DMD Extender Discussion (ColorDMD Alternative)

(Topic ID: 67366)

DMD Extender Discussion (ColorDMD Alternative)

By Crash

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 730 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PohodaVole
  • Topic is favorited by 216 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 221 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
IMAG0365_(resized).jpg
20160317_174701_(resized).jpg
20160315_170305_(resized).jpg
20160314_092007_(resized).jpg
20160314_210946_(resized).jpg
20160314_091953_(resized).jpg
20160314_092021_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_2_(resized).jpg
DMD_extender_1_(resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto_2015-12-29_um_14.11.29_(resized).png
411300.jpg
20150711_064903.jpg
20150711_065112.jpg
20150710_224951.jpg
IMG_20150624_213437785.jpg

There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.
#501 3 years ago

I got word from David that the new DMD extenders are getting closer to being in stock. The Chinese New Year is holding up production of the boards though right now.

1 week later
#502 3 years ago

Ok I am in need of some assistance. I am trying to get this setup to work on a Batman Forever. I have gone through all of the steps in the guides multiple time and can not get anything to display on the screen. The screen is getting power and verified working by hooking a pc up to it. The raspberry Pi is powering on indicated by the red led. The software is loaded on the SD and configured. The dr pinball logo never comes up. All voltages check out. Any ideas?

#503 3 years ago

I have had some issues with the software not starting about half the time in the latest revisions. Are you sure the lock is not set on the card? Make sure it's in the off position north of the arrow.

#504 3 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Ok I am in need of some assistance. I am trying to get this setup to work on a Batman Forever. I have gone through all of the steps in the guides multiple time and can not get anything to display on the screen. The screen is getting power and verified working by hooking a pc up to it. The raspberry Pi is powering on indicated by the red led. The software is loaded on the SD and configured. The dr pinball logo never comes up. All voltages check out. Any ideas?

Try flashing another SD card with a different image (http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/) - if it boots and you see the OS, the Raspi is fine and you might have a bad SD image from Dr. Pinball. If it still doesn't show anything, you may have a bad raspi.

Can you post some photos of the setup showing how things are connected? It also might be a simple oversight...

#505 3 years ago

Loaded the Noobs OS on the Pi and it works fine. Looks like I have an incompatible SD from Dr. Pinball or something. Nerbflong is sending me another one he has to test with.

#506 3 years ago

Ok got the new SD from Dave and it works! Does anybody have a good palate for Batman Forever? I looked through the thread quickly but didn't see one.

#507 3 years ago

Nevermind, we settled on one

20150319_103617.jpg 20150319_103558.jpg 20150319_103606.jpg 20150319_103612.jpg
#508 3 years ago

Great color palette on your Batman!

1 week later
#509 3 years ago

Got Lethal Weapon 3 done today.

image.jpg
#510 3 years ago

Sweet. What color palettes did you use?

#511 3 years ago

Basically the same one I posted several months back minus the blue background. Search the thread for "Lethal Weapon 3."

#512 3 years ago

Yeah I used that one and changed the light red to bright red. Now I want to mess with them again and try different colors.

#513 3 years ago

Sitting in my gatlinburg hotel room, lights out for the fam after a great day. Trying to figure out which way to go. Are there any significant difference between DMDextender and Smart DMD? I am looking at a Johnny Mnemonic and hoping one day the 16x128 DMD (DATA East) is supported.

#514 3 years ago

Got a BAYWATCH question for this...or I guess it would work on any of the other Sega's from that time.

The kit I got with my game did not come with an instruction sheet and I'm having a hard time locating a template for the plywood piece.

Does anyone have a scan, photo or link to the drawings?

Thanks!

#515 3 years ago

Instructions are here: http://www.drpinball.co.uk/documentation_applicationnotes.htm
I also have it in a Baywatch, works very well

#516 3 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Instructions are here: http://www.drpinball.co.uk/documentation_applicationnotes.htm
I also have it in a Baywatch, works very well

Works well on my BF, just do not get a raspberry pi A+. It won't do the factory overclocks. Worse yet it has to be overclocked or you get artifacts. Even then it still locks up on occasion. Will be upgrading to a b soon.

#517 3 years ago

Hm? That's the first time I've heard it being used with an A+. How did you connect the new GPIO port? Did you use an adapter? I'm surprised it worked at all, and that the original boards could be overclocked.

#518 3 years ago

Has anybody heard if the new DMD Extenders are ready to go yet? I need to grab one or two more.

#519 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Hm? That's the first time I've heard it being used with an A+. How did you connect the new GPIO port? Did you use an adapter? I'm surprised it worked at all, and that the original boards could be overclocked.

Just have to orient it the right way. Someone did it with a B+ before I did. They do not seem to have the overclocking problem I am running into.

#520 3 years ago

I have fallen for Star Trek 25th Anniversary. With a Hook and now the bug for ST25 I think we need DATA East 16x128 support. haha...for me

#521 3 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I have fallen for Star Trek 25th Anniversary. With a Hook and now the bug for ST25 I think we need DATA East 16x128 support. haha...for me

Will the screen fit though? Need pics of the machine with the speaker panel in place and the translite out.

#522 3 years ago

Does anyone have any idea what the two IDs mean at the end of the part number? LP156WF1(TL)(B2). I don't think these have caused any issues for anyone, as long as they get a LP156WF1 (or LP173WF1 for Sega games).

#523 3 years ago

I have an Oversized Sega DMD that works perfect. I would love to trade for one of these setups...anyone interested? Please PM me.

#524 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Will the screen fit though? Need pics of the machine with the speaker panel in place and the translite out.

I'll get you some pics Sunday. Let me know what else you need. Just played Star Trek (25th anni) for about......5 hours today......ohhh I've fallen hard!

#525 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Does anyone have any idea what the two IDs mean at the end of the part number? LP156WF1(TL)(B2). I don't think these have caused any issues for anyone, as long as they get a LP156WF1 (or LP173WF1 for Sega games).

If you Google on it you can find

http://www.panelook.cn/modelsearch.php?panel_part_number=lp156wf1&submit=Search

you will see that the B1 B2 C1 ... stands for difference in specs like contrast/brightness but also viewing angle. On paper the B1 is perhaps the best, high contrast, brightness, good viewing angle. F3 is good to but has a little less brightness allthough people have stated they dont see the difference and apparently (but not sure) this is the display ColorDMD is using

ON my search for these displays I also found that a lot of sellers advertise with LG partnumber but in fact ship a compatible .... I am sure it will work electrically but how compatible is the altenrative in regard to specs like contrast/brightness/viewing angle ??

1 month later
#526 3 years ago

its a pain to get a original LG display

you have to contact all ebay sellers first and ask
or you get a OEM panel

and the OEM don't have a good black value (the most)
wihich is not a problem in a notebook but in a pinball at a dark room
it looks gray (the background)

#527 3 years ago

We have been mounting our panels upside down to improve the viewing angle. You may want to try that.

1 week later
#528 3 years ago

Does anyone know if these are still available? My Franky dmd died last week. I've emailed dr pinball but haven't recieved a response.

Also, anyone have pics of one installed in a MSF? Interested in the colors.

#529 3 years ago

I will have to update the parts links. Dr. Pinball should have these available again. I will update the Rasberry Pi link with the model A+ board. This is designed to work with the new Extender board. I would place an order via email and just verify with David that the new version is now available.

Search the thread for "Frankenstein." I tested softwaretroll's Lord of the Rings color palette and it looks really good on this game. Good luck!

#530 3 years ago

Thanks crash. How long does it usually take David to respond? I've emailed from 2 separate accounts to the info at dr pinball. Is there another email i should be using?

#531 3 years ago

There is a second Dr. Pinball on the web.

pins@drpinball.co.uk

#532 3 years ago

The above address is David's.

#533 3 years ago

Excellent. Thanks!

#534 3 years ago

Was that the one you were using?

#535 3 years ago

No. I was using the one From the Web site, "info@drpinball..."

David had already responded. Thank you so much. Getting ready to place an order. Can't wait to try this out. Love new projects and technology.

#536 3 years ago

So did he say the new boards are ready?

#537 3 years ago

I didn't ask. Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference?

#538 3 years ago

No problem, it's not really well-known. Dr. Pinball over last the few months has performed a mostly unannounced "soft roll-out" of a new DMD Extender board. This new design is to complement the obsolescence of the original Raspberry Pi model As and model Bs. There is a new line of computers (Raspberry Pi A+ and B+) that use a different serial interface (GPIO) port that is physically incompatible with the old model.

#539 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

So did he say the new boards are ready?

A couple weeks ago he said they were in an email to me.

#540 3 years ago

Crash, the controller board you have listed in your inventory is for the 15.6 screen. Is that the same one you used for the large Sega display?

Thank you so much for the write-ups and advise. I'm making a list and ordering. Just want to make sure I order the right stuff!

#541 3 years ago

Nevermind... if I would have read further in the thread I see the same board is being used. Thanks!

#542 3 years ago

Does anyone have experience with smartdmd in data east large display pinball like baywatch or Frankenstein?

1 week later
#543 3 years ago

Has anybody heard from Dr pinball recently. I placed an order a couple weeks back and haven't heard anything. Hoping everything is good. ..

#544 3 years ago

My Frankenstein display is still working fine, but its just a matter of time? Maybe I should start collecting this stuff now, as this pin isn't leaving the house?

#545 3 years ago

I'll let you know how mine turns out and post pics. Just got an email that my extender is shipping tomorrow! Sssswwwwweeeeetttt! Can't wait to get started.

#546 3 years ago

Which color palette will you be using?

#547 3 years ago

I'll probably start with the one you listed for LOTR and go from there. Can't wait to give it a go.

#548 3 years ago

Would love to see some pics of this in a Rocky and Bullwinkle, the installation pics, no bg etc..or similar machine

#549 3 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Has anybody heard from Dr pinball recently. I placed an order a couple weeks back and haven't heard anything. Hoping everything is good. ..

I'm still waiting almost 2 weeks on a response.

#550 3 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

My Frankenstein display is still working fine, but its just a matter of time? Maybe I should start collecting this stuff now, as this pin isn't leaving the house?

I would sell the DMD at $400 and buy the Extender kit for $250. A good way to give a purist an original DMD that works perfectly fine and that way you won't have a worthless paperweight when it dies.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 23.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Trade
$ 53.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Tim's Pinball Mods
$ 38.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.99
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 730 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside