New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 67366)

DMD Extender Discussion (ColorDMD Alternative)

By Crash

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 730 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PohodaVole
  • Topic is favorited by 213 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 221 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
IMAG0365_(resized).jpg
20160317_174701_(resized).jpg
20160315_170305_(resized).jpg
20160314_092007_(resized).jpg
20160314_210946_(resized).jpg
20160314_091953_(resized).jpg
20160314_092021_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_2_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_1_(resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto_2015-12-29_um_14.11.29_(resized).png
411300.jpg
20150711_064903.jpg
20150711_065112.jpg
20150710_224951.jpg
IMG_20150624_213437785.jpg

There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.
#151 6 years ago

That looks fantastic!

1 week later
#152 6 years ago

How to coloroize frame manually .. any software ? How to extract all frame and recompile ? Good job

#153 6 years ago

It's really quite easy to do...

Take screenshot (ALT+ PrtScrn) of DMD running in PinMAME with "compact display" and "double size" checked in the PinMAME options.

Install Gimp. http://www.gimp.org/
Paste into GIMP, crop DMD.
Select by color and choose a shade.
Set color to exact match to our screenshot color codes using HTML notation in color picker.
Select fill and choose "fill whole selection."
Rinse and repeat for remaining 3 colors.

#154 6 years ago

Okay, here's some of the machines I've done DMD extenders on.

Never mind all my pictures look like I was drunk when I took them; I wasnt!

On most of the games I was trying to color match the speaker panel and or playfield.

Every single LCD screen I used seemed to have different color/brightness. Despite being the same model number. Your results will vary.

The Shadow.
Shadow1.jpgShadow2.jpgShadow-config.jpg

Johnny Mnemonic.
JM.jpgjm2.jpgjm-config.jpg

Demolition Man.
DM1.jpgDM2.jpgDM-config.jpg

Stargate.
Stargate1.jpgStargate2.jpgstargate-config.jpg

World Cup Soccer 94.
WCS941.jpgWCS942.jpgWCS94-config.jpg

Fun stuff!!

1 week later
#155 6 years ago

Will this work with a Teenage Mutant ninja turtles which is 128x16 ??

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from steveoc:

Will this work with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which is 128x16 ??

Not currently. If it gets to the point of working, and I hope it does, it will require some hardware hacks to the existing driver board to get a workable output from it to the DMD Extender. I've contacted Dr Pinball about it and it will also require significant code updates to accommodate for the smaller display.

#157 6 years ago

Ok, White Water is DONE, and it looks SWEET! Man I didn't imagine it would turn out this good. This particular controller board has more picture and color adjustment options. I set the brightness to 45/100 and contrast to 75/100. Red, green, and blue adjustments are all 100% by default. If using this display (link included below) these may be the optimal settings to best match the colors visually when referring to the original color codes in the configuration program.

ebay.com link

image.jpg

#158 6 years ago

Lotta pictures incoming. First the initial setup on a plexiglass sheet with weather stripping around the monitor bezel for padding. This particular game has a connector plugged into J116 so we used the included adapter plug and z connector to maintain that existing connection.

image.jpgimage-215.jpgimage-388.jpg

#159 6 years ago

Maxed out the contrast and wow, the LED backlit screen looks at least as bright as a plasma DMD. Really stands out!

image.jpg

And after final color corrections:

image-691.jpg
image.jpg
image-686.jpg
image-937.jpg
image-603.jpg
image-391.jpg
image-21.jpg
image-252.jpg
image-499.jpg
image-899.jpg
image-949.jpg
image-397.jpg
image-921.jpg

#160 6 years ago

Parts links and prices updated.

#161 6 years ago

Looks great. This might be the way i'm going to go with my baywatch project i'm starting.

#162 6 years ago

I sent Robin a message requesting a DMD Extender color palette database.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I sent Robin a message requesting a DMD Extender color palette database.

Hi

The next release of the DMD Extender will allow copy/paste of colour codes from/to the Configuration Utility. When you're happy with your colour choices press the copy button then you can easily add to forum posts. Conversely, select the colour choices text, copy and paste, using the Paste button, into the config utility.
For example, 4 colour entries for a Bally/Williams...
2001=DDBB26
2002=F8F1D3
2003=C68C2E
2004=2636A6
2005=000000

I'm going to add a few suggested palettes onto my web site along with a sample image.

Other additions for the new software will be...
Gottlieb support
Reboot of Pi on SD Card insertion - allows easier configuration without having to switch off/on the pinball
Hoping to add a new visual effect.

David.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from DoctorPinball:

Reboot of Pi on SD Card insertion - allows easier configuration without having to switch off/on the pinball

Does this mean we will be able to remove the SD card and have the program run in memory, and the Pi will reboot from the SD card when it is re-inserted?

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Does this mean we will be able to remove the SD and have the program run in memory, and the Pi will reboot from the SD card when it is re-inserted?

This is a great feature and one I've been happy to test when doing colors on Gladiators and Stargate. The program does pause waiting for the card to be reinserted. It freezes the screen when waiting. And when you insert the card again it reboots the pi to reload the new colors/settings.

Whitewater is looking nice. Very nice color choices!

#166 6 years ago

Thanks. The blue looks a bit overpowering in the pictures but because of the viewing angle while playing it is less noticeable. When playing it looks pretty spot on with the cabinet art background, as well as the tan and brown matching the playfield canyon colors.

#167 6 years ago

Just finished my MSF. Thinking about doing some others.

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from Chrlbrwn88:

Just finished my MSF. Thinking about doing some others.

Which palette did you use?

#169 6 years ago

I saw a link to the screen but I might have missed what controller you are using.

#170 6 years ago

I started with this one. Saw it posted in this thread, so I thought it would be a good place to start. May try tweaking the colors to see what happens.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I saw a link to the screen but I might have missed what controller you are using.

Refer back to the first post, that's where I keep all the links.

#172 6 years ago

Any thoughts on a color palette database Robin?

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Any thoughts on a color palette database Robin?

Who's Robin?

#174 6 years ago

The guy who owns this forum. The Grand Poobah...

#175 6 years ago

Bumpuh-wump. Next in line: Frankenstein, Jurassic Park.

#176 6 years ago

msf-566.pngmsf1.png[attachment=1553532,undefined]

#177 6 years ago

IMG_20140330_232901_721-557.jpg
New colors for Frank. Darker brown and a green. No more blue background. I think it looks a lot better.

#178 6 years ago

IMG_20140331_244124_799.jpgIMG_20140330_231459_398.jpg
Tried to get a close up of the colors. It is a lot easier to read the words on the display now. Before they kind of blended together.

#179 6 years ago

color match please for twilight zone?

#180 6 years ago

Seriously the only palette is black/white (grey) for TZ. Due to its many different animations every other palette looks strange to me. White/yellow/dark blue/black is worth a try. But b/w is better

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Bumpuh-wump. Next in line: Frankenstein, Jurassic Park.

Have you had a chance to work on your Frank yet? Was just wondering what color palette you have tried or come up with.

#182 6 years ago

Just a question here, I saw this display last night at a friends place in his Batman Forever and I must say it looked cool! My question is why doesn't the display go to the exact same size as the original big DMD?

#183 6 years ago

It will with a 17.3" display.

#184 6 years ago

My friend has the 17.3" screen. If you scroll up and look at the Frankenstein picture that says Free Play it shows the same thing I'm talking about. The original DMD doesn't have a space on top or bottom. Not the end of the world just wanted to see if there was anything you can do to adjust that, because my friend said he tried but couldn't.

#185 6 years ago

Image size is adjustable in settings, but I don't know which one. David can you give us some insight?

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

My friend has the 17.3" screen. If you scroll up and look at the Frankenstein picture that says Free Play it shows the same thing I'm talking about. The original DMD doesn't have a space on top or bottom. Not the end of the world just wanted to see if there was anything you can do to adjust that, because my friend said he tried but couldn't.

IMG_20140405_184313_249.jpgIMG_20140405_184310_729.jpg

Here are a couple screen shots after making an adjustment to the size. In the configure utility you have to add value to the borders. To get my screen to fit I had to add -90 to the top border. A positive number moves the image away from the edge. A negative number moves the image closer to the edge. It only enlarges the image where you add value. So, if you move the top closer it won't move the bottom away from the edge.

#187 6 years ago

I've had a couple of queries recently about the size of the image and stretching to fit the available window. As Chrlbrwn88 says above, just amend the border settings, specifically top or bottom to move the image in that direction. It's not immediately obvious that negative values can be used, but this will have the desired effect.

#188 6 years ago

Could someone make a complete bill of materials to do a complete build for my Maverick? (every small item included such as wiring, heat sinks, and other misc. hardware) I'm about to do this and I want to ensure I've got everything I need before I start.

#189 6 years ago

This post covers it, but does not consider the cost of wiring, mounting pads, external power supply for controller board, and plexi sheet. But really there is no need to buy additional wiring as the cable to power the Extender board is included.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/2#post-1237125

#190 6 years ago

Can you tell me more about the necessity of the heat sinks?

If I need them, where do they go and what size?

#191 6 years ago

Heatsinks may not actually be needed but I would at minimum suggest a heatsink for the voltage regulator on the controller board. They can reach up to 75C which is warm. I put one on the regulator and the Pi's CPU using the kit below.

ebay.com link

1 week later
#192 6 years ago

I got all of the components ordered to convert my Maverick. Now I am just waiting on the deliveries. I will post progress pics once underway.

#193 6 years ago

Go for it! You won't be disappointed.

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Seriously the only palette is black/white (grey) for TZ. Due to its many different animations every other palette looks strange to me. White/yellow/dark blue/black is worth a try. But b/w is better

Played a TZ at TPF with an LCD display in it. I didn't talk to the owner so I don't know what it was, but the color palatte was black and white and I have to say as simple as it sounds the effect was striking. There were no discernible dots and the font may have even been different, can't remember and should have taken pics. Totally blew away the original TZ sitting next to it.

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

There were no discernible dots and the font may have even been different, can't remember and should have taken pics.

Most likely a ColorDMD with the Sigma smoothing mode turned on, set to white.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Played a TZ at TPF with an LCD display in it. I didn't talk to the owner so I don't know what it was, but the color palatte was black and white and I have to say as simple as it sounds the effect was striking. There were no discernible dots and the font may have even been different, can't remember and should have taken pics. Totally blew away the original TZ sitting next to it.

The TZ at TPF had an original ColorDMD SIGMA display. There is no substitute.

TPF_TZ.jpg

#197 6 years ago

It was beautiful, that's all I know.

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The TZ at TPF had an original ColorDMD SIGMA display. There is no substitute.

For balance, there is no substitute unless... you need to replace a large Sega screen... you'd like to use your own choice of colours instead of a fixed set of shades... you don't have $400 to splash on a replacement for your plasma screen...

#199 6 years ago

I'm thinking about giving this a try. Does anyone have a tried and true source for compatible up-to-date parts (display and driver combo) in the US?

#200 6 years ago

Display/driver combo? Do you mean LCD/controller board? If so I put all the links in the opening post in this thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 16.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Hero, VT
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 19.00
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside