WED_4775 (resized).JPG
WED_4774 (resized).JPG
WED_4773 (resized).JPG
WED_4772 (resized).JPG
WED_4769 (resized).JPG
WED_4767 (resized).JPG
WED_4765 (resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

Metallica Diverter Post Replacement (also done on my SMVE)

Thanks to everyone that answered my questions when I wanted to replace my post. This is not my original idea. I’m paying it forward by writing it up here with pictures to help others.

The primary reason to swap out the diverter post is to deaden the bounce back from the ball hitting the nylon (plastic) stock post.

The instructions written here are not the only way to swap out the post but were the easiest for me.

Parts needed: Williams/Bally Bell Armature (Plunger) Assembly, Williams/Bally reference #A-17986.
Pinball Life has them: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3591

Tools required:
• Nut driver
• Phillips #2 screw driver
• Wrench for adjusting height of diverter post
• Vice grips (lock nut on diverter post height adjustment may not turn easily)
• Beer (optional but recommended)

Instructions:
1. Remove balls, lift the play field and locate the diverter assembly
WED_4765 (resized).JPGWED_4765 (resized).JPG
WED_4767 (resized).JPGWED_4767 (resized).JPG
2. Remove three screws that secure the diverter assembly to the bottom of the playfield
WED_4769 (resized).JPGWED_4769 (resized).JPG
WED_4772 (resized).JPGWED_4772 (resized).JPG
3. Remove the four screws holding the two plunger brackets to the play field bracket
WED_4773 (resized).JPGWED_4773 (resized).JPG
WED_4774 (resized).JPGWED_4774 (resized).JPG
4. Slide out the original plunger, keeping track of the two brackets, spring and plastic sleeve
WED_4775 (resized).JPGWED_4775 (resized).JPG
5. Replace the original plunger with the metal one
WED_4776 (resized).JPGWED_4776 (resized).JPG
6. Reverse the steps to reassemble the plunger, coil and brackets
WED_4777 (resized).JPGWED_4777 (resized).JPG
7. Mount plunger assembly to the field underside
WED_4778 (resized).JPGWED_4778 (resized).JPG
8. Check the diverter post height from the top of the field, behind Sparky. The top of the post should be level with the play field. Adjust the height with the set screw on the plunger & coil assembly. The set screw nut might not turn freely and require vice grips to keep the set screw from turning. Repeat Step 8. as necessary.
WED_4779 (resized).JPGWED_4779 (resized).JPG
WED_4780 (resized).JPGWED_4780 (resized).JPG

WED_4781 (resized).JPGWED_4781 (resized).JPG
WED_4784 (resized).JPGWED_4784 (resized).JPG
9. Check the coil function through the Service Menu
WED_4785 (resized).JPGWED_4785 (resized).JPG
10. Play some Metallica.

WED_4779 (resized).JPGWED_4779 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Have you noticed a big difference in changing the post from plastic to metal? I have the post, just haven't bothered to change it yet as it seems the plastic is actually doing a pretty good job. I'll have to get around to doing it but just wondering if it really does make a difference. Thanks for the installation details.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Have you noticed a big difference in changing the post from plastic to metal? I have the post, just haven't bothered to change it yet as it seems the plastic is actually doing a pretty good job. I'll have to get around to doing it but just wondering if it really does make a difference.

It makes a HUGE difference. It's truly night and day.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Have you noticed a big difference in changing the post from plastic to metal? I have the post, just haven't bothered to change it yet as it seems the plastic is actually doing a pretty good job. I'll have to get around to doing it but just wondering if it really does make a difference. Thanks for the installation details.

Yes, it does have a pronounced effect. For instance, I rarely have the ball return down the right orbit from the shooter lane after the initial plunge for the normal skill shot.

The same goes with a left orbit shot when the post is up. With the nylon post, the ball would ricochet back down the left orbit. At least half the time (with the metal post) the ball will temporarily stop at the up post and trickle down to the pop bumper lanes when the post retracts.

Plus I love the sound. Not quite like dull metal thud, when you hit the Pawtucket Patriot beer can on Family Guy, but definitely a muted auditory response when hitting the post.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for this detailed process doc.

#6 7 years ago

Huge improvement for me as well.

#7 7 years ago

I'm going to have to try this even though I love the flow with my post disabled. Thanks for the writeup.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

I'm going to have to try this even though I love the flow with my post disabled. Thanks for the writeup.

Try it, you'll like it.

1 week later
#9 7 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the good information. I'm going to give it a shot.

3 years later
#10 3 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Metallica Diverter Post Replacement (also done on my SMVE)
Thanks to everyone that answered my questions when I wanted to replace my post. This is not my original idea. I’m paying it forward by writing it up here with pictures to help others.
The primary reason to swap out the diverter post is to deaden the bounce back from the ball hitting the nylon (plastic) stock post.
The instructions written here are not the only way to swap out the post but were the easiest for me.
Parts needed: Williams/Bally Bell Armature (Plunger) Assembly, Williams/Bally reference #A-17986.
Pinball Life has them: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3591
Tools required:
• Nut driver
• Phillips #2 screw driver
• Wrench for adjusting height of diverter post
• Vice grips (lock nut on diverter post height adjustment may not turn easily)
• Beer (optional but recommended)
Instructions:
1. Remove balls, lift the play field and locate the diverter assembly
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
2. Remove three screws that secure the diverter assembly to the bottom of the playfield
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
3. Remove the four screws holding the two plunger brackets to the play field bracket
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
4. Slide out the original plunger, keeping track of the two brackets, spring and plastic sleeve
[quoted image]
5. Replace the original plunger with the metal one
[quoted image]
6. Reverse the steps to reassemble the plunger, coil and brackets
[quoted image]
7. Mount plunger assembly to the field underside
[quoted image]
8. Check the diverter post height from the top of the field, behind Sparky. The top of the post should be level with the play field. Adjust the height with the set screw on the plunger & coil assembly. The set screw nut might not turn freely and require vice grips to keep the set screw from turning. Repeat Step 8. as necessary.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
9. Check the coil function through the Service Menu
[quoted image]
10. Play some Metallica.

[quoted image]

I cant believe I just found this, thanks a bunch and worth the bump!!!!

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I cant believe I just found this, thanks a bunch and worth the bump!!!!

Thanks! Play more MET!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diverter-post-replacement-for-metallica-and-others and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.