(Topic ID: 108322)

Ditch the Witch and Leave the Trees! (WOZ mods)

By Soltic

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dendoc
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trees.jpg
27a.jpg
26a.jpg
25a.jpg
24a.jpg
23a.jpg
22a.jpg
21a.jpg
20a.jpg
18a.jpg
17a.jpg
16a.jpg
15a.jpg
14a.jpg
13a.jpg
12a.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Soltic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

So my witch stopped working last week - bad witch! To properly test / inspect I pulled the assembly out. Lloyd is helping me solve what is most likely a bad opto. In the interim I finally took a close look @ the witch herself and realized that while she definitely serves her purpose well, that I thought I’d try my hand @ something more “custom” for our game (insert OCD-based insult from my wife). Kudos however must go to Matt for doing a terrific job to begin with – it was so nice to finally meet face-to-face @ Expo!

I figured I’d just do a sculpt and cast but due-diligence (laziness) led me to research if there were any action figures etc already out there that could be “kit-bashed”, and (go figure) I came across Hallmark ornaments – especially a new one called “It’s Shoe Time” (others have picked up on as well already).

I thought it was a great pose and the hour-glass especially added a dynamic effect to it as the Witch toy is a hurry-up to begin with.

And low-budget was a factor. So while I had all tools and supplies I convinced myself it was ok to spend the $23CAN or so before tax on the ornament.

So it became a project of measuring precisely (guesstimating (while drinking of course)), cutting and trimming super-accurately (wildly hacking the sh*t out of her), and tastefully reassembling (slopping it all back together). No biggie.

The pics should speak for themselves (oooh pretty pics):

01a.jpg01a.jpg

02a.jpg02a.jpg

03a.jpg03a.jpg

04a.jpg04a.jpg

Bad pic, shorter mount made from brass channel on-hand.

05a.jpg05a.jpg

06a.jpg06a.jpg

07a.jpg07a.jpg

08a.jpg08a.jpg

09a.jpg09a.jpg

10a.jpg10a.jpg

11a.jpg11a.jpg

12a.jpg12a.jpg

The assembly’s dimensions including the “sneeze guard” don’t allow for much play – tolerances are tight!

13a.jpg13a.jpg

14a.jpg14a.jpg

I thought it would be great to leave the cape / dress covering the base. The original sat above it allowing the base to be seen...

15a.jpg15a.jpg

16a.jpg16a.jpg

Also decided to use some black vinyl on the sneeze-guard top (I think I saw protos that had black plastic tops) as well as around the base to stop the light bleed from under the Castle pf and regular pf.

17a.jpg17a.jpg

18a.jpg18a.jpg

And while farting around w/ taking the assemblies apart continuously to check tolerances, those trees kept staring @ me…. (insert OCD-based insult from my wife).

So I ran the gamut of how to improve them from foam “leaves” etc to scale railroad tree supplies. But, like the Witch, I wanted something that would be non-destructive / can be changed back to stock. Furthermore it also had to be durable as those trees get a workout – last thing I would need is stuff falling apart or degrading onto the pf.

So I actually came across this @ a crafts store. Again, on the cheap & w/ a 40% or so discount (for buying so early in the pinball-modding season), tax in was just over $16CAN.

20a.jpg20a.jpg

“Apples wrapped firmly first then “leaves” wrapped tightly overtop. This is what I flavoured to so far, may add some more “leaves”, already pared down some “apples” by last pic. Definitely adds some more detail to Matt’s sculpts!

21a.jpg21a.jpg

Comparo:

22a.jpg22a.jpg

All 3:

23a.jpg23a.jpg

Witch down (repeat we have a Witch down!):

24a.jpg24a.jpg

Finals (sorry for crappy pics but hard to get detail through s-guard):

25a.jpg25a.jpg

26a.jpg26a.jpg

27a.jpg27a.jpg

Now that I'm previewing I think I will add some more "leaves" to the trees to make them a little fuller on top but without blocking any pf views... that's what's nice about no gluing or screwing - totally adjustable to suit your taste!

trees.jpgtrees.jpg

Have fun!

-Rod

#35 9 years ago

Wow, thank you very much for the kind responses!

To answer some q's (including pm's):

I removed her head to make it easier for cutting up the body - and yes, it was repositioned - everything was to try to make her as 2D as possible to fit yet still have a 3D persona.

It was a one-off for my game - not that I don't like to share but I do have a full-time job and it took a lot of time to test fit over and over - so sorry not making any others.

Also not interested in casting it for reproduction - anybody capable of that can simply follow my lead in creating a proto - have fun.

If you are going to go that way I recommend casting a first gen and modifying that by filling and cutting to make it even more 2D / flat and not have the cape encircle her - tolerances are too tight for a good mold to be pulled.....

-Rod

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 24.50
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 91.00
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games
Pinball Machine
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Soltic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ditch-the-witch-and-leave-the-trees-woz-mods?tu=Soltic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.