Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Push600
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

50057885 (resized).jpg
    sausage-fest-600 (resized).jpg
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Two questions: As anyone ever gone through a divorce because of your pinball hobby?

Additionally,

If you did go through a divorce, either due to your hobby or not, did you spouse go after you pinball collections? And if so, how did you decided to split it up?

FYI, because someone will ask, I have already been divorced but got into the hobby after my divorce. So the questions are purely out of curiosity.

#2 6 years ago

I also got into the hobby after a divorce because she didn't like the idea of owning a pinball. It was "stupid". Now I own 2-3 machines at any time and really enjoy it.

To answer the questuon...I guess it depends who's money was used to buy them. Joint account??

Hope to find a single lady some day that also enjoys the hobby.

#3 6 years ago

move all your games to a friend's house until things blow over. Hide the cash too

#4 6 years ago

Guys have you ever noticed that women will sooner or later ruin just about everything.

#5 6 years ago

There was a thread like this before, not necessarily about "what HAS happened" but "what IF" and 19/20 people said if it were her or the pins they'd choose the pins. That sounds terrible at first - but, it's not about the pins, it's about the fact that she would be asking you to remove a huge part of your life.

Then of course there was that one guy that came in and was like "WHAT HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE" which I wasn't too surprised about...

#6 6 years ago

Hopefully will never have any experience, but I would imagine the machines would need a dollar amount assigned to them, and be figured into any split of money/property during the divorce, no? What's mine is yours and all that, regardless of who actually bought them.

Seen plenty of for sale ads on here that mention a divorce forcing sale...

Some of you guys have $30k - $50k or more tied up in a collection. Hell, even a small collection can easily be $5k - $10k. The outgoing wife is going to want her cut of that...

#7 6 years ago

If your wife thinks they cost $100 each then she won't care. Of course if your marriage works out and you die before her, then that plan fails horribly.

#8 6 years ago

Make sure to have at least one pin your wife likes and let her lay claim to it. One for her, 10 for me. Seems fair

#9 6 years ago

It depends on the State or Country you live in.

#10 6 years ago

One might suggest that a "pinuptial" agreement is a good idea.

#11 6 years ago

Noticed I did not use wife but spouse. Everyone assumed wife. But any here is a bigger dilemma, what if you booth are into pinball. Money is money but trying to split a collection would seriously be hard. Especially if you both like similar games.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from cantbfrank:

Noticed I did not use wife but spouse. Everyone assumed wife. But any here is a bigger dilemma, what if you booth are into pinball. Money is money but trying to split a collection would seriously be hard. Especially if you both like similar games.

put a value on games in brackets then draft them taking turns taking a pin. If 4 games were in say the $4k-5k range, Partner A would pick then Partner B, Then A then B or they could do a snake draft and it would go ABBA. then onto the next bank.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Then of course there was that one guy that came in and was like "WHAT HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE" which I wasn't too surprised about...

LOL... thats funny

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

There was a thread like this before, not necessarily about "what HAS happened" but "what IF" and 19/20 people said if it were her or the pins they'd choose the pins. That sounds terrible at first - but, it's not about the pins, it's about the fact that she would be asking you to remove a huge part of your life.

This is right. I have friends who can only have say 3 or 4 games because their wife (who doesn't work) thinks that's plenty. This type of stuff annoys me to no end.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from cantbfrank:

Everyone assumed wife.

Jeez, weird. Why do you think?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

This is right. I have friends who can only have say 3 or 4 games because their wife (who doesn't work) thinks that's plenty. This type of stuff annoys me to no end.

You could come back with the old "shoe/pumps/stilettos" plenty remark.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from cantbfrank:

Everyone assumed wife.

Quoted from navajas:

Jeez, weird. Why do you think?

sausage-fest-600 (resized).jpgsausage-fest-600 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

If your wife thinks they cost $100 each then she won't care. Of course if your marriage works out and you die before her, then that plan fails horribly.

Who cares ? You will be worm food at that point !

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Who cares ? You will be worm food at that point !

Doesn't mean I won't be haunting the house. Ghosts have feeling too, ya know.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Doesn't mean I won't be haunting the house. Ghosts have feeling too, ya know.

This is true. lol

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

put a value on games in brackets then draft them taking turns taking a pin. If 4 games were in say the $4k-5k range, Partner A would pick then Partner B, Then A then B or they could do a snake draft and it would go ABBA. then onto the next bank.

That sounds like a great game of Fantasy Pinball. You could do that at an arcade. 4 people each pick a game. If you win the game you picked, you go PAPA scoring. 4,2,1,0. If you don't win the game you picked, you get a -1 while everyone else scores 2,1,0.

#22 6 years ago

How about heads up on each pin, winner takes ownership?

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

What does one of the most commercially successful pop groups (who happen to be Swedes) have to do with this?

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

I also got into the hobby after a divorce because she didn't like the idea of owning a pinball

In addition, she liked to eat the occasional In & Out Burger and not kale every single day.

#25 6 years ago

i have my wife thinking my pins are worth a lot less than the true value.....

a lot less than her freaking Givenchy handbag.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I remember that post! Man you got to dig it up so we can see it again.

#27 6 years ago

I have a hard time believing pinball has ever caused a couple to divorce. I would think there were some severe underlying issues before pins came into the picture.

#28 6 years ago

A couple years ago at PAPA, a bunch of guys told my wife that she should get used to the idea that from now on, every trip we took would be a pinball trip, and that every spare cent I spent would be on pinball. Every single one of the guys that told her that was divorced.

Now, two years later, my wife is into pinball more than ever...and wants me to buy a machine specifically for the grandkids.

It's all about balance, gentlemen. Make sure that the most important things in your life are the loved ones you can't replace, and that you don't ignore those loved ones in the pursuit of your beloved hobby.

If you don't keep that perspective and balance, then you deserve what you get.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I have a hard time believing pinball has ever caused a couple to divorce. I would think there were some severe underlying issues before pins came into the picture.

I have a hard time believing it hasn't caused many couples to divorce.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I have a hard time believing it hasn't caused many couples to divorce.

Really? What am I missing? Not being a smartass.

#31 6 years ago

Don't let a game room ruin your life!

Otherwise you'll sleep on a TMNT fold out bed & get banned from Pinside.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I've heard of a divorce caused by a can of cat food. Not kidding.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

I also got into the hobby after a divorce because she didn't like the idea of owning a pinball.

Quoted from eggbert52:

In addition, she liked to eat the occasional In & Out Burger and not kale every single day.

Uh, that's not Rarehero ...

#34 6 years ago

I feel so lucky that my wife loves pinball and is playing against me. She bought a Space Shuttle with her own overtime money! She is the best wife/partner a guy could ask for. I hope all can find someone who stands by your side and enjoy life and hobbies together.
    -Mike

#35 6 years ago

another wifey/spousey thread

just buy and play your damn pins!

if its not pins, its your car hobby, or golf, or stamp collecting, or model planes, or hanging at the bar.
    cant make anybody happy 100%

#36 6 years ago

congrats & congrats lol

#37 6 years ago

I'm gay and we live in blissful woman free harmony and a game room full of pinball machines

#38 6 years ago

Over the years, I've seen a number of marriages fall apart. Whenever a hobby is blamed, it's usually a symptom rather than the true cause. Either one person uses their hobby to get away from the existing relationship issues or the other feels insecure and lashes out at the hobby instead of confronting what really makes them upset.

#39 6 years ago

So, I was going through this over the past year, but it never happened. The hobby wasn't the reason, but the machines are clearly marital assets, and both parties are entitled to half of the value.
    I took an honest market valuation of each machine, decided on the ones I wanted to keep, and took that out of my half of the total collection value.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Really? What am I missing? Not being a smartass.

About 10 more pins.

#41 6 years ago

OP you live in Jersey. Your screwed.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

OP you live in Jersey. Your screwed.

Was screwed. Could be screwed again if I get divorce from my second wife. But not likely

#43 6 years ago

Easy! I'll let her have Avaterd - BBH - TDK along with Aspen Pinball
    tell her I'll keep MB, CV , AS and GB

Too all of you who wig out I own all theses except Aspen...WAIT I let Avaterd go. Sorry
    She's not getting any! I come with pins! If I go pins go!

My wife isn't going any where, Even through my hobbit drives her nuts, she has learned to live with it....

#44 6 years ago

I'm lucky my gal loves it.. she usualy goes to bed way before me .. but the deep purple keeps cranking and the beers flowing .and she's cool about it.. we are both are own people...

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

I'm lucky my gal loves it.. she usualy goes to bed way before me .. but the deep purple keeps cranking and the beers flowing .and she's cool about it.. we are both are own people...

Thata boy !!

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

Easy! I'll let her have Avaterd

Avaterd ! lol

#47 6 years ago

Ive been married for almost 30 years. One time i remember her saying to me that owning pins was stupid and that i need to get rid of them now!! I turned around and punched her in the face and the blood flowed !! Then i woke up and pissed myself ! I love her but god she scares me !! Moral of the story...stay married !!

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

You're wife sounds a lot like mine (minus loving to play) and we are indeed lucky. She understands we need our toys and like to blow off some steam with some Deep Purple and drinks.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

move all your games to a friend's house until things blow over. Hide the cash too

I think a few years back I was the friend who took in the AC/DC premium for about 4 or 5 months. My friend kept saying he needed to games out the house for a while and the current girlfriend suddenly dissappeared. I'm sure he'll read this later and confirm it (or tell me I'm totally wrong) but I got some fun out of it!

#50 6 years ago

When I'm 80, I guarantee I'll enjoy playing with my pins more than my wife.

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/divorce-and-pinball?hl=rammstein99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.