2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Push600
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

50057885 (resized).jpg
    sausage-fest-600 (resized).jpg

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from Archytas:

I think a few years back I was the friend who took in the AC/DC premium for about 4 or 5 months. My friend kept saying he needed to games out the house for a while and the current girlfriend suddenly dissappeared. I'm sure he'll read this later and confirm it (or tell me I'm totally wrong) but I got some fun out of it!

So she diappeared after the pins were removed? I don't understand...

#52 2 years ago

I think he meant he didn't want a spiteful ex messing up his machine on the way to the door.

#53 2 years ago

I went through this last year. My ex wife tried using pinball as the reason but that lasted a weekend when I had a fire sale and sold 8 machines. I don't see how any innocent hobby could ever be the reason for divorce. If your hobby is doing hookers and blow on the weekends, that's different.

With a $2500 loan my collection was built, it was not funded by family funds. She did not ask for any pins, they are mine. If a collection is built with mutual funds it should be divided equally.

#54 2 years ago

I just trade money back and forth between hobbies. I have too many interests, so I tend to go back and forth, trying to learn something new as I go. Right now, it's all about embedded systems and the engineering behind pinball machines. Next week, I'll be sailing, or diving vintage SCUBA gear, or hacking an old video game console, etc. Trade projects around, and try not to ping the bank account too hard, and I'm good. Seems to work, since she's put up with me for 22 years....

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from Archytas:

I think a few years back I was the friend who took in the AC/DC premium for about 4 or 5 months. My friend kept saying he needed to games out the house for a while and the current girlfriend suddenly dissappeared. I'm sure he'll read this later and confirm it (or tell me I'm totally wrong) but I got some fun out of it!

Totally wrong Sam. Kathy, the lady concerned wasn't keen on pinball, but she wouldn't have wrecked or damaged my games when we split up.

Edit: It was ST: LE that you looked after at the time, we did a game swap when you borrowed AC/DC at a later date.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from cantbfrank:

Two questions: As anyone ever gone through a divorce because of your pinball hobby?
    Additionally,
    If you did go through a divorce, either due to your hobby or not, did you spouse go after you pinball collections? And if so, how did you decided to split it up?
    FYI, because someone will ask, I have already been divorced but got into the hobby after my divorce. So the questions are purely out of curiosity.

Hi. Not divorce by pinball but at the same day I got my first pinball I got divorce. Right after rouding that heavy loved-one into 8th floor flat.

At the divorce She did not play nasty mean, but I don't think she understood the value of Totan in 2012. I let her take all the apartment stuff she wanted (not a lot) and she got 50% from the value of flat. In Finland it's 50/50 of Everything of the everything when married divorce (unless pre marriage legal agreement).

-peter

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

Totally wrong Sam. Kathy, the lady concerned wasn't keen on pinball, but she wouldn't have wrecked or damaged my games when we split up.
    Edit: It was ST: LE that you looked after at the time, we did a game swap when you borrowed AC/DC at a later date.

I stand corrected!

#58 2 years ago

So glad I am gay....My husband & I are both into pinball. For Christmas one year, I got him a Metallica pin...Anniversary, MMr. No plans for divorce...to much fun playing pinball.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

So glad I am gay....My husband & I are both into pinball. For Christmas one year, I got him a Metallica pin...Anniversary, MMr. No plans for divorce...to much fun playing pinball.

Damn it ! I am always envious of the couples who both enjoy the hobby. My lady sort of tolerates it but she really couldn't give a F

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

So, I was going through this over the past year, but it never happened. The hobby wasn't the reason, but the machines are clearly marital assets, and both parties are entitled to half of the value.
    I took an honest market valuation of each machine, decided on the ones I wanted to keep, and took that out of my half of the total collection value.

how would you handle this if all of the games you own were bough prior to marriage? I don't think it's fare a spouse would get half of everything prior to your lives joining...

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

how would you handle this if all of the games you own were bough prior to marriage? I don't think it's fare a spouse would get half of everything prior to your lives joining...

It will be different in every jurisdiction, but in Cali:

There is a strong presumption under California law that assets and debts a couple accumulates during marriage are community property. Property one spouse owned alone before the marriage, or acquired by gift or inheritance during the marriage, is that spouse’s separate property.

#62 2 years ago

Guess I'll have to ask a lawyer in MN then.

#63 2 years ago

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=518.003#stat.518.003.3b

There are many exceptions, so don't take this as legal advice. However, typically in Minnesota, most property that you owned prior to the marriage is considered pre-marital property and would not be subject to the shared property laws.

#64 2 years ago

yes, confirmed. Just spoke to a lawyer in MN.
    Basically I need to document my assets/debts prior to marriage. (not sure who to talk to yet on that)
    I don't necessarily need a prenup, BUT she cannot contribute any finances to my hobby if I want to continue to keep that separate post marriage.

It's probably gonna be a pain in the butt to document buying/selling games. Guess I need to do a bill of sale/buy for everything going forward.

#65 2 years ago

I was always told by divorced guys whats hers is hers and what you thought was yours is half hers .Seems like a bad deal

#66 2 years ago

My family loves playing the games and they're supportive. But they do think games all cost $1,000.

#67 2 years ago

I went through a divorce last year.
    The first thing I did when I separated was get a theatre of magic.
    My new girlfriend to be wife is fully supportive of my pinball love. If I had to I would sucker her in with a woz. I might do that anyways.

#68 2 years ago

I got divorced 8 years ago.
    We both enjoy pinball and she wanted our Addams family and scared stiff. Before it was final and she moved out I found a really nice Addams gold. I was so excited but told the guy I was buying it from don't ship it right away. Wait two weeks so it arrives after she's gone!
    So what does he do , he ships it two days later. It arrived a week before she took the other one. they actually sat next to each other for a week. She was pissed! Your Gold is so much nicer than my regular!

#69 2 years ago

50057885 (resized).jpg

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

.... If your hobby is doing hookers and blow on the weekends, that's different....

Probably a more fiscally responsible hobby than Pinball.

#71 2 years ago

If you get divorced and it can be blamed on pinball then your blind. At least compromise to sell the games in your kitchen.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Toppers
    liorillusion
    $ 6.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    $ 72.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 109.99
    $ 40.00
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside