image.jpg
IMGA0731.JPG
IMGA0730.JPG
IMGA0729.JPG
IMGA0728.JPG
IMGA0727.JPG
IMGA0726.JPG
IMGA0725.JPG
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from gtown:

LaserBall done up the MustangPaul way:

LaserBall.jpg 61 KB

Looks great. Which way did ya wire it? There are so many different ways you can do it. How many bulbs did you have left over? Let's see the back side. I just did my Bay Watch, the big inserts got 2 bulbs which makes the wiring more difficult.

IMGA0737.JPGIMGA0737.JPG
IMGA0739.JPGIMGA0739.JPG

#52 9 years ago

Here's the back of mine.

back.jpgback.jpg

I followed your advice and went one bulb for the small and 2 for the large. Not as many inserts on this so a lot got 2 lights. I started at the bottom middle with the control box so the plug would hang down and then worked my way up and counterclockwise so I could leave the end female plug also at the bottom (to the left of the box). Not that I expect to use that but that'll be the best place in case I do.

I probably had about 15 or more extra lights so I snaked it back to the middle to give each of the 10 rollovers in that triangle formation a 3rd light. I planned mine out from the start and knew I'd have a lot extra but unfortunately didn't think of using them for the rollovers until the end.

Some notes:

This can be a one person job but you'll probably want help after taping up the holes on the back. I had my wife slowly pass a flashlight over it while I watched for light coming through and then taped them up. The other option is to tape every single hole, but about half don't go through (and the ones you don't think go through probably do).

One thing nice thing about these lights is that there's a good distance between each bulb and the stems themselves are long so with the right planning you can avoid wasted bulbs as you stretch to reach the next insert. It doesn't matter which way the bulb enters the insert so position it based on your next insert.

Here I have it pointing left so I can then hit the next insert by pointing right
stretch.jpgstretch.jpg
Also, don't spend a lot on the paper. I only used one sheet so I could have bought even cheaper stuff and doubled it up.

Use good scissors because Gorilla tape is hard to cut and you want a lot of it. I tried to get by with smaller pieces than in MustangPaul's pics and may need to go back over it to block out the light bleeding through.

Most of the choices are on the light show box work pretty well (except the one where it alternates groups of 3 since they don't line up in groups on the PF) the super fast flashing. Right now I have it on a setting that seems to cycle through all the modes.

#53 9 years ago

A quick, poorly lit, sideways video of the lights in action:

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from gtown:

Here's the back of mine.

I followed your advice and went one bulb for the small and 2 for the large. Not as many inserts on this so a lot got 2 lights. I started at the bottom middle with the control box so the plug would hang down and then worked my way up and counterclockwise so I could leave the end female plug also at the bottom (to the left of the box). Not that I expect to use that but that'll be the best place in case I do.
I probably had about 15 or more extra lights so I snaked it back to the middle to give each of the 10 rollovers in that triangle formation a 3rd light. I planned mine out from the start and knew I'd have a lot extra but unfortunately didn't think of using them for the rollovers until the end.
Some notes:
This can be a one person job but you'll probably want help after taping up the holes on the back. I had my wife slowly pass a flashlight over it while I watched for light coming through and then taped them up. The other option is to tape every single hole, but about half don't go through (and the ones you don't think go through probably do).
One thing nice thing about these lights is that there's a good distance between each bulb and the stems themselves are long so with the right planning you can avoid wasted bulbs as you stretch to reach the next insert. It doesn't matter which way the bulb enters the insert so position it based on your next insert.
Here I have it pointing left so I can then hit the next insert by pointing right

Also, don't spend a lot on the paper. I only used one sheet so I could have bought even cheaper stuff and doubled it up.
Use good scissors because Gorilla tape is hard to cut and you want a lot of it. I tried to get by with smaller pieces than in MustangPaul's pics and may need to go back over it to block out the light bleeding through.
Most of the choices are on the light show box work pretty well (except the one where it alternates groups of 3 since they don't line up in groups on the PF) the super fast flashing. Right now I have it on a setting that seems to cycle through all the modes.

back.jpg 69 KB

stretch.jpg 29 KB

You did a real fine job on that and the next one you do will go even faster but every game will have it's challenges for running your wires. I put my playfields on padder saw horses and have a light on the floor shining up to see the small holes I have to tape over. Did you have the leds lit when you positioned them? What's your next playfield?

#55 9 years ago

I didn't worry too much about positioning since all the inserts are round. I just plugged it in to spot check every so often as I went along. This is my only one but maybe I'll find another at TPF this year.

#56 9 years ago

I bought all the rest of the ones im using from Amazon. Oops! 12 playfields here I come!

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I bought all the rest of the ones im using from Amazon. Oops! 12 playfields here I come!

Oh your gonna be busy.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh your gonna be busy.

This method is awesome and takes maybe 20-30min!

#59 9 years ago

This review is hilarious for the Lights that were linked at the beginning of this thread. Check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R25UWS92C9K6ZJ/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl

HAHA! WTH were they doing?

--Scott

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

This method is awesome and takes maybe 20-30min!

What? You must have 5 people helping. Your not doing them like I do mine then cuz it takes me about 4 hours to do one.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

This review is hilarious for the Lights that were linked at the beginning of this thread. Check this out.
amazon.com link »
HAHA! WTH were they doing?
--Scott

Now that's funny. Never had a problem like that thank god.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What? You must have 5 people helping. Your not doing them like I do mine then cuz it takes me about 4 hours to do one.

What? Seriously? I cut all the tape strips and stick to side of PF. That takes maybe 5min?

Then I start taping to the back of the PF with lights on one of the modes so I can tell which lights are together and put two in the larger inserts since they arent the brightest lights ever. My wife was watching friends episodes on plex and I did the whole PF in under 2 episodes. So 40min max and I had to search and search for the tape too around the house during that same time.

#63 9 years ago

Use good tape. I did this with a PF years ago and bunk tape fell off after a month-ish

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

What? Seriously? I cut all the tape strips and stick to side of PF. That takes maybe 5min?
Then I start taping to the back of the PF with lights on one of the modes so I can tell which lights are together and put two in the larger inserts since they arent the brightest lights ever. My wife was watching friends episodes on plex and I did the whole PF in under 2 episodes. So 40min max and I had to search and search for the tape too around the house during that same time.

100 tape strips to tape down the lights plus another 60 bigger pieces to cover the lights that are taped down plus all the smaller strips needed to cover all the slot and other small holes plus cutting to size and taping down all the black paper to cover all the big holes takes you 20-40 minutes? Sorry but I'd have to see it to believe it. Also I rip all the pieces of tape because the Gorilla tape kept gumming up my sizzers.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Use good tape. I did this with a PF years ago and bunk tape fell off after a month-ish

Yup that's why I use Gorilla tape. At first I tried using mini incandescent lights but with the wire being so thick even the Gorilla tape wouldn't hold the tightly bent thick wires down. With the thin wires of the led lights Gorilla tape works like a champ. But after ripping 150 strips of that tape I didn't think I had any finger prints left on those fingers. The tape is THAT sticky.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

100 tape strips to tape down the lights plus another 60 bigger pieces to cover the lights that are taped down plus all the smaller strips needed to cover all the slot and other small holes plus cutting to size and taping down all the black paper to cover all the big holes takes you 20-40 minutes? Sorry but I'd have to see it to believe it. Also I rip all the pieces of tape because the Gorilla tape kept gumming up my sizzers.

I cut all tape with a specific pair of scissors and then maybe once I use too gone on a rag and keep going. I cut 100s of strips weekly for pinballbulbs led strip packs. Practice I guess

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I cut all tape with a specific pair of scissors and then maybe once I use too gone on a rag and keep going. I cut 100s of strips weekly for pinballbulbs led strip packs. Practice I guess

Oh....you cheat then.

#68 9 years ago

Agreed - mine probably took 2 hours and I didn't do enough taping

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yup that's why I use Gorilla tape.

Yep that's all I use...my original was Duct Tape...wtf ever happened to that stuff? Weak sauce...3M brand and everything.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yep that's all I use...my original was Duct Tape...wtf ever happened to that stuff? Weak sauce...3M brand and everything.

Yeah Duct tape is crap, the threads they use aren't woven tight enough is part of it. I had to strip one of mine because the controller broke and it took about 20 minutes to rip everything off of it. That Gorilla tape just would not let go and it left a bunch of glue behind that I had to use the sticky side of a piece of tape to press on the glue that was left behind to pull it off. So actually I've done 9 playfields.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

3m brand duct tape sucks ass. Get nashua.

But gorilla tape is the shit!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P58CYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00 - these scissors rock in regards to barely needing to be cleaned when cutting loads of gorilla tape.

#72 9 years ago

Just did afm and timed it. Took 31 min including cutting tape/paper and doubling up all inserts that needed it with a matching light. Was watching tv with no urgency.

What part usually takes you so long currently?

2 weeks later
#73 9 years ago

So I'm almost finished with my fathom. I am still waiting for my translucent blue flippers and trying to find the left flipper plastic but I'm happy with the results so far

image.jpgimage.jpg image-690.jpgimage-690.jpg
#74 9 years ago

My video won't load up no idea why

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

So I'm almost finished with my fathom. I am still waiting for my translucent blue flippers and trying to find the left flipper plastic but I'm happy with the results so far

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
image-690.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Ooooo nice but could ya take a picture with the room lights down lower so we can see the inserts better and leave the leds on constant lit. Keep trying with the vid. I like it with the plastics on too.

#76 9 years ago

Got my flippers on, just need the one plastic by the flipper, and need rubbers for the flippers but im very happy with it overall. Thanks for the simple idea.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#77 9 years ago

Man am I having a tough time getting a good pic but you get the idea.

#78 9 years ago

Yeah it's tough to get a good low light picture but now we can see it lit up better. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 259.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-15-pf-wall-hanging-light-up/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.