New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 273891)

Diverter needing warm up?

By Nihonmasa

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Nihonmasa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

Hi there,

I have been having an issue for a while with my swords of fury; the diverters are need several games before they start working.
So it looks like a component is in need of a warm up and should be changed.
Any idea of what I should check?

#2 3 months ago

Probably the coil plunger is dirty or gunked up. Take the plunger out and clean it and polish it. Also, replace the coil sleeve. This should make a big difference.

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Probably the coil plunger is dirty or gunked up. Take the plunger out and clean it and polish it. Also, replace the coil sleeve. This should make a big difference.

Nope, game was fully rebuilt recently (along with coated pf etc) and every part was cleaned, every sleeve was changed...
It really feels like a component needing to warm up.
Both diverters will start workign at the same time.

#4 3 months ago

Perhaps some cold solder joints at the connectors on the boards?

#5 3 months ago

I think Ken is probably onto something here.
When you say the game needs several games to start working - what if you fire the game up and leave it sit idle for 30 minutes. Then start a game do they work normally then?
If so Kens probably right about a potential cold solder joint. Look in the manual. Do the offending coils share the same circuitry?
You could also try performing a factory reset.

#6 3 months ago

if the game is iddle, they'll still need several games before warming up. Looks like they need to be triggered for it to happen.

Cold joint is indeed an option; For the circuitry, I don't know unfortunately, thus my question here

#7 3 months ago

Go into test when you turn it on and see if they work in solenoid test. There's some dumb rules in the code that activate/don't activate the diverters depending on various factors.

The lights that are on the ramp covered with the red bulb covers tell you which diverter should activate. You can see them move around as you play and hit various things.

#8 3 months ago

ok, tried in test and :
top one is trying to activate without suceeding for a while
bottom is fine.

Will take it apart when I have some time and check.
Might actually be a sleeve issue as first thought by ken, though it'd be suprising, so soon after getting a new one. Will check the alignment.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Sale Pending!
Atlantic City, NJ
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 11.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vienna, VA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside