Metallica Diverter Post Replacement (also done on my SMVE)
Thanks to everyone that answered my questions when I wanted to replace my post. This is not my original idea. I’m paying it forward by writing it up here with pictures to help others.
The primary reason to swap out the diverter post is to deaden the bounce back from the ball hitting the nylon (plastic) stock post.
The instructions written here are not the only way to swap out the post but were the easiest for me.
Parts needed: Williams/Bally Bell Armature (Plunger) Assembly, Williams/Bally reference #A-17986.
Pinball Life has them: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3591
• Nut driver
• Phillips #2 screw driver
• Wrench for adjusting height of diverter post
• Vice grips (lock nut on diverter post height adjustment may not turn easily)
• Beer (optional but recommended)
1. Remove balls, lift the play field and locate the diverter assembly
2. Remove three screws that secure the diverter assembly to the bottom of the playfield
3. Remove the four screws holding the two plunger brackets to the play field bracket
4. Slide out the original plunger, keeping track of the two brackets, spring and plastic sleeve
5. Replace the original plunger with the metal one
6. Reverse the steps to reassemble the plunger, coil and brackets
7. Mount plunger assembly to the field underside
8. Check the diverter post height from the top of the field, behind Sparky. The top of the post should be level with the play field. Adjust the height with the set screw on the plunger & coil assembly. The set screw nut might not turn freely and require vice grips to keep the set screw from turning. Repeat Step 8. as necessary.
9. Check the coil function through the Service Menu
10. Play some Metallica.