(Topic ID: 67366)

DMD Extender Discussion (ColorDMD Alternative)

By Crash

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 730 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PohodaVole
  • Topic is favorited by 213 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
IMAG0365_(resized).jpg
20160317_174701_(resized).jpg
20160315_170305_(resized).jpg
20160314_092007_(resized).jpg
20160314_210946_(resized).jpg
20160314_091953_(resized).jpg
20160314_092021_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_2_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_1_(resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto_2015-12-29_um_14.11.29_(resized).png
411300.jpg
20150711_064903.jpg
20150711_065112.jpg
20150710_224951.jpg
IMG_20150624_213437785.jpg
There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.
#651 8 years ago
Quoted from TillB:

Screen is always cut etc.

A photo would help. Try to adjust the border parameters (use negative values to stretch the display).

#652 8 years ago

Did you adjust the bottom border value successfully? It's a known issue and can cause hang-ups when set to any non-zero value.

#653 8 years ago

Hey guys

got is working. Looks just fantastic. Here are my values in case somebody might need it for:

* Maverick
* 18,5"

Regards

T

Bildschirmfoto_2015-12-29_um_14.11.29_(resized).pngBildschirmfoto_2015-12-29_um_14.11.29_(resized).png

#654 8 years ago

Ah, you're not using the upside down option. Great!

1 week later
#655 8 years ago

Links good!

#656 8 years ago

How is Doc Pinball doing?

1 week later
#657 8 years ago

want to do this to my Baywatch but not sure if i should go with the dmd extender or smartdmd?

#658 8 years ago

Large Sega support has recently been confirmed with SmartDMD. Is Dr. Pinball still keeping a waiting list?

#659 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Large Sega support has recently been confirmed with SmartDMD. Is Dr. Pinball still keeping a waiting list?

i haven't tried contacting him to find out yet, website says in stock but dont know if its been updated in awhile

#660 8 years ago

I have a couple of the dmd extender kits I bought but never got around to using if anyone is interested send me a PM

#661 8 years ago

No response yet from Dr pinball. Anyone else have a DMD extender they haven't used to sell? Please PM me

#662 8 years ago

I just sent payment for one this week. Not sure when I initially wrote David though but he sent me payment information last Sunday.

#663 8 years ago

what source are you guys using to get power to the lcd controller?

#664 8 years ago

Just a 12v 4A power brick.

#665 8 years ago

Looking for some help. I just picked up a Baywatch and it has an extender in it. Not happy with the color it is more red and yellow than anything. At first I was going to remove the SD card and try setting to Baywatch settings on found on the forums. My question is, if something goes bad on the SD is there a way to get it fixed? Is the software on the card downloadable or do you have to get from Doc? Just trying to find out before I end up with a display that doesn't display. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

#666 8 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

My question is, if something goes bad on the SD is there a way to get it fixed? Is the software on the card downloadable or do you have to get from Doc? Just trying to find out before I end up with a display that doesn't display. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

AFAIK the software is tied to the SD cards and there's not a DIY fix without Dr Pinball's help. Maybe Crash has experience with this?

#667 8 years ago

You can restore the software and product keys yourself if something goes wrong. PM me and I will send you the restore SD card image and explain.

#669 8 years ago

Make as note of your color and border settings as well.

#670 8 years ago

Hi all,
can anyone who has completed the large Sega conversion help me with this question?

I have ordered the Dr Pinball kit and the following LCD display for a Data East Maverick:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141796678402?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am now looking for the LCD controller board and the one listed on the Dr Pinball site (B.NTA92C) is no longer available from the seller "njytouch" and the seller replied saying it had been replaced with "R.RM5451".

Can someone please give me a hand in finding the correct board to purchase? Double checking here in case I buy the wrong board.

Cheers!
Adam.

#671 8 years ago

The board listed on the first page will work. Verify with the seller they will ship to the U.S. I wasn't able to find any boards on the AU site.

#672 8 years ago

also when you get your controller ask what language is the default and also how to change the language. it took me for ever to find it on mine. the default was not english.

#673 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The board listed on the first page will work. Verify with the seller they will ship to the U.S. I wasn't able to find any boards on the AU site.

Awesome! Have ordered the one on the first page. It threw me because the documentation on the Dr Pinball site had a different controller listed.

Have messaged the seller about English as default.

Thanks for your help! Looking forward to tackling this project. It isn't my game and the owner was concerned that this option would be time consuming for me and hard. I said it was better to replace an lcd laptop display if anything bad happened vs the cost of one of those large DMDS.

#674 8 years ago

set up is easy. i spent more time on getting the colors right. on my Frankenstein i had a yellow in there and i thought it looked great until the rain scene and the rain was yellow. i could only laugh at what i had done.

#675 8 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

set up is easy. i spent more time on getting the colors right. on my Frankenstein i had a yellow in there and i thought it looked great until the rain scene and the rain was yellow. i could only laugh at what i had done.

Can't wait!

Ugh. With Chinese New Year holiday, the controller board won't be sent out from China until February 15....which means another 2 weeks after that date for it to arrive in Australia. Oh well, will give me enough time to go over the rest of the machine.

#676 8 years ago

I reached out to David regarding some questions about support, here is his response. The best way to contact him from now on is through email.

First of all thanks for your continued support for the DMD Extender, I
really appreciate it.

The only issue with my personal life is getting time to do things with the
DMD Extender - I have a full time job, a family, and other projects on the
go! It's hard to fit it all in. However, my wife is now helping with the
administration and emails so I'm getting a lot more time to do the
manufacture and testing of the kits that are getting ordered. I'm
continually overwhelmed by the popularity of this thing.

With respect to the DRM, I completely agree with your comments and
sentiments. I have always been concerned about the ease of support for it,
and most of my support issues are about the SD Cards (although I must say
that I don't see many issues at all, considering the number of DMD Extenders
out there). I decided to add DRM because of the amount of work I'd put into
the project - I felt I owed it to myself and family to protect the software.
In terms of the support, I'm not going anywhere and I'll always help people
with issues they have - I don't want to leave anyone with a broken machine.

The DRM itself is based on the unique ID of each SD Card which is built into
the card itself. I really wanted to allow key management through the Windows
config application, but to date I have not found a way of reliably querying
the SD Card to extract the necessary information from within the Windows OS.
As you know, the current route to gaining a new set of keys involves a
replacement kernel file that displays a regeneration key on the screen, but
this is complex.

Also, if a user completely wipes the card, or needs to use a new card, then
the card must be formatted with a FAT16 primary partition of 1GB in size -
some users struggle to achieve this. I do supply the regeneration image that
is designed to do the necessary setup of the card.

So, I need to think about this whole process again. I don't want to remove
the DRM, but it must be easier to manage...
1. I'll write a guide to managing the SD Card so that people know not the
muck around with it.
2. I'll give detailed instructions on how to generate a new card
3. I'll provide a base image file that will do the basic setup
4. I'll amend the software so that the regen key is automatically written to
the SD Card if the current keys are invalid. That way, it's easy for me to
provide new keys - the user just sends me the regen key file, I'll provide
the new keys in a file, and the user can update their config using the
Windows config app.

This is all off the top of my head - I need to think a lot more about it,
but if you have any comments then feel free to get in touch.

I don't get chance to look at Pinside these days, so if you want to post
this response in a relevant thread then go for it.

Best wishes

David.

#677 8 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

I'd be interested in seeing pics and color palettes others have come up with for Frankenstein.

#678 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You can restore the software and product keys yourself if something goes wrong. PM me and I will send you the restore SD card image and explain.

According to David this only works if something happens to the software and the SD card is still good. You WILL need David's help if you're using a different SD card. Sorry about any confusion, it's been a long time since I've messed with it.

#679 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrlbrwn88:

I'd be interested in seeing pics and color palettes others have come up with for Frankenstein.

You can see mine a couple pages back. I love it.

#680 8 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

You can see mine a couple pages back. I love it.

Any chance you could post the color codes you used?

#681 8 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Any chance you could post the color codes you used?

Sorry so late to get back. These are my settings for Frankenstein. Not perfect but I'm pretty happy with it.

DMD_extender_1_(resized).jpgDMD_extender_1_(resized).jpg

DMD_extender_2_(resized).jpgDMD_extender_2_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#682 8 years ago

Just had a big afternoon installing my DMD Extender into a Maverick. The game plays, but the original display was absolutely fried.

This afternoon I installed the specially cut piece of board and installed all parts of the DMD Extender kit. Configured the SD card for Raspberry Pi, etc ....I bought two LG LCD panels off ebay. The first arrived broken (screen looked cracked and the silver trim actually looks bent), so the seller sent me another one.

I installed the broken LCD panel into the pinball today, due to all the issues with the original display, I didn't want to fry the good LCD if there were any issues to start with. I thought it might have powered up, but no life in the broken LCD at all. Now that the broken LCD didn't work, I'm now going to test voltages etc. Another option is to try plugging the DMD extender into a tv with a hdmi port and check if all is working ok.

Can anyone suggest where to start with what voltages I should be measuring?

Cheers!
Adam.

#683 8 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Just had a big afternoon installing my DMD Extender into a Maverick. The game plays, but the original display was absolutely fried.
This afternoon I installed the specially cut piece of board and installed all parts of the DMD Extender kit. Configured the SD card for Raspberry Pi, etc ....I bought two LG LCD panels off ebay. The first arrived broken (screen looked cracked and the silver trim actually looks bent), so the seller sent me another one.
I installed the broken LCD panel into the pinball today, due to all the issues with the original display, I didn't want to fry the good LCD if there were any issues to start with. I thought it might have powered up, but no life in the broken LCD at all. Now that the broken LCD didn't work, I'm now going to test voltages etc. Another option is to try plugging the DMD extender into a tv with a hdmi port and check if all is working ok.
Can anyone suggest where to start with what voltages I should be measuring?
Cheers!
Adam.

I've used a TV for testing, it works good.

And I'm not sure what voltages you think are going to be bad? The large DMDs just use the 5v rail so as long as that is between 4.9v and 5.1v you should be fine.

#684 8 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Sorry so late to get back. These are my settings for Frankenstein. Not perfect but I'm pretty happy with it.

Not perfect? My family and I beg to differ Sir. The colors look awesome! Thanks again for posting them!

#685 8 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

I've used a TV for testing, it works good.
And I'm not sure what voltages you think are going to be bad? The large DMDs just use the 5v rail so as long as that is between 4.9v and 5.1v you should be fine.

Ahhh sweet, will put a small tv on top of the machine tonight and test via hdmi first. Will then put the good LCD in the game and test that.

Just to check that I have it all plugged in correctly, I have a few photos attached to below. Looks like I have a newer DMD extender as it is different to the documentation. Instructions said to put the red line of the ribbon cable on the left.

20160314_092021_(resized).jpg20160314_092021_(resized).jpg

20160314_091953_(resized).jpg20160314_091953_(resized).jpg

#686 8 years ago

You mentioned that you "configured the SD card for the raspberry pi" but that's already done before it ships to you. Did you format the SD card? If so you are screwed until you contact David.

#687 8 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You mentioned that you "configured the SD card for the raspberry pi" but that's already done before it ships to you. Did you format the SD card? If so you are screwed until you contact David.

Nah, didn't format it. What I meant was, I setup the software for the large Sega DMD.

Edit:

Some positive news tonight. Put a tv with hdmi port on top of the pinball and plugged the hdmi cable from the raspberry pi into the tv. I now get the Dr Pinball startup screen and then dots. W00!

Now I have to problem solve and get the LG LCD laptop display going.

Edit 2:

Put new LCD screen in and still no life in it. No flicker. Nothing.

The small controller board the plugs into the lcd has an additional board connected to it and there is an lcd on that board flashing on and off. Just have to work out why the LCD isn't coming on....this board has a connector running to J1 on the dmd controller board.

Edit 3:

I ordered this LCD screen on ebay:

ebay.com link: itm

And this controller board:

Wondering if I bought the wrong controller board and should have bought this one:

#688 8 years ago

Starting to think I ordered the wrong controller board for my laptop lcd. For the guys that had the wrong controller, did anything appear on the display when it was all plugged in or is it blank like mine?

#689 8 years ago

From the beginning David said the 15.6" controller can be used for both screen sizes, and I have confirmed that. Maybe this is no longer the case?

#690 8 years ago

I went back to the beginning of the thread and saw images from the forum user who got the wrong controller. They were getting an image on the screen and I'm not getting any sign of life in the lcd.

I think my next task is to check voltages coming from the dot matrix controller board and double check the fuse didn't blow in the backbox. When Maverick arrived, the original dmd was absolutely fried and one of the fuses had blown. I will also take the lcd display out again and the controller board and power it via ac adapter and make sure the lcd is actually working correctly.

#691 8 years ago

The DMD driver board is not the problem. You get no activity on the LCD, it should come on with an obvious blue/gray tint from the backlight and at a minimum show "no signal." Post a picture of the connectors on your screen and LCD controller. You're using 12v from the game to power the controller right?

#692 8 years ago

That's the thing that I have to test. There is a cable running from the dmd controller board on J1 running to the LCD controller to power it. It mustn't be getting enough voltage to power the LCD.

Have attached an image of the power cable. There is also a connector J4 on that board. Tried it in that, but the blinking led on the lcd controller board doesn't light up at all.

Edit: should the power connector for the lcd controller plug into the DMD extender board instead of the DMD controller board?

20160314_210946_(resized).jpg20160314_210946_(resized).jpg

#693 8 years ago

J1 is an input. It grabs 5v power from the power supply. The LCD controller board gets its power from a 12v source.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/10#post-2237459

#694 8 years ago

I just watched the youtube video where the person connected up the DMD extender to a Batman Forever. I don't have the power cable coming from the lcd controller plugged into the DMD extender. Please see my photo below:

20160314_092007_(resized).jpg20160314_092007_(resized).jpg

#695 8 years ago

Success! This idiot didn't read the original instructions properly and missed the "power out" connector.

Sometimes the Dr Pinball logo will hang and then other times it just got a screen full of dots. Maybe a rom issue?

20160315_170305_(resized).jpg20160315_170305_(resized).jpg

#696 8 years ago

That indicates a communication problem with the DMD driver board. Be sure it's getting no less than 5.00v at the J1 connector.

#697 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

That indicates a communication problem with the DMD driver board. Be sure it's getting no less than 5.00v at the J1 connector.

Will check voltages when I get home tonight.

The previous owner of the game has soldered the wires directly onto J1 and J4. The same for the main power board. A lot of connectors have been removed and wires soldered directly to the board. I might have to send some of the boards off to my board technician for an overhaul. There's also a grey wire soldered onto a connector and running down into the cabinet below the playfield.

#698 8 years ago

Big success! Started looking at the Sega display issues in the Pinrepair guide. Re-seated the display ROMS and bam, now have display.

20160317_174701_(resized).jpg20160317_174701_(resized).jpg

#699 8 years ago

I would still check the voltage at J1 to be sure.

#700 8 years ago

i don't see any shades.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/14?hl=vader77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.