Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy.gif
    diversity03 (resized).jpg
    diversity03 (resized).jpg
    diversity01 (resized).png
    B6D6D9D7-61FC-4216-B15C-E7D8B45AEB77 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You used the same dumb pun three times. I think your vocabulary could use some diversity.
    Serious question: why is is that when I ask if they have Tabasco, they say yes and bring Cholula or Franks Hot Sauce and act like it’s no big deal? That shit is NOT Tabasco.

All three of those are crap. Cajun Chef hot sauce at Long John Silvers is the best!

#52 4 years ago

The monsters are due on MLK Blvd and they're wearing white hoods.

#53 4 years ago

I still think Diner is better than Taxi.

#54 4 years ago

I like both kinds of music. Country and western.

#55 4 years ago

I like turtles.

LTG : )

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I like both kinds of music. Country and western.

What about Western Country music?

#57 4 years ago

Yesterday we were at a "free entrance day" at a local arcade. About 7 pins and 18 arcade games. My son and I spent most of our time on the pinball machines. A young African American man (maybe 13) was watching us play games on a pin and then would try the pin after us. He kept coming over and watching us after his game was done. We said "Hi" and asked if he wanted to join us. He said no that he just liked to watch us a little.
    We are not expert players by any means but I'm sure he learned a little watching us and we had no problems asking him to join us.
    Be nice and most people will be nice back. If not, move on. Skin color means nothing. Being nice does.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

My question exactly.. Ask the Fux News crowd.. lol

Ha. I just deleted Facebook being exhausted with your ilk. A vacation from here will add to my peace, I guess. Wave goodbye, honey.

(image deleted)

#59 4 years ago

Ahh, diversity..

Isn’t it crazy how many ethnicities white people in the US can be or a mix of- and they are thought of as not diverse? Hispanics aren’t white, but Spanish are? Discuss..

#60 4 years ago

Disclaimer* I haven't read every post in this thread yet so I apologize for any redundancies. Also, I'm not well traveled so can only talk about my local experiences. I also would like to mention that 75% of my dealings in the hobby have been online. Therefore I have no clue as to their race.

I have only bought a handful of machines. Most of them from the same person who is a white Male. But since I have limited experience in meeting and dealing with people that may qualify as enthusiasts, I will comment on my local public pinball playing experiences.
    I live in St. Louis which is a diverse city that has different areas (we have an Italian neighborhood that is predominantly Italian, a neighborhood that is largely Bosnian immigrants etc.) There are 4 or 5 "pinball bars" that I am aware of in STL that are all located in different ends of town. I feel like this is because pinball has diverse appeal. When I go to one of these bars, you see the type of people that live in that area. There is one that I am sure has predominantly white customers but there is another in the historically LGBTQ neighborhood that is very diverse and another where sometimes I'm the only person in there without a face and/or neck tattoo.
    Ultimately, people like pinball. But I am sure the price point is high enough to where the ownership demographic skews white male. I mean just look at some of the theme selections.
    I guess it depends on what qualifies as an enthusiast.

#61 4 years ago

one thing, that i do know; jacques cousteau was french.

diversity01 (resized).pngdiversity01 (resized).png
    #62 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I still think Diner is better than Taxi.

Jesus fuck....now I'm offended!!!

Quoted from arcademojo:

What about Western Country music?

Hmm, sounds Canadian but not the eastern frenchy stuff so I'm cool with it.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

maybe you need to get out more and find some new friends.

when it comes to the diversity of pinball players, california is quite the melting pot. these photos should give you an idea of what to expect.

diversity03 (resized).jpgdiversity03 (resized).jpg
    diversity03 (resized).jpgdiversity03 (resized).jpg

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

when it comes to the diversity of pinball players, california is quite the melting pot.

That don't look like my living room.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Geezus....really? DRAIN

Drain police?

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #66 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

There’s no reason in should become a dumpster fire. It’s pretty sad that you can’t ask a genuine question without facing a backlash from the Fux News crowd.

When i first seen this thread i was wondering why on earth that anyone would post such a topic or even give a shit, now i know why. You have answered all of my questions with this post here and the two other ones following this post.

#67 4 years ago

I am saddened for anyone who sees categories before people, you’re missing out. Pinball has an extremely diverse group of hobbyists across all ranges, if someone can’t see that then they have a filtered perspective (or maybe they haven’t been to enough shows). I hope someday they learn to look past it.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from yonizzell:

There’s no reason in should become a dumpster fire. It’s pretty sad that you can’t ask a genuine question without facing a backlash from the Fux News crowd.

You must be one of the three people who watch CNN voluntarily.
    Most of their "viewers" are a captive audience in airports and hotel lobbies!

#69 4 years ago

What the diversity crowd's fallacy is they want everything to look perfectly equal. Same number of representation like a tv commercial. It isn't realistic. Based on math alone if there was equal representation of African Americans in pinball it would be 13 out of 100. That is considering everyone has the same interest, which they don't, so the number technically should be less. This applies to all other groups. If everyone had the same interest there would be 50/50 (roughly) females to men in pinball. However, pinball falls under a gaming category, which tends to appeal to mostly white males. On the flip side, I don't think you hear a lot of groups outside of white males complaining about exclusivity in pinball or gaming....it simply just doesn't interest them. There's no barrier to entry. People like what they like and we have to accept that. We can't force someone to like something so it can appease one's false perception of reality or fill some emotional void. Let people be who they want to be.

#71 4 years ago

What a dopey post.

Quoted from yonizzell:

Hello Everyone,
    I had a random thought the other day about all the people I’ve met over the years since I became interested in pinball. Then it occurred to me that I think I’ve only ever bought, sold, or played pinball with white dudes (I myself am white, although my mom is Puerto Rican).
    I’m just curious if anyone else has ever realized this or that maybe there is a much more diverse group of pinball collectors than it seems.
    I hope no one gets offended in any way by this topic. There’s nothing wrong with white dudes , just wondering who else is in to pinball.

#72 4 years ago

Why aren't we taking more about "crossfit games"?

I couldn't care less about the original discussion. Everyone else who commented on it just fell for the bait.

But seriously, crossfit games?!?

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

I couldn't care less about the original discussion. Everyone else who commented on it just fell for the bait.

I commend their physical fortitude but crossfit is just an injury waiting to happen. You ever see those crossfit fails? Looks like people get paralyzed. I'll stick to conventional weightlifting.

#75 4 years ago

Everytime I play TSPP and hear Apu’s calls it reminds me of how pointing out races leaves to no other end but making our society more poor, less fun and actually more divisive.

#76 4 years ago

has pinball been dominated mostly by white dudes, yeah for sure. Will it be going forward, hell no. The hobby has been greatly expanding the last few years, and as it expands its becoming more and more diverse. When my leaguge first started it was primarily white guys and now there are women and people of other ethnicities etc. Its very common to see diverse crowd at our local barcade as well.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

I don't even know what crossfit is. I think I will keep it that way. I am glad I don't have cable in my house.

#78 4 years ago

Why isn't there more diversity in each of our pinball collections, hmmmm???
    People likes what they likes.
    It's that simple!

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

Drain police?

The drain police... they live inside of my head... the drain police... they come to me in my bed... the drain police... they're coming to arrest me... oh noooooo

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The drain police... they live inside of my head... the drain police... they come to me in my bed... the drain police... they're coming to arrest me... oh noooooo

Cheap Schtick!

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Cheap Schtick!

We used to call them Shit Treak.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You must be one of the three people who watch CNN voluntarily.
    Most of their "viewers" are a captive audience in airports and hotel lobbies!

Ooh, I think viewer number two has revealed himself too!

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Quoted from jrpinball:

Cheap Schtick!

Quoted from o-din:

We used to call them Shit Treak.

Quoted from jrpinball:

Ooh, I think viewer number two has revealed himself too!

Do you ever just read a thread and realize you no longer have a clue what is going on?

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Do you ever just read a thread and realize you no longer have a clue what is going on?

Sure. This is a thread about diversity in pinball.

I play with fat kids, skinny kids, kids that climb on rocks. Tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken pox.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure. This is a thread about diversity in pinball.
    I play with fat kids, skinny kids, kids that climb on rocks. Tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken pox.

What about kids that are jocks? Or kids that don’t wear socks?

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

What about kids that are jocks? Or kids that don’t wear socks?

They can stuff an Armour hot dog.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diversity-in-pinball-enthusiast-community/page/2?hl=trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.