So my witch stopped working last week - bad witch! To properly test / inspect I pulled the assembly out. Lloyd is helping me solve what is most likely a bad opto. In the interim I finally took a close look @ the witch herself and realized that while she definitely serves her purpose well, that I thought I’d try my hand @ something more “custom” for our game (insert OCD-based insult from my wife). Kudos however must go to Matt for doing a terrific job to begin with – it was so nice to finally meet face-to-face @ Expo!
I figured I’d just do a sculpt and cast but due-diligence (laziness) led me to research if there were any action figures etc already out there that could be “kit-bashed”, and (go figure) I came across Hallmark ornaments – especially a new one called “It’s Shoe Time” (others have picked up on as well already).
I thought it was a great pose and the hour-glass especially added a dynamic effect to it as the Witch toy is a hurry-up to begin with.
And low-budget was a factor. So while I had all tools and supplies I convinced myself it was ok to spend the $23CAN or so before tax on the ornament.
So it became a project of measuring precisely (guesstimating (while drinking of course)), cutting and trimming super-accurately (wildly hacking the sh*t out of her), and tastefully reassembling (slopping it all back together). No biggie.
The pics should speak for themselves (oooh pretty pics):
Bad pic, shorter mount made from brass channel on-hand.
The assembly’s dimensions including the “sneeze guard” don’t allow for much play – tolerances are tight!
I thought it would be great to leave the cape / dress covering the base. The original sat above it allowing the base to be seen...
Also decided to use some black vinyl on the sneeze-guard top (I think I saw protos that had black plastic tops) as well as around the base to stop the light bleed from under the Castle pf and regular pf.
And while farting around w/ taking the assemblies apart continuously to check tolerances, those trees kept staring @ me…. (insert OCD-based insult from my wife).
So I ran the gamut of how to improve them from foam “leaves” etc to scale railroad tree supplies. But, like the Witch, I wanted something that would be non-destructive / can be changed back to stock. Furthermore it also had to be durable as those trees get a workout – last thing I would need is stuff falling apart or degrading onto the pf.
So I actually came across this @ a crafts store. Again, on the cheap & w/ a 40% or so discount (for buying so early in the pinball-modding season), tax in was just over $16CAN.
“Apples wrapped firmly first then “leaves” wrapped tightly overtop. This is what I flavoured to so far, may add some more “leaves”, already pared down some “apples” by last pic. Definitely adds some more detail to Matt’s sculpts!
Witch down (repeat we have a Witch down!):
Finals (sorry for crappy pics but hard to get detail through s-guard):
Now that I'm previewing I think I will add some more "leaves" to the trees to make them a little fuller on top but without blocking any pf views... that's what's nice about no gluing or screwing - totally adjustable to suit your taste!