list the complete part numbers/model numbers/listing titles and prices at the time I found them. I see that people have been looking elsewhere when the links get stale and that's great. Just keep in mind that the parts I list are just suggestions and not end all be all; stick with the same part numbers (excluding B1,D3, or whatever after the display model numbers) and you'll be good.

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Is ther a benefit for this application of getting either the A or B?

Not that I can see. The model B will give you an ethernet port and 2 USB ports instead of 1. I picked up a model A since they're usually a bit cheaper, $24 shipped right now for a refurb.

#414 4 years ago

Reason I listed a model B is because I couldn't find a new model A at a reasonable price.

#415 4 years ago

All parts now ordered.

It has been a few weeks since I paid for the DMD extender and no sign of it yet or shipping info... Hopefully it has been shipped and just an issue with overseas shipping delaying it?

#416 4 years ago

Well it appears that the Raspberry Pi model A and model B are no longer in production. One of the changes to the new model is an updated GPIO port, which is used to interface the DMD Extender board and supply power from the game. It has been changed from a 26 pin header to a 40 pin header. David, what would be required to add support to the new plus models? Can a simple ribbon cable adapter be used or would a complete redesign of your Extender board be needed?

Here is a blog post from their site. Does it tell you anything?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=82169

#417 4 years ago

They're no longer in production but the supply is still plentiful. Yes an adapter would work (they are available at adafruit) to adapt from the 40-pin GPIO on the newer + models back to classic 26-pin but there's no point in buying a + model unless you find a really good deal. A standard model A or B will be cheaper and a neater more compact installation as intended.

#418 4 years ago

Where did you find new model A's still for sale? eBay and Amazon only turned up a single listing for a model B, and their site doesn't even list model A/B in the store.

#419 4 years ago

Here's a guy with 5 refurbished model A, $24 shipped to your door

ebay.com link

#420 4 years ago

I did see that one. Refurbished would work in a pinch should there be any supply issues in the future (or like you say, just get a GPIO adapter cable for the plus boards which is still more expensive).

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2014/07/22/new-products-downgrade-gpio-ribbon-cable-for-raspberry-pi-model-b-40-pins-to-26-pins-gpio-ribbon-cable-for-raspberry-pi-model-b-40-pins/

#422 4 years ago

Oh look, an actual update from ME! We just finished up the Cue Ball Wizard conversion and it turned out sharp! Everything came together pretty smooth. The 12V 6A power brick used to power the controller can easily be snaked down from the backbox into the cabinet and tied off to the main harness. This connects to the service outlet. I originally went with orange as the medium shade (to compliment the yellow) but then changed it to burgundy red to better match the playfield art and plastics. To be honest the dim shade IS used in the opening scene where the wizard goes to shoot, but in practice it really isn't noticeable so I didn't bother adjusting it any further since my initial testing. For the background I stuck with the initial idea of pool table felt, and comparing the background to the green on the playfield, it really blends in.

More weirdness with color representation, though. This part adds a lot of trial and error since some colors (at least to me) don't seem to be accurately represented on-screen vs. what I see in the configuration software. Not really an "issue" per say, just a minor inconvenience.

image-424.jpg
image.jpg
cueballwizard.png
image-720.jpg
image.jpg
image-510.jpg
image-196.jpg
image-157.jpg
image-31.jpg

#423 4 years ago

here is my twilight project with the color dmd installed i think all white is good for the game but might try to see how it looks with colors

325548-i.jpg
#425 4 years ago

looking good Crash! I like the use of plexi to hold all the components. Looking sharp.

All the components are slowly arriving for my Baywatch project.

Time to start shopping out the game and get it playing tuned in and then do the DMD extender.

#426 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Oh look, an actual update from ME! We just finished up the Cue Ball Wizard conversion and it turned out sharp! Everything came together pretty smooth. The 12V 6A power brick used to power the controller can easily be snaked down from the backbox into the cabinet and tied off to the main harness. This connects to the service outlet. I originally went with orange as the medium shade (to compliment the yellow) but then changed it to burgundy red to better match the playfield art and plastics. To be honest the dim shade IS used in the opening scene where the wizard goes to shoot, but in practice it really isn't noticeable so I didn't bother adjusting it any further since my initial testing. For the background I stuck with the initial idea of pool table felt, and comparing the background to the green on the playfield, it really blends in.
More weirdness with color representation, though. This part adds a lot of trial and error since some colors (at least to me) don't seem to be accurately represented on-screen vs. what I see in the configuration software. Not really an "issue" per say, just a minor inconvenience.

cueballwizard.png 14 KB

image.jpg 226 KB

image-720.jpg 214 KB

image-510.jpg 248 KB

image-196.jpg 301 KB

image-31.jpg 235 KB

image-157.jpg 253 KB

image.jpg 173 KB

image-424.jpg 159 KB

Wouldn't it be easier to use the DMD extender's power out to supply the 12V to the LCD controller? Then you wouldn't need to use an external power supply.

#427 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Wouldn't it be easier to use the DMD extender's power out to supply the 12V to the LCD controller? Then you wouldn't need to use an external power supply.

I originally started doing this but ran into issues with the 12v power supply on past machines. So a $5 brick that supplies plenty of power does the trick. If I remember correctly the controller itself draws over 3A of current, pretty hefty.

#428 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I originally started doing this but ran into issues with the 12v power supply on past machines. So a $5 brick that supplies plenty of power does the trick. If I remember correctly the controller itself draws over 3A of current, pretty hefty.

What kind of issues? All of the documentation says that it works. If not, I would suspect a problem with the machine or some other issue that David would address.

#429 4 years ago

Well for one I had a Sega display driver board fail to power up due to the extra load... But that's to be expected since the boards weren't designed to handle the extra load. If it works for you to use the machine power great, but we need bricks to keep them stable running 24/7 on route.

#430 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well for one I had a Sega display driver board fail to power up due to the extra load... But that's to be expected since the boards weren't designed to handle the extra load. If it works for you to use the machine power great, but we need bricks to keep them stable running 24/7 on route.

Fair enough, most of what I've seen is WPC stuff which seems to work fine and that's what I'll be using if it works as stated. The controller should draw less than 1 amp, obviously a higher rated power supply never hurts so they recommend something like a 3-4A power brick.

#431 4 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

here is my twilight project with the color dmd installed i think all white is good for the game but might try to see how it looks with colors

Here are the colors I used on my TZ. Try'em out to see if they fit for you.
100%=E5E5E5
90% =F27900
75% =0000A0
0% =000000
("White", Yellow/Orange, Blue, Black)

#432 4 years ago

Got mine installed in my T2, looks great! I'm using shades of red instead of orange, red looks much better on this game. Total cost was $200

DMDext1.jpg
DMDext2.jpg
DMDext3.jpg
DMDext4.jpg
DMDext5.jpg

#433 4 years ago

Looks great dude! Especially the smoothing, wow!! Have you considered using nerbflong's Demolition Man palette? Might look pretty good since the game uses a very similar red and blue color scheme.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/4#post-1509520

#434 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Looks great dude! Especially the smoothing, wow!! Have you considered using nerbflong's Demolition Man palette? Might look pretty good since the game uses a very similar red and blue color scheme.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/4#post-1509520

Looks ok, not nearly as good as it does on DM. T2 is pretty primitive with its animations and they don't lend well to multi color schemes from what I've tried so far.

DMDext-DMcolors.png

#435 4 years ago

Wow, that DM palette looks terrible in T2!

The red is nice! Looks good!

4 weeks later
#436 4 years ago

I just finished setting up a new arcade cabinet with PinballX and Visual Pinball (which now has the colorized pixels like the DMD Extender). After going through all the different tables, I've come to 1 favorite colorized game - ROCKY & BULLWINKLE!
I don't have an R&B, but if I did, I'd switch my JM setup with it in a heartbeat!

SKIP to 3:45, to see R&B in action

#437 4 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

I just finished setting up a new arcade cabinet with PinballX and Visual Pinball (which now has the colorized pixels like the DMD Extender). After going through all the different tables, I've come to 1 favorite colorized game - ROCKY & BULLWINKLE!
I don't have an R&B, but if I did, I'd switch my JM setup with it in a heartbeat!
SKIP to 3:45, to see R&B in action
» YouTube video

HOHMYGODIHAVETOHAVETHIS!!!!!

2 weeks later
#438 4 years ago

Hey Crash, have you gotten around to doing your Frank yet? Just curious to see what you may have come up with on the color palette.

#439 4 years ago
Quoted from Chrlbrwn88:

Hey Crash, have you gotten around to doing your Frank yet? Just curious to see what you may have come up with on the color palette.

Me too. I have the parts here and I may convert ours this weekend. The only problem is I'd like to see how our X-Files looks with one of these kits too so that may win out at the last second.

#440 4 years ago
Quoted from Chrlbrwn88:

Yeah I'm doing Baywatch first though as a location is asking for it. Palette wise softwaretroll's Lord of the Rings palette looks pretty good for this game.

#441 4 years ago

Also updated all parts links.

#442 4 years ago

Just curious if anyone has done a SEGA Showcase cabinet yet? If so, I'd love some pictures.

I just started looking at our X-Files and there's a bit of work involved since you have to modify one of the plywood supports that is right above the DMD. Seems like the door will have to be removed from the cabinet and all the components off the door before you can modify the support.

Before I get to that point though I want to make sure I can get the X-Files working with the DMDExtender and get an awesome color palette.

#443 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Yeah I'm doing Baywatch first though as a location is asking for it. Palette wise softwaretroll's Lord of the Rings palette looks pretty good for this game.

That's the one I used. Was just curious if you had done yours yet, and what tweaks if any you had made. I adjusted the colors on mine some, would like to do a little more to it though.

#444 4 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Just curious if anyone has done a SEGA Showcase cabinet yet? If so, I'd love some pictures.
I just started looking at our X-files and there's a bit of work involved since you have to modify one of the plywood supports that is right above the DMD. Seems like the door will have to be removed from the cabinet and all the components off the door before you can modify the support.
Before I get to that point though I want to make sure I can get the X-files working with the DMDExtender and get an awesome color palette.

One of these days I'll get around to doing it for SST, but so far I haven't seen any examples in a showcase cabinet. It will be more work than most any other pin as far as I can tell. I suppose you could mount the LCD much further back along the back edge of the shelf that's over the existing DMD, but I think ideally that shelf is going to have to be heavily modified to fit the LCD in at the same approximate depth of a standard DMD.

It might be possible to cut a slot that's wide enough for the LCD to slide down into, and that's probably the route I'll plan to go with.

#445 4 years ago

The slot is what I'm planning on doing too. I got looking at it closer this weekend and it really shouldn't be too bad. The worst part will be removing everything just to cut the slot.

Here's me playing around with the DMD Extender and X-Files this weekend...

(The colors are washed out in the video... they look better in person...)

My son came down stairs and say X-Files being displayed on the 32" TV down there and was thrilled with how it looked. He thinks the colors are perfect that's all I needed to hear. Now all I need is the 15.6" screen and interface to show up.

1 week later
#446 4 years ago

Very nice.

#447 4 years ago

I have a working plasma replacement if anyone needs a test display or wants to put it in a game to sell.

#448 4 years ago

Does anyone know the size of the barrel connector for the lcd controller board that crash linked to?

#449 4 years ago

Which connector are you referring to on the board?

#450 4 years ago

PinRob asked an important question in the Baywatch club thread so I will share my response here.

Quoted from PinRob:

Does Dr. Pinball have the extenders back in stock now?

Ask him for an original Extender board that has the old GPIO port. I think he is still testing the new model with updated port. Keep in mind the original board will not work with the new Raspberry Pi plus models. Someone is selling a batch of original Model A's that will work until the new Extender board is finished.

ebay.com link

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hastings, NE
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
2,975 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Maricopa, AZ
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Machine - For Sale
Saint Charles, MO
$ 125.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Little Shop Of Games
$ 109.99
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Cincinnati, OH
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside