(Topic ID: 67366)

DMD Extender Discussion (ColorDMD Alternative)

By Crash

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 730 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PohodaVole
  • Topic is favorited by 213 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
IMAG0365_(resized).jpg
20160317_174701_(resized).jpg
20160315_170305_(resized).jpg
20160314_092007_(resized).jpg
20160314_210946_(resized).jpg
20160314_091953_(resized).jpg
20160314_092021_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_2_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_1_(resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto_2015-12-29_um_14.11.29_(resized).png
411300.jpg
20150711_064903.jpg
20150711_065112.jpg
20150710_224951.jpg
IMG_20150624_213437785.jpg

There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
#701 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I would still check the voltage at J1 to be sure.

Will do. As the wires are soldered directly to the back of J1 on this game, what should I be doing if the voltage is lower than expected?

Thank you for your all your help!

#702 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

i don't see any shades.

Will be going back and putting in different colours when the pinball is all working 100%.

#703 8 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Will do. As the wires are soldered directly to the back of J1 on this game, what should I be doing if the voltage is lower than expected?
Thank you for your all your help!

Trace the cable back to the source, should be coming off the power supply board. If it is low, reseat it and measure again.

#704 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Trace the cable back to the source, should be coming off the power supply board. If it is low, reseat it and measure again.

Yep, I know the connector (CN5 or CN6 from memory) on the power supply board and the wire....at least that one hasn't been soldered directly to the board. Will measure it and report back.

3 weeks later
#705 7 years ago

Has anyone used a DMD extender on an Independence Day? If so, can you please share the color palette you used?

If not, I'm looking for color suggestions.

Looks like I will need to modify the speaker panel slightly to make the LCD fit, but can be done.

1 month later
#706 7 years ago

A further tech question. Maverick played fine for a week, but now the software version flashes up on the screen at random intervals and then goes back to the regular graphics. Would this be a game ROM, voltage issue or something come unplugged in the DMD Extender board?

#707 7 years ago

Loose connection on the voltage coming into the DMD board was the issue when mine was doing this. Check the connectors on both ends.

#708 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballTiger225:

Loose connection on the voltage coming into the DMD board was the issue when mine was doing this. Check the connectors on both ends.

Is that the connector going to J4 or one of the ribbon cables?

Thank you kindly for the reply! Much appreciated.
Adam.

#710 7 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Has anyone used a DMD extender on an Independence Day? If so, can you please share the color palette you used?
If not, I'm looking for color suggestions.
Looks like I will need to modify the speaker panel slightly to make the LCD fit, but can be done.

You might consider one of the RGB LED panel solutions, instead. They come in at the same footprint as a standard DMD and won't require modifying the speaker panel. Someone earlier in this thread shows an LCD in X-Files, but there's no way I'm altering my Starship Troopers now that the RGB panels are available, and I'm an advocate for DMD Extender.

2 weeks later
#711 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Ironically enough I had my last working DMD board start acting up on me today. We tried to repair it but the board has disintegrated too much from the years of heat. But of course the logic section is still good meaning it will work with a low voltage display. So after seeing what winteriscoming did with his JP we said, "What the heck?" and decided to outfit our Addams Family with a "poor man's color DMD." Winteriscoming, thanks a heck of a lot for disclosing the details of your build. I have absolutely no experience working with laptop displays and how the controller must be programmed and wired to work with a specific brand of panel. Listing the exact parts you used saves me a lot of time and trouble. Plus, your work looks awesome!! The Rasberry Pi arrived today, just waiting on the Extender, converter board, and LCD. Man this is going to be one sweet mod...
Raspberry Pi Model A Plus 256MB RAM A+ UK Mini Linux Computer Board - Element 14: $27
ebay.com link
DMD Extender board from Dr. Pinball: $100
http://www.drpinball.co.uk/howtobuy.htm
HDMI DVI VGA Audio controller board for 15.6" B156HW01 LP156WF1 1920x1080 lcd: $30
ebay.com link » Hdmi Dvi Vga Audio Controller Board For 15 6 B156hw01 Lp156wf1 1920x1080 Lcd
NEW LG PHILIPS LP156WF1(TL)(B2) LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 15.6: $58
ebay.com link » New Lg Philips Lp156wf1 Tl B2 Laptop Lcd Screen 15 6
If you have Maverick, Frankenstein, Baywatch, or Batman Forever you will need this display instead:
LAPTOP LCD LED SCREEN 17.3" FOR LG LP173WF1(TL)(C1) LP173WF1-TLC1: $60
ebay.com link
I have written a brief connectivity guide for large Sega displays, but it will work with any setup as long as you have the correct parts for your game and configure the software to use the correct machine manufacturer setting. The new version of the Extender uses Raspberry Pi model A plus/B plus now.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/10#post-2237459
I will also be following Herg's Tron conversion for guidance: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-colordmd-installation-in-stern-sam-tron

Update! ALY has written a fantastic setup guide to supplement my instructions.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colorized-dmd-with-dmd-extender-diy
And HighProtein has made a great setup video explaining the entire assembly process.
» YouTube video

I'm not a tech guy... Would you sell a complete plug'n'play kit?

PS: Sorry if that question was previously asked somewhere but I'm too lazy to go through all 15 pages of this thread!

#712 7 years ago

I think Dr. Pinball sells a kit. Send him an email.

[email protected]

#713 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I think Dr. Pinball sells a kit. Send him an email.
[email protected]

I will! Thank you!

#714 7 years ago

Has anyone installed the DMD extender / LCD into a Congo?

I have mine ready to go. Went with a lot of green and it looks very good...

Only thing is - there is a 2 inch thick housing on the back of the backglass containing the lights. So, it hits the top inch of the lcd, can't get it into the backbox.

Trying to figure out the best way to modify it to get it to fit, without causing too much damage.

Any ideas? I'm not counting on RGB LED solutions.

#715 7 years ago

Is there room to move the LCD down behind the plastic channel the speaker panel fits in? I think others have done WPC-95 lightbox games without issues.

#716 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Is there room to move the LCD down behind the plastic channel the speaker panel fits in? I think others have done WPC-95 lightbox games without issues.

No room. Even if you sit the lcd on the bottom of the back box, it still sits too high, about an inch.

Hoping someone can post a pic of how they did it.

3 weeks later
#717 7 years ago

Finally got around to installing mine in my Baywatch. Used Crash's color palette and turned out really nice.. looks darker in his pics may need to adjust my brightness and contrast on my screen

Got the image centered in the window and stretched it as far as I could -99 both top and bottom but still have some space on top and bottom, do I have to use a hdmi to dvi converter to fix this or has anyone figured out another way?

IMAG0365_(resized).jpgIMAG0365_(resized).jpg

#718 7 years ago

Looks great! Unfortunately the DVI adapter is the only way I know to fix it. This changes the output resolution. You can try lowering the resolution in the config program but this has only shrunk the image for me. It's been quite a long time since I discussed this with David. I would give him a message and ask for his opinion.

#719 7 years ago

did some more testing and also spoke with David. he says the hdmi and dvi should have the same output but i still have some blank space so i am going to order the dvi converter and see if it makes any difference. Crash do you have a pic of your completed baywatch after you converted to the DVI?

#720 7 years ago

Just plug the HDMI cable into the DVI adapter and plug the adapter into the DVI port on the controller. For example with a computer monitor:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#721 7 years ago

sorry i should have been more clear i was meaning of your screen borders, wasnt sure if i would be able to get the result i was thinking or if im being too picky with the black edge around the screen. i went ahead and ordered an adapter, they are cheap so not out much if it doesnt work

#722 7 years ago

Yeah mine comes all the way to the edge now. Had to adjust the borders back a bit.

#723 7 years ago

Ordered today for our BW so I am looking forward for the installation

1 week later
#724 7 years ago

Could please someone recommend me good seller who has in stock LG LP173WF1 + compatible controller? The best place would be Europe but I can buy it everywhere using paypal

Thank you!

#725 7 years ago

I'll update the links. You couldn't buy the ones listed in the opening post?

#726 7 years ago

I am sorry I did not check it before because I thought it is old. Is it please possible to use the controller below with 17,3 display?

ebay.com link: HDMI DVI VGA Audio controller board for 15 6 B156HW01 LP156WF1 1920x1080 lcd

I have found this display in my country so I hope it will work together.

http://www.notebook-dily.cz/17-3-lcd-displej-wuxga-full-hd-40pin-led-novy/

Thank you!

#727 7 years ago

The controller is right but I can't guarantee the screen is. That controller board is designed for LG/Philips displays. You can take a chance and see but if you can I would buy the one I listed (or a screen that says LP173WF1).

#728 7 years ago

I ordered that same controller & it won't work on a 17" screen.on eBay,search the screech's numbers & add controller, I got one in CA,Chinese vendor,delivered in 1 week. Hooking up to a MSF went smooth.My Cherry brand DMD has no missing dots or lines, I just wanted the upgrade. I will sell the old one soon.Dr Pinball is very helpful if you need him,nice guy. His kits are not plug & play,you have to supply more parts such as the controller & PI,but,it is worth it.

#729 7 years ago

Btw what do you please think about this set?

ebay.com link:

Thank you!

#730 7 years ago

I have already tested it yesterday using PC monitor and it is really excellent device with great system. Thumbs up to Dr. Pinball!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dayton, OH
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
Hardware
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 24.00
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.