dixie (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_4164 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
IMG_4157 (resized).JPG
IMG_4156 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baldtwit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#83 6 years ago

when the rivets have dried grease and other crud on them, sandpaper isn't ideal as it will gum up quickly. Aslo, you don't want to put scratches in the rivets (or contacts), so make sure it's really fine sandpaper if using that.

try a green scrub pad or synthetic steel wool ... wet it with a solvent like denatured alcohol and use that to get the grease off, then a rag wetted with the same solvent. Let the solvent evaporate before making sparks in there.

a solenoid (coil + plunger) in a bingo should never be held on. The coil will get warm, then hot, then red hot, then one of the following:
- replace a fuse
- replace the coil
- you'll be making your fire insurance claim and getting a rebuilt house

the replay register is getting stepped up by CU 7A switch. It'll do that forever. As you've figured out, the replay counter is what stops the payout when the wipers have stepped off the actives copper trace(s). If your replay counter step-up solenoid is stuck on, the replay counter wipers won't move and you get runaway payout.

the 96 step (max) replay counter is getting stepped by the stuff around schem G-17. It's more complicated because that circuit takes care of the following functions:
- paying wins greater than 96. It does that by using switches on different cams. The cams have different numbers of lobes on them, so the ratio of credits added to replay counter steps changes.
- the X2 trip relays handle 9th and 10th coin doubling
- the double win #2 relays handles winning a double-or-nothing play
- double relays #1, #2 and the alternator unit switch handle 11th coin double-double

if you're playing a 1-coin game and get a win, CU 8 is the switch that steps the replay counter. It will step once after 4 credits have been added (look at the lobes on cam 7 and 8 to see why), and one step is enough to get the wipers off the 4 trace.

when the replay counter steps off the active trace(s), the search wipers should release immediately. If that's not happening, take a look a the bottom of manual page 10 and make sure the switches are adjusted like it says. Also, make sure....really sure...that replay cams index switches A and E are ONLY closed when the replay cams index coil is powered. When the coil is not powered but the cams aren't locked in the home position (the locking pin is riding on the cam edge), switch A and E must be open.

if you check all that and it's still flaky, look and see if the search wipers are still locked on the original winning rivets, or did they move. Also, are any other search index units powered.

the interesting part is you said the game pays 4 then pauses before paying more. That would imply the search wipers moved (or at least the search index coil lost power), but it should not be possible to power the search index coil again...unless the search index A switch is stuck closed and the replay cams index / CU 7 back switch are misadjusted.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from TheWiz:

So I am becoming a bit more observant as I become more familiar with the game. The replay counter selenoid energizes but does not step. So perhaps it is mechanical. Will do some more checking comparing them to 1 and 2 to see if they operate the same.
I did go through all the wires on all the replay counters and verified them to the manual. Found one wire different on # 6 and moved it to match the manual.

the ratchets on the stepper units move when the springs are pulling the plunger out of the coil after the power is removed. That's a handy thing to remember when trying to figure out how circuits work. If the ratchets turned when the plunger was sucking into the coil, the wipers may disconnect the circuit before the ratchet moved far enough to complete the step.

be careful with the manuals..they have errors - especially in the late model games. The schematics are right. Having said that, tho, the wires on the replay counters can be moved to change the payout. Some games had jumpers, others you had to solder. There's sometimes instructions on the back side of the score cards, and the game came with different cards. Nashville had at least two cards ... the difference was the payout on card 6 for 4/5-in-line.

just to make sure since I'm easy to confuse in my dotage....

1] Only the correct replay counter / search index for a win is sticking. e.g. when you have a win on card 4, only replay counter #4 step-up is sticking on and only search index 3-4 is powered

2] the game pays 4, there's a pause, then it pays as CU 7 closes without any more pause

the pause is still interesting ... if the replay counter step-up powered and never released, there shouldn't be any pauses.

payouts rounding up is the replay cams index switch A. Have you checked that yet? Does the "Made only when energized" note make sense? That switch could also hold the search index powered longer than it should be.

another thing to try is to complete the win by holding in a playfield hole switch with your finger. When the replay counter step-up coil sticks on, let go of the switch...what happens?

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from TheWiz:

Yes, I understand the note, it is a self hold contact until something else happens.

for this unit, nope.

Take a look at the "game rounds up payout to a consistent multiple - usually 12" on this page:
https://bingo.cdyn.com/techno/commonproblems/payout/overpay.html

the switch stack numbers are different, but it's the three positions of the index arm and the switch state you care about.

Quoted from TheWiz:

But if that was holding too long why does 1and2 work? I guess I have not grasped exactly how it counts. I thought it was from cams on the cu but have not figured out what breaks the circuit after 4.

yup...why does 1-2 work is a good question. Either the locked position of the 1-2 wipers is affecting the 3-4 and 5-6, or the electrical properties of the coils/circuit is different enough for the 1-2 that it works.

MrBally's comment is interesting. If your CU 8 switch is barely opening, it could arc when a different search index coil/replay counter coil is in the circuit.

best thing is probably power off, manually release the replay cams and turn them. Watch the CU8, CU9 and CU 8Y switches to see if the have good gaps when they are open. The switch contacts typically touch around 3/4 the way up a cam lobe and the other 1/4 give you the overtravel you want.

the circuit is a little odd because on the schem there's two paths to the top side of each replay counter step up coil. The straight above path thru the search disc, replay counter disc and search relays is win detection and payout cutoff. The path to the left over the search index coils is a redundant path that only closes when the replay register step-up coil is powering.

that's why the CU 7 back switch and adjust instructions...you want the back switch closed the entire time the CU 7A is closing/opening to step the replay register.

the purpose of the left circuit is to provide a separate current path for the replay register coil. It's high power, and turning it on/off creates current and voltage spikes that can burn pits into the replay counter printed circuit traces if arcing happens there. The left path helps prevent that.

to actually answer the question - the wipers on the replay counter step off the trace and that breaks the connection in the straight up path. When the CU 7 back switch opens, that breaks the connection in the left path and the search index coil opens and releases the wipers.

in your case, the replay counter is not stepping (the bottom side of the coil is not opening), so runaway payout happens.

there's a number of things you can do to figure out where the problem is coming from. When the replay counter coil is stuck on, quickly:
- stick a business card/paper between the CU 8 switch contacts.
- stick paper under all the wipers on search disk 1-2.
- stick paper between the CU 7 back switch contacts

Replay counter coil turn off for any of those?

#101 6 years ago

you've described two very different problems

for a replay counter step-up coil not powering - or not having enough power to pull in the plunger.
if:
- payout works for some cards
- the search index unit powers and holds
- the replay counter step-up coil doesn't power

the only unique part of that circuit is one wiper finger on the search disc. The problem is almost always cruddy rivets on the contact plate or poor wiper->rivet contact. The other possibilities are the coil itself or a different search disc/wiper pair is partially shorting and dragging down the voltage/current.

the replay counter step-up coil stuck on problem separate post.

#102 6 years ago

dixie (resized).pngdixie (resized).png

#103 6 years ago

you asked for a schematic with colored lines? OK! Hope you aren't looking on a small screen

dixie (resized).pngdixie (resized).png

for a win on card 3 in holes [20, 9, 21], no doubling, the sequence is:

1] orange. Wire 70 is connected to some coils and the bottom of CU 8 switch.

2] you've pushed the C button and the 3-4 search wipers spin around to position 41.

3] yellow. The yellow circuit path completes. The 3-4 search index coil is powered and stops the wipers at position 41. The top of the replay counter step-up coil is connected.

4] green. The 3-4 search index switch closes and connects the regular win relay. The search index coil is switched to power thru a resistor to reduce heat. The game is waiting for your double/nothing choice.

5] blue. You push the R button and the regular win relay powers. The replay cams index coils powered and the replay cams (under CU 7-10 switches) are released to spin. The alternate current path to CU 7 patch switch is closed. CU 10 switch is open most of the time while the replay cams turn, but a replay cams index switch keeps the yellow circuit closed.

6] purple. As the replay cams switch, CU 7 pulses the replay register to add credits. The cu 7 back switch also provides the redundant path for the high power solenoids (replay register and replay counter step-up) to prevent pitting of the replay counter printed circuit traces.

7] teal. CU 8 pulses at the same time the 4th credit is added to step up the replay counter.

8] red circles. If the replay counter has stepped off the active traces, the yellow circuit is broken. When the CU 7 back switch opens, the purple and blue circuits are open. The search index coil and replay cams index coil lose power. The search wipers are released.

9] win detect is inhibited until the replay cams spin around and lock home. That closes CU 10 again.

the only way to stick on the replay counter step-up coil is as you mentioned...the teal circuit needs to have a closed path to the orange.

since cards 1-2 work and the teal circuit is shared with them, the implication is there's something related to the 1-2 search wipers/contact plate that's providing a current path...hence the "stick paper under the wipers" test when the replay counter step-up coil is stuck on.

the usual problem is a slip ring wiper in the wrong groove on the 1-2 search wipers or the search wipers aren't locked in the correct position.

I thought you checked/fixed the locked position of the search wipers. If your pic in post 35 is where your 1-2 search wipers are locked, you're in trouble. You will be creating a circuit path thru the 1-2 search index coil/resistor and replay counter #1 step up coil that would likely be good enough to hold in the solenoid plunger.

usually the 1-2 search index coil would power at the same time as the 3-4 when the wipers are locked in the wrong place (finger on the B rivet), but it is dependent on the resistances of the coils.

I'm guessing there's no way anyone read this far. If you did and understood at least half of it, get a drink

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from TheWiz:

All 3 search disks home positions is 49. Slip rings are in correct positions.

hehe. If the home position is 49, where would the highlighted wiper be? ... and where does that wiper go?

dix2 (resized).pngdix2 (resized).png

I suppose the question would then be, why don't the 1-2 replay counter coils also stick on if the 3-4 and 5-6 wipers are locked on 49 also. Differences in coil and other resistances in the circuit are enough, I guess.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from TheWiz:

The other part of the circuit I do not completely understand yet is how the 5 search relays are picked by the search disks. They pick and drop and clatter while the search disc is spinning. I assume that is normal. I understand the logic with the contacts themselves just not what rivets on the search disk that activates their coils.
Thanks again for your detailed description, exactly what I needed.

take a look at the search positions charts in the manual (pages 16,19,20).

the wipers scan from position 50/0 (hint for post 107 ) down, so the wipers traverse the chart from the bottom up.

while the wipers spin clockwise, the contact plate diagrams for the search disc in the manual are drawn from the wiring side, so when looking at those the wipers would be spinning counter-clockwise.

most of the manuals they tell you whether the diagram is the wiring side or the "button or wiper side"). The guy screwing up the late model machine manuals wasn't that nice.

anyway, the chart shows what line/numbers are being checked at a wiper position, and the top of the chart says what search relay is powered for a lit number. That method works for all games.

for some late model machines like Dixieland, the wipers that are tied to the search relay coils are indicated on the manual diagram with #1 - #5, and the rivets are labelled with the playfield hole numbers, so the chart is redundant ... but the chart is still easier to find the specific lines/diagonals on.

wrt to viewing/printing a larger schematic on windows, I use the older windows photo viewer for viewing since the scroll wheel zooms. You can download it from msoft.

printing you probably need to open the schematic in a image editor (like gimp) and resize/scale the image. Printing is usually based on the actual image dimensions, though I guess your image viewer could behave differently (e.g. it scales for you to match the zoom). You could also take screen shots and print those, but the resolution will be a lower.

#111 6 years ago

well, he did say 50 in post 39. Later said 49 solves the lamp problem...which it does, but it leaves the potential for the problem you are seeing.

50 is the right position. If you can't slide the locking relay far enough to get them there, you have to see why (wear, etc.). You may be able to loosen the entire contact plate and twist it a little on the mounting brackets.

don't forget that the switch stack sitting on the pin at the top of the locking cam needs to be lifted when the wipers are locked. The stack position is adjustable in a slot also.

#121 6 years ago

The D button is called the "double button sw" at schem C14. It powers the double play relay. A tedious and incomprehensible description of what's going on is here:
https://bingo.cdyn.com/techno/howtheywork/dorn/
send in a comment on that site if you want to suggest improvements to the material.

the corners, corners rollover and super-line can enable randomly. If the rollover enables, then you have to hit the rollover button to cause the corners trip relay to trip.

that function is done by the random disc at schem H18, and you don't know if something will happen until the shutter closes.

if you want to know you chances of getting those three features to enable, you need to know the wiring/wiper configuration of the random unit...and guess what's not in the manual

also not in the manual are the magic random unit and the x2x2 random unit.

there's a reasonable chance that two of those units are the same as used in Nashville, and steve testa did the hard work of making those diagrams - they are on the bingo.cdyn.com site and below. Nashville did not have an x2x2 random unit.

if you ever get bored and want to get a better understanding of how the game works, let me know and I'll work with ya to create the diagrams for those units. Your part is "just" taking the wipers and contact plate off the unit frame and taking pictures. Those units don't have a huge amount of wiring on them, but if you are taking a picture and you can't really tell which rivets the wires go to, it's usually easy to bend some wires out of the way and take more pictures.

send me the pics and I'll make the diagrams and post them for free download.

if nothing else, good pictures of the unit showing the wire colors on the lugs helps determine if the units could be the same.

below are the Nashville diagrams.

unit-nashville-magic_random_unit (resized).pngunit-nashville-magic_random_unit (resized).png
unit-nashville-random_unit (resized).pngunit-nashville-random_unit (resized).png

#123 6 years ago

great, thanks. To get an idea of what's ideal, see:
https://bingo.cdyn.com/techno/howto/diagram_mixer/

that write-up is mixers, but the pictures needed are the same.

key thing is to make sure enough wire is visible on the edge lugs to id the wires. I look at the schem and the picture to figure out what wires are attached.

if you can keep stuff disassembled for a day in case there's questions about where the spaghetti wire goes, that's great too. In this case, tho, the spaghetti is probably pretty easy to see and won't have buried wires.

the diagrams are very helpful for people with hacked up games and the guys making computer versions.

#125 6 years ago

anyone can use [email protected] ... at least until I turn it off for excessive spam.

if you want access to a cloud drive directory/folder, pm me and I'll create one and send you a link.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 89.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baldtwit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dixieland-bingo-getting-started?tu=baldtwit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.