New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 67366)

DMD Extender Discussion (ColorDMD Alternative)

By Crash

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 730 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PohodaVole
  • Topic is favorited by 213 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 221 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
IMAG0365_(resized).jpg
20160317_174701_(resized).jpg
20160315_170305_(resized).jpg
20160314_092007_(resized).jpg
20160314_210946_(resized).jpg
20160314_091953_(resized).jpg
20160314_092021_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_2_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_1_(resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto_2015-12-29_um_14.11.29_(resized).png
411300.jpg
20150711_064903.jpg
20150711_065112.jpg
20150710_224951.jpg
IMG_20150624_213437785.jpg

There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 15.
#101 7 years ago

Inverter supplies power for flourescent backlit displays. Those are less common these days so I would avoid it. All the panels I have been looking at use LED backlights.

#102 7 years ago

Ahhh....got it. My panel is also LED backlit. Thanks.

#103 7 years ago

Changed title to "DIY 128x32 / 192x64 Color LCD" to reflect info on Sega displays.

#104 7 years ago

If you do a large Sega display writeup you should start a new thread imo. That will be of interest to a lot of people. Great job btw

#105 7 years ago

I don't think it needs a new thread considering everything is the same except the display size. I want to keep things uniform and discussion centralized.

#106 7 years ago

For some reason I recall an inverter being necessary for non-LED backlighting. But I'm probably mistaken.

edit: Oops, didn't notice the second page before I responded. My bad.

#107 7 years ago

Don't forget that there's a full write up with pictures of replacing a Sega screen on my web site...
http://www.drpinball.co.uk/docs/ApplicationNote1.pdf

#108 7 years ago

Awesome work - you guys are to be applauded.

Now if only someone would make an LCD panel sized like a standard DMD this could go in the stupid Sega Showcase without a major hack to the backbox.

viperrwk

#109 7 years ago

Question for anyone that's used this controller: Evidently there is a voltage jumper with options for 3.3v, 5v, and 12v. It is set to 3.3v by default and we are powering it with a 12v supply. Does this need to be changed to 12v? Reason being is ever since we put this together the regulator on that controller board is getting quite warm, almost too hot to touch even with a heatsink.

#110 7 years ago

Not sure on settings, but for that particular board I installed a fan since all the chips seemed to get quite hot.

#111 7 years ago

Well the regulator is running at about 70C IIRC which is well within limits of the component spec correct? Also since this board is configured specifically to work with this type of display it would make more sense that that is the screen voltage, not the input voltage.

Also, for documentation's sake I listed the exact name of the panel and controller I used in the original post.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well the regulator is running at about 70C IIRC which is well within limits of the component spec correct? Also since this board is configured specifically to work with this type of display it would make more sense that that is the screen voltage, not the input voltage.
Also, for documentation's sake I listed the exact name of the panel and controller I used in the original post.

You might ask njytouch support, though I haven't found them to be very helpful. I was noticing some red artifacts being generated after it was powered on for about a half hour. I was assuming it was heat related but their support suggests not having the controller board near other electronics... well that's not going to happen in this application.

#113 7 years ago

It's been running 24/7 since Friday afternoon and has been working perfectly. Temp reading in the regulator today is 76.6C. I'd say that's well within spec especially considering its been running over 3 straight days without hiccups.

#114 7 years ago

D'oh, another display died today. Looks like White Water is next, Sega kit still on the back burner.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

D'oh, another display died today. Looks like White Water is next, Sega kit still on the back burner.

If you haven't ordered another yet, in my JP display thread I linked to a US seller with a smaller controller board comparably priced to the one from njytouch. I'd share the link here, but I'm on my phone. I haven't done much in the way of stress testing, but got it and the RPi installed next to the DMD controller board on the back of the LCD. Kind of all packed in, but they all fit.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

If you haven't ordered another yet, in my JP display thread I linked to a US seller with a smaller controller board comparably priced to the one from njytouch. I'd share the link here, but I'm on my phone. I haven't done much in the way of stress testing, but got it and the RPi installed next to the DMD controller board on the back of the LCD. Kind of all packed in, but they all fit.

Wow these things are cheap! The one I found before is $37 and is on par with the same size. All you would need is an HDMI to DVI adapter plug.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370796210733

#117 7 years ago

Here it is: ebay.com link » Hdmi Vga Av Audio Lcd Controller Board With Usb Port For Mp3 Jpeg File Remote

He's a good seller. The first board I got from him had color issues. I didn't actually install it until like a month after I got it, and when I discovered the issue I was out of the warranty period listed on eBay, but he gave suggestions on troubleshooting and let me exchange it. Needless to say it was nice dealing with someone in the US when working on an exchange.

The same seller has another controller (ebay.com link » Hdmi Vga 2av Lcd Controller Board For Lots Of Lcd Panels
) with a slightly smaller footprint, but that's the one that had color problems when I used it with my display, and I opted for the board in the first link as a replacement rather than trying the same one again. The problem may have just been a defect in the board, and a replacement might have worked fine.

#118 7 years ago

Uugh. Seriously?? When it rains it pours.

image.jpg
#119 7 years ago

Sorry to see that but you should get colordmd for TAF. It's just so awesome

#120 7 years ago

Dr who update, parts are in, fired up and looks to be running well. Just cnc cutting a new speaker board ( could not be asked to deal with Dmd screws, plus I upgraded the speakers). Pick to come.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from mameman:

Dr who update, parts are in, fired up and looks to be running well. Just cnc cutting a new speaker board ( could not be asked to deal with Dmd screws, plus I upgraded the speakers). Pick to come.

Sounds awesome! I'd imagine some variations of TARDIS blue would look good for a color scheme.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Uugh. Seriously?? When it rains it pours.

Is that a different one? At least you've got the method down.

#123 7 years ago

Yeah we have 2.

Quoted from Erik:

Sorry to see that but you should get colordmd for TAF. It's just so awesome

I think they look awesome too but as a route op we can't justify spending that much for a drop-in replacement. A $250 kit is something we can do IF we find the money. We have over a dozen machines that will need converting at some point (some immediately as you can tell). Now if these were my home games then yeah I'd do it in a heartbeat. But an op's situation is far different from that.

#124 7 years ago

If the goal is a functional replacement on a budget, why not just pick up a used plasma for under $150?
We produced quite a supply of these over the past 18 months.

Although we've focused on fully assembled plug-and-play solutions, we could produce a reduced-cost ColorDMD multicolor or single-color kit in the future. We're interested in hearing feedback from others.

Anyone with an interest in this, please PM me or send an email to info@colordmd.com.

#125 7 years ago

Plasmas seem like the obvious solution but in the long term they do outgas. And it's not just the 128x32 displays that helped form the decision to go LCD, it also started with an outgassing large Sega DMD (which is the last working one we have) and a burned out WPC display driver board. I bought a $15 rebuild kit and as soon as I started replacing stuff the board was literally disintegrating from 20 years of heat. It didn't take long to figure out that plasma is not a long term solution, at least not for us. That would require at least a piggyback power supply (or a new driver board altogether) not to mention a new $150 plasma to go with it, talking on a game-per-game basis. When you figure the total costs it's pretty spot-on with $250, and the benefits of modern tech (and not to mention color) is a solid investment for any route operator. And what's better is that same fried DMD board is running in my example. The logic stuff is still good. Ever since I got back into this hobby I've made quite the effort to improve our fairly bleak situation as operators. This includes minimizing costs to keep our games running for years to come, and going LCD makes a lot of sense. If it's not a DMD going out, it's a driver board or some other high voltage issue.

It looks like people are looking for an "in the middle" solution both cost-wise and functionality-wise. I think you're on to something with a more basic kit. A good price point would be around $300. I'd say go for it!

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Although we've focused on fully assembled plug-and-play solutions, we could produce a reduced-cost ColorDMD multicolor or single-color kit in the future. We're interested in hearing feedback from others.

Quoted from Crash:

It looks like people are looking for an "in the middle" solution both cost-wise and functionality-wise. I think you're on to something with a more basic kit. A good price point would be around $300. I'd say go for it!

Hmm....is this a year ago?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-anyone-with-a-colordmd-and-a-youtube-account-do-me-a-favor

Hard to believe I've been saying it for a year(feels like longer ), but....I'd be down for a single-color selectable display kit at about $250 from ColorDMD. I think $300 prices them out of direct competition with XPin and $250 makes it a no brainer for those considering a DMDExtender setup that don't know where to start with respect to color palettes that work well and don't have much faith in their own abilities to assemble all the fiddly bits involved with such an undertaking. I also believe a single color ColorDMD kit at $250 would be an extremely viable option purely for DMD replacement alone. If my DMD needed replacement, I'd happily spend the extra hundred just to get rid of that high pitched buzz/noise that comes from the HV board! Of course, being able to change colors simply because it's Wednesday is a nice feature, too.

So now that we've come full circle......

9e9.gif
#127 7 years ago

With the relatively low cost of LCD displays (around $40-$50), I am very surprised that someone has not started selling a kit for around $250 that lets the user select a single color from a variety of selectable colors to display the traditional dots style.
It would essentially put the old plasma and LED DMD's out of business.

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

If the goal is a functional replacement on a budget, why not just pick up a used plasma for under $150?
We produced quite a supply of these over the past 18 months.
Anyone with an interest in this, please PM me or send an email to info@colordmd.com.

What's this? Seeing what competition offers and trying to match it? People got seriously upset with me in my thread where I suggested that competion, specifically around DMD LCD replacement (and colorization for that matter) would be a good thing...

#129 7 years ago

What's this? Seeing what competition offers and trying to match it? People got seriously upset with me in my thread where I suggested that competion, specifically around DMD LCD replacement (and colorization for that matter) would be a good thing...

Dude, tell me about it! I remember getting reamed in that same thread for those same reasons!

Perhaps we should provide a link to that thread here too, just so people understand the on-going history of this whole situation....

#130 7 years ago

Hi guys, great thread, thanks for supporting the project.

I've just started a new thread in modding to discuss the latest updates and future direction for DMD Extender.

Cheers, David.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from mameman:

Just a quick update on the dr who conversion. Finally had time to cut a new speaker panel while I was doing some other work. Cut this one to take the speaker upgrade. Should be a direct replacement .
image.jpg

#134 6 years ago

I can see this working for TAF, too. Are these panels being made specifically for the mounting of the DMDExtender kit?

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I can see this working for TAF, too. Are these panels being made specifically for the mounting of the DMDExtender kit?

Going to depend on what screen you go with. But yes if someone needed it with a captured type slot to hold the panel I could. For me it was a case of not wanting to deal with taking the stock Dmd screws out and replacing the smaller speaker.

#136 6 years ago

My memory is that people got upset over the notion that ColorDMD shouldn't be able to protect their patents or methods, not that no one else shouldn't be able to try and colorize things.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My memory is that people got upset over the notion that ColorDMD shouldn't be able to protect their patents or methods, not that no one else shouldn't be able to try and colorize things.

You're partially right, but there were those that came out and said that they should have no competition as well. I remember because that's when I chimed in....

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from mameman:

Just a quick update on the dr who conversion. Finally had time to cut a new speaker panel while I was doing some other work. Cut this one to take the speaker upgrade. Should be a direct replacement .

image.jpg 124 KB

That ST panel looks great! How would you mount it though?

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

That ST panel looks great! How would you mount it though?

lol, thanks.

the ST themed panel is for one of my virtual pin's I am building. I replicated the artwork for the ST25 pin, and this will be the wpc style panel for that one. it mounts in 1/2" channel like the dr who era style panels and the old hooks over on the back.

2 weeks later
#140 6 years ago

Bump for visibility. Seriously, the White Water conversion isn't far off. Paying for this stuff just sucks when your route brings in $20 per machine per week.

1 week later
#141 6 years ago

Mameman how is your Doctor Who conversion coming?

#142 6 years ago

I just completed a Batman Forever conversion. Used your TAF color pallet to start with.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-large-dmd-issue-batman-forever

#143 6 years ago

I'm debating doing this to my SST. I need to do some more looking inside the head and measuring, since its one of them funky Curved 'showcase' pins.

#144 6 years ago

Looks great!! Though I may suggest a deeper green.

#145 6 years ago

Thanks Crash. Any suggestions with the colors would be much appreciated!!!

#146 6 years ago

Maybe max out the saturation setting on your display?

#147 6 years ago

A bump for prying eyes.

1 week later
#148 6 years ago

I have to say that I am a mod person. The hobby for me is restore, mod, and play. The play is the best part but when someone stops buy and commits on my mods I always feel good. Of the mods that i have done the color Baywatch gets far more comments then anything else. I'm not saying it gets played more then the White Water worth Color DMD but it gets more plays then my two other pins. People just love seeing color.

Stuck with two large used Sega large DMD's in the closet I would recommend going color vs. used.

Waldo34

1 month later
#149 6 years ago

I started colorizing White Water manually to get an idea of a good palette. Here's a general idea of what it will look like. I don't have definitive results though as I don't understand how the Extender software represents the plane modulation (alternating) between dim/off, dim/med, and med/off. Honestly figuring that out would be harder than trying it 10+ times over on the bench...

whitewater1.png
whitewater2.png

#150 6 years ago

Also, several awesome Frankenstein shots using softwaretroll's Lord of the Rings palette:

frankie1.png frankie2.png frankie3.png frankie4.png frankie5.png frankie6.png 160145.png 160375.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside