Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy.gif
    diversity03 (resized).jpg
    diversity03 (resized).jpg
    diversity01 (resized).png
    B6D6D9D7-61FC-4216-B15C-E7D8B45AEB77 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I had a random thought the other day about all the people I’ve met over the years since I became interested in pinball. Then it occurred to me that I think I’ve only ever bought, sold, or played pinball with white dudes (I myself am white, although my mom is Puerto Rican).

I’m just curious if anyone else has ever realized this or that maybe there is a much more diverse group of pinball collectors than it seems.

I hope no one gets offended in any way by this topic. There’s nothing wrong with white dudes , just wondering who else is in to pinball.

#2 4 years ago

I don't see skin color. I see character in the person and judge on the fruit of their actions.

That being said, all types.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

Hello Everyone,
    I had a random thought the other day about all the people I’ve met over the years since I became interested in pinball. Then it occurred to me that I think I’ve only ever bought, sold, or played pinball with white dudes (I myself am white, although my mom is Puerto Rican).
    I’m just curious if anyone else has ever realized this or that maybe there is a much more diverse group of pinball collectors than it seems.
    I hope no one gets offended in any way by this topic. There’s nothing wrong with white dudes , just wondering who else is in to pinball.

We are here

I have met amazing individuals from around the world here in America that are pinball collectors. People from Colombia, Argentina, Mexico, Australia, France, Canada and many more countries. I'm actually from the Dominican Republic myself so the answer is Yes! This hobby has a diverse group of wonderful people that celebrates the beauty and fun of Pinball.

#4 4 years ago

I've noticed many different races, political differences, religious differences, and sexual preferences. And varying amounts of fingers or toes.

On a whole. I think we are a well rounded group of nice people with a common interest in pinball. You see this everyday. Someone posts a problem and people step up and try and help.

LTG : )

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

I don't see skin color..

Really?

So if you went to your regular league night which is usually 95 percent white guys, you wouldn't notice if suddenly it was two white guys and 95 percent African-American dudes?

I think you'd see it.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really?
    So if you went to your regular league night which is usually 95 percent white guys, you wouldn't notice if suddenly it was two white guys and 95 percent African-American dudes?
    I think you'd see it.

Ha!

#7 4 years ago

The hobby is made of a widely varied and friendly bunch of folks brought together by their enthusiasm and passion for pinball

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really?
    I think you'd see it.

Not everyone goes to "league night", whatever that is. If I answer an ad or email about a machine, I don't assune anything but judge them on how I am treated. I have met all kinds of people.

#9 4 years ago

Identity politics has infiltrated everything. It's a cancer. It makes superficial characteristics the focus as opposed to character itself.

#10 4 years ago

Isn't Slash a huge pinball fan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_(musician)

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really?
    I think you'd see it.

Yes really. If seeing it you mean affected by it.

#12 4 years ago

Stop pretending, everybody. The question was about diversity in the pinball hobby. The hobby is as white as snow, and 95% male. I don't know if it all matters or not, but it's a fact.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Stop pretending, everybody. The question was about diversity in the pinball hobby. The hobby is as white as snow, and 95% male. I don't know if it all matters or not, but it's a fact.

No it DOESN'T matter. Why oh why the race baiting and the quest for division. This thread is getting to be like facebook.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

And there are other hobbies/sports that have a predominate group of X. Is what it is. Not every single activity in life has to look like the colors of Benetton or a bowl of skittles. So interesting how we are taught to think something is wrong if an activity, job field, etc. is generally dominated by one group. Despite what we are taught, our bodies and minds are not all the same. Fast twitch muscles vs slow twitch, spatial vs verbal reasoning. etc. Not saying for better or worse, but certain things interest certain types of people and that's okay.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

No it DOESN'T matter. Why oh why the race baiting and the quest for division. This thread is getting to be like facebook.

Honestly it is because we have politicians and they must divide and conquer to justify their existence and create voting bases on both sides. A unified voice of a nation with unified goals and aspirations means some of these politicians might end up on the losing side and out of a job.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Honestly it is because we have politicians and they must divide and conquer to justify their existence and create voting bases on both sides. A unified voice of a nation with unified goals and aspirations means some of these politicians might end up on the losing side and out of a job.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Scrapbooking is 95% female and white. Knitting the same way. Pinball is mostly male and white because mostly white males went to arcades as youth and are interested in recapturing some of that youth.

What's your point?

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Scrapbooking is 95% female and white. Knitting the same way. Pinball is mostly male and white because mostly white males went to arcades as youth and are interested in recapturing some of that youth.
    What's your point?

The OP made an observation that the hobby is white and male. I agreed.

#19 4 years ago

This thread is really stupid.
    How much diversity is there in NASCAR, Pro Football, the NBA, Curling, etc, etc??? What's the point?
    Who really cares, and why would they?

#20 4 years ago

The statements about the demographics are probably accurate. The majority of pinball owners are upper middle class straight white men, but hopefully all feel welcome.

#21 4 years ago

Damn.. why do bitter people always have to make everything political? I asked about how much diversity is in the pinball community due to the fact that I didn’t see much in my interactions. I was just curious.. I didn’t mean to get anyone upset.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

And there are other hobbies/sports that have a predominate group of X. Is what it is. Not every single activity in life has to look like the colors of Benetton or a bowl of skittles. So interesting how we are taught to think something is wrong if an activity, job field, etc. is generally dominated by one group. Despite what we are taught, our bodies and minds are not all the same. Fast twitch muscles vs slow twitch, spatial vs verbal reasoning. etc. Not saying for better or worse, but certain things interest certain types of people and that's okay.

I hope you aren’t insinuating that I am assuming something is wrong with pinball just because it’s mostly white dudes involved in it. My question was out of curiosity, maybe hoping a Hispanic, Asian, etc. brother would say “hey, I’m into pinball.” Nothing nefarious in my post. I’m sorry others have to make into something it was never intended to be.

#23 4 years ago

This thread will probably turn into a dumpster fire, but I’ll bite. I’ve often wondered myself why there aren’t more people of color in pinball. I’d love to see more diversity. We just need to keep making people feel welcome, and Pinball will start to look more like America. I do know that we have far more women and young players than we used to. Progress?

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Seriously, who gives a crap. It’s just the way it works in this instance and only makes sense demographically. since pinball was at its most popular when the country was more white. Who gives a crap.

It’s like people who bitch about there not being enough African America baseball players. It’s a matter of interest and estimating the more likely path to success. The same people hypocritically don’t complain about football or basketball being dominated by Africa -Americans. Or should there be a movement to make sure those leagues be comprised of 60% white athletes (also absurd).

Leave people alone and enjoy your hobbies. And realize you’re probably the one making assumptions about a lot of white people who are Hispanic or of other origin.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

This thread will probably turn into a dumpster fire, but I’ll bite. I’ve often wondered myself why there aren’t more people of color in pinball. I’d love to see more diversity. We just need to keep making people feel welcome, and Pinball will start to look more like America. I do know that we have far more women and young players than we used to. Progress?

There’s no reason in should become a dumpster fire. It’s pretty sad that you can’t ask a genuine question without facing a backlash from the Fux News crowd.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

There’s no reason in should become a dumpster fire. It’s pretty sad that you can’t ask a genuine question without facing a backlash from the Fux News crowd.

No, you can ask a genuine question, but I think most of us here have no idea what you’re trying to get at with said question. You can make your same point with a million other topics. Who cares? But then you took it one step further by categorizing a bunch of people that might watch another news channel than you in a negative way. That my friend, just absolutely delegitimized the whole point you were trying to make and turned this into a dumpster fire of a thread.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

>creates a thread about diversity which is a political subject (violating rules of the site)
    >Feigns ignorance and pretends to wonder why the conversation turned political
    >Criticizes those whom may view a different news source then himself/herself

Your question wasn't genuine....it was bait.

#28 4 years ago

Geezus....really? DRAIN

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

Hello Everyone,

I play pinball!

#30 4 years ago

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

Amazingly, you’re the only one here making crass generalizations. You have no idea of anyone’s political leanings and I bet you’d be surprised. If there’s backlash, I’m willing to bet it’s because people come here to experience a sense of commonality and cohesiveness and, too often (maybe not in this case), it’s meant to cause conflict and divisiveness.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

>creates a thread about diversity which is a political subject (violating rules of the site)
    >Feigns ignorance and pretends to wonder why the conversation turned political
    >Criticizes those whom may view a different news source then himself/herself
    Your question wasn't genuine....it was bait.

How on earth is diversity political?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

How on earth is diversity political?

My question exactly.. Ask the Fux News crowd.. lol

#34 4 years ago

As I got out of my truck in my driveway I noticed the ground moving. It was red ants vs black ants. Major battle. I tried to lecture them on diversity but there was no hope.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I do know that we have far more women and young players than we used to.

still pining for that 'blues brothers' pin.

#36 4 years ago

I only see avatars and restoration pics.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

I don't want to be pinned to either side of this. I can't stand racism or exclusion. I just want to keep it to pinball.

#38 4 years ago

Who cares?
    Stop talkin and start chalkin

#39 4 years ago

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

People still watch cable TV?

#41 4 years ago

I've never been asked by a distributor who is filling an order for me, or any of the pinball parts suppliers, what race or nationality I am. As an individual, you're either interested in pinball or you're not. Same as any other hobby. There are no barriers to entry in pinball except financial or physical space limits. Or spousal acceptance.

#42 4 years ago

Hate these diversity crap questions/post. Someone ask a similar question at the crossfit games last weekend and Dave Castro told them to F off. I say the same.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

Then it occurred to me that I think I’ve only ever bought, sold, or played pinball with white dudesl.

Well then, maybe you need to get out more and find some new friends.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

crossfit games

That's a thing? Good Lord.

#45 4 years ago

Here’s a photo from one of my EM tournaments. 10 people in all, and ALL having a blast. Was a 50/50 mix by coincidence.

B6D6D9D7-61FC-4216-B15C-E7D8B45AEB77 (resized).jpegB6D6D9D7-61FC-4216-B15C-E7D8B45AEB77 (resized).jpeg
    #46 4 years ago

Lay off the Fux News.. Dumb Fux.. there's enough hate to go around already. If my question bothered you, it says a whole lot more about you than it does about me. I'm out.

#47 4 years ago

You used the same dumb pun three times. I think your vocabulary could use some diversity.

Serious question: why is is that when I ask if they have Tabasco, they say yes and bring Cholula or Franks Hot Sauce and act like it’s no big deal? That shit is NOT Tabasco.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You used the same dumb pun three times. I think your vocabulary could use some diversity.
    Serious question: why is is that when I ask if they have Tabasco, they say yes and bring Cholula or Franks Hot Sauce and act like it’s no big deal? That shit is NOT Tabasco.

You're right...they are both BETTER than Tabasco.

#49 4 years ago

Cholula is the good stuff man.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

Lay off the Fux News.. Dumb Fux.. there's enough hate to go around already. If my question bothered you, it says a whole lot more about you than it does about me. I'm out.

Starts an intentionally divisive topic.

Gets annoyed that people state that.

Calls people pejorative.

Leaves while claiming moral highground.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diversity-in-pinball-enthusiast-community?hl=mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.